Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for T.J. > Reviews

Browse

T.J.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 251

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T.J. RSS Feed (Texas/Italy)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Night Therapy Mygel Memory Foam Traditional pillow, Set of Two
Night Therapy Mygel Memory Foam Traditional pillow, Set of Two
Offered by Sleep Revolution
Price: $45.00
2 used & new from $45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not enough neck support, but a good pillow none-the-less, May 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have some serious neck issues and I have gone through a tremendous number of pillows looking for ones that will support my neck well while keeping my head in a neutral position; I am also a side-sleeper. The only pillow that has worked great for me, is the Roho Sleepmatterzzz Dual-Valve Cervical Pillow - Queen: 14"W X 25"L smp2rcrclsq. Unfortunately, it is no longer manufactured, so I have been exhaustingly searching for a replacement. The Night Therapy Mygel pillow provides okay neck support, but it's not enough for me and I feel my neck sinking a little too much into the foam, kinking the angle between my head and neck. Also, one of the biggest things that determines if a pillow keeps your head in a neutral position is the firmness of your mattress, because depending on how much you sink into the mattress, that will be part of determining the angle that your head rests on the pillow, that along with the firmness of the pillow. Keep this in mind as you read the reviews of folks since they likely have a different mattress than you. It can take a long time to get the perfect pairing of mattress AND pillow, and for some the only option is to test it yourself. For me, I am using this pillow on a memory foam mattress, and though this is a great and comfortable pillow, it doesn't provide the support I need (keep in mind I have some serious neck support issues). My wife on the otherhand loves this pillow, so it's a big thumbs up from her.

Life Gear  Light-WRX M3 3.5" Sharp Pocket Knife with USB Rechargeable Flashlight
Life Gear Light-WRX M3 3.5" Sharp Pocket Knife with USB Rechargeable Flashlight
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $21.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Blade can swing out on its own!, May 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
***I'm updating this review and changing it from a 3-star to a 1-star. I had the knife in my hand, turned my wrist pretty firmly, and the blade unexpectedly flung out and the tip of it went through my pants and into my leg. That is unacceptable and makes this knife extremely unpredictable and dangerous!***
--------------------------
I'm in the military and have quite a bit of experience with knives, and this one is built pretty poorly. We were pretty excited to get this knife, but the quality is not what we were expecting. I've uploaded some photos that show the plastic handle separating from the body on the side where the flashlight is. It seems as though with the battery and other associated electronics, that it pushes the handle out. They should have just made a slightly larger handle so that the inner electronics could be completely protected. It would be nice if the USB port that is used to charge the battery had a rubber cover on it just to provide it a little protection from the elements and pocket lint. The battery takes 1 hr to charge and gives a 3hr use time, which is pretty good. The knife is sharp and I do like the glass breaker on the end. The carrying clip has a good spring to it, and the USB cable that comes with the knife is only 5-6 inches long; it needs to be longer. The light clicks on and off really well, but if you want to operate the flashlight with your thumb, which is the intuitive way to do it, then the button would be better positioned for a right-handed user on the other side; if you are a left-handed user, the button is perfectly positioned. The knife open and locks out really well, and is easily unlocked and collapsed.

If you have any questions about the knife, just ask in the comments and I'll try and respond promptly.

Zinus Deluxe Ultima Memory Foam Shoulder pillow-Set of 2
Zinus Deluxe Ultima Memory Foam Shoulder pillow-Set of 2
Price: $44.70
2 used & new from $44.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't provide the support I need, May 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have some serious neck problems, and it's critical for me that I find a good pillow that can keep my neck in a neutral position with a good amount of support for a side sleeper. I currently use a pillow made by Roho, but they have discontinued their line and I am now in search of a replacement. I was hoping that this pillow would make the grade, but it does not. First off, if I put on a standard pillowcase on this, it doesn't fit it well, it's a bit too short in the length because the curved side of the pillow is longer than a standard pillowcase. The second issue I have with this pillow is that it doesn't allow me to place my head on the end of the pillow because the way it is designed, it encourages you to place your head right in the middle because of the curve. Of course you can put your head on the end, but if you do the benefits of the pillow are then negated and you have to turn the pillow a bit to get additional neck support, and then you lose support for you head. It just hasn't worked well for me, and I was desperate that it would. If you do not need to have your neck and head in a neutral position and you don't need to place your head on the end of the pillow, then this is a pretty decent pillow; it's certainly soft and provides decent support.

If you have any questions about the pillow, just ask in the comments and I'll try and respond promptly.

ERGObaby Adapt 3 Position Baby Carrier, Black
ERGObaby Adapt 3 Position Baby Carrier, Black
Price: $144.00
9 used & new from $144.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Gained Features & Lost Features, May 13, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have tried a few carriers, and were gifted a BabyBjorn which we used quite a bit, up until our midwife advised us against it due to how the baby's hips are positioned in it. She recommended the ERGObaby carrier as a better one for the baby, and so that is what we have been using for about a year and we, and baby, have loved it.

We were excited to get the new ERGObaby Adapt, and they have made some small, but significant, changes to their carrier, and now the Adapt version allows you to carry a newborn without the purchase of an additional insert. We currently use Ergobaby Original 3 Position Baby Carrier Galaxy Grey in which you can't do this, so this is a really good change for us as we are still planning for more kiddos to come. What this means is that this is the only carrier you should ever need, and that's really nice. The way that they have accomplished this is by having 3 different velcro settings for the harness that adjusts the width of where the baby's hips will be. They make the velcro settings extremely easy to set, and the information is also put on a label and stitched into the carrier that shows you how to adjust it and at what weights/heights, so you will never lose the "instructions". It really couldn't be made any easier.

The waist belt is not as easy to put on as the old version because it requires adjusting on both the left and right side to center it perfectly for lumbar support. This isn't much of a problem if you are the only one using the carrier, but if you have multiple people using the carrier, this is going to get old really fast. This is easily my #1 complaint with this carrier because we alternate who wears the harness quite often. I'd really like to see them revert to the old waist belt in future versions where you only have to adjust one side.

The attachment system for the backpack straps has changed completely, and there is now the option to crisscross the backpack straps. What I don't like about this is that it makes putting on the harness more difficult, but doable. Between a big husband and petite wife with the old Ergobaby carrier, we never had a problem with the straps in the normal "H" configuration, so we're not quite sure what the purpose of the optional "X" configuration is, but I guess if it provides more comfort for people, then that's good. From our perspective, this change means that there are now new attachment buckles where previously the straps where sewn on. We prefer less buckles when possible, and also like the security of having the straps sewn on. Also, getting the carrier into the "X" configuration is NOT EASY, and I just can't for the life of me imaging doing this constantly as I take the carrier on and off multiple times a day.

They removed a wonderful and usable zippered front pocket and replaced it with an open pocket that now stores the sunshade. The sunshade is wonderful and is one of the best things about the carrier, but not having a zippered storage pocket is a huge impact! Perhaps if they had more storage options for keys and such that would work out well, but nope! I would really like to see them bring back the zippered pocket in future models. What they had before worked better and was superior to the way it is designed now.

The neck support is great and can be folded down, easy to button down in either configuration. No complaints here at all.

We do like the carrier, and LOVE that you can now have one carrier from newborn to toddler, but the absence of the zippered pocked and the change to the backpack straps and waist straps is something we do not like, especially for a couple who alternates carrying the baby. However, we are sold on the ErgoBaby carrier as being one of the best if not the best carrier available for the baby due to how the babies hips can be positioned while seated. Our baby loves the carrier and loves to fall asleep in it. Be sure to read the instructions since there are configurations which are only appropriate for certain baby weights. Also, keep in mind that the black color is nice and looks sharp, but gets hot fast.

BOB 2016 Revolution FLEX Stroller, Canyon
BOB 2016 Revolution FLEX Stroller, Canyon
Price: $399.99
8 used & new from $399.99

5.0 out of 5 stars We Love BOB!, May 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is our second BOB stroller and we absolutely love it; they just don't make strollers any better. We had to get a second because we now have two kids in strollers, not because our first one broke down. FYI, maximum weight of child and luggage is 75 lbs.

This model has a wonderful adjustable handlebar (I am tall and my wife is.... not tall. LOL), and what we absolutely LOVE is the enormous canopy. The canopy can be folded all the way back, pulled out partway, and then pulled out the rest of the way and when fully pulled out, It comes down almost parallel to the horizon, so you can keep the sun out of your baby's eyes in most (not all) circumstances. When we walk through the woods, it's nice to have it open all the way so he can see the sky, but when our boy starts to fall asleep, then we close it up to give him some peace. There's a wonderful peekaboo window on the top of the canopy that you can open/close to see your baby, which is really handy since the canopy is so enormous.

The suspension cushions everything very nicely, and when we go offroad with my boy, he falls asleep fast, but he loves to be jostled around (it's a smooth jostling, not a jerky or abrupt jostling). The front wheel locks and unlocks really easy and really fast so you can alternate between walking and jogging mode. In walking mode you want the wheel to swivel, but in jogging mode you want the wheel to be locked. When the front wheel is locked, the stroller may pull slightly to the left or right, but you can easily adjust this so it tracks straight. Jogging with the stroller is a dream, it's so much fun to take the boy out for a run. The bottom storage area is pretty big, and it has been slightly enlarged from our last BOB, which is wonderful since you NEVER seem to have enough storage area; it can hold our diaper backpack with ease. The shoulder straps are nicely padded and you can strap in your baby bundle very easy and quickly. There are 2, small, mesh, inner side pockets that are big enough to hold a sippy cup, snacks, or small stuffed animal.

Folding up the BOB is pretty easy 3-step process, but unfortunately, it does not automatically lock closed (our biggest gripe); you have to manually connect a fastener which can be difficult to do. Once folded up the BOB is awkward and moving it in and out of the car is a burden for my wife; she doesn't like to do it (though she LOVES the BOB). It takes up a lot of space in the trunk if not most of the space we have. Of course, we have other strollers that are lighter and fold up much smaller that we use on a daily basis and when we go grocery shopping and do general errands; the BOB is not going to be a daily stroller for most parents that are on the go, it's just too bulky. The front wheel is a quick release wheel that works the same as a regular quick release wheel on a bicycle. The rear wheels can also be easily removed, but it takes a little bit more time.

There are no cup holders or anything like that, but we did buy the additional storage bag that velcro attaches to the handlebar and there are two cup holders in that along with some additional storage; we highly recommend that addition (because you never have enough storage), though it doesn't fit as perfectly as you'd expect. We have one strap around the handlebar that adjusts up and down, and then one strap attached to the frame just after the pivot point for the handlebar. This means that if the handle is in the high position, the bag then tilts forward. To be fair, I don't see how they could do it any other way; with a handlebar bag, it's going to either be tilted up or down depending on how you have the handlebar set. The bag will only sit level if the handlebar is level. Still, the bag is great to have, and is useful for sippy cups (without handles), keys, tissues, phone, etc... The seating area can be reclined with one hand, which is a nice improvement from the one we currently have which required two hands.

We also have the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat adapter frame. The adapter snaps into the BOB perfectly; it is super easy. The car seat then clicks into the adapter and it really couldn't be any easier, there are no problems with that at all.

We have also used this stroller a lot at outdoor markets and such that have gravel grounds. This stroller is unmatched for that environment because with a regular stroller in loose gravel, you are literally dragging/pulling it around most of the time (and you can forget trying to push it), whereas the BOB will roll through pretty deep gravel with ease. We got our first BOB stroller in dark green, and then we realized later that a brighter color is better for a jogging stroller when it comes to visibility and safety, so we are happy with the canyon color for that reason. We haven't had any flat tires or had to pump up any tires, but the additional handlebar bag we purchased came with a small pump that stores in the bag, which is nice if you need it. We also have the rain cover and that stores easily wherever you want. The only difference between this BOB version (the Flex) and the Pro version is the handbrake, which is a nice feature if you live in an area with lots of hills. The rear wheels are easy to lock with a bar that you can flick down with your foot.

So to sum up, the downsides are that the stroller is very bulky and doesn't automatically lock shut. The positives for the stroller are so numerous that they far outweigh the downsides we have discovered. The thing I like about the stroller is that it's actually fun to take it out, it's like baby 4WD! If you are looking for an amazing jogging/offroad stroller, then you're going to be hard-pressed to find anything more capable. When it comes time to sell the BOB, we will miss it dearly!

Skip Hop Zoo Bath Pull and Go Submarine, Monkey
Skip Hop Zoo Bath Pull and Go Submarine, Monkey
Price: $7.99
6 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing beats having a sub bath toy!!!, April 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not sure who's having more fun with this sub, baby or daddy. Yeah, it's really that much fun. For this daddy, the submarine is the epitome of bath toys, and although I would like to have a much cooler sub, my son is only 1 yr old, so this is perfect for him. He is a really strong boy for his age, and he can only pull the string about an inch, but that's fine since I'm there to pull it. He is fascinated with the pull string, likes to see the sub move, and thinks the propeller is for eating. So far, no water has gotten into the cockpit and it drains without a problem. It floats right-side up and does move forward when it's in the water and the propeller is moving. There's not enough juice to get it to go the entire length of the tub, but that's not a big deal for us. It really is so much fun; I can't wait until he's a bit older and can actually "play" submarine with it.

Ubbi Adjustable Toilet Trainer with Built-in Handles, Gray
Ubbi Adjustable Toilet Trainer with Built-in Handles, Gray
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Curvy, but gets the job done, April 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The look of the Ubbi is extremely cool, but it almost seems over-engineered with all the curves. Our boy slides forward against the splash guard, so that's a bit awkward for him, but he manages. Perhaps if it wasn't as curvy he wouldn't slide forward. It took a bit to get it adjusted to the seat, but I think we are good now. My son naturally grabs the handles, so all of us like that; hopefully he doesn't transfer that behavior to a real toilet seat! I really think the best improvement that can be made to the trainer is to make it less curvy, but it works okay and we will continue to use it. The hook is a nice addition.

Braun Forehead Thermometer
Braun Forehead Thermometer
Price: $23.44
83 used & new from $17.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult with small children, April 27, 2016
We bought this to be prepared for our first baby (don't forget the nosefrida!) and it worked out okay. I say only "okay" because even though it gave accurate temperatures, getting the reading could take some time with a baby that wont stay still. You need to swipe the thermometer on the skin from the top of the head, to the temple, and then back again. Doing this with our child proved to be exceedingly difficult since he'd move his head, but once we were able to do it, we got a good reading. Personally, I like the backlit color-coding of green/yellow/red, and it always was the right color when our boy was sick or well. When he had a 104 temp, it was red, and it turned yellow as it came down. Very nice. So, a few things we didn't like about this thermometer, and that's the swiping motion required as I already mentioned, in which the thermometer must be in contact with the skin, and the fact that it takes a few seconds to get the reading. With a squirming child, this proved difficult, and then he would just get more squirmy when you keep trying to do it to get a better reading. They now have thermometers that provide a much faster reading, don't need to touch the skin, and can also take the temp via the ear canal, so you might want to look at those. There is also an end-cap that goes on the thermometer, but it doesn't attach very well and you will likely lose that in time, but that's probably okay. We lost our thermometer somehow between emergency room visits and now we need to buy another one, but we will be looking at another brand. However, if you have older kids that will sit still while you take their temperature, then I think buying this thermometer and saving some money is the better way to go.

If you have any questions, just ask in the comments and I'll try and respond promptly

The Market Gardener: A Successful Grower's Handbook for Small-scale Organic Farming
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for the aspiring farmer, April 15, 2016
A lot of people that don't read this book are quick to say things like, "yeah, you say he makes 6 figures, but he's in a city and supplies restaurants", and that his method wont work in other locations. First off, yes, he does make 6 figures, but he lives in the country (60 min or so from the city), and while he does supply restaurants, he mostly supplies families and sells at farmers markets. Him and his wife also work about 40 hrs a week and he hires one or two people seasonally and shuts down for about 3 months in the winter. His book shows in excellent detail how he has achieved his success over time (not overnight), and the steps are very practical for other locations. OF COURSE there will be things you need to adjust if you apply this method in other areas (and any potential farmer should know that), but the information is extremely practical and relevant no matter where you are. If you want to do micro-intensive farming, this is a wonderful resource and shows you the things you need to do and start thinking about. I am currently looking for land where I will start my own micro-farm operation, and while I will not use this book exclusively (every farm is different), it's going to be a major reference. Of note, Jean Martin has recently started to integrate permaculture into his operation, and that information is not contained in this reference since he's just started in that endeavor. It is still an excellent reference for the aspiring organic grower. Personally, I very-much appreciate his common-sense approach on standardized beds and hand tools that are designed for those beds. His practices will not only give me fantastic food, but will also help me to become more physically fit through efficient manual labor, which as someone who works behind a desk, I am craving. He also shows how he looks at his crop value, crop rotation, how he works his greenhouse, transplants, and many examples of his spreadsheets that keep his business running a profit; the list goes on and on... I can't recommend this book enough.

Ubbi Step Stool, Gray
Ubbi Step Stool, Gray
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't slide around - Strong & Nice Looking, April 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this stool because it doesn't slide around easy (due to the rubber on the bottom) and has some traction on the top to give your feet some grip; this works well for our son who is starting to toilet train. We have another stool and because it does slide around a bit, I have to be careful to ensure I am standing dead-center on it when using it; I appreciate that I don't have that concern when I'm using this stool. The cutout at the bottom makes it easy to grab and move. The circle design on top does help to make a basic stool look a little classier. It's a good, durable, and strong stool and we are happy with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20