Profile for como651 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 104

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

como651 "Summit Guild" RSS Feed (Saint Paul, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Promate Frameless Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask, Black
Promate Frameless Scuba Dive Snorkeling Mask, Black
Offered by GetWetStore
Price: $28.99
3 used & new from $27.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect mask for river snorkeling, August 27, 2014
They came really close to making the perfect mask for river snorkeling. Most masks feel like they are getting pulled off your face when snorkeling rivers with currents especially when rock hopping rapids - not this one. The low profile cuts the turbulence in half on your mask. The fit is very comfortable but still leaves lines on your face for a few hours after 4 hours of wear. Seems a bit less quality than brand name masks like Scuba Pro. The quality of the mold leaves it a bit rougher surface on the outside like matte instead of gloss but the inside is gloss to insure a better seal. The strap is a bit lighter gauge but so far has been very durable. I suspect it will last. The only reason why I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is it seeps water a little more than an average mask. I had my friend try it and he said the same thing so it's not just my face. Just enough to irritate you. I fixed this by putting purge valve in now it works great except for one last thing and that this mask fogs worse than any other mask I have ever owned. The first time I had to leave water inside the mask to slosh around the entire time or it would literally fog in 30 seconds even after spitting in it. The next dive I thought I'd be ready since I rubbed it out with toothpaste but it still fogged like crazy. The 3rd use I took a toothbrush with tooth paste to it twice more then rubbed it with dish soap and let it set for an hour. Finally before getting into the water I rinsed it then used professional anti-fog solution on it. It was only marginally better but halfway through my dive the water got warmer and fogging got less to the point it was fairly clear to see out of. I suspect in warm water this mask would be fine just not in cold water. I plan to use a lighter to burn whatever coating they put in it out. If they fixed the fogging problem, used a little better mold, heavier duty strap, and put a purge in this mask it would be worth spending $100 on because the low drag and exceptionally good viewing angles make this mask the best I've used. You can't notice the frame from your peripheral view due to how close it sits to the face and width and shape of the lens. It's a great design. Also, I would only buy this in black rubber because it cuts down on glare from the sun.

Coleman Big Basin(TM) Big and Tall Sleeping Bag
Coleman Big Basin(TM) Big and Tall Sleeping Bag
Price: $54.90
38 used & new from $49.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Warmth is relative, February 23, 2014
You will find that when reading reviews for sleeping bags some will claim a bag is warm while others said they froze in it and give the bag fa poor review for this. I want to point out that warmth is relative to the user. Someone who is very large and fills most of the volume of the bag and has high body fat will be a lot warmer than someone who is half the size with low body fat. When choosing a bag you must size it correctly and do not blame the bag if you get cold if you sleep in a t shirt and have 5% body fat.

I am 5 foot 9 with around 18% body fat which is probably around average for most men. I used this bag once now and was very cold sleeping in it but I don't blame the bag. I blame myself for not utilizing the bag correctly. I went camping on frozen lake Superior in February with an outside air temperature of around 6-7 degrees on a calm night so windchill was not a factor. I slept in a Northface Extreme Cold weather tent built for the military fully closed with outer fly over it. This is a warm tent as far as tents go.

Here is what I had for layers, short sleeve cotton T s***, long sleeve cotton T shirt, thin long sleeve wool cotton blend shirt, Eddie Bauer down vest, snow pants, ski mask, and cotton socks. I had a Coleman padded open foam self inflating mat and this sleeping bag zipped up with the baffle nearly closed just enough to breath fresh air. I heated the tent before going to sleep to about 40 degrees. Within an hour I woke up shivering. My entire upper body was cold and my feet by far were the worst. If I moved my feed just an inch it got even worse. I underestimated the cold that night and paid the price. I got up and put on my Columbia ski jacket which has a shell and inner Omni heat liner. I could do nothing for my feet. My upper body warmed up enough that I could fall back asleep but never did I feel truly warm and my feet suffered all night.

What I did wrong was not bring my 20 degree bag and stuff it inside this one, wear down or wool booties, and start off with another layer like a thick fleece jacket. Had I done that I would have been toasty warm. I did want the over sized bag specifically for winter camping to allow me to stuff another bag inside but due to having to hike in dragging a sled I had to travel light and only brought the one bag thinking it would suffice.

There is no bag alone that will keep you warm. If you only intend on using a bag with light layers then you must get a bag with the least amount of volume that you can still fit in. This is why mummy bags are warmer even with the same insulation thickness. Also, if you are a thin person don't expect to be warm as a person with a lot of body fat. Having an extra 30 pounds of fat on your body is like having a second sleeping bag. This bag relative to other 0 degree bags is what can be expected. It is more comfortable than most bags. It would be nice if it came with a compression sack. I did use my Coleman compression sack and was able to get this down small enough to barely fit into a back pack - just barely. It is not really intended for backpacking but it is possible. The zipper has a guard to prevent the fabric from getting caught but it does create a little more friction than an average zipper other than that no complaints, this is a good bag.

Merrell Men's Ice Jam 6 Waterproof
Merrell Men's Ice Jam 6 Waterproof

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight with thick socks and comfort not the best, February 15, 2014
I've been wearing the Columbia Merrimack for several years and received these as a gift so tried them out.

I wore them once and went back to the Columbia Merrimack boots for these reasons:

1. The heal is slightly raised. If I did not have bad knees and a bad back this would not be a game changer but especially with bad knees any elevation of the heal puts unnecessary stress on the knees which is immediately noticeable. For this reason alone I stopped wearing them after one time.

2. Not as comfortable. The synthetic upper polymer material meant to keep the water out is much stiffer than natural leather which my Columbia boots have.

3. They seem to run slightly on the small side for a winter boot which should have a little extra space for thicker socks. I have to wear thin sport socks with these for them to not feel too tight. Since they have 400 grams of insulation it's probably not too big of a problem in most situations but I wanted to point this out for those who are looking to buy these for outdoor sporting purposes and will be in the cold for long durations and want to wear thick warm socks. If you just need a boot for day to day activity outside then these are fine since a thinner sock will work.

I only wore them once on a cold day in December probably somewhere in the teens and with the 400 grams of insulation they were warmer than my 200 gram Colombia boots. I'd expect these would be warm enough for winter camping where boots with 200 grams are good for day to day activities but I would not trust them to keep my feet warm camping in the winter.

I do plan to put them to the real test camping on frozen Lake Superior and exploring the sea caves but plan to bring my Colombia boots in case they get too uncomfortable on the knees. I will update at a later time.

Frigidaire FGMV174KF 1.7 Cu. Ft. 1000W Gallery Series Over the Range Microwave - Stainless Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Fan malfunctions at random times, February 8, 2014
The fan will come on by itself at random times and will not turn off until I unplug the microwave. This happened several times over a period of a couple months then again occasionally. This started happening about 2 years into using it. It hasn't happened recently, probably not for the last 9 months or more. Hopefully, it will not return. The fan is also fairly loud to the point you have to elevate your voice to carry on a conversation. Everything else is average but it sure looks nice and that is why I was foolish enough to buy it. I would have given it one star if not for the fact you can work around the problem by unplugging it and plugging it back in to get the fan to turn off and I can live with the noise it makes.

30 In. Gallery Series Freestanding Gas Range with 5.0 Cu. Ft. Self Clean Oven - Stainless Steel
Offered by Home Care Company

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the nice looks, February 8, 2014
Everything was working fine on this stove when it was new about 4 years ago but slowly over time I had to push harder and harder on the push button display for it to work. After a year I was pushing the commonly used buttons several times just to get the thing to work. After a about 2 years it became nearly impossible to use because even when I'd manage to get the bake button to activate, after punching in the baking temperature I was not able to get the start button to actually turn on the stove. Some of the numbers would fail to work also at times so I was not able to bake at desired temperatures and had to use the next closest temperature I could get the buttons to work for. At first I thought the contacts were worn out and thought I'd have to replace the digital display push button panel but after removing the ribbon cables from the circuit board to the digital control panel and re-connecting them again the control panel miraculously worked again. I've now had to do this a second time. It seems like this problem is progressive and worsens to the point of having an inoperable stove every couple of years. I was originally going to give this stove 1 star for this reason but since the work-around only has to be done every year or two and is relatively easy I've decided to give this stove 3 stars instead. I should not have to troubleshoot and fix my stove within two years of buying it and have to repeat this ever year or so. The other problem is the heat from the burners is enough to slow warp the face of the plastic control panel over time. Mine now has noticeable ripples. The plastic is permanently deformed due to heat. The best thing about this stove is the center griddle. It lets you cook two pancakes at a time and you can keep stuff warm on the edges. It cleans up easily. The oven bakes evenly - no complaints there other than it seems to cook at a bit lower temperature than what you think you are at. I find I have to go 25 degrees higher than a recipe says or increase the bake time by about 25%.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2014 10:57 AM PDT

SportDOG 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence System, SDF-100A
SportDOG 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence System, SDF-100A
Price: $259.95
57 used & new from $239.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for Big Dogs, January 1, 2014
I have a 90 lb German Shepherd and this Fence contains him most of the time unless he is motivated enough to want to get past it. He knows if he runs fast he can get through it with minimal to no shock. I use it on one setting below maximum. I've not tried it on full correction strength but I doubt it will deter him at this point. He knows he can get get past the boundary and the best way to do it but most of the time it is not worth the effort so he doesn't do it. I've even been able to stop using the collar for a while and he is conditioned to not leave but after a couple of weeks he realizes he does not have the collar on and can go where he wants so I have to put it back on him for a while.

Some advice for those new to this invisible fence system. Make sure you have fresh batteries the first time you use it or you will be wondering why your dog ignores the shocks even at the highest setting. It will still appear to be working with weak batteries because it will still make sounds but the shock will be much weaker and not enough to deter a dog from crossing the boundary. Secondly, if you do not have the settings on the transmitter just right the collar may go off accidentally around the house. You need to play with the settings on the transmitter to get that to stop. I also notice it will go off if it is put too close to electronic devices around the house.

Also, you do not need to buy the expensive splices to fix breaks. I use a wire nut then seal it with Amazing Goop for plumbing which is 100% water proof. I've made several splices this way where I had breaks and they've held up great. I was told by Sport Dog's customer service not to use any other splices and that wire nuts were the reason for the collar randomaly going off around the house but I've since disproved that claim. Other advice would be do not bury the wire directly up the property line. I did this and my neighbor put several breaks in it when he aerated his lawn.

Do not try to make your own break detector with an AM radio receiver and an RF Choke (part number 273-102) from radio shack. You will be wasting your time. I found out the hard way that the transmitter uses a much higher frequency than AM radio. Older transmitters used to use AM frequencies but not this so the radio will not receive the break signal when trying to locate. They sell a break detector that uses a lower frequency that can be picked up by an AM radio. The kit includes a small mountable AM radio for this purpose and works very well locating breaks. It looks and feels cheap but works great. If you are too cheap to buy this your only other option is to guess where it may have broke then dig up the wire and check it.

In most cases you can find the break that way because you will realize the fence is not working after some project like planting shrubs or digging around your yard etc. Go back to your work site and check all the spots you may have dug into the wire then expose the wire to see if it is broke. In one case, I broke a wire with a solar yard light I stuck into the ground and hit the wire. Eventually, you will get a break that even your best hunch will not find. Mine came when frost heaved the ground and caused a concrete block to move that broke the wire. Never would have found it by guesswork.

The collar receiver is a bit bulky even for a large dog but my dog does not seem to mind. He is excited for me to put it on because he knows he gets to go outside. They are not suppose to wear it for more than 8 hours at a time but I've forgotten to take it off at the end of the day and he's slept with it on and he's never seemed to be bothered by it. It can be used on dogs as small as 20 lbs but I think there smaller collars out there that would be better for that small of a dog.

Battery life seems very good. I use a Duracell Alkaline which probably lasts at least a year. You could even get a rechargeable 9V battery and charger but battery life is so good that I think throw away batteries are justifiable in this case. I've had my fence for over two years now and it has been a good reliable product.

Lake Superior Rocks & Minerals: A Field Guide to the Lake Superior Area
Lake Superior Rocks & Minerals: A Field Guide to the Lake Superior Area
by Dan Lynch
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $10.86
41 used & new from $6.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference for Lake Superior stone identification, January 1, 2014
This book has a lot of nice color photos of all the stones you will find on the beach of Lake Superior and surrounding region. You'll see photos of stones you may have found but did not know what they were. It differentiates the different types of agates which I found useful since this is what I primarily search for. It is small enough to fit nicely in a backpack or large pocket. I highly recommend this as a field book.

The Urban Treasure Hunter: A Practical Handbook for Beginners
The Urban Treasure Hunter: A Practical Handbook for Beginners
by Michael Chaplan
Price: $13.34
66 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Written by a Smart Guy, January 1, 2014
I got this book for my Brother as a gift. He was excited enough about it to call me to share what he learned from it. He had nothing but praise for the author. I read the first chapter myself and can tell this was written by someone with brains. He has a college education in anthropology so applies a lot of his knowledge using a scientific approach to treasure hunting. This is not just some book written by a laymen weekend treasure hunter with a metal detector although most of his writing focuses on the use of a metal detector. He shares a lot of good ideas of where and when to look for treasure and gets you thinking in directions you normally may not think of yourself. His interest and background in cultural anthropology clearly resonates in his writing which makes the reading more interesting than just about finding old coins and gold. This is a good book.

Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA with Premium Cables, Premium Connectors and Premium Materials
Price: Click here to see our price
25 used & new from $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good most of the time, January 1, 2014
I bought this and the RCA basic antenna at the same time to try both. Both are sold at Walmart. I paid about $70 for the Mohu Leaf Ulitmate Amplified HDTV antenna and $10 for the RCA. I put the Mohu on a 46 inch HD TV and the RCA on a 65 inch TV. The 65 inch TV was in my basement where you'd expect worse reception while the other TV is on the upper level of a split level. What I notice is both antennas give the same picture quality as Comcast Cable TV service relative to each TV. So I do not think the amplified antenna makes much difference if the signal coming in is already good.

I set this antenna up in a location where the auto program function on the remote would find all the major networks and then some. I had to move it a couple of times because it would miss one the first time through. I live in a major city in which the furthest major network broadcast tower is no more than 25 miles away. Even that close if the antenna was not positioned right it would miss the broadcast tower furthest away. Once I got all the channels to be programmed into memory I hid the antennae behind a painting by tacking it to the back of the frame. This comes with little two little holes just for this purpose which is nice. You still have the bright white wire running across your wall but if your wall is white it may not been too noticeable.

Overall this antenna is slightly better than the RCA since the RCA seems to lose signal a bit more often requiring repositioning of the rabbit ears. How often? With the RCA I find I have to move them maybe 2-3 times a week which is not bad while the Mohu only lost signal once in the first week I've used both. I did not bother trying to repositioning it and it finally found enough signal strength to re correct itself. What you will notice when you lose signal strength is the picture will get pixalized and choppy unlike the white noise and moving lines you would see with analog signals. When this happens the picture is more or less not viewable.

With the rabbit ears you can just get up and move the ears until the picture comes back. With the Mohu Leaf, although it does not happen as much you can't just get up and readjust it if you have it tacked high on your wall somewhere or behind a painting. You basically have to wait until the signal fixes itself. This is something to be aware of. I suppose if you find the sweet spot on your wall you may never need to worry about this but then again this could be along process of moving the antenna and reprogramming the computer several times to find out where this spot is. Another thing is the amplifier must be connected for this to work at all. It's not like it works then you attach the amplifier and it works better. It is a case of it does not work at all if you do not use the amplifier. I thought about bringing this back and just getting another $10 set of rabbit ears but those things are a lot more visible and you need to velcro them down so they don't get bumped and fall off your TV. Not worth the hassle. Relative to the price the RCA rabbit ears are a better deal. Both will give you good picture quality with little hassle.

Revgear Spartan MMA Fight Short
Revgear Spartan MMA Fight Short
Price: $44.63 - $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars More uncomfortable than an Armbar, December 25, 2013
These shorts are horrible compared to Sprawl Brand shorts. There is absolutely no comparison. You truly get what you pay for when it comes to MMA shorts. The biggest complaint is they do not have an elastic band in the waist. My waist runs between 31 and 32 inches depending if I'm cutting up or not. I bought the medium which is for a 32 inch waist. Right now I'm wearing 32 inch pants and these shorts fit like 33 in the waste. Because they have no elastic I have to draw the draw string in super tight to hold them up and they cut into my waist and are uncomfortable. This is a huge flaw just so they can save a few dollars on the cost of making them.

Overall, the stitching and fabric is way cheaper than in my Sprawl shorts. The second biggest complaint is they are cut for someone with an out of shape body. They may fit OK for someone who is just getting into the sport. If you have a developed body with a lot of muscle in your legs and low body fat they will be too tight relative to your waste size.

I do not like the split at the bottom of the legs either. They flare out and look ridiculous. My Sprawl shorts do not need to split the legs because they have built in elastic fabric that is much more stretchy on the inside of the legs than the stretch fabric in these. I am sending these back and getting another pair of Sprawl shorts even if they cost twice as much. I'd recommend anyone who is thinking about buying these go try a pair on then try on some Sprawls at a store first. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2015 8:47 AM PST