Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Maggie > Reviews

Browse

Maggie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maggie RSS Feed

Sawbones (A Laura Elliston Novel)
Sawbones (A Laura Elliston Novel)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your Mother's western!, April 3, 2016
This is definitely NOT your Mother's Western novel! Others have described the plot, I will not. I do add to other reviewers' caution about the graphic violence, torture and sexual violence portrayed in parts of the novel. Other reviewers have questioned the necessity of the violence, but, considering the degree of research and detailed descriptions contained in this book, I think the terror of that period of our joint history (Native as well as immigrants) deserves to be aired. The violence was carried out by both sides.

I am normally not a 'Western' reader. I like thoughtful novels with strong female leads; Sawbones definitely fit this bill. I really enjoyed the descriptions of aspects of the medical field in the time period as well as the conditions aboard s;hip and travel in the West. I am very much looking forward to reading the sequel.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for lending me a time-constrained e-galley to review.

The Litter of the Law: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery
The Litter of the Law: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery
by Rita Mae Brown
98 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, a bit of history thrown in.., November 10, 2013
I have read most of Rita Mae Brown's books over many years and enjoy her Sneaky Pie mysteries the best. And, this is indeed a nice, highly readable, mystery, Halloween themed, set in the beautiful Virginia mountain countryside. Is this Rite Mae Brown's best book? No! But will it please most of her readers? A resounding yes!

As usual, there are beautiful line drawings of the animals. What is unusual and great is that they were very well integrated into the e-book format (let me tell you, good, readable, illustrations in an e-book is RARE).

As some reviewers have already stated, there is a lot of side information. However, I, for one, am quite interested in the topics of the issues of Native Virginians, organic and traditional farming, local food and marketing of produce, country folks vs newcomers, etc. All of these are relevant to my own life. And, unlike another reviewer, yes I have heard of many of these tribes. I found the issues of state vs federal recognition and the issue of 'paper genocide' quite interesting.

I was lent an ebook copy via Netgalley in return for my honest opinion.

SHAPELY GIRL: WALKING FIT and FABULOUS!
SHAPELY GIRL: WALKING FIT and FABULOUS!
DVD ~ Debra Mazda
Price: $12.23
31 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent workout for sr's, beginners-intermediate!, March 23, 2011
As a certified aerobics instructor specializing in beginners and seniors, I found this to be a terrific series of workouts. The steps are basic but interesting, not at all intimidating for those new to exercise. Very safe (but not on carpet and modify the swivel in the side "wedding" move if you have bad knees). The cuing is excellent. The cast follows well and is an inspiration to the real-life average woman (and man). And, it should be noted that the instructor is mature and has succeeded at weight loss AND maintenance of said weight loss, which greatly adds to her credibility in her target audiences. The emphasis is on a healthy and gradual increase in fitness, which has been proven to greatly decrease risk of death, whatever a person's weight. There are premixes which permit short to very long workouts, adding to the usability of the dvd. I highly recommend this instructor and dvd.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 10:49 AM PDT