ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Gluskabe > Reviews

Gluskabe's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gluskabe RSS Feed (San Diego, CA)

Toshiba Satellite C55-B5299 15.6-Inch Laptop (Intel Celeron N2830 Processor , 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, Windows 8.1)
Offered by Buysmart (No tax)
Price: $251.99
51 used & new from $166.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much unusable, August 22, 2015
This is the worst computer purchase I ever made. This laptop is dog slow, takes forever to boot up. And then once you are in, it is all slow motion. If you want to practice patience and zen then maybe you can use this one. If you want to get stiff done, forget it. I know it's a low end laptop but to me its unforgiveable that Toshiba would put this on the market. The most expensive laptop is the one you never use. That would be this one. Do yourself a favor and pass on it.

JFK's War with the National Security Establishment: Why Kennedy Was Assassinated
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the JFK assassination., February 5, 2015
This is a great book on the big picture of the Kennedy assassination. On the question of why he was assassinated and by who. It does not cover the assassination itself (the official story that lone nut Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy and was in turn killed, while in police custody at police headquarters, by a 2nd lone nut, Jack Ruby, has been thoroughly debunked elsewhere). This book ties all of the pieces together into the most plausible explanation of the assassination. That the national security establishment, angered by Kennedy's attempts to end the Cold War and especially by his failure to invade Cuba during the Cuban misses crisis, had decided that Kennedy was weak. That perceived weakness was dangerous to national security and so JFK was assassinated. Even though the events in this book occurred over 50 years ago they are still significant since that party of war controls the United States to this day.

The Men Who Built America
The Men Who Built America
DVD ~ Men Who Built America
Price: $9.92
32 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but some historical details are distorted, November 28, 2012
This review is from: The Men Who Built America (DVD)
I generally enjoyed the show and how it ties together the stories of the various robber barons of the late 19th/early 20th centuries. But I was kind of irked at how some of the historical details were distorted. For instance, they got the whole Homestead strike/battle wrong. If you just watched the show you would think that the Pinkertons just walked up to the striking steelworkers at Homestead and opened fire. Historically, there was a battle in that the strikers themselves were armed too. The Pinkertons were trying to land in barges and were actually forced to surrender! Why change that? I don't think it was for any political/ideological reason that I could tell. But it's like they tried to simplify things so much that it actually distorts what happened. It makes me wonder what else in the series is not quite the way it happened. I realize in making a show about such a large topic that you can't throw in every detail but in trying to oversimplify it, it does a disservice to history. So I enjoy the series for tying together some parts of history that I didn't know about and making me want to read more, but at the same time I am disappointed at some of the details they get wrong.
Comment Comments (33) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2015 9:49 PM PDT

Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device
Litebook Elite Hand-Held Light Therapy Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured my sleep problems, July 23, 2008
I had this problem for the past couple of years where I would not be able to sleep between the hours of 10pm and 3am. So I would end up falling asleep usually between 3-4am. Since I would have to get up at 730am for work I would end up getting 4 hours or less of sleep a night. This would result in me getting home from work around 5pm dog tired. I wouldn't feel like working out or doing much else. Often I would fall asleep around 6pm for a couple of hours. On the weekends I would fall asleep around 4am and sleep until 2 in the afternoon. I hated the whole pattern. If you're too tired to do anything it messes up your whole life. I tried the melatonin pills but those didn't work to well for me. I had these spacey dreams and this spacey feeling just before I fell asleep but that was it.

It is amazing how well the litebook worked for my sleeping problems. I got it in April and I use it for about a half hour in the morning while eating my breakfast and reading the news on my computer. The first thing you notice is that it gives you a kind of pick me up in the morning. I use it every day during the week, and sometimes on the weekends if I get up early enough, since you are supposed to use it at about the same time each day. It took a couple of weeks for it to start helping my sleep. I began getting sleepy around 11pm instead of around 300am. It's been almost four months and I really notice a change. I don't slack off at work as much anymore. I'm in better shape since I exercise more -- I don't blow it off because I'm too tired.

I will say that in addition to the litebook I also did a couple of other things to help with my sleep. 1. I cut out all caffeine. No coffee or soft drinks or anything that has it. 2. Really limited my drinking of alcohol. I noticed that if I had more than two drinks in a day it would disturb my sleep. Three or four drinks would lead to noticeably less restful sleep. More than that, and if not hungover, I would feel a little rundown and beat.

In the end I will have to say I am totally happy with this product. It helped me take care of a major problem in my life. It's amazing how having screwed up sleeping patterns drags the rest of your life down. Now I pretty much consider myself cured.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 4:39 PM PST

Dom Casmurro (Library of Latin America)
Dom Casmurro (Library of Latin America)
by Machado de Assis
Price: $19.99
106 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoilers below, May 8, 2008
All in all I thought this was an excellent novel. The first three quarters are an idyllic story of a boy's first love in late 19th century Brazil. The last part is how the marriage fell apart due to suspicions of adultery.

In regards to the debate on whether Capitu cheated, I must say that at first I was unsure also. The thing that swayed me into thinking that yes, she did cheat, was the part where Bentinho's mother was indifferent to his child. If you remember, Bentinho was confused by this since the child was her only grandson. I think she was indifferent because something led her to intuit that the child was not her son's. (Thus his mother knew Capitu was unfaithful long before he did. She never told him, but she knew). Add to this the circumstantial evidence that Bentinho pieced together on his own, and I have to say that in the end, he got it right. Capitu cheated on him.

The Mayor of Casterbridge (Second Edition)  (Norton Critical Editions)
The Mayor of Casterbridge (Second Edition) (Norton Critical Editions)
by Thomas Hardy
Price: $15.76
87 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite the melodrama, a worthy read, May 7, 2008
In some ways this is a hard book to get into since it is set in a totally different culture from ours -rural England of the mid-nineteenth century. You would think that that is close enough in time to not be a problem. But to me the things like their courtship customs, or what is considered scandalous/honorable behavior, are really at a variance with the way we act today that I found it hard to relate to. Add to this some of the implausible melodrama and coincidences that make up the plot and I almost ended up putting down the book.

However I kept reading and in the end I thought it was an excellent story. This is because it illustrated a truth about life that I could empathize with. How a man through pride, anger, stubbornness and alcoholism could end up destroying his relationships with all of the people he is close to and in middle age end up being alienated from everyone who was important to him in his life. Since this story was written there have been millions of guys like Michael Henchard. The details of their lives are different, their endings may have been different. But there is an underlying truth that is the same. That aspect of the story is timeless.

Partisans and Redcoats: The Southern Conflict That Turned the Tide of the American Revolution
by Walter B. Edgar
Price: $11.80
132 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm of two minds about this book, February 24, 2006
On the one had this book is written in an engaging manner and got me interested in a topic I knew little about. The book gives a good background on the Revolutionary war in South Carolina.

However after describing the beginnings of partisan warfare the book kind of tapers off. It does not really go into Kings Mountain, Guilford courthouse, or why the British tried to move north into Virginia. In fact the book does not really cover events outside of South Carolina. Maybe that was the scope of the book. But if that was the case, the scope was too small. Upon finishing the book I had a dissatisfied feeling. It was almost like missing the end of a movie. I was interested in the story and wanted to see it all the way to the end. Instead it stopped three quarters of the way through.

Shattered Union - PC
Shattered Union - PC
Offered by thebookgrove
Price: $28.94
8 used & new from $28.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Will keep you occupied for a few days, October 25, 2005
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Shattered Union - PC (Video Game)
Shattered Union is a turn based wargame that is good for a few days diversion. You can play single battles or a full campaign. The campaign consists of a strategic map of 24 regions of the US. The basic premise is that the US split into six factions after a period of disputed elections and a nuclear attack on Washington DC. In addition to the six US factions, the European Union makes up the seventh after they sent peacekeepers to occupy the DC area.

The strategic portion of the campaign game I thought was the weakest part. It is massively simplified in that you have a maximum of 42 units and are allowed to make only one attack per turn. Whichever units are used in an attack are unavailable for defense. Instead of stationing units in the various territories you hold, you have a force pool from which you deploy units for attack and defence. Having a maximum of 42 units leads you to get stretched thin and being forced to give up territories sometimes since you don't have enough units to defend them. This in turn leads to repeated fighting over the same territory. Additionally it takes several mouse clicks to see which units you have in your force pool. There should be a way to see this in a glance.

On the plus side the tactical maps of each region, while not topographically realistic, are cool to look at. You can even learn some about US geography. For example I did not know that Seattle was that close to a mountain range etc (ok maybe I'm dumb, but I've never been there).

The tactical battles are where you spend most of your time. While again not realistic, they are fun if you liked games like panzer general, massive assault, and advance wars. Though after a few days, once you get to know the units and how the AI plays, you should be able to consistently beat the computer. However that is the case with most AI. Still it is fun. All in all, a good but not great game.

The Insurrection in Dublin
The Insurrection in Dublin
by James Stephens
Price: $15.95
42 used & new from $1.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome eyewitness account --not a history, October 20, 2005
An excellent book for those who want to know the effect of the 1916 Easter rising on the average Dubliner. Walking out one morning the author narrates how he saw small groups of people gathered on each corner. They all seemed to be looking in the same direction. He finally stops to inquire what is going on and hears that the Sinn Fein have taken over parts of the city. From there the book recounts his spectator's view of the uprising.

The book is not a military or political history so it doesn't cover the planning of the uprising or the responses of the British. Instead the author narrates his observations and the reactions of the people around him as the uprising continues. At first people are in shock and even angry at the insurrectionists. But then, as the days pass and the uprising continues Stephans is puzzled. More and more he notices people smiling. It is only later that he realizes that they are smiling out of pride. If the uprising had been immediately quashed they would have been depressed. However as the fighting dragged on the author recounts the growing feeling of pride that the people began to have for those involved in the futile uprising. All in all a great book for those who want insight into stirrings of nationalism in a people.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 11:56 PM PST