Profile for Archie Pyle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Archie Pyle RSS Feed (Everywhere)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Destination Tokyo
Destination Tokyo
DVD ~ Various
Offered by feed_your_tv
Price: $7.09
114 used & new from $1.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A multi-dimensional WWII movie., April 13, 2008
This review is from: Destination Tokyo (DVD)
I just finished rewatching this great war movie in honor of the anniversary of General Doolittle's 1942 raid on Tokyo. After watching, I'm in awe of all that's going on in this movie. The special effects are top notch for a movie made during war time---seeing the sub going through authentic looking Japanese mine fields was nail biting. Cary Grant is very effective as the captain with a great supporting cast---I sure did underrate John Garfield--he was one heck of an actor. This does not have lots of action--instead, it focuses on the trails & tribulations of the crew & their living environment under extremely harsh conditions while trying to complete their mission. It's a compliment to the director that the focus is not always on the star--Mr. Grant--but instead the main focus is on the mission & we also get to know a little bit about many a crew member. Give this flick a view---I guarantee you'll sit through this strapped into your seat. I salute our Silent Service.

For Me and My Gal (Snap Case)
For Me and My Gal (Snap Case)
DVD ~ Judy Garland
41 used & new from $1.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! This musical has it all!!!, March 29, 2008
I'm ashamed to admit I had not seen many of Judy Garland's movies. After watching this beautiful film, I've now added quite a few to my collection. I never realized Judy could REALLY act as well as sing and dance. "One of the greatest performers", as my mom used to say. I'm a believer now! She & Gene Kelly have a chemistry that looks easy & Gene was also a very underrated actor. I loved everything about this movie--the music, settings, history of performing at the start of the 20th century. It's one of the few mvoies about WWI that shows a little of how it was "behind the front lines". I also like George Murphy. A great movie that's more than a musical--it shows the twist and turns of life and how we all need to be held responsible for our actions. GREAT FILM!!!

Peter Gunn, Set 2
Peter Gunn, Set 2
DVD ~ Craig Stevens
Offered by too many secrets
Price: $99.99
47 used & new from $3.41

5.0 out of 5 stars What fun to watch!!!, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Peter Gunn, Set 2 (DVD)
Like most baby boomers who watched this show, we remember the theme song.
What a treat to find these two editions on sale & purchase them. It's the Maltese Falcon/James Bond character, played by Craig Stevens, rolled into one. The plots vary in quality, as do the tranfers of this product. But, that's not what matters--it's the style, era, sets, music & the hot(for it's time)chemistry between Mr Stevens & his gal, played by Lola Albright. It's like stepping back into the hip coolness of light jazz, big cars, the whole era of the late 50's. I wasn't aware of the major influences of the beatniks until seeing this show. Stereotyped, but now informed of the contributions they don't get credit for. I wish they would release Surfside 6, 77 Sunset strip, Mr. Lucky & others in this field. Anybody who wants to remember the golden age of real detective shows would enjoy these two volumns--1 & 2. BUY!!!

Naked City - Portrait of a Painter
Naked City - Portrait of a Painter
DVD ~ Harry Bellaver
30 used & new from $3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great TV shows in television history!, March 27, 2008
Anybody that wants quality in their TV viewing should buy this show--& all The Naked City DVD's available, like I have. Not only are the scripts usually 5 stars, but I like how the series stars (Paul Burke, etc.) don't "hog" the spotlight--they let the guest stars be that--guests, but still the regulars are essential to each episode. Way ahead of it's time & I now see how other detective shows--Hill Stree Blues, Cagney & Lacey, etc. borrowed from this classic series. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Police Woman - The Complete First Season
Police Woman - The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Angie Dickinson
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $69.99
29 used & new from $18.96

5.0 out of 5 stars This series shows when class was of importance!, March 22, 2008
I had never seen this series in reruns & remember how much I liked Angie in this role. So I glad I bought this DVD set. Tranfers are great & I enjoy the music, acting, everything from this time frame. I never realized how much long hair was in at that time--also the wide ties. Miss Dickinson has class & substance--we seemd to have substituted flash for those 2 lost qualities in today's shows. Great entertainment. BUY!

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection
DVD ~ Burgess Meredith
Offered by Paint it Orange
Price: $131.88
50 used & new from $67.97

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great buy!!!, March 22, 2008
After reading the various reviews from fellow co-buyers, I decided to add this set to my collection. I'm so glad that I did. The quality of the transfers to DVD is the best I've ever seen, & the shelf space this set takes up for a 28 disc set is very small. It contains tons of extras & the price breaks down to a little more than a $1.00 per episode. It was delivered in 3 days & I'm super pleased with everything--price, quality, delivery. One reviewer said it might help the economy to buy this set, so I took him up on his advice. Anybody that likes this series should highly consider adding this to their collection. A GREAT DEAL!!! Five stars all the way!!!

Naked City - Prime of Life
Naked City - Prime of Life
DVD ~ Harry Bellaver
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $6.24
33 used & new from $2.25

5.0 out of 5 stars "In Awe of this Classic Show!", February 26, 2008
This review is from: Naked City - Prime of Life (DVD)
I just started to collect this series one month ago. Now I own all volumns avaliable. This 4 episode DVD is a classic. "Prime of Life", dealing with an execution of a deserving killer, is pure writing/acting genius at it's best! This was done over 46 years ago & sure beats anything on TV today. From the photography, music, location setting, the styles of the day--add these qualities into top-notch writing & it's a winner all the way. It's like Film Noir in a tv show for many of the episodes. The "Father of Hill Street Blues." My favorite detective is Frank. If you would like to experince what TV once was & hopefully could be again, then buy this highly enthrawlling series. Top favorite of mine.

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (Color Special Edition)
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (Color Special Edition)
DVD ~ Hugh Marlowe
Price: $17.09
42 used & new from $10.51

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classic 1950's Sci-fi movies!, February 15, 2008
I rate this right under the Original War of the Worlds 1950's Sci-fi movies. The story is tight, fast-paced & original in thought. The special effects are great & I love the many twists an turns this flick takes. I'm also a fan of Hugh Marlowe & Joan Taylor. I'm so glad to finally own a version of this in color. HIGHLY ENJOYED!!!

Naked City - Set 2
Naked City - Set 2
DVD ~ Paul Burke
Offered by BLgroupliquidations
Price: $17.00
18 used & new from $1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality TV show from the Past, February 15, 2008
This review is from: Naked City - Set 2 (DVD)
I barely remember this TV show when I was a kid. I had remembered the line..."There are 8 million stories in The Naked City..this has been one of them." I knew it had been a quality show, so I decided to take a chance & buy the first season. WOW! The guest stars are many & the acting & stories are tops above any of the trash on TV today. I like how the lead actors never hog the spotlight, but add their special abilities episode after episode. The locations, black & white photography & music all add to this special show. One also has the option of watching this with original commercials. I now own all the Naked City sets that one is able to purchase! As usual, Amazon was first rate in their delivery to me within 5 days. Anyone who likes quality detective shows would go for this series. This & Peter Gunn are my favorites. FIVE STARS!

20 Million Miles to Earth (50th Anniversary Edition)
20 Million Miles to Earth (50th Anniversary Edition)
DVD ~ William Hopper
Offered by Paint it Orange
Price: $9.49
56 used & new from $5.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A baby-boomers Delight!, August 4, 2007
I didn't know what to expect with a colorozed version of this movie, as the past attempts have left me shaking my head. What a treat this DVD is.
I really enjoyed the extras--to finally find out what happened to Joan Taylor was revealing---she made so few movies, but she was good in what she did. To find out she married THE LEONARD FREEMAN of Hawaii-Five-O fame blew me away. Also, to see that RH help consult the colorization gave me faith in the product. Although not my favorite Sf--fi of RH, it's well worth the price. Also, to hear they're gonna colorize "Earth Vs.the Flying Saucers" & one more of Ray's made me excited. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that very few get that with me. BUY THIS if you are a child who grew up in the 50''s loving Saturday afternoon at the flicks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4