Profile for Stephen P. Osvath > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen P. Osvath RSS Feed (Medina, OH USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Far and Away
Far and Away
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic love story - great film!, February 14, 2014
One of my favorite popcorn movies! Wonderful script, cinematography, and acting. This movie continues to hold its magic. Highly recommended!!

Frozen (Two-Disc Blu-ray / DVD + Digital Copy)
Frozen (Two-Disc Blu-ray / DVD + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Kristen Bell
Price: $24.96
105 used & new from $14.28

1.0 out of 5 stars No 3D Blu-ray, no purchase!, February 14, 2014
There are many sites that provide forums for reviews of content. If you want that, go to IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, or any number of other movie review sites. Since Amazon is a retailer, this is a review of the product being offered for sale. There is no excuse for a studio to delay the release of a 3D movie in a 3D format, simply in hopes that people will purchase it twice. It's transparent Corporate greed. Walt would not approve.

If a movie was shown in theaters in 3D, it should be released in 3D Blu-Ray. The experience of a 3D film is very different from 2D. I'll hold my purchase until it is released in the same format in which it was produced.

One star for Disney's puzzling decision. :-(
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 1:46 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Night at the Museum is terrific family entertainment, December 24, 2006
My family and I just came back from seeing Night at the Museum on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. My kids laughed hysterically, my wife said it's her new favorite movie, and I walked away pleased at having seen the best family movie in a very long time! Don't listen to the critics, many of whom have panned this film for a reason that escapes me. Night at the Museum succeeded in every way that is to be expected from a family-friendly action/adventure!! All of the stars in this film -- especially Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson -- played their roles wonderfully. The characters were likable, the special effects were stunning, and the story was truly unique.

Every so often, a film comes along that the critics hate but audiences love. Night at the Museum is a "popcorn" movie if there ever was one. My family is already saying that they want to see it again! It will have to wait until the DVD release, but this will be a sure buy for me when it becomes available.

If you want to see a truly wonderful film that delights from start to finish, see Night at the Museum.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2007 8:57 AM PST

Twice Upon a Time [VHS]
Twice Upon a Time [VHS]
VHS
12 used & new from $44.50

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest and most imaginative animated films of all time (the uncut version), November 19, 2006
This review is from: Twice Upon a Time [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I saw the uncut version on HBO when it first came out. The storyline and characters were so well developed and the dialogue was absolutely hilarious. As I recall, it didn't run on HBO for very long (probably due to the aforementioned conflict between its creators). I've been looking for Twice Upon a Time on DVD ever since the dawn of DVDs. If it ever becomes available in that format from Amazon.com, I will purchase it without hesitation.

It would be very disappointing if the film was edited from its original form, though. In today's day and age, I'm unsure why that would be necessary -- as even the uncut version would not have exceeded a PG-13 rating. The irreverent exchanges were also the most clever parts of the script, so their removal would undoubtedly take away from an otherwise excellent film. Perhaps the DVD could have a selection for both versions.

To this day, I still use the term "garbagerie" when I throw something out. Given that this is a thirteen year-old, practically unknown cult classic -- you have to admit it has staying power!!

Highly recommended!

My Sassy Girl (2001)
My Sassy Girl (2001)
DVD ~ Jun Ji Hyun
Offered by Asian Mall
Price: $16.99
5 used & new from $11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romantic comedy ever!, November 5, 2006
This review is from: My Sassy Girl (2001) (DVD)
A couple of years ago, I read a review of this film and wanted to buy it. However, it was not available at that time as a Region 1 DVD. I later learned that Hollywood bought the rights to the film and it would no longer be distributed in the U.S. Well, this fall I saw that it was available on Amazon.com and I immediately jumped at the chance to purchase it. Even at about $[...] (to get an original manufacturer version and not a reproduction), it was worth both the price and the wait!

I own almost 300 DVDs and 87 of them are foreign language films. "My Sassy Girl" ranks up there among the classics and it is the best romantic comedy that I've ever seen. My wife (who is luke-warm on many foreign films) absolutely loved it as well. I find it hard to believe that the Hollywood version coming out in 2007 will be able to hold a candle to the Korean language version (2001).

This film is an absolutely wonderful story (which explains why Hollywood bought the rights to it). It hits on all cylinders -- the movie moves along at a nice pace, it is genuinely funny, and you grow to really like the characters by the end. I can't recommend this one enough, as it ranks in my top ten favorite movies of all time. It's worth many repeat viewings, which not many movies can claim. Pick up the Korean language version while you still can!!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Price: $9.25
1306 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurray for Disney, Pirates, and WIDESCREEN!!!, December 1, 2003
Thank you Disney for releasing a great movie in a format where we see the WHOLE (i.e. 100%) of the picture, rather than fullscreen, which cuts off the sides!!! I have a standard TV and only watch widescreen -- even in my minivan, which only has about a 9 inch screen.
Hopefully, this is a new trend with our friends at Disney and they can be a leader in releasing DVDs using the original aspect ratio -- the way that the films were presented in theaters. The fullscreen crowd will eventually understand what they're missing, just like the "record store holdouts" who originally resisted the conversion to CDs.
BRAVO DISNEY!!

The Muppet Christmas Carol
The Muppet Christmas Carol
DVD ~ Michael Caine
31 used & new from $2.17

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD NOT IN WIDESCREEN, Disney should be ashamed!!, October 6, 2002
This review is from: The Muppet Christmas Carol (DVD)
This film is one of the Christmas classics and a favorite of our whole family's. The film deserves "5-stars." However, Disney chose to release "pan-and-scan" only for the DVD. Since pan-and-scan chops off the sides so that the movie is the same aspect ratio as a standard TV, we're only seeing half of the film. Therefore, I can give this "VHS with chapter stops" version of the film no more than two stars.
Disney should be ashamed of themselves, ... ruining such a wonderful film with a sub-par DVD release. I was really looking forward to seeing this film as it was seen in the theaters (i.e. in WIDESCREEN). Maybe another year.
Perhaps Disney is letting art imitate life. Perhaps, ... just perhaps, ... they will turn over a new leaf like Ebeneezer Scrooge and start releasing films in their Original Aspect Ratio!!
We can only dream.

Dark Blue World
Dark Blue World
DVD ~ Ondrej Vetchý
26 used & new from $5.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Blue World - An instant classic!, June 4, 2002
This review is from: Dark Blue World (DVD)
I'm quickly realizing that there are some unbelievably good foreign films out there (I own about a half-dozen now). My wife and I watched Dark Blue World on DVD this weekend. It is one of the best epic war movies that I've ever seen and a very fine DVD release. The cinematography was amazing and the Dolby Digital mix was stunning. I felt as if there really were Spitfires and BF-109s flying through my living room!
In case you haven't heard of it, Dark Blue World is about Czech fighter pilots who fought for the RAF during World War II. In addition to an amazing history lesson, it was one of the best war screenplays I've ever seen and was wonderfully acted and directed. This is the first movie in a long, long time that I really felt connected to the characters. It makes me want to see more from this director and these actors. Jan Sverák should have been nominated for Best Director. Ondrej Vetchý (as Frantisek Sláma), Krystof Hádek (as Karel Vojtisek), and Tara Fitzgerald (as Susan) were all outstanding. It is rare that you see a movie so well balanced with stellar performances. Even the dog was perfectly cast (you'll know what I mean when the tears are rolling down your face as the main character has to leave her behind)!
Most of the movie is in Czech with English subtitles, which is refreshing. Hearing everything in the correct language sure does make the experience so much more fulfilling. It has the best aerial combat scenes in any film, ever. You'd think that you were seeing very high-quality historical film of the real thing. I'm a pilot and, as such, I'm extremely demanding in this area for accuracy down to the last detail. Let me tell you that the production staff for Dark Blue World didn't miss any detail. The combat sequences will take your breath away and really leave you with an appreciation for the sacrifices made by these pilots.
Even though I just saw it a couple of days ago, I'm gonna watch it again really soon. You won't be disappointed!!! I think that this film is the sleeper hit of 2001. It has my unqualified recommendation.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Star Wars film yet!!!!!, May 25, 2002
Ever since the first theatrical run of Star Wars in 1977, the sequels have gotten more and more "kiddified" (sans The Empire Strikes Back, which was moderately dark). George Lucas' "Special Editions" were further attempts to make the series more suitable for his young children. Consequently, you can imagine how I was luke-warm about The Phantom Menace when I saw it theatrically.
Let me tell you right now that Attack of the Clones is NOT The Phantom Menace. AOTC is, in my opinion, the best all around Star Wars film yet. George Lucas really exceeded my wildest expectations. Any film critic that gives it a poor review is merely attempting to wield the mighty "power of the pen" because they have the power to do so.
AOTC was visually the best film that I've ever seen. There weren't two frames of the movie that you would think took less than 2,000 manhours to create. I can't wait to see it again to catch the millions of details that I missed the first time. It was the deepest plot of all of the Star Wars films. The plot took many unexpected twists and had emotional levels that previous Star Wars films never reached (and I vividly remember seeing the first Star Wars upon its original theatrical release -- I even remember exactly where I was sitting in the theater). Attack of the Clones was dark and very serious, but ran the gamut of love, hate, humor, and excitement. Best of all, ... it was a GREAT story. Go see it -- if you are in the least bit a Star Wars fan, you won't be disappointed!

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition)
A.I. - Artificial Intelligence (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition)
DVD ~ Haley Joel Osment
Price: $6.49
370 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A.I. is the perfect fairy tale!!!, March 9, 2002
About two or three times per year, I purchase a DVD "sight-unseen" based on reviews that I've read. Usually, it's because the comments and/or divided opinions about the movie intrigued me enough to have it in my collection. Sometimes it works out well; other times, it's a complete bust. One thing I've learned is that movies affect people in very different ways. All of my favorite films have been trashed by someone (often world-reknowned critics) and all of the films that I think are terrible are on someone's "favorite" list (sometimes winning best picture, to my dismay). Film reviewing is a very subjective occupation indeed. With that in mind -- on Thursday, I bought A.I. sight-unseen. Here are my thoughts, ...
1. A.I. is one of the very best movies that I've seen in years! I was captivated from beginning to end and I'm still thinking of it days later. I absolutely cannot understand why some of the reviews I've read were so negative. It was the perfect fairy tale.
2. I vehemently disagree with all of the opinions expressed about the ending (*** don't worry, ... no spoilers here ***). The ending was absolutely perfect. I thought that the film couldn't have tied everything together so perfectly with any other ending. A.I. was an epic, to say the least. I also don't believe that it ran one second too long.
3. I cannot understand why so many people thought that, of the three acts, two were Kubrik and the last was all Spielberg. I disagree. I thought that the movie flowed beautifully among the three acts. Although the ending certainly took me by surprise, I didn't think it was out of place from the context of what had preceded AT ALL! In fact, it was a breathtaking twist on the overall story and what made it so memorable.
4. This 2-disc DVD set is as well-done as anything I own (with a collection of about 150 DVDs right now). The picture and sound are perfectly done -- it is obvious that great care was taken in mastering this DVD. The extras are amazing and plentiful. My wife and I, after watching the movie, sat through all of the extras! I've never done that before, ever. A.I. is a great addition to my collection of DVDs. I look forward to watching it again.
5. The Oscars are totally fixed if A.I. does not get the following Academy Awards:
A.I. should be nominated for, ...
Best Picture
It should win (hands-down), ...
Best Actor (Haley Joel Osment)
Best Supporting Actor (Jude Law)
Best Director (Steven Spielberg)
Best Original Screenplay
Best Art Direction
Best Special Effects
Best Makeup
Best Costume Design
Of course, we already know that A.I. is going to get robbed due to its lack of success at the box office.
Shame.
All I have to say is, ... Don't pay any attention to the negative reviews that you may have read about this movie, ... they're nuts.
Go out and buy this film today. Don't expect Star Wars. It's not that. However, if you love character development, a deep story, and films that make you think -- you won't be disappointed!

Page: 1 | 2