Profile for Holly Rose > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Holly Rose RSS Feed (Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
What If We Were Real
What If We Were Real
Price: $9.00
55 used & new from $5.42

5.0 out of 5 stars I lost 100 lbs with the help of this CD, December 30, 2011
This review is from: What If We Were Real (Audio CD)
I cannot even express in words how powerful this CD really has been in my life. I listen to it every single day when I'm walking and it has gotten me from walking just next door and back all the way up to 4 miles. It gives me the hope and strength I need to refocus on what is most important. Every single song has a message. I would highly encourage you to visit Mandisa's official youtube page so you can watch videos she has made explaining the message behind each song. I can't even pick a favorite b/c each one is beautiful and meaningful in its own way. If you are struggling in your life then I believe you will find hope here. It is much more than just a music CD. It is something that will speak to your heart and renew your spirit. When I saw this go on sale today, I immediately gifted it to a friend who is going through her own personal struggle right now. This CD will take you on a journey and the more you listen to it, the more it will spur you on towards understanding God's love for you. I feel very grateful that I stumbled upon this CD although in reality I believe God led me to it at the right time when I really needed something to uplift me as I began my weight loss journey. I made a video of my weight loss journey using Mandisa's song "Waiting for Tomorrow" as the theme song. Mandisa actually saw the video and not only did she personally respond to it with an encouraging message but she posted it to her facebook page. I think that says a lot about who she is as a person. I believe she genuinely cares about making an impact in the world for God. If you want to see my video just go to my profile with the link to my blog and scroll down to "100 Pounds lost" blog entry.

Damages: Season 1
Damages: Season 1
DVD ~ Glenn Close
Price: $14.21
166 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly good!! Far above the rest!, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Damages: Season 1 (DVD)
I'm actually shocked that this show got thrown off FX channel and ended up on direct tv while the CSI, NCIS, Law and Order etc. shows continue to run continuously on the major networks. This show outshines them by a long shot. I had assumed that this would be a typical legal crime show but it's NOT. It's much closer to watching a psychological thriller. Watch this show in one shot (all the episodes) rather than once a week. You won't be able to wait anyway. The 1st season was perfectly done. 2nd season was good but not nearly what the 1st season was. I can't say enough good things about it. And how they got Glenn Close to agree to do television I will never know. They won the lotto. She is one of the best actresses of all time and no one but her could play this character.

The Butterfly Effect
The Butterfly Effect
DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Great premise but could have been better., July 13, 2011
The movie did not end like I wanted it to end. There were so many different directions they could have taken the movie that would have been better. This movie explores the ways that people affect one another. I think it does lack in the area of how personal responsibility affects a life as well. Other people have some influence but not to the degree that this movie suggests. In some ways, this movie is advocating the idea of helplessness. That circumstances/situations have 100% control and that a person cannot overcome those things on their own. This movie would make a good discussion with others on various life themes.

TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2500
TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2500
Price: $6.97
44 used & new from $5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally something that works!, June 26, 2011
These gnat/fruit flys that invaded my house have no mercy. I rarely have fruit or plants in my house and there is no explanation for them. However about once a year here in Texas we get them. I have tried ALL the suggested methods to make them go away too. I have poured all the various things down the drain to get rid of them. I've poured the vinegar mixed with the dish liquid in cups covered with saran wrap and placed them all over the house. Sure it gets some but mostly it just attracts them and then they never quite all fall in. Plus those cups are disgusting to be around. When I got these little tiny apple traps I thought I had been scammed for sure. They are very small and hardly noticeable unlike the big disgusting vinegar traps you make. These little apples are kind of cute and you just place them around the areas you have the most problem. At the time I finally got around to buying these I had a major infestation of these gnats. They had made their way into every room of the house. You couldn't drink a cup of coffee without one flying in. I called all the exterminator companies and guess what?? They don't deal with these type of insects and they won't guarantee that they can get rid of them!! I was shocked. Evidently these things even baffle the professionals. I bought 8 of these b/c I was living in a nightmare and hoped they would work. We placed them out and within 24 hours could tell a difference. Within 2 days there was a significant difference. Within a week's time we were free! I stocked up on these b/c I never want to be without them. I don't understand what the magic is and I don't care. I just know they work and they are the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me!!

Writing Smarter: Over 100 Step-By-Step Lessons With Reproducible Activity Sheets To Build Writing Proficiency in Grades 7-12
by Keith T. Manos
Price: $29.99
47 used & new from $0.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok..., June 16, 2009
I teach 7th/8th grade English. This is an ok book. It looked great but did not turn out to be very useful. It had some good ideas but it was not anything I really felt translated well into the classroom. I sold it on ebay.

House
House
DVD ~ Michael Madsen
Price: $9.83
47 used & new from $2.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure...., April 11, 2009
This review is from: House (DVD)
I bought this movie at the Family Christian Bookstore, and I'm not completely sure if I liked it or not. I can't really decide. I got online to see if I could find some reviews or analysis of this movie that discussed the symbolism and what it represented biblically. Unfortunately I can't find anything anywhere about that. I wish the author of the book had a clear explanantion somewhere as to what represented what in this book. I am still confused about it. From what I understand from reading the blurb on the back of the dvd, the guests in the house are haunted by their past "sins". However, I found the people in the house were haunted not so much by the sins they committed....but by the sins other people had committed against them. For example, one of the men killed his father as a boy...the father was physically abusive to him. Of course it is wrong that he killed his father (of course) but that scenario was about a child being preyed upon by a physically abusive man. The other scenario was a woman beingmolested by her Uncle who she also killed. However, we are putting all the blame on the victims who were molested and abused. I would have understood it more if they had their sins be more clearly their fault, rather than temporary insanity due to being victimized by abusers. I didn't particularly care for blaming abused children for reacting violently to their abusers. The other couple had a child drown after her parents were distracted and did not realize she had fallen through the ice. Again, I wondered about this. All the times tragic things happen to children when parents turn their back for one second. A toddler wanders out of the house while mom has her back turned for a minute, and next thing you know she gets in the road and is hit by a car. There are so many parents out there who have lost a child and NOT because they were intentionally negligent. They did not mean to harm their child. Any parent knows that it is always that 1 second you had your back turned, when the child will do something and get hurt. We all live in fear of that . To me, it was more like these people were haunted by their past ISSUES...more than their "sins"....However, the blurb on the dvd said it was their "Sins" and to me they picked "sins" that were mostly the result of victimization. Also, I did not understand who the little girl represented. Was she supposed to be the Holy Spirit? When they said that one person had to be sacrificed by dawn were they trying to imply that their had to be a sacrifice for all their sins?? Was the little girl supposed to be representing Jesus as a sacrifice? So much of this movie left me going...huh?? I wish it had come with a guide.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2009 11:02 PM PDT

New Moon (The Twilight Saga)
New Moon (The Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $10.99
4157 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked Twilight better..., March 12, 2009
I just finished this book, and I'm really glad that the others in the series are already published so that I can immediately move on to the next book and see what happens next. This book really was unsatisfying to me. I loved the relationship between Edward and Bella, so this one was so utterly depressing since the entire book was about their breakup for the most part. I understand that it was necessary I guess to develop the relationship between Jacob and Bella, yet it was painful even then. I guess this book was just full of a lot of pain. I also was extremely dissappointed in the reunion moment between Edward and Bella. After wading through probably over 400 pages to the point where they finally are reunited....that moment flickers by in an instant. Due to the circumstances she has to very quickly meet up with him and they take off running. However, after 400 pages or more of misery and loneliness being apart....I had expected this amazing reunion moment. It just happened too quickly. It needed to be more intense for me since the entire book was really just about waiting for Edward's return. I hope in the movie their reunion will be much more poignant than it was in the book.

This wasn't my favorite so far but I'm still hooked on this series. Will move on to number 3 now!

The Genius Club
The Genius Club
DVD ~ Stephen Baldwin
Offered by Badlands DVD
Price: $12.98
17 used & new from $1.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it...., March 6, 2009
This review is from: The Genius Club (DVD)
I'm giving this movie 3 stars because I think it's great that people are putting out faith based movies and I want to support that. However, I felt that there was too much going on and not enough focus. The cover said prove God exists, but that didn't really seem to be the theme of the movie at all. It was more about why do bad things happen to good people? I think the movie could have been better. It was almost as if they had a great idea but failed to edit the script before arriving at the final product. At the end of the day, I'm not sorry I bought this movie. I will continue to buy anything Stephen Baldwin participates in. I was a huge fan of his before he became a Christian. As I got out of college and began developing my faith, Stephen Baldwin also became a Christian and starting making Christian movies. It kind of was cool to witness that and see the difference it not only made in his life but even the movies he makes. I love Stephen Baldwin and feel he is making a difference in Hollywood . I support whatever he does and will continue to purchase all the movies he participates in.

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $10.99
4500 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I get it..., March 6, 2009
I read this book because I have a teenage daughter and I also teach middle school English. All the kids around 12-14 that I know are completely obsessed with the Twilight series. I had already seen the movie, which normally I never do before reading the book. This did somewhat mess up the book for me because I already knew what to expect. I had a lot of people tell me that the book was different from the movie. As far as I'm concerned there was almost no difference, at least from my memory of the movie. However I read it anyway so that I could see what the hype was all about. I will say that I get why this is considered teen lit. It is clearly obvious that it's formula is perfect for especially junior high. You might have to work with this age group to really understand how well this formula plays out but after reading it I really understand why it appeals to them. Kids this age are boy crazy. However, junior high kids are somewhat trapped with where to go with their crazy hormones especially 7th graders. They are crazy about boys and yet they have no idea what to actually do with them. They are clumsy, and they want to be saved. If you question this then just observe 7th graders for a day and see how often they run into doors, drop their books, bump into lockers and trip over seemingly nothing. Awkwardness and clumsiness is a characteristic at this age. This is all Bella is about in this book. Also they want to go out with a boy without having the pressure of too much physical closeness. Again, the main theme of this book is that they are completely in love and yet can barely do more than kiss...and just a mild kiss at that...again this is pretty much where most 7th graders are in their progression with boys. It all mirrors in so many ways what they are about at this age. Of course if you aren't a 7th grader you might not like the premise of this book. It really probably works more for that age than anything else. Having said all that, I will say that it is not the best piece of lit I've read. In fact I am in amazement that it made such a splash and that it even made its way to such the forefront of publishing . I've only read the first book so perhaps I will find it more appealing as I get into the series. I do like the book . I just can't say I'm awestruck by it as so many.

Something New (Widescreen Edition)
Something New (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Sanaa Lathan
Offered by newtownvideos
Price: $7.00
138 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good!!, January 2, 2008
I caught this movie on television one night. It was one of those movies that you stumble upon while flipping channels, and find yourself being drawn in. The next thing I know it was 2 am and I had watched the entire movie! I really loved it. The acting was great. It had plenty of funny moments as well as sincere, thoughtful moments. It tackled a serious topic and gave the viewer a lot to think about and reflect on. A nice little gem!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6