Profile for Stephen C. Blagg > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen C. Blagg RSS Feed (Westminster, MD, US)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Chapter One:  'Tis the Season
Chapter One: 'Tis the Season
DVD
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical critic converted, March 1, 2015
This review is from: Bosch (Amazon Instant Video)
For years, I've been a fan of Michael Connelly's books. When I heard that Amazon had created a series of TV dramas based on the Harry Bosch character, I was skeptical. The Connelly books are just too subtle and intelligent for TV. I was afraid that some producer would just use the name and the premise, then knock out the same nonsense that we see all of the time. Yesterday, though, we were housebound by the weather and decided to give Episode 1 a try. We were hooked in the first five minutes, and went on to watch all of the first four episodes. I suspect that we'll finish season one today. "Bosch" is the best acted and produced TV series I've ever seen (and I go back to "Gunsmoke"). As with the books, one gets totally absorbed in these TV dramas. The characters are credible and engaging. The cinematography and direction are way above TV standards. It's as if these were a series of "real", high-budget movies. They just need to be publicized more. If the series doesn't get extended, it will be because of a lack of publicity. It is uniformly excellent.

Epoca Silicone Tea Bag Buddy and Cup Cover Lid, 2-Pack, Green
Epoca Silicone Tea Bag Buddy and Cup Cover Lid, 2-Pack, Green
Offered by 10dollarwholesale
Price: $10.49
2 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is amazing. It secures the string on your tea bag ..., February 14, 2015
This thing is amazing. It secures the string on your tea bag so that the bag can hang down in the cup, while the cover keeps the water warm while the tea brews. Then you can remove and squeeze the bag without ever having to touch it. I always use 16 ounces of water and two tea bags each time, and this device can handle both bags at the same time. Not only was it better than the device that I originally went looking for (a simple tea bag squeezer), but it exceeded my expectations even after I decided to buy it. I can't think of any way that this could be any better.

Master and Commander (Vol. Book 1)  (Aubrey/Maturin Novels)
Master and Commander (Vol. Book 1) (Aubrey/Maturin Novels)
Price: $8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A necessary prequel to get to the really great Aubrey/Maturin novels, July 8, 2014
I read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series a few years ago, and recently decided to re-read them in order. Oddly, on this second time around, I was a little disappointed in "Master and Commander." While it is a strong novel, hadn't fully formed his characters in this first novel in the series. Also, it lacked the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) that came along in the later novels. The series is a whole is so compelling that it becomes part of your personal history, and even affects your view of the world. For anyone reading this for the first time: please understand that the best is yet to come. The later novels in the series will build on the characters, and all of the sailing jargon becomes more familiar. If possible, read them in order, but by all means, read at least two more novels in the series. After that you will be hooked. You will mourn the death of Patrick O'Brian as one of the world's greatest tragedies.

ACU Duffel Bag Digital Camouflage Duffel Gym Travel Bag
ACU Duffel Bag Digital Camouflage Duffel Gym Travel Bag
Offered by ONLINE SUPERSTORE PLUS
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag for the price, June 1, 2014
OK, this bag isn't as durable as my Ogio gym bag, but it cost only about a fourth as much. I needed a bag to store and transport all of the accouterments of road bicycle riding. This bag works perfectly. One of the zippered end compartments holds two CamelBack water bottles. The other end holds all of the sunscreen, lip balm, chamois cream, etc. The zippered side pocket and the two pouches all hold the various accessories. The big main compartment easily holds a helmet, windbreaker, extra tee shirt, gloves, towel, etc. The bag is big enough to hold everything without resembling a body bag. I expect that this will last a long time, but if it fails, I'll buy the same model again.

Six Years
Six Years
by Harlan Coben
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $12.11
32 used & new from $4.12

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Six Years (Audio CD)
I really liked Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar books. They had engaging characters, wit, and an engaging plot told in a lighthearted manner. "Six Years" has none of those things. The melodrama is completely overdone. How many times can one college professor come close to passing out because of surprise in a period of a few days? Everything is the book is just overstated. Sadly, Scott Brick's usually-excellent narration just emphasizes the excesses. For the future, I'll continue to read the Myron Bolitar books, but steer a wide path around Coben's other novels.

Roswheel 4.2 Inch Cycling Bike Bicycle Frame Pannier Front Tube Bag Waterproof with Headphone Jack for Cell Phone Green
Offered by Mr Star
Price: $6.11
28 used & new from $2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect front tube bag, April 8, 2014
This little bag does everything that I want. It keeps my iPhone 5s secure and protected, yet clearly visible. It provides enough room to keep my wallet, car keys, and external phone battery handy, and even has some room for gels. The double zipper allows me to access those items easily. It secures nicely to the somewhat flattened top tube on my Trek. It looks great, and is well made. All that, and it was inexpensive. Everyone that I ride with is impressed with the bag, and wants one for themselves.

The Americans Season 1
The Americans Season 1
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate acting; credible plots, April 4, 2014
This is a thoroughly enjoyable series. The casting couldn't have been better. The actors manage to capture the inherent tension of living a double life of espionage. Even the tradecraft that they use is consistent with the period depicted in the show. The producers even provide a realistic background for the early Reagan years. It makes you realize that some of the made-for-TV dramas are better than most of the Hollywood blockbusters of a few years ago.

Anker® Astro 5600mAh Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank for Smartphones and Tablets including iPhone 6 / 5, Galaxy S5 / S4, HTC One (M8) and Many More
Anker® Astro 5600mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank for Smartphones and Tablets including iPhone 6 / 5, Galaxy S5 / S4, HTC One (M8) and Many More
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $55.99
7 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing battery--tremendous value, March 17, 2014
I chose this battery because I needed something compact enough to keep my iPhone 5s charged up on long bike rides, while fitting into my "tri bag". I was pleased by the solid feel of the device and the nice form factor. Based on web site info and Amazon reviews, I knew that the battery would come partially charged, and that I needed to fully discharge it before attempting a recharge. It did arrive with three bars showing on the LED display, indicating at least a 75% charge. Since that time, I've used it to recharge a mostly-depleted iPhone 5s twice, and the Anker battery is still showing two bars. I'm beginning to wonder if I could jump start a car with the thing. The little details are nice, too. The flashlight function is good for a battery that goes on long bike rides, and the velvet carrying bag protects the battery while it's in my bike bag along with keys and tools. Having the protective film in the front cover shows a commitment to quality. The most outstanding aspect of this battery is value. To get a quality item like this for around $25 on Amazon is amazing. A few years ago, those early portable batteries were just junk, and expensive junk at that. This is my third Anker purchase in the last three months, and all three items have been exceptional values.

LUVVITT® CLEARVIEW Scratch-Resistant Slim Clear Back Case with Bumper / Cover for iPhone 5 / 5S (LIFETIME WARRANTY | Retail Packaging) / iPhone 5 Case - Clear
Offered by Luvvitt
Price: $12.95
6 used & new from $11.15

5.0 out of 5 stars "As good as it gets" for iPhone 5s, March 13, 2014
This is the third case that I've put on my iPhone 5s in the 11 weeks that I've had it. The first one provided no protection. The second one was better, but had a white "bumper" rim that looked awful after just eight weeks. This Luvvitt case is clearly superior in both respects. It offers decent protection without making the elegant 5s look like a walkie talkie from WWII. With a clear rim, it shows off the gold colored metal case of the phone, and the rim should stay attractive longer than my last case. I was pleased that Luvvitt case had protective film on both sides of the clear back plate. It shows a commitment to delivering the case in pristine condition. All three cases that I've tried used the same basic design, but the Luvvitt has the best grip. It's easy to hold, but still slides in and out of pockets as needed. Finally, it is compact enough that I can keep it on all of the time. It fits into the phone carrier on my bike; it stays on when I have the sleep monitoring app going during the night and the phone is laying on my mattress, and the standard lightning charger works just fine with the case on. Well done, Luvvitt.

Levi's Men's Wool Melton 4 Pocket Blazer with Zip Out Bib and Hood, Black, X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, versatile coat, February 11, 2014
There is nothing not to like about this coat. It is warm--great for everyday wear anywhere from zero to 45 degrees. With the zip-out bib in the coat, it looks stylish and casual. Zip the bib out and it looks dressy. The materials and workmanship are first class, right down to the envelope of spare buttons. It is generous with pockets, but I find that I use six of them most all of the time. The lowest set are perfectly placed and angled for keeping your hands warm. The set above that provides a good place to keep a pair of light gloves. The inside breast pockets keep your phone and your wallet protected and secured. Some reviewers have commented on the coat being too "full", but I didn't see that. This is outerwear, and not a suit jacket. I'm 6' 3", medium build, and 205 lbs. I normally wear a suit coat with a 46" chest and pants with a 38" waist. The XL version of the Levi's coat fit me perfectly. Even the sleeve length and the overall length were just right: like a suit jacket would fit. This was one of the absolute best buys that I have ever made on Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3