Profile for O. Brown > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 86

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

O. Brown "Ms. O. Khannah-Brown" RSS Feed (Twopeas, WA)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Timbuk2 Copilot Luggage Roller 2014, Medium, Carbon Full-Cycle Twill
Timbuk2 Copilot Luggage Roller 2014, Medium, Carbon Full-Cycle Twill
Price: $225.00
8 used & new from $225.00

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Carryon or Overnighter (Medium Size Roller)--Delightful!, July 18, 2014
*****
This is the nicest small suitcase/carry-on bag I have ever owned. It displays quality in every aspect. Although it is expensive, in this case, you will get what you pay for. This model of Copilot has been updated for 2014. I have the 22 inch model or medium case. It comes with a lifetime warranty that guarantees the Copilot against defects and craftsmanship forever.

It is easy to access the contents of the suitcase. Seated down in an airline seat or in an airport waiting area and without getting up, I can reach in from above and access many of the pockets, including some of the inside contents by opening the top zipper. If you need to look inside the bag or pockets of the red-on-black bag (which is the one I have) it is easy to see belongings because the inside lining is a red heavy-duty material. There is also a special “slash pocket” under the large outside front pocket that yields access to the inside of the suitcase from the side, intended to be used to reach inside the suitcase when it is laying in an overhead bin—that way you don’t have to haul it out of the bin to get inside!

The front zipper pocket is padded and it will hold a smaller MacBook Pro (up to 13”) and other electronic devices. If you have a larger MacBook Pro (I have a 15”) it can fit inside and then be accessed with the slash pocket described above.

There are ultra-reinforced grab handles everywhere for lifting and maneuvering. There are literally handles on all sides of the Copilot; however, they are so well-designed that they don’t get in the way. At the same time, you can easily pull it out of overhead bins, taxis, wherever.

The wheels are urethane skateboard wheels—very sturdy and very quiet.

The aluminum double post handle is sturdy, extends smoothly, and is covered with a comfortable rubbery grip inspired by a bicycle hand grip.

The outside is made of a “durable nylon and fabric reinforced tarpaulin fabric construction”. I had to look that up. A tarpaulin (or tarp) is a sheet of strong, flexible, tough material used for heavy-duty tasks.

The inside is a clamshell design—two separate compartments. The top compartment is really reinforced but softer and the bottom compartment is a hard shell covered with that tarp material. The compartments are separated by mesh covers with zippers. These keep the things inside organized. There are two pockets on top of the mesh dividers on the top side for additional organization, toiletries, etc. All but these additional pockets have dual zippers.

The medium Copilot is 14.6 inches wide, 21.6 inches high, 9.8 inches deep, and weighs only 6.6 pounds. It really is an amazing balance of sturdiness and light weight for travel and maneuvering.

Timbuk2 bags cost more, but they are a quality product.

*****

30 Pounds in 40 Days: One Man's Weight Loss Journey with the HCG Diet, and a Guide to Losing Weight Fast, While Creating Lasting Changes in Life, Health, Motivation, and Habits
by Eric Stoddard
Price: $12.60
16 used & new from $8.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Memoir and Motivational Coaching Support for the HCG Diet, July 18, 2014
****
This is a practical, extremely motivating book about the hcg diet; I wish I'd read it before I started. It is more than just an hcg diet memoir, although it is that, about the author's own successful journey to lose weight and keep it off. There are many tips I am implementing, for example, to go to bed early in the evening to combat late night eating out of habit (not necessarily hunger, since many people are not truly hungry on the hcg diet). Another good tip is to be very committed before starting, perhaps mores that other diets--be ready to lose weight--as this is a difficult diet to "try". Yet another tip is to make some important lists and read them daily, like "Reasons I Want To Lose Weight" and "Things I Look Forward To" as well as several other lists. Another is to carry a case of San Pelligrino water in the car. I know they might sound simple, but having them all in one place and applicable to this particular diet is really helpful.

The author creatively contrasts his own wishes as himself (Eric) with those of his alter ego (his "evil twin" Derrick) using memorable examples. I liked this because it's helpful to separate oneself from one's non-supportive desires and realize that you have the ability to not follow them! One of the author's many quotes I enjoyed is "Healthy is the new weird" as in many social situations, someone who eats healthfully is still looked upon as being strange or bizarre. Another is "Wake Up Proud!" He doesn't incorporate anything into his "Phase 3", which he calls a "hormonal transition" that isn't something he wants to practice as a lifestyle: "If it's not sustainable and repeatable, it's not worth doing." The author lists helpful apps he uses too. There are many, many great ideas; I took lots of notes.

This is probably my favorite book about the hcg diet so far out of the perhaps dozen or so I've read.

Fulfilled: The NIV Devotional Bible for the Single Woman
Fulfilled: The NIV Devotional Bible for the Single Woman
by Mary Hollingsworth
Price: $24.24
65 used & new from $14.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Small Print Bible for Single Women, July 18, 2014
***
This is a version of the NIV for single women--and I think that this is great. Although I really love the devotionals, this Bible is overall not helpful for me because of the very small print throughout (looks to be about 8 point); I will need to return it. However it is lighter and smaller than many Bibles, so if you enjoy small print, this may be a plus for you. It is a beautiful inexpensive hardcover Bible that opens flat (very nice) and has a library binding and text in teal and black. For the price it is an excellent value.

Highlights especially for single women are in teal as well--these are 200 selected scriptures especially applicable for single women; they are inline right in the Bible text itself. The over 100 devotions are each a page long and have a short sentence-long prayer at the end as well. They are written by single Christian women; these have their own index. Also there are 19 profiles of single women in the Bible, like Ruth and Rahab, and these have their own index as well. There is an additional index of topics that are of interest to single women--so everything in this Bible is intended to help you to discover, walk in and grow in your identity in Christ.

There is a presentation page, so this would be a nice gift for someone who is able to read small print.

Recommended, if you can read small text and would like to have a light and inexpensive, yet decently made Bible.
****

Fulfilled: The NIV Devotional Bible for the Single Woman provides what no other devotional Bible product can deliver—the full text of the NIV Bible paired with heartfelt, practical, entertaining, and inspiring biblical insights from Christian women who understand the unique joys and challenges of living single. Single women today can feel lonely and isolated in a world that often feels as if it’s been designed for couples. Fulfilled offers insightful and encouraging notes by a variety of women writers—some names you’ll recognize and others will be new to you—that will encourage your heart by helping you recognize that you are a Christian woman who just happens to be single, either by circumstance or by choice. And this gives you the freedom to do what other women cannot. Fulfilled uplifts and inspires single or virtually single Christian women to become powerful voices for Christ. You will discover new insights, new perspectives, and a growing life in Christ. Features:• Full NIV Text • 104 Devotions written by Christian, single women authors• Profiles of single women in the Bible• Scriptural index• Encouraging Scripture verses highlighted • Topical index for single women• Presentation page

Arms Open Wide: A Call to Linger in the Savior's Presence
Arms Open Wide: A Call to Linger in the Savior's Presence
by Sherri Gragg
Price: $13.59
85 used & new from $4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Presentation of Biblical Stories For Any Age, July 18, 2014
****
This book is a lovely hybrid as a devotional book, a prayer book, and story book, all accurate to biblical history. Each of the more than 30 chapters stars with a biblical quotation and then a reference (for you to look up and read on your own) and follows with an entertaining story from the New Testament. The story fictionalizes the reading and emotionally and experientially moves the reader so that you feel that you are actually there in the story--experiencing whatever happened by looking through the main character's eyes and participating! Each chapter ends with a lovely prayer.

I really enjoyed this because it is an interesting way of adding depth to my reading of the Bible and of introducing me to historical facts that I knew nothing about. If you enjoy the Bible and want to learn more about it but don't want to "study", this would be a terrific way to do so. Older children would also enjoy this book. Possibly younger children also, if the text were read in an interesting way; there would be parts they might not understand, but I think they'd still find a lot to enjoy.

I purchased a hard copy, as for my review I was only given a paperback draft and it was very hard to read in places. The hard copy was much nicer; in fact, it was like a gift edition with gilded edges. However, there was still not a lot of contrast of the text in the prayers--they are in brown text on tan paper. The highlighted blurbs in the story are also in brown text. I have some vision challenges and it was a bit hard to read, thus the four stars. This is the only flaw I can find in a beautiful, appealing book.

Recommended.
****

Eat, Pray, HCG: Lose Weight Fast On The HCG Protocol And Keep It Off By Gaining Peace Of Mind
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Basic, Super-Simple Intro to the HCG Diet (Nothing About Prayer), June 30, 2014
***
This is a really basic, very easy read for people who are totally new to the HCG diet and need somewhere to start. Right off you should know that this is NOT a Christian book, nor a book incorporating prayer in ANY way--it is simply a cleverly worded title that unintentionally ends up misrepresenting what is inside. I was let down, as I have read several books on the HCG diet and this looked to be yet another one repeating the same information. Still, I read the book anyway, thinking that if I learned anything it would still be worth the low book price and I did indeed learn a few things and get some good reminders as well.

If you have never been on the HCG diet before and are intimidated by the more complicated books on the subject (like the Simeon protocol), or if you don't know what the Simeon protocol is, then you would fine this a friendly and helpful little primer. If you want to read a little bit but not too much, this is the book for you. The author has an approachable and reassuring tone.

Even though I am very familiar with the diet, this book contained some nice reminders for me, and some cute ideas as well. The book is also a diet memoir with the author sharing her personal experience on the HCG diet.

Recommended for complete newbies.

Recovering Redemption: A Gospel Saturated Perspective on How to Change
Recovering Redemption: A Gospel Saturated Perspective on How to Change
by Michael Snetzer
Price: $11.55
43 used & new from $10.94

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW to Change For Believers and Those Who Don't Yet Believe, June 13, 2014
*****
This book is hard for me to describe. I do think that it has become my favorite Christian book.

It is a great book for unbelievers because it presents the gospel as truly good news---if you really and truly believed that the gospel was true, how could your life actually change, be different from the way it is now--full of hope and joy and comfort--not weighed down by sin and legalism and drudgery! Buy this book for your unbelieving friends. Yet it is a great book for believers because it is a presentation of truths we know but that we need to impact us yet again and in a fresh new way so that we are empowered by the Holy Spirit. Buy this book if you want to finally get how Jesus changes us when we follow hard after Him.

I think that one of the best readers for this book is someone who is a tired and discouraged Christian--you have sought help for change in self-help books and psychological approaches because you could not find this help in your faith, no matter how hard you tried. This is it, here. This explains the technology of change via the gospel presented in a modern, casual, friendly, non-scholarly style that everyone can enjoy and understand. I just loved it. It helped me. It changed me. I get it now. I realize that what I was seeking elsewhere can actually be found in the gospel, if I truly grasp and apply it to my life.

Here are some highlights:

The book makes the point that we can't change ourselves--that self-help and self-empowerments are not truly successful and sustainable. When we try to do this, we are in essence finding "attempted redemption" outside the gospel versus in our relationship with Jesus.

A stream of ongoing repentance and the Holy Spirit working within us to change us from a deep level is how we know that we are redeemed. Repentance leads to real, true change. It grows us into character, consistency and confidence in Jesus' power and strength. It grows us into and even fuller awareness of His mercy and goodness. It is a process of allowing Him to change us. The book explains how this actually happens. How we can begin and continue to find our identity in Him as Father and in us as His children.

The chapters on sanctification are nitty-gritty and good, explaining the freedom that is available for us as believers. They describe sanctification as being made up of vivification plus mortification: "..think of vivification as the life-giving plant food and fertilizer that you spade into your garden..." and "...mortification [as]...the knuckle-busting process of pulling up the weeds." In reading this book, we are taught how to lean into sanctification.

To my great satisfaction, this book explains HOW Jesus is our peace. This is something that has been hard to grasp for me over the years, yet so important. I have thought, "If Jesus left us with His peace as a parting gift, then we should know what this is and how to have it!" yet it has been evanescent in my Christian walk. Oh, what a relief to really grasp this!

There is nothing glaringly new here, and definitely nothing that is not biblical--still I do think that everyone should read this because it is so wonderful to grasp familiar truths not just with your mind but with your heart. Even if you already think you understand all of this and have applied it to your life, this book is worth a read because you know people who are not yet where you are, and this book could reach them as it did me.

The authors, who are a popular pastor and a counselor, present these truths in a deliberate order, designed to lead us also to reconciliation in our relationships to others--"because until we realize through Christ that we've been fully pardoned, declared innocent, accepted without reservation as a delighted-in child by the Father, and have been given a means of legitimately removing the burden of our guilt and shame, our fear and anxiety, our anger, abuse, lust, and rebellion, then we're not realistically at a place of freedom to seek or risk another's forgiveness." The book is designed to lead the reader step-by-step into an experience of change that is global and affects everything in their lives.

This is a book I will read again and reference repeatedly as I continue to apply these truths to my life. Additional resources include a series of video sessions with an accompanying workbook, a leaders kit, and online video sessions.

SAN24415PP - Accent Liquid Pen Style Highlighter-10 Count
SAN24415PP - Accent Liquid Pen Style Highlighter-10 Count
Offered by Sell Lounge Inc.
Price: $11.91
24 used & new from $5.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Highlighters, June 2, 2014
*****
These highlighters come in a great range of ten different colors, including some not normally found elsewhere. My favorite is the red which is a nice, dark red that shows up well for really important highlights. The dark blue and the purple are a bit dark, but they are nice to have as well--in general all of the colors are intense. These are my standard go-to highlighters with a thinner tip (as opposed to a wide tip) for reading average size print.

I like that they last a long time and that you can tell exactly when they are about to run dry. They can be stored with the top down when they get to that almost-dry point and thus you can get a little bit more life from them.

Blazer 376RDM 36" Red Driveway Marker-1 each
Blazer 376RDM 36" Red Driveway Marker-1 each
Price: $7.73
2 used & new from $7.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Driveway Markers With Permanent Label On One Side, June 2, 2014
***
These driveway markers do the job; however, the standard height for driveway markers is 48 inches, not 36 inches. I didn't know that and so decided to use these on some other parts of the driveway (hilly, higher parts) and fiddled with them so that they were still helpful. I ended up going to a local home improvement store and got some ones that were even cheaper and the correct height for a driveway.

In addition, the label that is on one side of these is large and cannot be removed by any means that I could find, unless you want to have a big project on your hands. So you can use only one side--the other has a "red rim" that can reflect, but not like it is supposed to.

I would not buy these again.

Not recommended for intended use.

Sharpie Liquid Pen-Style Highlighters-Assorted-10 ct
Sharpie Liquid Pen-Style Highlighters-Assorted-10 ct
Offered by MyOfficeInnovations
Price: $10.95
34 used & new from $4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Highlighters, June 2, 2014
*****
These highlighters come in a great range of colors, including some not normally found elsewhere. The red is a nice, dark red that shows up well for really important highlights. The dark blue and the purple are a bit dark, but they are nice to have as well--in general all of the colors are intense. These are my standard go-to highlighters with a thinner tip (as opposed to a wide tip) for reading average size print.

HeavyWeight Yoga: Yoga for the Body You Have Today
HeavyWeight Yoga: Yoga for the Body You Have Today
DVD ~ Abby Lentz
Price: $22.46
9 used & new from $17.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Yoga DVD For Overweight People: "Yoga For the Body You Have Today", May 31, 2014
*****
I hesitated whether to give this DVD 4 or 5 stars and decided on 5, because the instructor is just so affirming and the DVD is incredibly versatile. It is not without its weaknesses, however: the DVD is very slowly paced (although this helps those of us who need things to go slowly), and there are sometimes few or no modifications given at the time of the pose. However, the instructor urges the viewer to constantly be aware of their body and to only do what they can. The DVD is very inexpensively made, too. These are the negatives I saw in what I think is an overall fantastic DVD for those of us new to yoga with large bodies. The instructor teaches "yoga for the body you have today" and models herself not waiting until you have a perfect body or a smaller body in order to begin.

On the positive side, I have to rave! Abby Lenz is so affirming. She says that her goals are to help the viewer to develop awareness, acceptance, and affection for themselves, and I do believe that she was successful with me in fostering these feelings as I participated in the different parts of the DVD. This is a hard thing to achieve, and part of why I felt that I needed to give the DVD 5 stars instead of 4. You just feel so good after doing it!

The DVD is organized into segments so that you can use it depending upon how you feel and how much time you have. You can assemble the segments into a custom workout on any given day, or alternatively you can do one of the four series that the instructor has already arranged together that range from 36 minutes to 72 minutes. The shorter segments that you can pick on your own include include a 25 minute warm-up series, two different posture series of just under 20 minutes, and a cool-down segment for 14 minutes that is really just some instructions and breathing to some serene photos and ocean sounds.

There are instructions for props (including modifications for these--lots of household items until you decide what you need to buy), instructions for those people who cannot come to the floor and for those people who are bed-bound, and then bonus materials which include instruction on breathing, using a chair for downward facing dog, using a chair to get to the floor, and getting comfortable in the cool-down meditation.

Overall this is a terrific DVD for aspiring yoga practitioners who have larger bodies.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20