Profile for Joan F. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joan F. "Joan F." RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Page: 1 | 2
Just Kids
Just Kids
by Patti Smith
Price: $18.36
122 used & new from $9.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Transporting., March 16, 2010
This review is from: Just Kids (Hardcover)
I can't say I've ever been a big fan of Patti Smith's music, and definitely not a fan of most of Robert Mapplethorpe's, er, art, but I do enjoy reading about music and the '60's. This is one of the most well-written and evocative biographies I have ever read about that era, or any other era for that matter. And I've read a million of them. A tremendous look at art, music, and the bohemian life in 60's/70's New York.

Too Much Money: A Novel
Too Much Money: A Novel
by Dominick Dunne
247 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Rehashing, January 14, 2010
I always enjoyed Dominick Dunne's work and this book is no exception. Still, it reads as if he put all of his past writings in a blender, mixed 'em up good, then spilled the contents into leather (paperboard) bindings. In other words, I think I read it all before. Still, props to you, Mr. Dunne.

Jericho's Fall
Jericho's Fall
by Stephen L. Carter
123 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Faithfully waiting., August 28, 2009
This review is from: Jericho's Fall (Hardcover)
Dear Mr. Carter: Please take your copy of "Emporer of Ocean Park" down off the shelf. Reread it. Then try again. Thank you.

Will You Take Me As I Am: Joni Mitchell's Blue Period
Will You Take Me As I Am: Joni Mitchell's Blue Period
by Michelle Mercer
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Of Its Subject, June 27, 2009
Nobody needs to tell Joni Mitchell that she belongs in the Pantheon, because she already knows it. But truth be told, she is great. Somewhere along the way, I came to the realilzation that her interviews are every bit as interesting as her songs, so I loved this book. It is the best bio of Joni I have read. Those who gave it less than four stars are just wrong.

The First Tycoon: The Epic Life of Cornelius Vanderbilt (National Book Award - Nonfiction)
by T. J. Stiles
Price: $28.59
75 used & new from $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue pencil, please, June 7, 2009
I guess I will take the minority position here and say that while I liked this biography, and admire the depth of research by the author, my humble opinion is that the book could have used some editing. I don't need to know the name and route of every single ship that sailed under the Vandy name to appreciate CV's achievements. It was a little rocky getting through the first couple hundred pages, but clear sailing after that. The best part of the bio is the recounting of CV's contributions to the Civil War effort.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2010 12:35 PM PDT

Power Play
Power Play
by Seth Kessler
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
198 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars His Other Books Are Much Better, February 22, 2009
This review is from: Power Play (Mass Market Paperback)
If you have never read Joseph Finder before, don't give up based on this book. His other books are a lot better. I found "Power Play" to be slow and predictable. Most of the "action" was simply the captives and the captors talking to one another. The lead characters were not particularly likeable, nor, with one exception, were the personalitys developed. Try Finder's other books - some are really good.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel (Oprah Book Club #62)
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel (Oprah Book Club #62)
by David Wroblewski
Price: $19.40
936 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, pretty good, October 24, 2008
How much does the ending of a story matter? Well, after reading a 500+ page tale that is beautifully written, original, and moving, I expect an ending of the same quality. As other reviewers have said, the ending to "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" is a bit of a letdown. It does not feel right, either emotionally or as a matter of narrative. I assumed the protagonist of the story was akin to the dogs he raised, given that like them, he could hear and react, but not speak. If this was indeed the subtext of the novel, I don't see how it played out in the end.

Still and all, the book is a unique reading experience heads and tails (pun) above the norm. I recommend it, but be prepared to imagine your own preferred conclusion.

American Wife: A Novel
American Wife: A Novel
by Curtis Sittenfeld
422 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Congratulations ...., October 10, 2008
This review is from: American Wife: A Novel (Hardcover)
... to Ms. Sittenfeld on a truly brilliant book. She is almost in the same league as Joyce Carol Oates, in my humble opinion. Although this book is based on the life of Laura Bush, it is somehow George Bush I will never again see with the same eyes after reading this novel. I can only hope that the author's future books will be of the same caliber as "American Wife."

Thrumpton Hall: A Memoir of Life in My Father's House
Thrumpton Hall: A Memoir of Life in My Father's House
by Miranda Seymour
92 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, except that ..., September 30, 2008
I really enjoyed this book and would have kept reading if it was twice as long. Just a great portrait of one of the last of a vanishing breed of great country home owners in England. Seymour's writing is crisp and clear, as she skillfully interweaves past to present.

My only comment would be that I never fully understood why the author hated her father. He evidently could be a little difficult - not exactly unusual - but he was hardly a monster. To me, he seems to have made the best out of being a man who no longer fit his times. Regardless, a book well worth reading.

What Was Lost: A Novel
What Was Lost: A Novel
by Catherine O'Flynn
Price: $11.47
339 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Spooky. Surprising. Excellent., July 25, 2008
This review is from: What Was Lost: A Novel (Paperback)
What a debut from a first-time author. This highly original novel tells the story of child-detective Katy, whose last investigation has surprising ramifications for a group of people who work at/live near a local shopping center. Is this a mystery? romance? drama? ghost story? You'll have no idea where this one is going, and you'll love every minute of it.

Page: 1 | 2