Profile for JonQ York > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 86

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JonQ York RSS Feed (New York, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Fox News
Fox News
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars No Paws, February 21, 2015
This review is from: Fox News (App)
Terrible. No ability to pause for rewind or fast-forward. That should be standard in any internet-based TV app.

Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 Wireless Hi-Fi Earbud Headphones with Charging Case - Compatible with iPhone, iPad, Android, and Other Leading Smart Devices - Black
Price: Click here to see our price
110 used & new from $44.95

1.0 out of 5 stars These Headphones Could Kill Your Babies (Seriously), December 18, 2014
These are the absolute worst headphones I've ever had in my life. So let me quickly cover the one good point and then skip to all the bad points. The one good point is that the sound quality is fine.

Unfortunately good sound quality does nothing for you with headphones that won't stay on. I don't know what Plantronics was thinking when they made these but they're just absolutely awful. There is nothing to hold them in your ears. They expect you to shove the earbud into your ear and by some kind of magic I guess, they expect them to stay in. But they don't stay in. It's like shoving an icicle into your ear - they slip out as quickly as you can put them in. And if you shove too hard, which you'll definitely be sorely tempted to do - it could damage your eardrum.

I had planned to use them while driving. But today I discovered some unfortunate things. Basically, if you move your head, they will fall off. If you turn your head to look in the rear view mirror, they will fall off. I found myself actually not looking in the mirror as much as I should because I didn't want them to fall off. That could cause an accident... and it could kill your baby, if you happen to have one on board. I know that's strong language, but it's seriously true. Don't get these if you have kids and plan on using them while you drive.

Here are some of the things that will cause them to fall off your head... If you put on a coat while wearing them, they will fall off. If you take your coat off, they will definitely fall off. If your sweetheart kisses you on the cheek, they will surely fall off. If you are in the grocery store with a shopping cart, the vibration of the cart will cause them to fall off. If you're not pushing a cart, the vibration from your walking will cause them to fall off. Yes, it's true, if you walk with these on - they will fall off. If you start a fire in your fireplace, they will fall off. If you reach for something with your arm, they will fall off. If you throw a snowball they will definitely fall off! If you put food in your mouth while wearing them, they will fall off. If you chew gum, they will fall off. If you turn your head to the left or right, or up and down, they will definitely fall off.

It's truly unbelievable to me that a company thought these were a good idea. Not only will they fall off no matter what you do, but if you put them snugly in your ear, they act as sound suppressors and you can't hear anyone near you talking. So if you want to listen to some music or some talk radio but you still want to hear someone nearby who may want to talk to you - you won't be able to. And you'll start screaming at them, because you can't hear yourself talk.

Bottom line: THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY AWFUL! But you should go ahead and buy a pair anyway, then return it the next day. Maybe if Plantronics gets enough returns they and Amazon will realize what a disaster these are.

Turcom 5 Watt Enhanced Bass Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Latest Bluetooth Technology, 8-12 Hour Playtime - Retail Packaging - Titanium Grey
Offered by Value Max
Price: $49.99
4 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Was Looking For!, October 14, 2014
I was looking for something that I could put on my nightstand so I could get rid of the gigantic old-style clock radio that had been there for decades. I just wanted something to free up that space and I realized with smartphones today you don't really need a clock radio anymore. All you need is a speaker that you can listen to as you fall off to sleep.

Before purchasing this I had purchased another speaker (that was much larger, although smaller than the clock radio), the problem with it was that it would constantly beep when it was connecting to the phone via bluetooth. And apparently it would lose the connection every so often and beep very loudly as it reconnected. In other words, it would wake me up 2-3 times a night. VERY ANNOYING!

When I received this speaker from Amazon I first loved how small it was! Because it frees up pretty much all the space on my nightstand. In fact, I don't even have to put it on the nightstand. I can put it on the dresser across the room and still hear it just fine as I go to sleep.

The sound is amazing for its size. And it has plenty of volume to make it possible to put it anywhere in the room where you are and hear it.

At first I didn't like the fact that it had to be plugged into a USB connector, as I don't have one of those next to my bed. I guess I could have one easily enough, but I don't. But once the battery is charged it'll last for days before it needs a recharge. So that turned out not to be a problem.

Because of its small size it's very easy to pick it up and take it with you to the next room. The speakers I bought prior to this while smaller than a clock radio were big enough that you didn't want to pick them up and move them around. So the fact I can just pick this little cube up and take it with me is awesome. And I find myself doing more and more often. It now goes into the shower with me so I can listen to music or podcasts while I shower. I also take it into the kitchen so I can listen there as well. And that has allowed me to get rid of the clock radio in the kitchen freeing up a little more counter space there too!

Due to my experience with the previous speakers, I LOVE that this one NEVER beeps again after it connects the first time. It's rock solid in that respect.

There is one thing that annoys me about it and that is if you end the bluetooth connection between it and your phone, it will shut off after a few minutes. I wish it would just stay on so I could reconnect my phone without having to pick it up and turn it upside down and hit the on/off switch. That gets old after a while. Plus, sometimes it's across the room from where I actually am so I have to actually get up and walk over to it.

The other kind of quirky thing about it is that all the switches are on the bottom of it. I guess that allows them to give it its beautiful clean appearance, but it's a little weird. Although it's so small and light it's not really a problem to pick it up and turn it over. It's just like a large ice cube - with sound! But once it shuts off, the on/off switch is still in the on position, so when you want to turn it back on you have to slide the switch twice, once to off and then once again back to on. It's a little bit of work and it could all be avoided if they'd just let the thing keep running until you physically turn it off.

But on the whole I'm very, very happy with this and have really enjoyed having it.

iLuv MobiAir Bluetooth Stereo Speaker Dock for Smartphones with Micro-USB Charging (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Just Right!
Price: $39.99
18 used & new from $25.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a SLEEP REDUCER!, September 11, 2014
It finally dawned on me that in the age of smartphones you don't really need a clock-radio next to your bed anymore! And my clock-radio was taking way too much space on my night stand. So I decided to give this a try. (Now, if only I could get my smartphone screen to stay on all night so I could actually see the clock)!

The good news is that this does take up much less room than the typical clock-radio and I was very happy to have the extra space next to my bed. But that's about the end of the good news.

The bad news is that when it connects via bluetooth it makes a terribly loud beeping noise. And the worse news is that sometimes an hour or several hours later (when you're sleeping soundly) the beeping pipes up and will wake you up! It's absolutely maddening and this is the reason for my 1-star review. It has woken me up at least once every single night since I got it and sometimes two or three times. And even more maddening, when it does wake me up I hit the Off button on the unit and it doesn't turn it off! So I have to actually unplug it. And after all that, I've worked myself up into such a tizzy I can't go back to sleep!! So if you're looking for something to help you reduce the number of hours you sleep each night - you've come to the right place!

Other very annoying features:

1. Once your phone is connected to the unit via bluetooth, everything is fine. The speakers are really decent with talking but not so great with music. Music will sound like it's coming out of a cheap $15 Radio Shack speaker. But when you disconnect your phone from the unit's bluetooth, like I do often so I can connect to my bluetooth headset for a phone call, the unit will shut completely off after a few minutes. And if you want to re-connect later, you have to get up, walk across the room and turn it back on. VERY ANNOYING! And every time you turn it on it will result in several of the very loud beeps again, which will greatly annoy anyone else who may be in your general vicinity. Personally, I think it should stay on all the time until you physically hit the Off switch. (I'm not really worried about the 15 cents or so that it might cost in monthly electricity so I'm not sure why they've decided it's best for us to have it shut off all the time).

2. There is only one very small light on the front of the unit and when nothing is connected to it via bluetooth it's always off, so it's very difficult to tell if the unit is on or off or even if it's plugged in. The light is hardly visible and the buttons aren't lit either. So at night it's impossible to know where the buttons are or which one you're hitting.

3. Using it for Phone Calls - is terrible. The mic on it is awful. No one can hear you and you have to be seated directly in front of the unit. (Something that's not very convenient when it's on the nightstand next to your bed - unless you want to lay in bed every time you talk on the phone)!

It would be great if you could use the speakers for phone calls but also choose to use the mic on your phone instead of the unit's terrible mic. That way you could walk around the room while you're talking. The speaker is actually excellent for listening to phone calls, so it's a real shame that the cheapo mic makes it impossible to use for phone conversations.

The mic picks up every little background sound and magnifies them to the point that whoever you're talking to will start screaming for you to take them off this device! Everyone I've spoken to has demanded that I get off of it immediately! They say they can't hear me for all the background noise that drowns out my voice. So at that point I'll switch to my bluetooth headset and everything is fine. Why they don't at least give you a choice to disable the mic and use your phone mic instead, I have no idea.

4. The arms that hold the phone in place are not that tight and don't really hold the phone all that securely. But that's probably okay since you probably won't be using this in your car.

One other note, I've seen some people say here that the charger isn't compatible with the Galaxy S5, but I just want to confirm that it is indeed compatible. Although I don't use it because I have an extra battery pack on my phone that makes it a little thicker than usual, so it doesn't fit well. I just plug my regular charging wire into it and use the unit via bluetooth.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2015 1:58 PM PST

Duracell AA NiMH rechargeable blister pack, 4 per pkg. 2450mAh
Duracell AA NiMH rechargeable blister pack, 4 per pkg. 2450mAh
Offered by THE DEAL STATION
Price: $13.85
8 used & new from $11.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow! They Last a Couple of Weeks on Low Power Usage on a Single Charge!, August 16, 2014
Very disappointed with these. They claim to be "low self-discharge". But if these are "low" I would sure hate to see "high" or "normal"!

I use these only in very low-power devices. Such as in this LCD temperature display screen: http://www.amazon.com/Meade-TM005X-M-Wireless-Outdoor-Hygrometer/dp/B004I08CEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408225176&sr=8-1&keywords=meade+instruments+temperature

With regular non-rechargeable batteries, this screen will run for about seven months before the numbers start to go dim. But with these Duracell rechargeables, I can only run it for a couple of weeks before the screen starts to dim. These rechargeables are so disappointing that I think it would almost be cheaper to just keep buying non-rechargeables. And when you consider all the work and effort you have to put into this - re-charging every couple of weeks... I just don't see how they're worth the price.

In fact, I just did a calculation. You're paying $3 per battery. You can buy regular batteries for around $0.50 a piece. I just saw some Duracells on Amazon, a 40-pack that came to $0.46 per battery.

That means you're paying 6.52 times more per battery here than for standard non-rechargeable batteries.

My regular batteries will run this LCD screen for about seven months. So in order for these batteries to pay off, they would have to last longer than 6.52 times longer than 7 months, or 46 months or nearly 4 years! And I can tell you - fat chance they're going to last even half that long!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2014 11:01 AM PST

Rayovac PS332-4B LCD Smart Charger with 4 AA Nimh Low Self-Discharge Batteries
Rayovac PS332-4B LCD Smart Charger with 4 AA Nimh Low Self-Discharge Batteries
Price: $17.97
24 used & new from $14.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Loses Charge Much Faster than Non-Rechargeables, August 16, 2014

With regular non-rechargeable batteries, this screen will run for months before the numbers start to go dim. But with the Rayovac rechargeables, I can only run it for a couple of weeks before the screen starts to dim. These rechargeables are so disappointing that I think it would almost be cheaper to just keep buying non-rechargeables. And when you consider all the work and effort you have to put into this - re-charging every couple of weeks... I just don't see how they're worth the price.

In fact, I just did a calculation. You're basically paying $30 here for four batteries (the true cost of the charger is negligible and this charger is very highly overpriced). You can buy regular batteries for around $0.50 a piece. I just saw some Duracells on Amazon, a 40-pack that came to $0.46 per battery.

So let's say the actual manufacturing cost of the charger is $5.00. That means you're paying $6.25 per battery here. Or 13.58 times the price of standard non-rechargeable batteries.

My regular batteries will run this LCD screen for about seven months. So in order for these batteries to pay off, they would have to last longer than 13.58 times longer than 7 months, or 95 months or 8 years! And I can tell you - fat chance they're going to last even half that amount of time!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2015 4:00 PM PDT

Travelon 3 - Speed Personal Folding Fan
Travelon 3 - Speed Personal Folding Fan
Offered by TradingBuzz
Price: $11.30
10 used & new from $10.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Some Reviews Led Me to Believe, August 16, 2014
Some of the reviews almost scared me off from buying this little handheld fan. But all the other handheld fans had negative reviews too, so I decided to give it a try.

It turns out it has actually lasted for a couple of months so far of very heavy use! We've been using it a couple of hours a day for about two and a half months now. There have been a couple of times where the switch seemed like it wasn't going to work. So maybe it is a bit flaky. But, so far we've always been able to get it to work.

The thing we've been very happy about is that one set of rechargeable batteries lasts a really long time! We can get 4-5 days at 1-2 hours a day on a set of rechargeables. Which is very cool!

Zebra Eco Zebrite Double-Ended Highlighters, Fine Point and Medium Chisel Tip, 5 Assorted Colors, 5 Pack ( 75005)
Price: $3.99
15 used & new from $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars They Bleed Terribly with my Bible, August 16, 2014
I know the company didn't promise these wouldn't bleed through on Bible pages, but I went by the other reviews that said they didn't. So, I don't know if maybe my pages are just thinner than most Bibles or what but these bled through so terribly I wasn't able to use them for that purpose. I'm using the NLT study Bible which is a huge book so the pages are very thin and maybe that's the problem. But, these markers definitely don't work with it!

But they are excellent with normal books. And that's what I've been using them for since.

Car Mount, iOttie Easy One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Amazon Fire Phone and iPhone 6 Plus (5.5), Galaxy S5/S4/Note4/Note3
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $13.45

4.0 out of 5 stars The Holding Arms Aren't as Long as they Look, August 16, 2014
I was a little disappointed in this holder because the photos show it with what appear to be arms that can handle a Galaxy S5 that is a good deal thicker than the phone is out of the box.

I have an extra battery pack in my phone so the phone is a little bit thicker than the original phone. As far as battery packs go, this one is on the thin side, so I thought the arms on this holder could easily handle it - at least judging by the photographs.

But I was wrong. The arms were almost long enough but not quite. Literally missing the mark only by a few millimeters.

I ended up buying their newer version of this model, the iOttie Easy One Touch 2, which did do the trick, even though it’s arms aren't long enough either. But they're padded with rubber which is just sticky enough so all it has to do is touch the sides of the phone at any point in order to hold it securely.

I didn't return this holder though because I realized it would make the perfect holder for my office desk! If you have a Galaxy S5 and you're not using any kind of additional phone case or battery pack, this is an excellent holder. I just wish the reality of the arm length was a little more in line with the photos!

iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/ Plus (5.5)/ 5s/ 5c/, Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge/ S5/S4/ S3/ Note 4/3, Google Nexus 5/4, LG G3-Retail Pack
Price: $24.95
20 used & new from $19.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone Holder - But a Little Bouncy on the Road, August 16, 2014
I had originally bought their earlier model for the Galaxy S5 the "iOttie One Touch XL". I have an extra battery pack on my phone so it's a little thicker than the phone is out of the box. Their previous model wasn't able to handle this extra thickness. But this one handles it okay because its arms have some type of rubber padding on them so as long as they can touch the side of the phone at some point they'll pretty much hold it securely.

This works fine on the dashboard even though the dash isn't a smooth surface. Their sticky suction cup though holds it very well there. But I ended up sticking it to the windshield instead where it also is extremely secure. In either spot it doesn't seem that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

The only complaint I have with it is it bounces around a lot when you're driving. I don't know if there's any way to fix that on these things, but you have to be on a really smooth stretch of road or stopped completely in order to read anything or touch anything on the screen.

The extension arm is a cool little gimmick. Although after trying it I realized it doesn't really matter to me if I can get the phone a couple of inches closer to my face or not. And when the arm is extended it bounces around even more. So I'm not using that feature.

It has several joints where you can precisely adjust the position and angle of the phone and then tighten the screws to hold it in place. This is very helpful and makes it possible to get the phone into exactly the right position. I only wish that it could swivel on its base. Sometimes I just want to swing the whole thing a little to the left or right, but you can't do that.

As far as the iOttie One Touch XL that I had originally purchased. I didn't return it. Instead I realized it would make a perfect mount for my phone to use on my office desk! And it has. In fact it works so nicely that I've thought of buying a second One Touch 2 to use on my desk instead. Because the extension arm there would actually be quiet nice. Since I don't drive my desk on the road, it wouldn't have the bounce problem! And it would be nice to get the phone a little closer while I'm at my desk.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9