ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin Fire TV Stick Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more
Profile for JJ386 > Reviews

JJ386's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JJ386 "JL" RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Sapido BRF71n Smart Wi-Fi Wireless-N 3G/4G Router with 1 x USB and Built-in Power Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, easy yet powerful network device, April 7, 2015
It worked!

I get this in anticipating traveling abroad where broadband might not be readily available to me for months. With this, I can simply use it as an access point or a router, depends on the broadband I will be getting.

Set up was quick and easy. Just get your device connect to it. I did it on my laptop via wire. Type in into the address bar, hit enter, provide user name and password to log in. Defaults are admin for both.

After log in, you will be asked the type of broadband connection you want to set up. There are many options available. You can check user manual for details.

There is also a hardware mode switch allows you to choose among W/A/R. The switch is on the same side with the power plug. If you plug this to a wall outlet or power strip, it will prevent you from changing mode without unplugging it. If you use the micro USB socket to power it, then that's not an issue anymore.

According to Sapido, there are a total of 7 modes to choose from: wireless router (Router), public hotspot (WiFi ISP), wireless access point (AP), wireless bridge (WiFi AP), wireless distribution system (WDS), wireless repeater (Repeater) and wireless network adapter (Client).

It's quite amazing consider how small this is and the price point. Unfortunately, it's currently unavailable at Amazon.

I use it as a WiFi AP to extend my router's range. On the far end side of the house, I am getting really low signal strength from my router. I tried placing BRF71n closer to the other side, I get 3~5Mbps speed. Moving it around and found a sweet spot that's right across the router behind the wall & on the 2nd floor. I can get 12Mbps speed. My router can cover the far end. But I only get one bar and YouTube stutters. With BRF71n sitting across my router on the side of the wall, I can always get good to excellent signal on the other end.

I also paired it with a 3G broadband device via USB cable. It works great. The signal strength is very good. It also provides 40MHz, 20MHz or Auto channel width. This means you are getting 2T2R, 2 channels sending and 2 channels receiving.

There are many features I did not explore or play with including plugin a USB stick or USB hard drive. other reviewers seems to have successfully using it as an NAS-like device.

For a small device that fits in your palm, the capabilities it carries are simply incredible.

You can setup WPA2 mode for accessing your Sapido A/P. There is also an option to disable SSID broadcast. However, disabling it will also WPA2 security. Not recommended.

It's better have security than leaving it wide open. Hiding SSID is a good practice. But it's really easy to find. Using a 'good' password is more secure. Using a MAC address filter provides another layer of protection. I did not spend time to explore if BRF71n provides a way to filter MAC address.

I will add to this review if I explore more feature of this genius device in the future.

Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for an almost perfect product., April 6, 2015
We bought Protective Cases for iPhone 6 -SkyRox Anti Slip and Drop Protection Dual Layer Case with 3 Interchangeable Covers (Pink , Black , White) for iPhone 6 (4.7) - Best Shockproof Design along with this screen protector.

TL;DR - the short version
With a little bit patient and spend time to lay out the protector before pealing off the sticky cover while in a steamy bathroom, I achieved a perfectly installed screen protector.

I had installed a few screen protectors previously. There are basically two types - wet and dry.

The wet ones requires you to turn off your phone and remove the battery if applicable. It's fairly easy to apply and you can move it while installing the protector to make sure it align properly. It also requires you to let it dry for a few hours to 24 hours before using it. The benefit - easy installation and almost bubble free. The drawbacks - you can't use your phone for a while until it's totally dry.

The dry protector has a sticky back. You only get one chance to install it. If you did not align it properly, removing it will make it more prone to corner peeling and creating bubbles. You would need to spend time to align it first to study the layout. You will need to carefully clear the screen. The best environment is to do it in a steamy bathroom. The steam will settle the dusts and tiny particles in the air that creates bubbles. Then, you align it again to make sure the screen protector is properly placed before you peel off the sticky part (numbered 1). You really need to be 100% sure about the alignment before proceeding to apply it. The benefit - you can use your phone immediately. No waiting period. The drawbacks - you need to be patient and spend time to align it to be 100% sure.

While in the steamy bathroom and carefully and patiently studying the cutouts and alignment, I installed the screen protector on the first try.

NO bubbles.

It really surprised me. It's a perfectly applied screen protector. When applying the screen protector, I use the top down method. Peel off the #1 back, align the top with all cutouts properly, slide the screen protector down, voila, perfect 10!

I simply can't believe my eyes when I am done. Perfect alignment, no bubbles and so easy to apply.

After I applied the protector, it feels a little resistance when first using it. It's just not as smooth as without the protector. It doesn't hinder you from sliding your fingers across the screen nor does it make it feel you need to push your finger on it. It's just different.

As my review on the case stated that we "unintentionally" dropped the phone twice after putting on the case and screen protector. The screen protector has proved to protect the screen!! There are no scratches or lines on it, period!

All the cutouts are properly sized. When you slide you finger over the cutouts, you know they are there while it does not make your finger feel uncomfortable.

Everything you need is included - instruction booklet, lint free cloth, and the bubble remove card. There are 3 screen protectors included. Just as described. You don't need to look for anything preparing the installation.

While it protects the screen perfectly, it only covers the width of the screen. It's not as obvious if you have a case over the phone. You can still see it, though. Does it impact the usage? No. It's just that it does not cover the entire front may deter some buyers. The other thing is that it does not protect the "uncovered" area if you don't have a case with lip. However, with case, the unprotected area really is minimal.

Although it advertised as smudge free, it's not entirely true. I can still see my finger's trail when I tilt the phone to a certain angle to see it. It's not very obvious, though.

Since I knew it will not cover the entire front because of the curve on the front of iPhone 6, it does not make it a bad experience. For those buyers want to have a fully covered front, you will want to pass this screen protector and find something else.

The smudge does not bother me at all. It's just there. I do wish it's completely smudge free. You just can't have everything.

The most important thing is that it proved to protect iPhone 6 with unintentional drop tests when we first got the case and protector installed. There are no scratches from day to day use (been installed for 10 days).

With Anker's customer service reputation, I am confident that they will honor the warranty if there is a need.

BIG SALE Protective Cases for iPhone 6 -Anti Slip and Drop Protection Dual Layer Case with 3 Interchangeable Covers (Pink , Black , White) - FREE Screen Protector for iPhone 6 (4.7)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protection, April 6, 2015
First of, it's a great case for iPhone 6.

The Great Part (PRO)

Right after we got it, unintentionally, we dropped it twice. Both on a thin carpet in the office with concrete slab. There are no scratch, dent, or any damage to the phone. When we pick up the phone, we are so relieved!!

We choose this case because it provides excellent protection for the phone. We had the opportunity to prove it on the first day. :) The corner provides excellent shock absorption.

The case itself has the rubbery feeling but a little harder than rubber and softer than plastic. It's the balance for shock absorption while rigid enough to be "in shape". The top and bottom, including the corners are reinforced to provide all-around protection. The side bumper and the back are softer in comparison.

The back cover has the rigid plastic feel that makes the case feel strong and rigid. Without the back cover, you can twist and bend the case. With it, you can only twist it just a bit.

We really like this design. Why? This way, the inside material provides excellent protection on all covered areas because the softness. The outside, that's the top and bottom and the back cover provides great protection against drop, scratch and dent for the phone.

The case's front has a little lip over the phone. The iPhone 6's screen is a little curved as everyone has noticed. The lip may be a little too thin protecting the screen. A screen protector is essential for large screen phones anyway. If you don't have a screen protector, you should not complain the case does not provide enough protection.

Another benefit of this beautiful case is that there are 3 different back cover colors to use - black, white and pink. The product picture provides accurate color for the product and back cover. There is only one difference - the logo is now totally black. It doesn't use white which makes it stands out too much and we were worried about it. But we are very pleased with the black lettering.

Replacing the back cover is quite easy. Just as the product picture shows, give it a little squeeze and it comes right off. Our "unintentional" drop test proves that the back cover does not come off easily. We don't know if the back cover will still be tight as first we got if we keep change the back cover. We will update in a few months if anything happens.

Is it easy or difficult to remove the case? We had an Incipio case on a older phone and iPhone 4. It was too easy to remove the case on iPhone 4. On the "older" phone, it's so tight that removing the case also remove the back cover. Both provide excellent protection for our phones. Because the great experience with Incipio, we were looking for the same style case for iPhone 6 under Incipio. When we finally decided on this case, SkyRox, we were curious if it's easy to remove the case. We are very happy that removing the case is as smooth as slide it out while it's as smooth when we put it back on.

All the opening are big enough for accessing it. Even my fat finger can get to the ringer / silent button. Well, my finger nail, actually. :)
The headphone plug has the rounded triangle shape. The power and volume buttons are covered. But it's very sensitive and easy to push. The lightning plug and the speaker are wide enough. I bought two different lightning cables for my wife. She did not complain.

While there are no case that are perfect, we feel there is two little things that might make you feel uncomfortable that's may be worth mentioning.

Still remember about the removable back cover? Well, the area that covers the left (silent / ringer and volume buttons) and the right side (the power buttons) is a cut out. Since the material of the back cover is hard (not rigid) plastic, the cutouts are a little bit sharper than we liked. It does not cut your finger, though. But it does not let your finger slide back and forth without feeling a little bump. Please take a look at the two pictures. Unfortunately, all three back covers exhibit the same issue. The question is: does it stop you from using the case? No it does not. You will feel it ONLY when you slide your finger over the ledge. A little file or knife can smooth it out. I don't want to take the chance not knowing if smoothing it out will expose a different color. I think the manufacturing process can make a little improvement to make it a perfect experience.

In the mean time, we are wondering if my experience is unique since most other reviews did not mention this.

In the end, this case proved to provide protections for your precious iPhone 6 without adding bulk or cost you a fortune. The thin front lip and the rough edge can be improved by providing a little more depth and smooth out the edges. Both are not a deal breaker. But they do make it less perfect to get full five stars.

The added screen protector provides additional value to the already almost perfect case. Although I choose not to use it at this time. I used the Anker® [3-pack] Ultra Clear High Response HD Screen Protector for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) "XTREME Scratch Defender"[Lifetime Warranty] and we like it a lot. I will write a review on that later.

Please ask questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Battery Repair - the perfect doctor to boost your battery!
Battery Repair - the perfect doctor to boost your battery!
Price: $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Does it really help out?, January 25, 2014
There are no scientific measurable numbers available.

The number of hours it lasts before and after are not that different.

The tool does not show any measurable impact it had on the battery.

I would not recommend it.

Philips 9006 CrystalVision ultra Upgrade Headlight Bulb (Pack of 2)
Philips 9006 CrystalVision ultra Upgrade Headlight Bulb (Pack of 2)
Price: $20.09
10 used & new from $16.07

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a light bulb, January 25, 2014
I have high expectation on getting better view at night replacing the light bulbs on my 2002 Camry that's more than 11 years old.

* Sharing noob experiences
When I tried to install it, I thought I got the wrong one. After panicking a bit, I settled down and look at the other light assembly. Took it out and voila, it works.

So, yes, it works on a 2002 Camry. They designed it well that it will now allow you to install in the incorrect socket.

* Performance
I bought the replacement because my wife complains about the headlight. It seems dim where some light is available. After researching finding out what I need and what's available, I settled on the Philips CrystalVision Ultra.

After figuring the right socket to install and put it in place, the first night out was not eventful. All I got was simply an: "Oh, you got a new light bulb." Well, it does a better job than an 11 old bulb. Not by much, though. I have to agree.

Does it make you see better like the picture shown? Not really that much difference. It's just a bit brighter than the yellowish old bulb. It's definitely brighter & whiter. The distance it covers is not that big of differences.

It's cheaper than others. $16.99 + $5 shipping. The seller, Hopek, is great.
After waiting a bit after expected delivery date passed, I contact them, he promised to send out another one next day. USPS messed up a few packages this holiday season. After I got his email, USPS delivered the same afternoon. I contact them not to send it out.
I am very delighted to purchase from Hopek and will do more business with them in the future.

Zehui Metal Spudger Opening Repair Pry Tools for Ipad, Iphone, Ipod Touch Samsung One Piece
Offered by EF-Cloud
Price: $1.90
25 used & new from $1.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice tool!!, December 7, 2013
One line summary:
It's a really simple and nice tool.

It comes in a plastic bag for storage. Not the usual grocery store plastic quality. In fact, it's a nice quality thick blue / clear plastic bag - one side blue, one side clear.

Usage Experience:
I've used it to pry open my dying Sansa Fuze mp3 player with ease.
I tried a small flat head screw driver, those used for glasses and tiny electronics, to open Sansa Fuze. But it did not work.
After receiving the Zehui Spudger / Pry Tool, I tried it on the same Sansa Fuze, it works perfectly.

Detail Product Description:
It has a little bit of weight to it. Not the thin / light variation. The weight and thickness make it easy to hold and use. It's also the right length in terms of both the heads and the tool.
As shown in the product picture, it has a flat & round head on one end and a slight pointed head on the other. It's not as pointed / sharp as the picture shows. It's a little bit rounder. Really nice round edge.

The only minor drawback is the edge is not as clean as it can be. I can see a little bit rough edge. My fingers can also feel the rough edge. Although it will not hurt your fingers / iPads / MP3s.

Overall, I am quite happy with the tool. It's light weight, sturdy, well thought out tool. It's simple enough to use, to pry open the case. It will NOT damage your precious electronics - although you might after it's pry open. :) It would be perfect 10 if all the tiny irregular edges are perfectly smooth. But, as it is now, it's perfectly useable. It's a nice addition to your tool collection.

Lipper 8825 Bamboo Cookbook Holder
Lipper 8825 Bamboo Cookbook Holder
Price: $15.31
9 used & new from $12.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid construction with a few minor, October 2, 2013
All in all, a very handy device for holding books and devices.

Quality -
When we first got it, wife found a few green tarnish / rust over the hinge area. It's no big deal. It can be easily cleaned using a brush. So I did not bother Amazon with an return / exchange.

Usage -
It has many position to support your book / device. From a low angle to a comfortable 60 degrees.
We have it only a few weeks and used it only a handful times. All are well so far.

When raising up the holder, it feels the hinge not very sturdy although the bamboo feels very strong.

Drawback -
If your book is thick and heavy, this might not be the best holder.
When turning page with the support at lower position, you might find the book is a little difficult to turn page. Just need to be a little extra careful.

Andis 1600-Watt Pro Style Dryer - White (40055)
Andis 1600-Watt Pro Style Dryer - White (40055)
Price: $13.99
15 used & new from $12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the others, October 2, 2013
We bought this because the old hair dryer died.
The old one was noisy and felt flimsy although it was cheap.

Size -
It's compact and not as big as the others. While it's not as compact as folding hair dryers, it's not much bigger.

Construction -
It feels sturdy and stronger, not flexed. It's very well constructed. It also feels like it can last a lifetime. :)

Noise -
It's so much quieter than other high power hair dryers. You don't have to shout to be heard. :)

Button Layout -
All the buttons are in the right place. Easy to understand and easy to use.
I don't like the others that you can push a button to get temporary cool air. It's confusing and requires extra effort / finger to use.

Usage -
When we got the new one, we tried it out and we like it very much!! It's much better than all those high power hair dryers.
Yes, the max power output (wattage) is less than other 1850. But it's plenty for my thinning hair and wify's full hair.

As far as longevity goes, we only have it a few weeks. With the solid construction, I feel it's going to last for a long time.

Brother MFC-7340 Flatbed Laser Multi-Function Center
Brother MFC-7340 Flatbed Laser Multi-Function Center
4 used & new from $102.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great all-in-one printer, December 17, 2009
Easy to install.
USB 2.0 connection.
Very easy to use - all in one Laser - prints, copy, scan & fax.
Cheap to purchase and operate - separate toner cartridge and drum.
There are many options to adjust print and scan qualities.

It prints very quickly. I normally print 1~2 pages at a time. It spits out 1st page very quickly.
It also prints out several copies quickly. You can choose not to collate to save on toner & drum.
It does not curl papers like my 10+ years old HL-1040.

I've copied a few pages. The quality is adjustable and output is fine.

Scans fairly quickly - a lot of options to change resolution, photo/text/web, size, etc.
You can scan from the panel or from your computer using Brother's ControlCenter3 software (PC and Mac).

The included/download software provides many customization - including to customize the software's UI to perform specific functions. There are 4 sections - Scan, Custom Scan, Copy and PC Fax. Each section provides 4 buttons. Scan and Custom Scan allows you to quickly perform specific scan function (Image, OCR, eMail, File). Both Scan and Custom Scan allows you to further fine tune scan options - File Type, Target application, dpi, color or B/W, doc size, etc.

You can fax with and w/o a computer - I did not try fax.

Other Features
It comes with a 35 pages automatic flat bed sheet feeder (ADF) to copy, scan and fax pages of documents. The input tray can hold up to 250 pages. Everything is concealed and helps to keep dusts out.

Power Consumption
It wakes up quickly when in sleep mode. It also consumes very little electricity (10W - according to spec) in sleep mode - although it could be lower. From spec: Power Consumption - Sleep/Ready/Copying - 10w/75w/460w.
Although it did not cause flicker like my older HL-1040 (10+ years old), it did cause one UPS to beep while others on the same circuit did not respond.

You have to install the software came with the machine first.
It will ask you to plug-in the USB cable after installation is completed. The CD will reboot the machine to complete installation. After that, you will get the Brother sets of tools including ScanSoft PaperPort 11, Brother's ControlCenter3 (to scan, copy and fax from your computer) and other diagnostic / support tools.
After installed from CD, you can download and install the updated software.
If you install the downloaded software first, it will NOT install ScanSoft PaperPort 11 (OCR software). However, I have only used it one or two times, the OCR software seemed ineffective to recognize and format the final document properly as scanned original version.

It has worked VERY well to suit my need. I used it mostly to scan and print; while copy and fax will come in handy.

I originally wanted to get a networked AiO machine. But I learned that their scan and other functions does not always work flawlessly and not as fast as a regular AiO one. So I settle for this. Wife complain not being able to use the new toy - not sure if she really needs it :)
I purchased a Kensington ShareCentral 5 @ Fry's on sale a few weeks ago. It worked great with this AiO. It worked beautifully. Both PCs can now scan, print, copy and fax directly to the AiO. I also plugged in a USB hub to Kensignton ShareCentral 5. It also worked well to connect my external hard drives.

Kensington ShareCentral 5 for USB Device Sharing  (K33901US)
Kensington ShareCentral 5 for USB Device Sharing (K33901US)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, November 29, 2009
I just bought this from my local Fry's while it's on sale for $7.99 after rebate.
Setup takes only a few minutes.

I am VERY thrilled how easy it was to setup this device and connect other USB devices to it.
It is now connecting 1 Brother MFC-7340 to 2 PCs - my wife was screaming that she was not able to print to the new printer I just purchased. I also hook up one 4-port USB hub to it. The hub has four external USB HDD drives connect to it.
Both my PCs recognize the MFC and the drives without any problems and all functions are available to both PC when the user switch it over.

The only issue is that Kensington Share Central will automatically switch all devices when a PC boots up. Therefore, it forces the user to manually switch it back if he/she want to use the connected devices. This issue can become a huge problem if a file is being copied/moved or an important operation is interrupted. Kensington really should fix the firmware in the device to prevent this from happening.
It is a little bulkier than I would like it.

Overall, it's a great device to share USB devices between two computers in close proximity.

Page: 1 | 2