Profile for dudesimon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 122

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dudesimon "dudesimon" RSS Feed (Austin, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Cars 2 Wall Clock
Cars 2 Wall Clock
Offered by Copycat Collectibles
Price: $28.99
3 used & new from $28.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, September 12, 2014
This review is from: Cars 2 Wall Clock (Kitchen)
Way too loud. Seriously, you can't sleep in a room with this clock.

Non-Stop
Non-Stop
by Brian Aldiss
19 used & new from $2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sci-fi story, September 12, 2014
This review is from: Non-Stop (Paperback)
Great sci-fi novel about life on a generation starship (though the passengers don't know that's what it is). Great look at the culture and so many cool ideas. The recent movie Pandorum stole liberally from Non-stop.

The Sword Of Rhiannon (Planet Stories Library)
The Sword Of Rhiannon (Planet Stories Library)
by Nicola Griffith
18 used & new from $11.44

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought I'd enjoy this more, September 12, 2014
I thought I'd enjoy this more, but it just kind of breezes by. Some neat ideas, but mostly a re-hashing of Edgar Rice Burrough's Mars and Venus books. An adventure book with almost no action. The battles are short and barely described, hand-to-hand action suffers the same fate. I think the Sword of Rhiannon gets used once, which should tell you something. Still, short enough that it's still worth the time.

Read Thuvia, Maid of Mars instead (or at least first).

Hiero's Journey
Hiero's Journey
by Sterling E. Lanier
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
33 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book whatever your age., September 12, 2014
Great book. One of my all-time favorites. I read it about 30 years apart and enjoyed it immensely both times. If this doesn't make you want to play Gamma World, nothing will (the original, of course). The second book is just as good, and it's a shame Lanier didn't write the third in the series. Intelligent bears, moose-horses, warrior priests, irradiated cities, tough pricesses who get rescued but aren't helpless at all, evil monks with lightning guns, I could go on and on. A fun book with lots of great ideas.

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set: Fantasy Roleplaying Game Starter Set (D&D Boxed Game)
by Wizards RPG Team
Edition: Misc. Supplies
Price: $12.95
63 used & new from $8.41

5.0 out of 5 stars The art is great (though I miss Erol Otus, July 23, 2014
I bought this set with a gift card, so the price didn't matter much (though it's worth noting it's $20, about what I paid for the original red box in 1981, so I don't know how you can complain. All-in-all, I think it's worth a purchase if you are interested in 5th Edition D&D even a little.

The art is great (though I miss Erol Otus, Jeff Dee & Bill Willingham) and the adventure seems fun and relatively easy to run. I wish it'd come with some kind of DM screen, like the old modules always did (and while the maps look great, you'll have to make copies or cut them out for easy reference).

I never played editions 3 and 4 (and I think there was a 3.5) so I can't compare it, but it's not much harder than the old-school system I used to play. It's a bit odd to have to use the rules PDF to create a character (creating a character isn't something for starters to do?) but the PDF is free, so again, it's hard to take complaints too seriously.

I think like always, you'll have the die-hards who insist this version is terrible for one reason or other, or object to anything not written by Gary Gygax (I sympathize, I'm old school too) but like I said, all-in-all, this seems like a nice set of rules for getting started (unless you want to open this box and create a character).

Anyway, I've had fun the last few days just reading through it. Oh--and a couple of neat things: the box is big enough to keep some character records, dice, and figures in (the old ones were always too small) and I like the "expanding vision" repeat of art from the rulebook to the adventure (a nod to Erol Otus's covers of the old Basic and Expert sets, I suspect).

Journey
Journey
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $11.00
46 used & new from $4.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Same name--different sound--very good album, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Journey (Audio CD)
It may sound corny, but if you like Big Country or the Alarm, you will enjoy this album. Mike Peters does not sound like Stuart Adamson, and he doesn't try to, but the album works anyway. Mike's a sincere singer, and pulls it off (even the original Big Country songs when he sings them live with the band) because you can tell he cares about this band and these songs.

I like "Last Ship Sails" the best, a good, driving, upbeat tune, and "The Journey" and "Another Country" are also great--there's really not a bad song on the album.

Just saw them live in Austin and it was an excellent show--very energetic and just the right mix of old and new songs. Some of these reunited/reconfigured bands seem like they are just out to make a buck, but not Big Country--you can tell they still care.

John Carter (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
John Carter (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
DVD ~ Taylor Kitsch
Price: $12.99
61 used & new from $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfairly maligned adventure., July 6, 2012
A heck of a fun film that most people will never see. It's too bad Disney wimped out and didn't market it well or enough. It's also too bad the director or screen writer tried too hard to explain everything about Mars before the film even started.

But once the first confusing 5 minutes or so are over, it's an amazingly good adventure movie. Lots of action, wonderful characters and creatures (in particular the Martian dog and any Thark, male or female) and a bunch of good action and CGI. The film is just plain beautiful to look at--dying planet or not, you're ready to go to Mars by the end of it. And the sky ships are just amazing--I could have watched those all day.

If they'd skipped the humorous but unenecessary framing device of having Edgar Rice Burroughs in the film, and just gone right to Mars, it'd probably have done much better. It's too bad the filmmakers didn't have more confidence in the material and the story itself, to say nothing of the actual title, A Princess of Mars.

I'm willing to bet the hordes of people who went to see Prometheus would have been much happier after seeing John Carter.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2012 6:03 PM PDT

Bob and Doug McKenzie's Two-Four Anniversary
Bob and Doug McKenzie's Two-Four Anniversary
DVD ~ *
3 used & new from $31.95

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, for die hards only, June 6, 2012
I got this for my wife, and it's mildly amusing. Lots of stuck together stuff and some random new material, nothing as good as the original bits. Though it's fun to see crowd shots and other interesting memories of the early 80s when Bob and Doug were all the rage. This looks like it was mostly about paying the bills, but still, a little new Bob and Doug goes a long way for longtime fans.

Catching Rays On Giant
Catching Rays On Giant
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $11.99
38 used & new from $4.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, great Alphaville, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Catching Rays On Giant (Audio CD)
If you found this page somehow, you should just go ahead and buy this album (or stream it, or whatever). If you've liked any of Alphaville's songs or albums, you'll like this. It's got the great upbeat dance songs (Gravitation Breakdown, I Die for You Today, and the amazing The Things I Didn't Do) a good mid-tempo dance number (Carry Your Flag, which reminds me of Salvation's excellent Monkey in the Moon) and some reasonably good slower songs. It's a lot like Salvation, though I'd say song for song it's better.

It's amazing that Alphaville's albums are still so fresh and powerful, and Depeche Mode's have become blah and monotonous. There's something to be said for not being too ridiculously successful, I guess.

All You Need Is Now [CD/DVD Combo] [Deluxe Edition]
All You Need Is Now [CD/DVD Combo] [Deluxe Edition]
Price: $13.11
21 used & new from $6.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, some good songs, May 5, 2011
A pretty good DD album. It's too over-produced for my taste, but there's still some good upbeat songs, such as All You Need Is Now, Runway Runaway, and Girl Panic. The ballads are hit-or-miss, and Simon whines his way through too many mid-tempo songs. Some folks like that, not me. To each his own. It's definitely better than most of RCM, about on par with Astronaut. Certainly nowhere near as good as Rio, Seven, Notorious, etc. I give them credit for still putting out good albums, but wish they'd trust themselves more and ditch the hotshot producers that end up making albums that sound more like the producer than like Duran Duran.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2015 1:44 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13