Profile for Don Meyer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Don Meyer RSS Feed (Missouri, USA)

The Gentleviewer's Obsessive Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Second Edition
The Gentleviewer's Obsessive Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Second Edition
by Kathleen Mattson
Price: $16.20
25 used & new from $13.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome insights and details about BTVS!, April 18, 2014
Where to begin. Probably with the pop-culture references! I am in awe of the time and energy needed to pick up on the vast number of these that were in the episodes. I like to think I'm pretty good at the pop-culture reference game, but a lot of them still went past me - but not past the author of this book!

The "Character Arcs" section is a nice overview of each character's personal journey throughout the show.

And then there are the episode tables, crammed full of info about each episode in a concise table format. Want to see which episodes your favorite writer wrote, or favorite director directed? Yep, tables for that too.

Last but not least - the index! I know indices aren't normally considered exciting, but if you want to know which episode references Captain America, the index holds the answer. (5-8 "Shadow")

One of my favorite features are the Episode References - Joss Whedon loves to both foreshadow future events, and reference events in previous episodes. And those references can span multiple *seasons*, not just multiple episodes. For example, in episode 5-12 Buffy refers to a Watcher's Council "test" that occurred in episode 3-12. I'm not sure which impresses me more - the effort the writers put into making the Buffy universe consistent, or the effort the author has made to note all those references!

In summary, if you love details, or just want to get greater insight into the pop-culture references that abound in BTVS, you'll enjoy this book!

CalDigit Thunderbolt Station - Thunderbolt Interface Expansion Device for Mac and PC
Price: $199.00
3 used & new from $199.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with Apple Mini DisplayPort monitor?, January 29, 2014
Sadly, everything but the monitor is working fine.

My Apple Mini DisplayPort monitor will randomly just become disconnected (not physically) from my Retina MacBook Pro. Screen black, and all windows relocate to the MacBook's screen. The only way to get it back is to disconnect the TB Station from my Mac. (just unplugging the monitor from the TB Station doesn't do it)

Here's my setup: Mac ==> TB Station ==> Monitor

No response yet on my email to support, so I guess I'll give it a couple more days and then this is getting returned and the quest for the dream of "one power cable, one data cable" will continue.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 1:45 PM PST

Tightwads on the Loose: A Seven Year Pacific Odyssey
Tightwads on the Loose: A Seven Year Pacific Odyssey
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Story, November 20, 2013
Very interesting peek into a fascinating way of life, and one couple's specific experience. Loved living this adventure vicariously, and was sad when the book ended. Anyone who's ever daydreamed of bailing out of the rat race and sailing off into the sunset will enjoy this book.

HP 49A / Q5949A Black Laser Toner Cartridge Compatible with HP LaserJet 1160, LaserJet 1160Le, LaserJet 1320, LaserJet 1320n, LaserJet 1320nw, LaserJet 1320t, LaserJet 1320tn, LaserJet 3390, LaserJet 3392 Toner Ink © Blake Printing Supply
Offered by Blake Printing Supply TM
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $34.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, good quality, July 10, 2013
Although we haven't seen just how many pages we will get from this cartridge, it's initial fit and function are just great! Printing like new!

Sanuk Women's Get Lei'D Slip-On,HawaII,9 M US
Sanuk Women's Get Lei'D Slip-On,HawaII,9 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and Super Comfortable, July 13, 2012
Not only are these very pretty (my wife keeps looking for outfits that they match so she can wear them more often!), but like every Sanuk we've purchased so far, they are very comfortable.
Easy on and off, and great for all the walking my wife and I do around town and at the beach.

Chuck: The Complete Fifth and Final Season [Blu-ray]
Chuck: The Complete Fifth and Final Season [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Zachary Levi
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $23.69
45 used & new from $14.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show - horrible Blu-Ray quality, June 27, 2012
The season itself was pretty much what we're used to from Chuck. Some standout episodes mixed with some that were rather weak, but certainly some interesting story arcs this season.

My main issue was with the quality of the video. I don't know if the problem is with the source footage or the transfer, but an incredible amount of the video had quality that I don't expect to see on DVDs these days, let alone Blu-Ray. Very disappointed with the amount of what appear to be compression artifacts. It wasn't unwatchable, but certainly not a hi-def experience in many places.

The Gentleviewer's Obsessive Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Gentleviewer's Obsessive Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
by Kathleen Mattson

4.0 out of 5 stars A labor of love, June 17, 2012
You have to really love a TV show to devote this much time and energy to it. The wealth of detail and clever concepts in this book - like showing which episodes are key to defining a character's arc - make that love obvious.
The explanations of the (sometimes uber-subtle) references to literature and pop-culture alone made me glad I'd bought it. I learned a lot, and was reminded of why I love this show. Time to watch it again!
It was also pretty neat to be able to easily see the cross-references of my favorite episodes and their writers and directors.
If you are the type of fan who bought this show on DVD, you'll really enjoy this book.

I really hope that the author has a sequel to this book covering the rebooted Dr Who in the works - there's a show whose complex character arcs and sometimes mysterious references (at least to this non-British viewer) deserve this kind of guide.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid gauge, April 30, 2012
Bought this one because I needed a good second gauge. Went mechanical because I was tired of my digital gauge needing batteries just when I needed it most.
This gauge is easy to read, and seems to make a good seal with the valve. Very pleased so far.