Profile for Robert Merritt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Merritt RSS Feed

HP IPAQ rx4200 Mobile Media Companion
HP IPAQ rx4200 Mobile Media Companion
Offered by SmartMediaUS
Price: $109.00
10 used & new from $67.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PDA for the Money!, May 6, 2007
I've now have had this for over 2 months now. I still use this for my golf GPS as stated below in my original review. I added Car Navagation GPS for driving that works wonderful. I added a car charger adapter so it is always plugged in. I use it at work for MP3s. I have used the internet HOWEVER most internet sites use 800 X 600 when the IPAQ uses 320 x 240 so most websites don't look very good on it. I haven't used the email but I'm sure it works fine.

For anyone who is looking to update Word documents on this, you must be out of you mind. The productivity of this is so much slower than using a laptop. Who would want to write/edit word documents using letter recognition is beyond my understanding. Get a Laptop. Look at the reviews and see what people are using it for. Reading books, GPS navigation, MP3 player, email access. That is the purpose of this device. It isn't a replacement for a laptop or desktop.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I was looking for a golf GPS system. The devices they use for golf GPS are around $200 - $350 but they are only good for golf. Most of them require yearly subscriptions. If this is the route you want to take, I suggest the Igolf product. You pay the subscription for a year but it includes all of the USA and the courses can be stored on your PC. You could just end up paying the subscription for one year and quit because you would already have all the courses you normally play stored on your computer. There might be some issue with your course not being mapped and they will charge you to do it.

I wanted to get a Pocket PC / Palm to use for the same purpose. I could use the device for golf, car, MP3 player and access to email when I'm away from home. After looking at reviews they suggested the Palm TX. I would have gotten this one but it appears most of the Golf GPS software was made for Windows 2003/ Windows 5. That eliminated using Palms. My next pick would have been the Dell Axim v51. However, I wasn't willing to shell out the money for one. I went with the HP Ipaq 4240. One more thing to consider, If you buy a Pocket PC with an integrated GPS, the battery life of the device decreases immensely. I suggest getting a Pocket PC with integrated bluetooth, wireless and a SD card available and get a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

First of all, I've had this for about 2 weeks it works fantastic. I would Highly recommend getting this device. I got it for about $250. I also got a Bluetooth GPS receiver for $89. It is the i.trek M5. The golf software I use is GolfTraxx. I was able to use this yesterday for the first time and it paid off the first hole when I hooked my drive about 40 yards off the fairway. There would have been no way for me to quickly measure the distance. The GPS told me 150 yards. I was able to put the next shot next to the green. With GolfTraxx, if the course isn't already mapped, you can map the course yourself using google earth. I have done 6 courses already. They usually load the courses by the next day. Best of all, there is no subscription fee! The device is really small. It an fit in your pocket easily. It is about the size of my wallet. The battery life is great. I was able to play 18 holes and only used 50% of the battery life. I had the device on the whole time (4 - 4 1/2 hours).

I can hook the Ipaq to my car and I can listen to MP3s. I have a headset for work where I can listen to MP3s. I can access my wireless internet at home. Now when I'm on the road, I know it will work.

The last thing I will do is get a car navagation software so I can use it in my car. I haven't had time to research this but I have seen TomTom software for $99.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2007 1:16 PM PDT