Profile for Anne-Marie G > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 532

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anne-Marie G RSS Feed (Near D.C., USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Card 'N' Go Seek Game
Card 'N' Go Seek Game
Price: $13.66
2 used & new from $13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Fun Game, August 2, 2015
This review is from: Card 'N' Go Seek Game (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I could see this game being completely hilarious.

I played a round with my family, and we are all being pretty lazy about not wanting to get up and grab things. By the end of the game it was quite the challenge to see what you could grab to the a description on the cards.

Its not a complicated game in terms of how you play. A few cards are dealt and flipped over, everyone has to grab something they can that matches one of the cards (for example, something "blue").

I could see this getting pretty inventive the more rounds you played. Definitely will try playing this one again.

Odysseus: The Oath
Odysseus: The Oath
by Valerio Manfredi
Price: $15.83
51 used & new from $0.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, July 25, 2015
This review is from: Odysseus: The Oath (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not in love with this book. I could see someone else enjoying it though. I'm not a huge fan of first person narratives--but loving Odysseus I figured I would give this book a try. Manfredi (in his author note) says he chose to use very simple language, to keep it in tune with Homer.

He clearly is very familiar with the myths, I just was unable to get really into the narrative or to care too much for Mandredi's Odysseus.

Minus a few sex scenes I'd say this would be a good book for young teen boys.

Rollback (Sci Fi Essential Books)
Rollback (Sci Fi Essential Books)
by Robert J. Sawyer
123 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Sold Sci-Fi and Storytelling, July 24, 2015
Really enjoyed reading this book.

Sarah and Don have been married for 60 years. It just so happens that 30 years ago, Sarah while working for SETI was able to decode the first message from an alien planet. Finally a response comes in--transmission time between planets is not speedy. An very rich man offers Sarah and Don an offer that is hard to refuse: a rollback. He belives that Sarah is the person the aliens are communicating with--and with her being 80 and having to wait over 30 years between messages it only makes sense that she be given one. The procedure is expensive and she insists that Don gets one as well. Problem is: the rollback doesn't end up working for Sarah.

Interesting questions are explored in this, when Don is now living in the body of a 25 year old and Sarah is still getting older and older as an 80 year old.

There are interesting characters and dilemmas, it is a well paced story that doesn't leave you bored. Definitely will check out more books by Sawyer.

UP3 by Jawbone Activity Tracker, Black
UP3 by Jawbone Activity Tracker, Black
Price: $149.99
14 used & new from $112.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Self-Learning Tool, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I haven't worn or used any of the other fitness wrist trackers out there. I have used pedometers and my phone as a pedometer...

What I find most interesting about this is its ability to track my sleep--which as someone who can have a slightly irregular schedule, is good. It quantifies as best it can, how much and what kind of sleep I am getting every night. It can also be programmed to give you a little buzz when you need to go to sleep and to work as an alarm clock--which I find really interesting. It is a little more effective in some ways than the classic loud noise clocks.

One draw back that I have picked up on is that you need to let it know when you are trying to fall asleep--otherwise it will stay in "Active" mode. You do have the option of going back the next day and confirming what it thinks your sleep hours were, but if you say suddenly find yourself napping on the couch in the middle of the day it won't pick up on that.

To switch between modes (or to turn off the alarm feature) you need to tap it. It can be a little un responsive at times to the taps.

I do also enjoy the little tips it offers, it also notices trends in your behaviour and offers suggestions based on those. Interestingly, one day I forgot to put it on and it continued to track my movement thru my phone.

So far I am finding it useful.

Monster High Freak du Chic Circus Scaregrounds and Rochelle Goyle Doll Playset
Monster High Freak du Chic Circus Scaregrounds and Rochelle Goyle Doll Playset
Price: $39.67
17 used & new from $32.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the Doll, But Price tag isn't worth it, July 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Some good and bad with this set.

Pros: Rochelle is an adorable doll. Her hair is very cute in the curls, the makeup is fun and inkeeping with the theme of the set. I love her swing. She sits on it and it attaches to the rest of the set with a "tight rope." I also like the Manny Taur cut-out and it has some fun little masks for the the dolls to 'wear.'

Cons: The rest of the set/stage. It is flimsy, parts of it fall off right after you put it together--and is NOT worth the price tag. Even a little kid being careful with this is bound to lose pieces or accidentally break it. It just isn't durable, and I don't see it being that much fun (beyond the swing.)

Million-Dollar Bride
Million-Dollar Bride
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Total Lunacy, July 3, 2015
This is the most ridiculous romance novel I have read in a long time.

Like completely over the moon nuts.

I have no idea why these two characters actually ended up liking each other, they just had a bunch of traumatic events that they were thrown together for happen to them...but to consider it love?

At one point the main character is enthralled with a haystack.... I just will leave it at that.

Humans (Neanderthal Parallax)
Humans (Neanderthal Parallax)
by Robert J. Sawyer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
75 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Great Sci-FI, July 3, 2015
First book in a long time I really got sucked into.

I read the first book in this trilogy when it was published in Analog, and I am just now reading the sequel. I'm glad I did though, Sawyer has a great style that really pulls you in. His ideas are grounded in science, so while I am being entertained I love that I am also learning to think about new ideas.

This story follows Mary Vaughn and Ponter Boddit during the second meeting--after Ponter convinces his world to reopen the portal between the two earths. It is cultures colliding more than anything, showing that as alike as Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens are they are very different and have been since the beginning.

It is clearly setting up for the third book, and I will be reading that when i have a chance.

It is a book that does what Sci-Fi should. It uses modern science and fictional writing to explore who we are and why we are the way we are.

Playing it Cool
Playing it Cool
DVD ~ Chris Evans
Price: $10.24
44 used & new from $1.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Time, June 26, 2015
This review is from: Playing it Cool (DVD)
Ugh.

So bad. It has an amazing cast that I wanted to see succeed in this movie...but it just didn't happen.

Firstly, I never got any chemistry coming off between the leads to sell me on this being a love story that could rise above RomCom tropes while also embracing AND making fun of them.

Which right there, big problem. I know from interviews, that Chris Evans (the unnamed lead character in this film) enjoys a good rom com--however, I think he might be the only one involved in production of this film who does. This film was almost never funny and definitely not romantic. It is best watched thru Youtube clips of Tumblr gifs.

I'd love to see Chris Evans in a really successful romantic comedy, as I think he definitely has the charisma and acting ability for it, this wasn't it though. Both Nanny Diaries and What's My Number are better at being somewhat romantic and Not Another Teen Movie is definitely funnier (which says a lot).

Here's the pros: great cast, great setting, some interesting efforts at being creative (best one was C. Evans character putting himself in others' shoes--including a historic K-drama sajeuk...)

cons: NO chemistry between the leads, really weak characters and storyline, not funny or romantic really

DII Bone Dry Warm, Soft, Plush, Microfiber Pet Blanket for Couch, Car, Trunk, Cage, Kennel, Dog House, Blue
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a great option, June 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like this so far (and so does Gus.)

As soon as I took it out of the package and put it down on the ground Gus was dragging it around wherever he went.

It is a very soft, a pleasant soft blue gray color. It looks like it will hold up well and not get all matted looking the way some plush fabrics do.

The pattern is also adorable in person.

PonoMusic Pono Portable Music Player, Black
PonoMusic Pono Portable Music Player, Black
Price: $399.00

4.0 out of 5 stars New and Different and Neat, June 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So far I like this quite a bit. Right off the bat, it comes in a gorgeous box, it is a little wooden case. Honestly, opening this was the most fun, I've had in a while when it came to an electronic. It was just a very attractive experience.

It takes a little while to intuit how the menu on the touch screen works.

My biggest complaint about this is its like of wifi or blutooth capability. To load or play songs it needs to be plugged into either speakers/headphones or your computer. I understand for the playback that it would probably diminish the sound quality it was going for if it wasn't played over cables. But I would love it to have wifi capability to download songs and play lists.

The triangle shape, while very different, makes it ideal for being a little party play back device, it gives a better sense of security for staying where you put it than the flatter (more pocket sized) conventional devices.

I am sure as I continue to use this I will enjoy it more and become more comfortable with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20