Profile for Anne-Marie G > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 463

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Anne-Marie G RSS Feed (Near D.C., USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $29.95
20 used & new from $20.51

4.0 out of 5 stars About What You'd Expect, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this after not having played with a Transformer since I was a kid with the original toys. He's a lot smaller than those.

I did pass him to my sister's boyfriend for a night so he could play around with him "using no directions" which was pretty fun to watch. Between him and the directions however, we couldn't find a place to put the extra swords that he comes with. He can hold them in his more hominid shape but there doesn't seem to be a place to store them when he is a car. That is unfortunate--because that means they will get lost pretty quickly by most kids.

Even thought he's pretty small, he seems fairly durable, and the directions are pretty straight forward--he is also pretty easy to get out of his packaging. Overall a decent toy, but nothing too exciting.

Letters of Note: An Eclectic Collection of Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience
by Shaun Usher
Price: $30.15
39 used & new from $24.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a Really Cool And Interesting Book, June 26, 2014
This is a great book.

I have been taking my time getting to know the letters inside of it. It really shows how a person's own voice can be captured in the written word. It has such great things as Louis Armstrong giving advice and Elvis asking for a special agent badge from President Nixon. It also has letters from lesser knowns, but still equally interesting to read. They are great "slice of life" letters and would make a great coffee table book, gift or something to explore in a creative writing class.

Just really neat book--and the letters are presented in their original form (if that is an option). It is a large hardcover, with dust jacket and a fancy built in ribbon book mark. It has a better quality paper in it. And each letter comes with a little introduction explaining the history around it. It is a great way to learn more about historical events as well.

Kernel Season's Cheesy Seasoning Variety Pack, 2.85 Ounce Shakers (Pack of 3)
Kernel Season's Cheesy Seasoning Variety Pack, 2.85 Ounce Shakers (Pack of 3)
Offered by thebargainbox
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum!, May 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All three are super tasty.

I think White Cheddar might be a controlled substance in some countries though, it is that addictive.

I've only tried them on popcorn, but I could see them working really well on toasted bread (Garlic Bread Style) or in mashed potatoes.

The bottles have little holes on the top, like salt and pepper shakers, so you can sprinkle the powder on your popcorn.

I will say that the powder does stick to your fingers, so have a napkin handy to clean up the sprinkly bits that fall on you.

A pretty guilt free way to spice up your popcorn.

Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Mask, 6 Ounce
Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Mask, 6 Ounce
Price: $2.99
3 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Its Good, May 21, 2014
I like this.

It smells nice, my hair mostly feels pretty soft when I am using it. Though it hasn't done anything for the ends of my hair which are starting to hit the really dry point where I can't ignore my need for a hair cut.

It rinses out easily.

My hair is really fine, curly and colored, as well as always having been prone to split ends. So finding something that makes it feel soft is great.

London Pottery Geo 4-Cup Teapot, Lemon
London Pottery Geo 4-Cup Teapot, Lemon
Price: $36.39
3 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Just So Cute, May 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Its so adorable. How can I not love it?

My one real complaint about this tea pot is that it doesn't come with any instructions. Nothing on how to brew tea or on how to take care of the pot. (Such as what is best for cleaning it and its infuser basket? Or is it safe for me to put on a little hot plate?).

I've never brewed tea in a pot before, so some guidance would have been nice. I guessed as best I could and it turned out fine, but I know other people really do love their instruction manuals.

It holds plenty water, I wasn't able to drink all of the tea I brewed before it went cold. But I felt so marvelously bohemian sitting out in the sun with a book and a mug of tea with my pot just waiting for me to pour more from it.

I poured boiling water from an electric kettle into the already scooped in tea leaves that were in the basket. Testing it a few minutes later the handle never got too hot for me to pick up, it managed to stay mostly room temperature. I did have possible a little too much water in it because when I moved to poor it some of it spilled out of the spout.

It kept it warmish for quite a while, maybe an hour (though not hot, hot.)

I ended up getting the red color (can't complain when it is an item I am receiving to review) its a rather dusty red, not vibrant. Its still adorable though.

I Am Otter
I Am Otter
by Sam Garton
Price: $12.05
60 used & new from $4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Cute Book, May 21, 2014
This review is from: I Am Otter (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the illustrations on this book. The colors are eygrabbing, the character is just endearing and adorable.

Otter is a rather mischievous pet who does his best to keep himself and his friends (various stuffed animals) entertained and out of trouble, of course that doesn't always happen and messes occur.

It is a really fun and playful book, little kids will enjoy hearing this story. Its imaginative and encourages imaginative play.

Fan Art
Fan Art
by Sarah Tregay
Price: $13.86
36 used & new from $9.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Bit of Fluff with Just the Right Amount of Depth, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Fan Art (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have not read too many other gay YA fiction titles. Its a pretty small niche with regards to ALL of the YA lit that is out there.

This is a nice coming of age/fluffy romance book. It has some really witty and well written lines and dialogue. Each character is well written, and considering this book is written in first person (Jamie, a popular kid who ends up crushing on his best friend Mason) is quite the feat.

I enjoyed reading this. The characters are fun, and very typical high schoolers-- the author did a good job of really capturing what teens are about as well as being pretty current. The characters are also not cookie cutter YA characters that you often encounter, most of them are their own unique selves, which is really refreshing.

It is a bit longer than a lot of similar novels (fluffy romance YA) but it doesn't drag.

It also is a bit unconventional in its format in that thru the book there are pages of the high school's literary magazine prefacing the chapters. So poems in the voices of the students/characters in the book.

Jouer Tint, Petal
Jouer Tint, Petal
Price: $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I use this almost daily now, May 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like using this as a blush. I use my finger tips to apply it and it goes on very smoothly without feeling too greasy or oily. The color looks natural on me (I have pretty fair skin) and it stays put for most of the day.

I also tried it as a lip tint and found it less successful that way. Applied to my lips it actually is oily and doesn't stay on too long.

The compact is a nice little size (I don't have any other Jouer products, but it does have the ability to interlock with them so you can create your own makeup kit). It usually takes me a few tries to find the right side to open it on, but that could just be me.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, Book 1)
by Cassandra Clare
Price: $7.37
469 used & new from $0.73

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Waste of My Time, May 20, 2014
I read this book because a friend foisted her copy on me with a "you'll love it!" Okay, sure. I've read lots of YA novels, and my tolerance for mediocre writing is pretty high.

This is not mediocre writing.

This is bad writing.

None of the characters are more than cookie cutters. I didn't care about what happened to any of them. Their dialogue is flat and never character specific, any of them could be speaking the lines and it wouldn't matter--their voices are not unique to them.

Not only that but the main character (a Mary-Sue of the highest order, "Clary" "Cassandra Clare"...yeah) engages in some seriously horrible behavior. As a protagonist in a book where she is painted as being a bit of a moral compass, she regularly bashes and hates the only other female character in her age group the reader is presented with. Why does she hate this other girl? Because she is tall and pretty. Something the main character isn't (in her mind, but she does have men falling all over themselves for her).

There is something very unfocused about how the whole story unfolds, as well. This is possibly because Clary just jumps into the world and goes along for the ride without really questioning it.

The best parts of the book are when Clare describes the world around her flatter-than-Stanley characters. The demon party she has them crash, or the vampire lair. In those moments I was much more interested in the scenery and the backdrop characters than the main troop, however.

I was a big fan of Cassie Claire's 'Very Secret Diaries' series back when the Lord of the Rings movies were being released, but nowhere in this book did I see the playfulness and humor that I enjoyed so much in that little bit of fan fluff.

There are other YA fantasy novels that are much more enjoyable to spend your time with.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 3:37 AM PDT

Quartet Alphacolor Chalk Sticks, Assorted Colors, 8 Colors, 12/Pack (305003)
Quartet Alphacolor Chalk Sticks, Assorted Colors, 8 Colors, 12/Pack (305003)
Price: $8.90
5 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Colors, May 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I must have lucked out, my box arrived with all of the chalk intact. The container once open can be resealed, so that's nice.

I ended up using it on paper as an art chalk, and it worked pretty well. The colors stay fairly true to what is pictured and it blends without much trouble. I like how vibrant the colors are.

When I have a chance to use them on a chalkboard I will update my review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20