Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for r_a_b > Reviews

Browse

r_a_b's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

r_a_b RSS Feed (NRV, VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
High Sierra Adventure Access Carry On Wheeled Backpack, Moss/Charcoal
High Sierra Adventure Access Carry On Wheeled Backpack, Moss/Charcoal
Price: $132.55
4 used & new from $106.04

4.0 out of 5 stars The wheeled, over-under solution for airline travel, June 11, 2016
Lots of research of "wheeled carry-on packs" went into this purchase shortly before we flew to a vacation destination. Regardless of observations that follow, the price was right. It met the letter of American Airlines' specifications for both carry-on and personal item. This is based on its size and the ingenious design when detached--place the wheeled "carry-on" part in an overhead bin and stow the little "personal item" pack under one's seat.

The little pack is just that; I nearly opted for leaving it home and taking a larger backpack for personal items; but, wheeling was preferable to schlepping. Zipping the two pieces together is a learned skill. I found that sitting in an airport waiting area seat, placing the larger bag on my lap and aligning the zip mechanism was most efficient.

I concur with reviewers that something other than a zip attachment might be better. If the zipper ever malfunctioned, one would possibly need to check the entire bag. That wouldn't be so good. The pieces are very light, but there is no reinforcement to avoid shape-shifting and crushing. That also makes zipping slightly more difficult. I also agree with a reviewer that said the large zipper pull and mechanism should have been affixed to the little pack--not the bigger bag.

Because of our connecting flights' aircraft sizes, I had to allow the airline to stow the larger carry-on twice. When I retrieved it, I noticed the skimpy material was already fraying. I admit that my actual much-more-expensive checked bag came off the airplane looking like somebody stepped on it. It was scuffed and slightly frayed.

So, this goody worked as specified, garnered knowing smiles from other travelers when we were zipping and unzipping the parts, it fit where it was designed to fit, and its price point was reasonable. I simply question its durability and survivability for the frequent flyer.

Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount
Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount
Offered by LeapQ
Price: $12.40
86 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, packs pretty flat, cheap, works, June 11, 2016
My spouse and I use a "beanbag-type" Garmin-brand mount in each of our two cars. We decided to pack my wife's little Garmin GPS for a flight where we were going to use it in a rental car at our destination. I looked for lighter, more packable solutions than our "beanbags." This one, also a genuine Garmin seemed perfect. It was light, packed pretty flat, and the price was ideal.

It worked out as planned. It never moved after we placed it on the dash of a rental Chevy Impala, and bumpy roads at our vacation spot didn't affect its performance.

I kept the plastic protective film from its factory packing and placed it on the bottom and stowed it away for our next rental car adventure.

White Plastic and Stainless Steel Bagel Guillotine
White Plastic and Stainless Steel Bagel Guillotine
Offered by AsSeenOnTVGuys
Price: $20.47
33 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The first cut is the deepest, May 20, 2016
If you observe the instructions and then feed it reasonably-sized bagels, this device does an excellent job and easily cleans up without one needing to count fingers. I've done much pre-purchase product research on Amazon, but never before buying a bagel slicer. This is the one you should buy, too. To quote my spouse, "I love it."

Seat Cushion - Car Seat Cushion - Chair Cushion - Sciatica Cushion - Prostate Cushion - Hemorrhoid Cushion- Low Back Pain Cushion - Tailbone Cushion - Coccyx Cushion (Titanium Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sciatica is a pain in the arse, April 10, 2016
Perhaps if the multiple keyword description didn't make this seem like it cured all I might have put more trust in this product to work for me. It didn't, and I returned it. I purchased it for on-vehicle-seat use. It raised my torso too high, I could not find a comfortable position for it (front, back, middle) on my seat, and it actually made my sciatica pain worse. Also, it didn't seem to breathe, so I also experienced skin irritation.

I spent lots of time researching on Amazon.com until I chose this particular product. Your mileage might vary; but my experience was only duplicated in two-star or under reviews.

AmazonBasics Wireless Mouse with Nano Receiver (MGR0975)
AmazonBasics Wireless Mouse with Nano Receiver (MGR0975)
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about the "Basics" in AmazonBasics, February 27, 2016
The reasons it's basic and inexpensive:

1. Most small wireless meeses I've purchased used one AA battery. This uses two AAA's.
2. Most had a docking transceiver stick that powered down the mouse when docked. This stows the stick inside the battery compartment. One has to manually power it off.
3. Most had a more positive locking battery compartment.
4. Most had finger grooves for better ergonomics.

I had two Logitech's and a Microsoft that all just failed. So, I once again trusted Amazon Basics to offer a product that worked at a low price. In spite of its trade-offs, I felt much better when I ordered three that arrived with other stuff in a Prime shipment.

I put two out of three in service immediately on Windows 10 laptops with no issues except my failure to read the instructions on polarity of the battery contacts. I already remedied that problem for future battery changes (see picture).

I don't mind switching the mouse off when it's not being used, and leaving the little wireless transceiver in the laptops' USB slot is not a problem due to its teeny size. I figure after booting my laptop, if the mouse doesn't work, an LED light will go on over my head to remind me to power it up.

The best thing is if these puppies fail after a reasonable time period, it won't seriously change the cost-benefit ratio.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sonic Alert SBB500ss Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
Sonic Alert SBB500ss Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
Price: $33.78
193 used & new from $24.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Do you hear what I hear?, January 8, 2016
I worked in the assistive technology field for five years, so when my mother-in-law said she needed an alarm clock she could hear, I bought her this. Even for me, operating it was not intuitive. I had to reference the instructions. As predicted, my 80-something gift recipient was not able to operate it unless I set it for her. Plus, the markings were too small to pass muster as an example of well-designed assistive technology.

So, after a couple of years of ownership where we had to telephone her to awaken her, my mother-in-law relegated the Sonic Bomb to time-only status. During a visit I decided to put my correction-fluid-writing skills to practice, and I marked the clock up to make operating it easier. Now, Mother is back to using it. The only recent confusion was re-setting it for Daylight Savings Time.

We have not expanded into using the bed-shaker. With some design refinements this clock would earn from me more stars.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Challenge Coin Rack Holder Stand CN06
Challenge Coin Rack Holder Stand CN06
Offered by Display Co. California
Price: $19.95
4 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for decent quality; Amazon's dimensions in error, December 24, 2015
For the price and a beginning challenge coin collector, this was great. The Amazon dimensions were wrong. Mine measured 6 inches long by 5 inches wide by a little over 3/4" thick. Based upon Amazon's stated specifications, I bought a plastic display case for it before I received it, and the case was too small. But, that's OK.

There were dings at 3 of four corners easily masked with furniture touch-up stuff. Compared to other coin racks, it was a bargain for sure.

Retired - U.S. Coast Guard
Retired - U.S. Coast Guard
Offered by Northwest Territorial Mint®
Price: $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not manufactured where the USCG serves, December 23, 2015
This review is from: Retired - U.S. Coast Guard (Toy)
No problem with quality; after reading product description I wanted to stand up and salute on behalf of my retired Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander father-in-law. Not proud it was "struck" off-shore. I'm a USAF vet, and that ain't right.

SereneLife Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier for Home and Office - No Noise, Filter Free and Adjustable Vapor - 4.1L
Price: $59.99
27 used & new from $18.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Humidifier boring--it just works; user manual not boring--read it, November 25, 2015
I became tired of reading other products' negative reviews. At first I wanted a replacement warm mist unit because mine died, but reviews of the same model dissuaded me. So, I bought this SereneLife. I was impressed with the mostly recyclable, adequate packaging. From box to misting was a breeze, and it began outputting moisture quickly. As others observed, it was quiet.

Regardless of its having no filter, it is not maintenance-free. Remember to keep some white vinegar handy; a brush/pick tool is stowed in the inside, bottom part of the unit.

This humidifier is made in China; the user manual's syntax points to a literal translation to English. The manual specifically references a "handle," that the humidifier clearly does not have unless some grippy surfaces inside the reservoir's bottom translated to that.

While you're enjoying the ample cool mist this generates, I suggest reading the manual out-loud. It is likely to evoke laughter and warm feelings. For example, "Night light to make your life more colourful when using at night." I wonder if that referred to its green "power on" LED or when it's out of water and the power LED turns amber.

Kikkerland Planetarium Paperweight (SC22)
Kikkerland Planetarium Paperweight (SC22)
Price: $30.76
9 used & new from $28.12

2.0 out of 5 stars The sky is falling, October 10, 2015
I simply do not understand the rave reviews, although many "reviews" have only one or two words. Amazon packing/padding continues to be a joke, but even competent padding would not have helped this. It arrived with many smudges on its surface; but, after I gently cleaned and wiped it, some smudges were actually flaws. The sun looks like it had a huge quake or is about to explode at its fault lines.

There's no reason to return this expensive, junky tsatske because I doubt any two would arrive in better shape. I'm glad I did not purchase it from Scientifics where it was $32.95 plus shipping, and it also looked great in their illustration. According to Amazon's product description, "The Planetarium Paperweight is a beautiful example of art. Showing the plants [sic] in a display..." Why am I complaining? It's really a "plants" paperweight. If you think it's "beautiful" like many five-star reviewers, what the heck--buy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4