Profile for Reviewer"Lynn" > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 255

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviewer"Lynn" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nothing to Hide (A Roland March Mystery)
Nothing to Hide (A Roland March Mystery)
by J. Mark Bertrand
Price: $14.99
84 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enticing Mystery, August 11, 2012
Nothing To Hide (A Roland March Mystery)
J.Mark Bertrand
Bethany House
Fiction Suspense
July 1 2012
4 Stars

Nothing To Hide is the third book written by Mark Bertrand in the Roland March series. This is not the first book that I have read dealing with the character Roland March and like the others I found this one to be quite interesting once I get into it. Seems to me they are always slow to get into at the beginning and then it picks up and gets hard to put down.
When Detective Roland March is called to the scene of a grisly murder he finds a corpse with the head missing and the hands skinned so as not to be able to identify. The way the hand is pointing leads Rolandto wonder is that the way the killer fled or did the killer place it that way on purpose? It is for sure that the body was placed there after the killing. When they discover who the person is it now looks like Roland is going to be dealing with the Mexican Cartels and the illegal gun trades. As Roland lands in Mexico the reader is taken on many twist and turns as he tries to solve the mystery

I enjoy a good mystery that is cleanly written but has a lot of suspense to it and the author Mark Bertrand always seems to fit the bill. He always seems to write in some engaging characters that keep the reader interested. I find his books to be deeply intellectually written more than the common mystery. Although Christian based it is not what one would say is a Biblically preached Christian fiction.
As I stated at the beginning it was a little slow for me to start, others may not find this to be so.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House. A positive review was not required and thought expressed here are my own.

by Donna VanLiere
Price: $22.46
151 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome book by Donna VanLiere, July 3, 2012
This review is from: The Good Dream (Hardcover)
Donna VanLiere
St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: July 3, 2012
Fiction
5 Stars

Known best for her Christmas Hope Series Donna VanLiere proves that Holidays are not the only time of the year in which people can not only experience hope joy and love in their life. In her newest full length novel Ms. VanLiere takes us back once more to Morgan Hill Tennessee, back to a time and place that is between the past and the present.

The Good Dream is the story of two individuals who meet in an unexpected way. Ivorie Walker is destined it seems to become an old maid. As the years have passed her by now in her early thirties she still lives with her mother and works in the school library. As her mother tries to play matchmaker with every eligible bachelor in town Ivorie just keeps putting her off till she suddenly finds herself alone after her mother dies. The Boy only knows one thing how to survive the best way he knows how, by raiding Ivories garden. Not only has he been physically and mentally abused, this feral boy from the hills cannot talk. When Ivorie finally meets up with the boy she rescue's him from a fate worse than death. Now not only are the town's people against her but also her new beau. As she works with the boy she finally learns his name and it fits him well. As their relationship grows so does trouble on the home front.

This is just a small touch of what this story is about. Ms.VanLiere takes the reader on a journey of one woman's love and determination to save the life of one little boy, the sacrifices she makes in her own life and the amazing results at the end. I laughed, got upset and cried as I read this book. The book goes to prove that there is power in strength, courage and love, and that alone can change the life of anyone.
Out of all of Donna VanLieres books it would be hard for me to really pick a favorite but The Good Dream is right up at the top

I was one of the 500 chosen for the Dream Team to read the Advanced Readers Edition. A positive review was not required and all opinions and ratings associated with my review are strictly my own thoughts about the book.

Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy)
Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy)
by Maureen Lang
Price: $11.61
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a new series, June 26, 2012
Bees in the Butterfly Garden (Book 1 The Gilded Legacy)
Maureen Lang
Christian Fictional Historical Romance
June 22. 2012
Tyndale Publishing
5 Stars

A bee in the Butterfly Garden is book one in Maureen Lang's series The Gilded Legacy. 1883, Connecticut, Meg Davenport gets a letter at the exclusive boarding school she has been at most of her young life. She learns her father has passed away, a father she has never known and who she feels like has never loved her. Sure he could afford to keep her in the school but isn't family more important? that is until she finally learns the truth about her father and meets up with some of his friends. As the old saying goes once a thief, always a thief. Now that she knows about her father, Meg is determined to become like him even with all his friends trying to talk her out of it. She soon learns that thievery does not always follow family lines and it's not as easy as she thinks.

I have read several of Ms. Lang's books before so I knew that I would not be disappointed. I feel the book started a little slow for me but then it picked up and towards the end I couldn't read fast enough to see what was going to happen. A Christian based book it teaches a lesson without getting overly preachy. I really enjoyed the different characters throughout but Meg at times I wanted to shake some sense into her. She seemed a little spoiled and was going to do things her way no matter what, just to prove she could. If you like a good clean written story with a little touch of suspense and humor and Christian values then I feel you will enjoy this newest series.

I received this complimentary copy from the publisher. A positive review was not required and the opinions expressed in this review are strictly my own.

Unstuck: Your Life. God's Design. Real Change.
Unstuck: Your Life. God's Design. Real Change.
by Michael Ross
53 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Unstuck and Growing in Your Christian Walk, June 13, 2012
Unstuck
(Your Life. Gods Design. Real Change.)
Arnie Cole & Michael Ross
Christian Life
c. 2012
Bethany House Publishers
4 Stars

Have you ever felt like your Christian Life is drained? Do you neglect reading your bible daily or does your prayer life seem stale? Most everyone, no matter how long they have been a Christian finds their self in a slump, now and then or finds their self slipping back into sin. So how does one go about getting their life unstuck? That's what the authors of this book are going to show you and help you with. Most people own at least one Bible but chances are they own more than three, which sit around gathering dust. Being one of the highest selling books it is the least read. Is there a reason that we own so many Bibles? Could it be we think we will read or study more if we have a different interpretation or a better study bible? Through the stories of others and the two authors you may find yourself in at least one of the episodes. I know I did for myself.

When I started to read after the first few pages I thought to myself I have been in that exact situation and my marker came out. With scripture and online help you will soon find yourself unstuck from the situation you were stuck in.

I received this complimentary copy from Bethany Publishers. A positive review was not required and the opinions express in this review are strictly my own

Horses Who Eat Potatoes: And Other Stories of "The Other Family Doctor"
Horses Who Eat Potatoes: And Other Stories of "The Other Family Doctor"
by Corry D. V. M. Key
Price: $24.95
29 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Abook that will bring tears and laughter, April 13, 2012
Horses Who Eat Potatoes "and other short stories of"
The Other Family Doctor
Corry Key D.V.M.
Publish America
C. 2011
5 stars

I can remember as a child like the author I always had a love for animals and wanted to be a veterinarian. Well my dream did not come true but for the Corry Key it did. With a love for horses she not only fulfilled her dream of being a DVM but also a Judge for the Arabian Horses.

As I read this book it brought back many memories of my own past pets. Those I have loved and lost, those that have gone over the Rainbow Bridge as late as 3 months ago. I laughed at some of the episodes, of neutering a possum, trying to break her own stallion, but also had many tears throughout. Especially when her first horse dies in her arms, the horror of puppy mill dogs and the lives they lived.

When I started to read this book I could not put it down. Some will enjoy it some will devour it and others will be so so. If you do not have a love for animals then more than likely you will read it just as a book. For those of us that have had to deal with veterinarians with our animals like myself we understand what they go through to try and save a life of an animal, how it hurts them as much as it does you to have to put one down, how they have to put up with owners who could care less about their dog or cat but want them healed for as little as possible.

This is a small book with short chapters along with a little history of Corry's life that can be read in an evening. After reading this, one should have more respect for "The Other Family Doctor" because after all pets are like family.

SECRETS FROM THE DUST
SECRETS FROM THE DUST
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, March 30, 2012
Between 1910 and 1969 there was in Australia what was known as The Stolen Generation.Children of mixed heritage of the Aboriginal tribes were forcefully abducted from the parents. Taken to orphanages or church missions and made wards of the state, they were adopted out and their families never seen them again. Secrets From The Dust is the story of one girl and her life and although a fictional story,depicts that time. Renamed Margaret,she was better known to the tribe as Snake -Woman- Child. Although her father located here he was unable to get her back away from the mission. Margaret fared better than most as the family that adopted her believed in getting her an education. Beginning to enjoy living in the ways of the white society she continues her education in Sydney to become a nurse but eventually through the years she has to come to terms of her true identity and culture in which she was raised.

This book was very hard to put down once I got started reading. Although as I stated this being a fictional story it represents the aboriginals were treated.This book is very well written and the characters are so easy to become connected with.I feel like this book will be enjoyed by many.

by Lisa Wingate
Price: $13.00
129 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Blue Moon Bay (Paperback)
Lisa Wingate
Bethany House
Contemporary Fiction
Feb 1 2012
4 Stars

First I have to say this is the first book that I have read of Lisa Wingate's so I cannot in good faith compare it to any of her other books.
The story revolves around Heather Hampton who has accomplished much in her life. When she left Moses Lake Texas and settles in Seattle Washington she accomplished what she set out to do and that was to become a successful architect. But like all good plans in life there is always someone in the shadows ready to tear them apart. With no desire to return to her home town her family is calling her back. There are too many bad memories back home and Heather is just going back to talk them into selling the family farm, but they have other plans and they are not including Heather in them.
As the mystery deepens and things point to her father's suicide years earlier she also feels like she is being followed and now she is wondering what is really going on in this town. Can she find the truth before something happens and ruins her own security?

This was an interesting thriller with a romantic touch to it. I felt it started a little slow but then I got into the book and felt it had a great ending. According to the front of the book this was the second in the Moses Lake Series. I do not know if I missed anything but I felt like the book could be read as a stand-alone. I felt like the book was a worthy read without having any others to compare it with, I will look into reading more of her books.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review from Bethany House Publishers. A positive review was not required and the opinions expressed here are my own.

by Tom Pawlik
Price: $11.45
70 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Spine Tingling Thriller, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Beckon (Paperback)
Tom Pawlik
Tyndall Publisher
Christian Fiction; Suspense
March 16, 2012
5 Stars

What would you give if you knew you could live forever? Your life savings; your family; your soul? If you knew that you would stay forever young, free from illness, free from death would you do it? Welcome to Beckon Wyoming, where no one is here by chance, a town where evil lies hidden beneath the mountains, waiting to be unleashed.
Three people are lured to this small town for a different reason, Jack Kendrick in search of his father that disappeared 12 years earlier, Police Officer Elina Gutierrez who is searching for her cousin who was lured there with a job prospect and George Wilcox who was promised they could cure his wife of Alzheimer's. They soon learned that once in the clutches of this town and the inhabitants there was no leaving short of death. Who will make it out and who will meet their doom?

The book written in four parts as so to keep up with what each person is doing. Each part is focused on the separate individuals, Jack, Elina and George and the forth pitting them all together. The end of each part leaves you in suspense wondering what will happen next. This is the first book that I have read of Tom Pawlik's and for one that likes a good clean written suspense filled book, the description just seem to fit the bill. Once started I read the entire book in two sittings because it was that hard to put down. It is one of those books that you can visualize what is happening as you read, as if you are there in the midst of all that is going on. While being Christian based it is not a preachy book as some are, it's more about having faith in the face of adversity. If you are one that enjoys a cleanly written suspense book then I highly recommend Beckon. Like the town, once into the book you are captured till the end.

I received this complimentary copy from Tyndall Publishers. A positive review was not required and all opinions expressed here are my own.

Angels Are for Real: Inspiring, True Stories and Biblical Answers

Chosen-A division of Baker Publishing Group
Feb 1 2012
Christian Living; Non Fiction; Inspirational
4 Stars

Anybody whether they are a Christian or not have always believed in Angels.
Christians have always known that they have played a very important part in God's plan since before creation. There are different types of Angels that have a different role in the kingdom of God. From the Guardian Angel to the Seraphim, Cherubim to Archangels and many more and they all have a part to play: from guarding the throne, praising God, protecting us from evil and taking us home at death.
Today many people really do not think much about Angels but they are ever present. The author does a great job of explaining their existence and what they are like, even to the fallen angels that are from Satan.

I have always believed in Angels and myself have had what I would consider an account with Angels. I know that all things are possible with God and he sends his messengers forth throughout the land. I did have a problem with some parts of the book. The book has actual accounts of encounters with Angels and I do believe that God still heals today if we really exercise our faith. I have seen so many false healers in this world today and people that fall for them, that it is hard for me to believe some of the accounts of healing in the book. I don't doubt God in the least and I know that he also gave power to others but one wonders today with all the false prophets running around what is real and what is false.

This is just my view of certain parts of the book. Everybody will have a different perspective of what they read and I always encourage others to read and study form their own opinion and not go by my thoughts when it comes to a biblical subject matter. As far as the book dealing with the Angels that part was very interesting and accurate. And most of the stories I could actually see happening. I think most readers will enjoy this book

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Bethany in exchange for my review. A positive review was not required and the opinions expressed here is entirely my own.

In Leah's Wake
In Leah's Wake
by Terri Giuliano Long
38 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engaging Story, March 1, 2012
This review is from: In Leah's Wake (Paperback)
5 Stars

In Leah's Wake by Terri Giuliano Long is a deeply written novel that happens more often than one can guess in many families today. Raising teenagers in today's world can get out of hand what with peer pressure, feeling left out if they don't flow with the crowd. Even kids from a good family can go wrong.

Leah's Wake in a nut shell is a story of such a family, a story about a man and his wife trying to raise their two daughters. The father Will Tyler has a job that takes him out of town for a few weeks at a time and Zoe Tyler is a family counselor. Justine the youngest daughter is a straight "A" honor student and Leah is looking to be one of the greatest soccer players. That is until Leah goes what one would consider off the deep end. This in turn plays havoc with the family. Will and Zoe have tried to give their girls the best of everything, a good home a secure family, a good education so where did they fail? Perhaps if Will had been home more during the teenage growing up years or if Zoe had taken a little more time and eased some of her patient load to be with the girls after school things would have been better. As Justine begins to fail in school Leah continues with her transformation.

If reading this book takes one back to raising their own children they wonder! Did we really worry about the drug situation, teenage sex, them running off? We always thought our child would never be a problem . This is exactly what Will and Zoe thought. They did not realize when their daughters were younger the trouble they would have later on as they grew.

I really enjoyed this book and I do have to say if you are looking for a feel good, everything will be all right book then you will probably not enjoy this story. But if you read this book with the realization that this is what is happening in our world today you will think second thoughts on your own parenting. In the back of the book there are some great discussion topics that I feel will help you after you have read the book. For example how do parents prevent children from falling under the influence of the wrong people? What might cause a seemingly "perfect" child to rebel? This book shows just what tragedy can happen even to a secure family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20