Profile for Eric D. Knapp > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 93

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eric D. Knapp "Cluck" RSS Feed (New Hampshire, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Son: A novel
The Son: A novel
by Jo NesbÝ
Price: $19.09
126 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars The best so far in the series, November 24, 2014
This review is from: The Son: A novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The best so far in the series, The Son manages to pick up where the previous novel left off ... without spoiling the previous book, lets just say that Jo Nesbo managed to tackle a very difficult plot recovery.

As always, Nesbo offers a window into the darker parts of our souls and creates a mystery that is as much about human nature as it is about solving a crime. In fact, the subplots were so interesting that the main storyline almost didn't matter. It made the book a good and easy read despite being the longest book in the series so far.

CSA Guide to Cloud Computing: Implementing Cloud Privacy and Security
CSA Guide to Cloud Computing: Implementing Cloud Privacy and Security
by Brian Honan
Price: $57.99
50 used & new from $43.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloud computing can be done securely, November 24, 2014
Many people think that "cloud" automatically means "insecure," but this doesn't have to be the case, and "CSA Guide to Cloud Computing: Implementing Cloud Privacy and Security" gives you what you need to know to make sure it isn't.

With authors like Raj Samani, Brian Honan and Jim Reavis, it should be no surprise that this is a must-read security book. At just over 200 pages, it's not overwhelming, and it's written well enough that it's very readable. While concise, it still manages to cover the important topics of cloud computing as they relate to security. It does a great job defining what the cloud actually is, which is still surprisingly difficult to do, and quickly moves on to cover the specific threats against the cloud, how to select a cloud provider, mobile computing and the cloud, privacy considerations, how to respond to an incident, etc. There's a great chapter on the Cloud Security Alliance's research (not surprising considering it's the CSA Guide to Cloud Computing), which helps frame the wealth of quality work done by the CSA without simply replicating it.

There's even a chapter on the future of cloud computing that includes using the cloud in critical infrastructure. Raj Samani and I have worked together on many aspects of critical infrastructure security and he's the (second) most qualified person to write about this touchy subject. I resisted the urge to demerit one star for failing to refer to Industrial Network Security, Second Edition: Securing Critical Infrastructure Networks for Smart Grid, SCADA, and Other Industrial Control Systems :-)

If you find yourself in a position where you need to build, use, or depend upon the cloud ... and if you want to make sure you do so with security and privacy in mind, this concise guide will definitely help.

Just Mobile MTable Monitor Stand (st-288)
Just Mobile MTable Monitor Stand (st-288)
Offered by outfitYOURS
Price: $69.95
5 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Effective, January 16, 2014
I have a Macbook Pro that I use as a desktop, and a Macbook Air that I use when I travel. The Pro never moves, and connects to a Thunderbolt display (which I recommend if you can afford it - great display).

Two laptops plus a display "foot" was pretty crowded, though. One MTable later, problem is solved: the Macbook pro now sits UNDER the display, and I've got my desk back.

Victor Multi-Kill Electronic Mouse Trap M260
Victor Multi-Kill Electronic Mouse Trap M260
Price: $89.99
13 used & new from $76.49

5.0 out of 5 stars It kills mice, 'nuff said, January 16, 2014
It does just what it says it does. I've been catching 4 or 5 mice a week ever since I set this thing up (we live in a farm house ... lots of mice). You'd thin they'd learn, but they don't ... they just keep coming.

Easy to bait, easy to set, and easy to empty (you never have to touch anything gross).

Police: A Harry Hole Novel
Police: A Harry Hole Novel
by Don Bartlett
Price: $15.82
243 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how he did it, but he did, January 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
[Note - this is the 3rd or 4th time that Amazon lost one of my reviews, and I've had to repost it. Sorry if it's a tad concise the second time around]

Police was a welcome continuation of the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo. For those who read the previous book, you're wondering *how* that series was continued. Well, that puzzle was solved, and very skillfully. Not once did I groan, or roll my eyes, or sigh in disbelief ... yet the author pulled of the almost-impossible feat of resurrection (yeah, minor spoiler there sorry).

Anyway, you wont be disappointed.

The story is longer and deeper than the others that came before it, and this allowed Nesbo to give us more murders! Police has it's fair share of grisly serial killings, which both drive the plot forward and set the mood: it's dark, grisly, and in one case punch-you-in-the-gut shocking.

If y ou like Nesbo and the other Hole novels, you will LOVE this book. Yes, it's longer and has more side plots, but at the same time it delivers more of what we love most about Nesbo's dark thrillers.

DISCLAIMER: you will do yourself a great injustice if you read this book BEFORE reading the previous novels. More than the others, this book demands that you are familiar with the characters and story lines of the entire series.

The Carpet People
The Carpet People
by Terry Pratchett
Price: $14.21
100 used & new from $1.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Pratchett, December 6, 2013
This review is from: The Carpet People (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This will delight anyone who is a fan of Pratchett. It's his first book (written as a kid), which he later re-wrote after a looooong writing career. So, don't expect high-art. At the same time, it's a delightful story full of Pratchett wit and humor, and it's also a great study of the author himself. If you've never read Pratchett, this is probably a 3-star experience (and not the book you should start with), but to fans it's definitely 5-star material.

As a bonus, it will give you an excuse to stop vacuuming!

Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent
Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent

3.0 out of 5 stars It works ... mostly., September 19, 2013
This is a great idea - and it works: my cats are terrified of this thing, and just seeing it will now keep them away from whatever it's guarding (at the moment, it's protecting my finch cage from a five-month-old kitten).

However, it isn't reliable at all. Sometimes you can dance a jig in front of it, and it wont go off. Sometimes, it triggers for no apparent reason whatsoever. Sometimes (probably about half of the time) it works exactly as its supposed to.

I haven't experimented, but I suspect that the motion sensor isn't light-sensitive enough. My house is somewhat dark, and it can't seem to detect motion as well at dusk or at night.

Other than reliability, it's great: it's very adjustable, and the air canister lasts longer than I would expect (and, when mine ran out, it didn't make a difference, because the beep is enough now. As I mentioned, my cats are TERRIFIED of this device.)

A note to contech: if you increased the quality of the sensor I would gladly pay $10 extra. If this could be relied on to work 100% of the time, there are a lot of other places I could use it, and I would probably buy several more.

CISSP All-In-One Exam Guide [With CDROM]
CISSP All-In-One Exam Guide [With CDROM]
by Shon Harris
Price: $42.18
95 used & new from $27.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study guide - comprehensive material, actually fun to read, September 19, 2013
Well ... it's as fun to read as a CISSP study guide can be, but Shon Harris deserves a lot of credit for injecting humor wherever possible to help you forget that you're slogging through something like 1400 pages of "broad knowledge" study material.

The chapters align with the specific subject domains of the CISSP, making it easy to focus more or less on the areas that you need (or don't need) most.

Key points are clearly called out and often repeated, making them 'stick'.

At the end of each chapter there is a summary that provides a bullet-list overview of the most important concepts from the chapter. Once you've read a chapter end-to-end, these lists provide an excellent review.

Each chapter also ends with sample questions, followed immediately by the answers (with explanations!). The CISSP (like most certification tests) is about known the *expected* answer as much as it is knowing the *right* answer, so understanding the logic behind why one answer is better than the others is very helpful.

Finally, at the very end - more sample questions! When you consider how expensive it is to buy sample test questions from (ISC)2, this is a welcome conclusion to a looooong but very useful book.

Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Third Edition: Telecommunications and Network Security ((ISC)2 Press)
Price: $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more from the 'official' guide, September 19, 2013
I'm just getting around to taking my CISSP, but I have worked in security for well over a decade now, so this is an exercise in learning (ISC)2's specific phraseology and figuring out what their idea of a "best" situation is.*

I downloaded this guide as a kindle ebook - picking this chapter because I know this subject matter very well and thought it was a good place to start. The content was as expected for the most part: basic yet broad knowledge. However, it was riddled with poorly described concepts, typos, formatting errors (which could be limited to the kindle version, but hey - for $15 a chapter thats not acceptable), and a bad typo in the practice questions that would leave a newcomer entirely confused and would result in a wrong answer on the test.

I opted to not buy the official guide for the remaining subject domains, choosing instead to invest in Shon Harris' CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide (6th ed) -- which is excellent.

* slight rant: a lot of practice test questions involve these highly subjective types of question. "Which of the following is the best solution for blah blah blah?" It bothers me because with experience, questions like that make you wonder about context and details that aren't provided, so you're left trying to determine the answer that the author thought was the best solution, at the time of writing, given little clues in the question. It's that (ISC)2 rolls, but it bugs me. It's a flaw with the testing methodology, in my opinion, but it is not why I'm giving this book 3 stars - that is due to the poor quality of the book. end rant.

Panasonic KX-TGA750B DECT 6.0 PLUS Additional Digital Handset for the KX-TGA750 Series
Price: $46.89
38 used & new from $29.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Functions as designed... no way to silence all ringers, September 19, 2013
This handset was purchased to replace an existing handset that died on my Panasonic phone system (it actually didn't 'die' ... just that the number 6 stopped working entirely, making it fairly useless. I had the phone for ~3 years before it broke, so no real complaint there).

Overall, these phones are great: the batteries last long enough, the sound is good, the range is great, and the convenience of easily adding handsets is great, too. The spoken caller ID has also saved my wife and I the trouble of racing for the phone just to get a telemarketer.

Adding the replacement headset to my existing system was a breeze - it took about 5 seconds and worked flawlessly.
This would be a 5-star phone, except for one little thing. I work from home, and am almost always speaking on my company cell phone. If someone calls the home phone, every base and handset rings until either you pick it up or the answering machine picks up. Scenario: I'm on the phone, and all of a sudden four ringers start ringing in unison, all around the house. I reach for the handset closest to me and hit 'end' to silence the ringer, but it only silences the ringer on that particular handset, so I still can't hear. It's annoying enough that I'm going to eventually replace the whole system, but i recognize that my situation is fairly unique, so I'm only docking 1 star.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10