Profile for Mark Edwards > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Edwards RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
C&E Mini_Dis-HDMI-CB6 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable, 6 feet
C&E Mini_Dis-HDMI-CB6 Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable, 6 feet
Offered by Wholesaleprices
Price: $4.06
47 used & new from $2.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap. No durability., August 3, 2012
Bought this cable in mid-March so I could give presentations off my MacBook Air. Worked only until early July. Suddenly no picture on the display. The status would read No Signal or Incompatible Signal, even though the MBA reported each device accurately. Between office and home, I have access to a dozen or so; I know it wasn't an issue with a single display. Then I realized that the plastic encasing the HDMI end had split open completely, one end to the other. I am guessing that's allowing some sort of interference or signal scrambling to take place. I'll be buying another cable but certainly not such a cheap, no-name one. You might get lucky. But I wouldn't count on it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother. Terrible Product. Complete Waste of Time., February 28, 2010
I've been using Quicken for Mac for well over a decade. My needs aren't complicated. I track my bank accounts and credit cards then spit out a report that goes to my accountant each year.

I'd read many of the cautious press reviews of QEM. But most concentrate on missing features like investment tracking, links to Turbo Tax and other aspects I have never used. I've also been trudging along with Quicken Deluxe 2002, not bothering to update because the latest '07 release wasn't Intel native either.

So I thought I'd give QEM a try since my needs are pretty simple. At first all seemed good. My Quicken data file came in without an issue. I started updating my accounts, establishing online links, etc. I was pleased. The one caveat was that my custom report from QD02 wasn't brought in. Didn't seem a big deal because I'd defined it using categories. I have last year's report so I could just recreate it by selecting my tax specific categories, right?

Then I went to run the report and discovered, to my horror, that QEM can't export anything. You can look at your data on screen. You can print it. And that's it, folks.

I find that shocking. This update that Mac users have waited years for can't do much more than the free [...] product. I've submitted a refund request to Intuit and reverted to QD02.

In 20 plus years of using the Mac, I've never come across a major commercial release so inadequate, ill conceived and overpriced. Do not waste your time with this stinker.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats Love It, December 8, 2008
My two cats immediately took to the Star Chaser. One was on top of it before I could completely remove the overwrap. Probably was attracted to the included cat nip. Then they discovered the light up ball and we were off to the races, so to speak.

In the weeks since it arrived, they've continued to scratch at the center and bat the ball each day. They show no signs of boredom. But as another reviewer said, avoid placing it where someone sleeps. I've gotten up and gone downstairs in the middle of the night to find one of the cats furiously batting the light-up ball around its track.

Dyson DC16 Root 6 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC16 Root 6 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, December 8, 2008
I've been intrigued by Dyson vacuums for years. They seem well designed but could they really be worth the high price?

We've kept a Dustbuster around, mainly for cat litter clean up and the small bits that don't require getting out the big upright. Like clockwork though, we've had to replace them every couple of years because the batteries develop memory charge issues. The unit will run at full strength for a few seconds then start slowing down. Cleaning them is a pain, too. The filter stacks on top of the cup that collects the dirt so you have to touch it and get dirty while emptying the unit. Replacement filters can be tough to find. And the most recent unit we had invariably seemed to exhaust a fair amount of dust right in your face the first time it ran after a cleaning.

When the last Dustbuster started dying after only a year or so, I decided to splurge on the Dyson DC16. Haven't had a moment of regret.

It's powerful. There's no drop off because the li-on battery isn't subject to memory issues like older, cheaper technology used by competitors. I've seen other reviewers complain about how long a charge lasts and I don't understand the concerns. The DC16 is far superior to any other cordless unit in terms of battery power and life.

It's well designed. The battery pack can be easily changed. One-button empties the bin and you don't have to touch any dirty areas. The brush slides out of the way when you don't need it so it can't get lost.

It's easy to maintain. Dyson recommends cleaning the filters every three months. The first time I did, I was delighted to realize that the entire unit comes apart when you press a few tabs. This allows you to wash and dry all the areas that contact dirt. The motor and electronics are housed in the handle section and protected by the filters. Then everything easily snaps back together. I've had mine eight months so it's been washed twice. After cleaning, it feels brand new again. No grime buildup. No dust in the face.

Yes, the Dyson DC16 is expensive. But after living with it for eight months, I feel it's worth every penny.

If you keep a Dustbuster-like cordless around for quick cleanups and you're tired of replacing it every couple of years because of its designed-in obsolescence, get the Dyson.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2010 5:29 PM PDT

Wall-E (Two-Disc Edition + BD Live) [Blu-ray]
Wall-E (Two-Disc Edition + BD Live) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jeff Garlin
Offered by Brand New Rarities
Price: $29.97
59 used & new from $3.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Version, November 17, 2008
I'm rating the Blu-ray 2-disc edition only, not the film. I preordered the Blu-Ray versioin of Wall-E months before its release--at the time there was no description. As the release date neared, Disney started running ads touting the Blu-Ray with the digital download. I thought it would be great to have a choice of watching it on my HDTV or iPhone. When my package arrived (a day early), I quickly opened it and looked for instructions on getting the download. When I couldn't find any info, I checked Amazon and discovered that now there are two versions of the Blu-ray. This two disc package and a three disc one. Only the three disc version comes with the digital download. Worse, both are priced the same. Amazon, you ripped me off.

Since I opened the disc already, I'm sure I can't return it. Maybe I can save you the same mistake. Be careful which you buy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2008 10:56 AM PST

Control (The Miriam Collection)
Control (The Miriam Collection)
DVD ~ Samantha Morton
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $13.99
28 used & new from $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves Every Rave, June 24, 2008
When a film collects as many raves as Control, I usually approach it with a good bit of skepticism. In this case though, the movie deserves every bit of praise and then some. I found it riveting from beginning to end and well worth every penny for the DVD.

Joy Division (The Miriam Collection)
Joy Division (The Miriam Collection)
DVD ~ Tony Wilson
Price: $19.49
16 used & new from $14.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, June 24, 2008
This film will no doubt go down as the definitive piece on Joy Division, thanks to the participation of the surviving band members and the late Tony Wilson. Better still, the DVD delivers pages of extras. While it may lack a FAC number, the menu designs and other attention to detail make the disc feel very much like a Factory release. As others have said, it's a great companion piece to Control and New Order Story.

The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters
The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters
by Chip Kidd
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It Now, December 29, 2001
You have to hold the hardcover version of this book in your hands to truly appreciate it. Little delights are everywhere. Thank you messages run around the cover's edge. Hidden slogans lurk in plain view. Even the normally-boilerplate copyright statement seduces the eye. The fact that the enclosed story proves every bit as diverting is almost a bonus.

The Butterfly Boy
The Butterfly Boy
by Richard Cawley
22 used & new from $0.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrendous, December 29, 2001
This review is from: The Butterfly Boy (Paperback)
Among the worst books I've read. Ever. Gaping plot holes. Leaden and nonsensical dialog. Characters that would have more dimension if they were cut from tracing paper.
But at least the reader can indulge in an entertaining game of Find The Typos. Their all-too-numerous presence indicates that everyone involved in this..., from the author to the shipping clerks at the publishing house, deserve to be proscribed from so much as touching paper not to mention ink again.
Frankly, I should have put the thing down after reading the dedication in which former dress designer and TV chef Cawley thanks two psychics and a street gypsy for encouraging him to write this so-called novel.
You, however, still have the chance to walk away.

Urbania
Urbania
DVD ~ Dan Futterman
Price: $9.56
43 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Make The Same Mistake I Did, December 19, 2001
This review is from: Urbania (DVD)
To put it succinctly, this movie (is not good).
Don't be fooled by the positive reviews as I was. Yes it's a gay-theme film with some attractive bodies but you'll be giving up 105 minutes of your life that you'll never have back. It's predictable, boring and ultimately depressing.
All in all, a horrible excuse for entertainment.

Page: 1 | 2