Profile for como651 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

como651 "Summit Guild" RSS Feed (Saint Paul, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black
Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black
Offered by SquidFly
Price: $149.99
20 used & new from $102.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad after all, July 27, 2013
I originally gave this one star after it clogged and I had to clean it out. After cleaning it would not grind beans. The motor would spin and the beans would bounce around in the hopper with only a few getting through not much smaller than when I put them in. I could not figure it out. I took it all apart and examined how it should grind and it made no sense at all. Just as I was about to break it all apart in frustration I discovered I had left the top part of the grinding burr out after cleaning. I put it back in and it was like a miracle. The lesson I learned from this is never grind more beans at a time than the reservoir can hold and always keep track of what you take apart. If you grind more beans than what the reservoir will hold, they will back up and clog, especially the oily beans. By the way, I contacted Bodum customer service not asking for a new one but just ideas how to fix it and they offered a free replacement as long as I had the receipt up to two years after purchase. I did not even buy it from them but from Macy's online and they still offered to replace it. Still think the coffee doesn't taste as good as out of my cheap Krupps blade grinder but its a lot easier to use.

American Optical Flight Gear Original Pilot Sunglasses, 52mm lens, Matte Chrome Frame, True Color 30060
Offered by Urban Eyewear
Price: $39.99
9 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Under Priced, July 15, 2013
Being a diver I find nearly 300 pairs of lost sunglasses per summer so have owned and worn nearly every brand, make, and model. I've worn Oakley, Gucci, Prada, RayBan etc.. They all are about the same in quality although I have seen $300 plastic Gucci frames that were not straight and could not be fully straightened. These rank as high in quality as any of them. This is the first pair I've found and will be replacing a pair of Oakley as my go to sunglasses. At around $50 this is a steal. I would expect to pay $130 or more for similar Ray Ban Aviator style sunglasses. The metal is very high quality - not flimsy at all. Took me a while to adjust them. They are stiff. The lens optics are good although mine had a few light scratches when I found them. Slide on and off easily but the fit feels secure. If you are looking for good quality and don't care about the name you should check these out.

Cilio Porcelain No. 6 Filter Holder
Cilio Porcelain No. 6 Filter Holder
Offered by BESTBUY'S
Price: Click here to see our price
27 used & new from $19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my Bunn Drip Coffee Maker and Happy, February 27, 2013
I had an expensive Bunn drip Coffee maker but even that did not reproduce the quality taste I was looking for. It was better than any of the other drip makers I had used but still did not come close to coffee shop quality. Since using this I've stopped using the drip maker. There are several advantages to this over a drip machine. You have greater control over how much coffee you want to make. You can make anywhere from one cup to a full pot. Clean up is easier. It is more sanitary. The taste is better because I can brew directly into my thermally insulated cup then quickly put on the lid. This is unlike a pot which sits on the burner to keep the coffee hot until you are finished brewing before you can pour it into your cup. The burner taints the flavor. This seems to be of good quality. The porcelain seems durable not thin and fragile. I expect that this will last a lifetime if it does not fall onto a hard floor. There have been some complaints that the drip speed is either too fast or too slow. I do not agree with these complaints. What I've realized is that the drip rate starts out fast then slows as the grounds begin to clog the filter. This is too your advantage because as the flavor is extracted from the coffee it takes a slower drip rate near the end of the cycle to get the remaining flavor out of the grounds. It is not so slow that your coffee is not hot at the end. The design is simple but genius. It will take about a week of getting used to but after that you will be making the best coffee of your life.

Le Creuset 1.8 Quart Stainless Steel Tea Kettle
Le Creuset 1.8 Quart Stainless Steel Tea Kettle
Offered by Cutlery and More
Price: $99.95
3 used & new from $99.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design poor durability, February 27, 2013
Pros - Good design. The handle is high and pivots so you can fill the top with water without it getting in the way. The lid fits tight. It looks great. The balance is good. It's small and lightweight. The handle does not get too hot. It cleans very easy.

Cons - Rusts from normal use. Even without chipping the enamel it will rust from underneath then the enamel will flake off. The whistle does not blow loud enough to hear it if you are outside your kitchen. The whistle will fall out eventually and it will never stay back in if you put it back without falling out soon after.

I've owned mine for around 6 years or more. I used it about once a week until the past few months when I started to use it every day for boiling water for coffee. I did not even know it was rusty until I soaked the inside with vinegar and water overnight to clean out the hard water deposits that had collected on the inside for 6 years.

I would not buy this tea kettle again. If there is an all stainless steel version of this it would easily deserve 5 stars (assuming the whistle was not a separate piece that could fall out and was a little louder). It would be as close to the perfect tea kettle as you can get then. Unfortunately the rust make this not worth the price.

Victorinox Swiss Army 3-1/4-Inch Fibrox Straight Edge Paring Knife, Black
Victorinox Swiss Army 3-1/4-Inch Fibrox Straight Edge Paring Knife, Black
Price: $7.76

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Wustoff, November 23, 2012
I own an earlier model of this knife as well as a $35.00 Wustoff Grand Prix2 paring knife. Somehow I find myself reaching for this knife either as much if not more than my expensive Wustoff. This knife does not feel as sturdy as the Wustoff but holds an edge just as sharp and for just as long. It is not so flimsy though as to hinder performance. It is by far the best knife for the money. This knife is holds up over years of use. The blade does not get lose or wobbly over time. This is a very good knife in spite of the seemingly light weight construction.

DEWALT DCD920KX 14.4-Volt XRP 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver Kit
DEWALT DCD920KX 14.4-Volt XRP 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver Kit
Price: $180.00
15 used & new from $144.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for it's era but not no more., September 3, 2012
I have owned this drill since it came out around 15 years ago. I'm on my 3rd battery and 2nd chuck. The original two died after around 7 years and the replacement is almost dead. The tool itself seems indestructible. The problem is the batteries ability to hold charge drops significantly after the first year it seems. After than you are constantly having to put the battery on the charger in the middle of a project. I want to get a newer li-ion drill with impact driver but this drill just won't die on me to justify the new purchase. The battery good enough to get me through most around the house projects at this point but it would not hold up to professional daily use. The bottom line is this was a good drill driver for it's time but from what I hear the newer technology far surpasses what this drill driver has to offer especially in the battery department.

Edit 2/8/14 - I've since learned that leaving this type of battery stored in cold temperatures will diminish the battery life. I would leave my battery on the charger in the winter in the cold garage. I think this was why my batteries would get weak after one year. For its time this may have been a five star product but better technology exists so I'm leaving this at 4 stars.

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools DFSA98-CP Flash II Knife with Part-Serrated Folding 3.5-Inch Steel Blade and GRN Camo Handle, Hardcase Black TiNi Finish
Price: $56.00
34 used & new from $50.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, August 1, 2012
Pros - Spring action opening works good. Although made entirely of plastic the handle seems sturdy. It rates high on the coolness factor. The metal clip is positioned and designed well to not interfere with your handle grip.

Cons - Blade is a little wobbly after use. Can't tighten it without a very small torx type driver bit. There is a safety lock switch that if left locked will prevent you from opening the blade quickly in a knife fight. It could mean the difference between life and death against someone who's knife does not have a safety lock switch to disengage first. Also, if you are a paratrooper and get stuck high in a tree with one arm pinned or broken and need to cut your self free you do not want to fumble around with one hand trying to disengage the safety lock for fear of dropping your knife. This knife also could get you in trouble with the law. It could be interpreted as a switch blade knife by any officer who subjectively views it as such and land you in court. There have been cases of people wrongly arrested for carrying this knife in the State of CA where it is legal. Something to be mindful of.

Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-14ZSF Zytel Desert Special Forces Big Dog Tanto-Style Blade with Combo Edge
Price: $46.73
72 used & new from $41.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Some minor drawbacks, August 1, 2012
Pros - Cool looking, smooth opening action, non-reflective, solid construction.

Cons - The thumb peg is worthless for flicking open your blade. You have to use one of the finger guards instead which is a little more awkward. They could have easily place the thumb peg in a location and angle that would have made for quick and easy blade opening with the flick of the wrist and thumb. The security lock for the blade is annoying and unnecessary and adds one more simultaneous step to close your blade. The screws that hold the clip on are very small torx type heads which unless you are a knife hobbyist or collector, you probably won't have the tool to remove or tighten the clip screws. The metal clip for your belt or pocket when stretched too far open gets sprung and loses it's memory therefore making it too lose to securely clip in the future.

Overall, due to it's coolness factor and solid construction I've given it 4 stars.

LifeProof Case for iPhone 4/4S - Retail Packaging - Black
LifeProof Case for iPhone 4/4S - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $78.47
3 used & new from $56.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Water resistant not water proof, July 25, 2012
This case is not water proof only water resistant. I can assure you if you leave this case with a phone inside under water for too long it will get wet. I now have an iphone sitting in a bag of dry rice attempting to bring it back to life. There are few things I know of to be absolutely water proof. They are Casio watches, GZ1 phones, and Olympus and Fuji water proof cameras. This case is not water proof. If you think your phone will never be submerged for more than an hour you may be OK with this. Just don't count on bringing it scuba diving.

Samsung ML-2510 Monochrome Laser Printer
Samsung ML-2510 Monochrome Laser Printer
Offered by Shopping_Service_onLine
Price: $369.99
22 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANT! READ THIS REVIEW, July 21, 2012
I have read several of the 1 star reviews on this printer and they share a common theme. It starts out working great at first then you get poor paper feed reliability and paper jams after using it for a while. This was exactly what I had experienced early with this printer and it wanted to throw it out for this reason. I tried different paper, different paper thickness, I even tried to manually help push the paper through as it printed but nothing seemed to help until I found out the reason for my frustration. There is a small rubber paper feed roller that needs to be cleaned periodically. You just have to open the front of the printer, remove the toner, then use a cotton swap or Q-tip to clean the rubber roller with cleaning alcohol. It is located just behind the toner at the center near the back of the printer. Do this and your frustrations are over. I find myself having to clean it about every few months with average printer use. This really is a good printer. It is fast, cheap to operate, and reliable when cleaned periodically. Hope this helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 9:06 PM PST