Profile for Vini® > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Vini® RSS Feed (Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cable Matters Gold-Plated Active HDMI to VGA Adapter (Male to Female) with 3 Ft Micro USB Cable - Black
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $14.99
12 used & new from $12.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, February 18, 2015
Works perfectly. Connected to a Raspberry Pi, with the micro-usb input connected to a powered hub. No issues. Good size. Decent price ($14-15). Maybe the HDMI cable could be a little longer, but it's not bad at all (and some may prefer it short as it is).

Yamaha EPH-20BR In-Ear Headphones (Brown)
Yamaha EPH-20BR In-Ear Headphones (Brown)
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, February 18, 2015
Bought these after reading several reviews saying it's "balanced", has "good bass", etc.. I have used them for a few months now. To me they can be anything but balanced. I have to use the equalizer in my portable player to turn down the whole 500-8000Hz range by up to 2dB (the same player that sounds good with other headphones and no equalization). In "flat mode" they sound terrible, too much mids and highs. Almost no bass. Tried them with different players too, no luck. Maybe it was a bad batch...

The silicone tips are comfortable. I like the 90-degree plug. The cord doesn't look bad, but its attachment to the ear buds doesn't look very sturdy. It also tangles very easily. And it conducts a lot of noise while dangling - I use a clip removed from an old cell phone headset to avoid this.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed, especially with the sound quality. I'll try another brand, I hope they'll be better than these.

Tenda 150Mbps Wireless PICO USB Adapter (W311MI)
Tenda 150Mbps Wireless PICO USB Adapter (W311MI)
Offered by LoTN LLC
Price: $10.34
10 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak signal, January 4, 2014
I've bought this one to connect a Raspberry Pi to the internet. Had a few issues, such as:

- The adapter would not stay connected for more than a few minutes;
- The signal was too weak (at 3ft from the router);
- It seemed to pick up interference from the wireless keyboard (not confirmed).

I switched from channel 13 to a lower channel in my router and got a better (but still not very good) signal. The connection drops seemed to be related to the USB hub, had to use the USB port in the Pi itself. After that I got a more stable connection.

Other than that, it worked in Raspbian, Openelec, and Windows 8. Plug-and-play. Seems to be a good adapter, as long as you don't go too far from your router.

It also heats up a lot. Not sure if it's a problem, but surely seems like a waste of energy.

[EDIT] Well... after some more tests, I decided to take another star off. The adapter is good enough for browsing the web, but not for media streaming. Some files will stream reasonably well but stutter occasionally. Higher bitrate files will just keep stuttering all the time. The adapter and the router are in adjacent rooms, I would expect a better connection. Back to wired for now...

Tmvel ETOA 8 PCS European to USA American Outlet Plug Adapter
Tmvel ETOA 8 PCS European to USA American Outlet Plug Adapter
Price: $7.15
7 used & new from $5.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally out of standard, December 26, 2013
As others said, the blades on the 'USA' side are too thin and make the plug slip out of the socket very easily, depending on the socket (in some sockets the plug won't make contact at all).

The 'European' side is just as bad - prongs in (most) European plugs are 18~19mm apart, while the ones in American plugs are 12.7mm (0.5in) apart. The wipers inside the adapter are aligned with the 'USA' prongs, so they are too close to each other, making it hard to insert an European plug. The adapters can be easily dissassembled, so I opened up each one and bent the wipers a little bit, but they still won't fit tight as they should.

I won't trust these to connect any appliance that draws more than 1 or 2A, I believe there's a huge risk of overheating.

Thick As a Brick, 40th Anniversary Special Edition
Thick As a Brick, 40th Anniversary Special Edition
3 used & new from $67.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for fans, May 25, 2013
The music in this album is simply fantastic. No doubt. However, if you've never listened to Jethro Tull, I'd say this is not the right place to start.

On the other hand, if you're already a fan, then I'm sure you have already listened to Thick As A Brick, and I don't need to explain to you that the album is fantastic. You probably have an older edition, like me. So why would we buy another edition?

In my case, one of the reasons is the complete newspaper edition. Although it has been once again re-formatted, it seems that the whole contents are here (spanning over 40 pages). Years ago I passed on an opportunity to purchase a special edition that also had it, because it was incredibly expensive (like 5x the average price of a CD) and because I already had another edition (with 4 pages only). This time I went for it - still expensive, but there are some compensations.

On top of the newspaper, I got a nice supplement with several pictures, and a lot to read. I guess any fan will appreciate it.

And finally, besides the CD, I got a DVD with four different mixes of the entire album, which is more interesting than I expected. Note: although the text on the CD cover says "in the form of a CD and an Audio DVD", it's a regular DVD. To be more precise, it's a DVD-Video, not a DVD-Audio. That's probably why some people are having trouble playing it in certain players.

As for the audio, I'm no audiophile like Mr. Bruce in Philly, but I do have a better-than-average stereo system and I'll beg to differ with him. I may agree that the sound is a bit too bright, or, the way I see it, that it lacks bass. But I don't think it's really bad, and it definitely doesn't make me annoyed or angry - in fact, I found it quite enjoyable. Also, when compared to so many other "remasters" that are nothing but a louder and overly compressed versions of the originals, this one is actually very good. Speaking of compression... I didn't notice any excess of compression in the entire piece.

The DVD contains the new mix in 96/24 PCM, which also sounds good to me, and the original mix from 1972 - a flat transfer, so they say. And a couple of 5.1 mixes, one in DTS, one in DD. I only listened to the DTS track, and I must say it was fun - again, beyond my expectations. Definitely a nice bonus. I have "full-size" surround speakers (bookshelves, not satellites), I guess they help a lot. I'm not sure if tiny satellite speakers will produce the same effect.

A couple of nuisances: first, as other reviewers said, the final "yeah" from Ian Anderson is missing in the stereo tracks (both in the CD and in the DVD). It is present in the 5.1 tracks, though. But it's hard to understand how such a slip can happen, I mean, this is obviously an edition aimed at hardcore fans, don't they know any hardcore fan will complain about it?

Second: although the packaging looks great, and the discs are well protected, they chose to use that kind of case in which one disc partially covers the other, which means you have to take out the one in the front if you want to reach the one in the back, which means you need two hands for the discs, and another hand to hold the case, and... you got the picture. In other words, not a very good choice in my opinion. But I can live with it.

Third: the case is covered with paper. In the back there's a nice artwork, with some credits, track descriptions, etc., all laid over a black-and-white picture of the band leaning against a brick wall. And someone had the brilliant idea of sticking a white barcode sticker to it. It's a regular paper sticker, that will either rip off the paper below it or leave a nasty layer of adhesive if I try to remove it. Quite annoying. I believe it's not Amazon's fault, because the case was sealed in clear plastic (after the sticker was put on).

My verdict: even with a few little flaws, I surely recommend this edition to any fan of the band.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 2:16 PM PST

Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Price: $11.99
24 used & new from $7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, February 15, 2013
There's not much to say about a vehicle charger. I like it because it works and it's stylish, and the blue light looks great, especially at night. The coiled cable is convenient too.

I'm taking one star from it because the "window" was loose and made an annoying noise when the car was in motion. I fixed that with a few drops of glue.

Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0 to 2.5"/3.5" SATA Hard Drive Docking Station - Supports 3TB+ Hard Drives
Offered by Cable Matters
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and fast - Update: they've changed to a different unit, February 15, 2013
Works fine with a new hard drive. As my first USB 3.0 device, I'm obviously surprised with the speed. I've been using it for two weeks now.

Two little glitches:

1) With an older drive (from around 2006-07), I had some write errors while writing several small files (big files seem to be written with no issues). Note: The drive works fine when connected straight to a SATA port in the motherboard.

2) The dock is a big dust collector, I'd like to have a cover of some kind - will have to improvise.

So, one less star for those. Also, I'd rather have the power switch on the front. But I'm glad that it does have a power switch, and it's not so hard to find by touch anyway.

The cable is not very long (3 ft), but it's acceptable. Design (meaning, aesthetics) is not really important for me in a hard drive dock, but this one happens to look cool as well. There's a white model if you prefer. The plastic it's made of seems to be appropriate for regular use, but probably won't stand a fall from a desk, especially if adding the weight of a hard disk. However, for the price and purpose, I believe it's also acceptable.

Update (11/14/2013): The unit I've bought is different from the one being offered now. The one I have looks exactly like the Plugable docking station (B003UI62AG), except for the black finishing.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great clock, September 23, 2011
I'm glad I've bought this clock. A little pricey, but well worth it for me.

Pros:

- G-Shock-ish look that I love (also reminds me of a TIE fighter from Star Wars...).
- Big display that I can easily read from 10ft away.
- Quite loud alarm. I've had trouble with other clocks before, which sounded too low.
- Snooze function that works as it should, with a big button on the top.
- Decent backlighting, easy to use - a quick press on the button, and it will stay on for 3 or 4 seconds, and then fade out.
- A great little feature: if you turn on the backlight and adjust the alarm, backlight stays on until you release the adjusting buttons (and a couple more seconds). Smart!
- Runs on standard AA batteries.
- Double-slanted base (this is great!), allows me to put it on my shelf, which is above my bed, but facing slightly downwards, so that I can read it while lying on the bed.

In addition, it offers a calendar and a thermometer.

Cons:

- The thermometer seems to be off, maybe by a little more than the 2 degrees the manual mentions as the tolerance. I don't have a mercury thermometer at home to compare it against, though. So, I'm not absolutely sure - I just know it always seems to say I shouldn't be feeling so cold... By the way, it only shows the temperature in degrees Celsius.
- Setting the alarm can be annoying if you need to make frequent big changes, as it doesn't have separate hour and minute adjusting buttons (it does go forwards and backwards, though).
- A little larger than I expected - but it was my fault not to check the dimensions before buying it. Anyway, it is larger than most battery-fed clocks that I've seen.

For Casio Exilim 3.7 Lithium-Ion NP-20 BATTERY + CHARGER
For Casio Exilim 3.7 Lithium-Ion NP-20 BATTERY + CHARGER

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery doesn't stay in charger, April 13, 2010
The charger itself does not seem to be bad, except that it could be smaller. However, the battery has a slippery plastic wrapping that prevents it from staying in the charger - I have to put a rubber band around it to hold the battery. A quick and simple test at the factory would have revealed that problem. It's cheap, but quality is disappointing.

Keyspan by Tripp Lite PR-PRO3 Presentation Remote Pro Wireless w Laser, Mouse, Audio Controls
Price: $54.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, October 13, 2009
I've bought this mainly to remotely control the media players in my PC. It works really well, even from the next room, where the TV is (I ran a VGA cable through the wall to connect the PC to the TV). With some software (e.g., Auto Hot Keys), I can change the remote's keys into whatever keystrokes I want, and so control virtually any media player that has a decent set of keyboard shortcuts. For example, on Zoom Player I can play/pause, fast forward, fast rewind, change subtitles, skip to next or previous chapter. On WinDVD I can play/pause, fast forward, fast rewind, skip to next or previous chapter, and navigate in menus.
It's light and small - but not too small. I've been using it for a year and a half, once a week or so (veeeery light use), and it still has the original batteries inside.
Besides all that, it can also work as a presentation remote...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3