Profile for H. Timblin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Timblin RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
False Pretenses: A Novel (Secrets of Roux River Bayou)
False Pretenses: A Novel (Secrets of Roux River Bayou)
by Kathy Herman
Price: $12.77
110 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, October 24, 2013
I enjoyed this book. I thought it was suspenseful and I liked the Christian aspect. However, I thought the writing style was kind of annoying. For example when something happened with one character the author would describe that scene in great detail. But then a page later when that same character joins another character the author has them describe what just happened in great detail again. So you end up having to read about the same thing twice.

The Angels of Morgan Hill
The Angels of Morgan Hill
by Donna VanLiere
Price: $13.63
44 used & new from $4.69

4.0 out of 5 stars light, easy and feel-good read, October 6, 2012
This book is a light, easy and feel-good read. I like how it touched on the American History of how blacks were treated at this particular time, especially in that part of the country (South). I also liked how the book ended years later so you got to see how everyone's lives turned out.

Life's That Way: A Memoir
Life's That Way: A Memoir
by Jim Beaver
17 used & new from $2.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know she wasn't going to beat the cancer, September 29, 2012
Before reading this book I very briefly looked at the inside flaps to see what it was about. In doing this, I completely missed the fact that his wife dies. I thought this memoir was going to be about how they struggled through everything and came out stronger in the end. Looking back I'm glad I didn't realize this because I was able to feel how those initial email followers felt...completely shocked when it happened. I don't think I would have enjoyed this book as much either, because I would have been waiting and expecting him to lose his wife.

Godchildren
Godchildren
by Nicholas Coleridge
66 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok Book, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Godchildren (Hardcover)
Godchildren is the first type of book like this that I have read. Someone else's review described it perfectly as "holiday reading fluff". As long as you are aware of this going into it, you will probably enjoy reading this book. Overall I thought the book and characters were interesting. However, some of Marcus Brand's behavior was a little too extreme for me and left a bad taste in my mouth.

The LETTER
The LETTER
by Richard Paul Evans
60 used & new from $0.58

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, June 23, 2012
This review is from: The LETTER (Hardcover)
After reading both "The Christmas Box" and "Timepiece" I wanted to read this, the final book of the "Christmas Box Collection". I did enjoy it, but not as much as both of the other books.

I was annoyed that the book focused a lot on David and his relationship with Dierdre, when in fact the book was promoted to be the love story of David and MaryAnne. Also, I was disappointed that the book didn't even touch base with MaryAnne when she was in England. It would have been nice to read about how she was feeling after her decision to leave David.

Kindred Spirits: How the Remarkable Bond Between Humans and Animals Can Change the Way We Live
by Allen M. Schoen
151 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, June 21, 2012
Even though it's a fact that scientists in the past did believe that animals were nonthinking, nonfeeling, and nonexpressive creatures; I found it disturbing to read about how these scientists abused dogs.
Also, I found the book to be poorly organized; in fact I don't even know why the author created "chapters" because multiple topics were discussed haphazardly throughout the book.
I just ended up scanning the pages and only reading the animal/human stories and anecdotes--which I did enjoy.

Ghosts and Goblins: Stories for Hallowe'en and Other Times
Ghosts and Goblins: Stories for Hallowe'en and Other Times
by Wilhelmina [editor] Harper
4 used & new from $60.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very interesting, June 21, 2012
This book is a mixture of Halloween poems and stories. I only read about 1/3 of it because I just didn't find the stories to be that interesting. This book is intended for "young readers" so that might explain my feelings about the book. And unfortunately I don't have any children to read the stories to in order to get a child's perspective...

Mystery at Boulder Point
Mystery at Boulder Point
by Eleanor M. Jewett
6 used & new from $7.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, June 16, 2012
First I must say I'm not a young reader which is who this book is intended for. However, I really enjoyed reading it. In fact it's one of the best books I've read in awhile! I love the history it tells of Cape Cod and the mooncussers. And the whole "mystery" part of the book...I thought it would be predicable but I was stumped up to the very end & couldn't put the book down! Definitely recommend reading this book.

Jean-Claude's Island.
Jean-Claude's Island.
by Natalie Savage Carlson
5 used & new from $2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Jean-Claude's Island. (Hardcover)
First I must say I'm not a young reader which is who this book is intended for, however I really enjoyed reading it. I fell in love with the adorable main character, who is a young boy named Jean-Claude Plouffe. He is the type of kid that is always messing something up even when he's not doing anything on purpose...in fact a great kid to compare him to is "Dennis the Menace"! What is so wonderful about him is that whenever he is confronted about some "incident" that has occurred; he never tries to get out of trouble by lying about it, he always fesses up and takes responsibility. The close relationship he has with is Grandparents, Pepere & Memere, is also very endearing. This is a great book and I definitely recommend it!

The Blind Colt
The Blind Colt
by Glen Rounds
25 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, May 27, 2012
This review is from: The Blind Colt (Paperback)
First I must say I'm not a "young reader" which is who this book is intended for. Also, I'm not really a horse person but decided to give this book a try anyhow. I was happily surprised after reading the foreword to discover that it's based on a true story. I enjoyed reading this book, I thought it was interesting and it flowed nicely without having any boring/slow parts. If you are reading this to or with a child it helps that the chapters are a good length--not too long or too short, they give you great starting and stopping points.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3