Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for D Bricher > Reviews

Browse

D Bricher's Profile

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D Bricher "Jane of All Trades" RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Green Line
The Green Line
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course I couldn't put it down. Why should I?, December 30, 2015
This review is from: The Green Line (Kindle Edition)
I had a good time reading this book. Normally I read 3 or 4 books at a time, but this one was never boring, so now I have to return to the 3 others that are in progress. Perhaps Ms. Diskin will produce another novel soon. For inspiration, come up to Minneapolis and ride the Metro Transit 5 bus on Chicago Ave after dark!

My only criticism is that a 4 month old baby doesn't interact with people the way that the author had Lizzy doing. Unreal. The plot would have been better if Meg had 2 kids in the room - one infant and one toddler hooked into a highchair, so that there would be justification for the maternity leave and also a slightly older child giving the villain visual clues.

T-Mobile Rocket 4G (T-Mobile)
T-Mobile Rocket 4G (T-Mobile)

1.0 out of 5 stars trash - do not buy, March 23, 2015
After 12 days, this refused to work anymore. T-Mobile tech support determined that the unit was about 4 years old, and might have been returned previously and somehow got repackaged and resold. Amazon speedily refunded the purchase price and fotthat, I give Amazon 5 stars!

Presumed Guilty: Casey Anthony: The Inside Story
Presumed Guilty: Casey Anthony: The Inside Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Florida, Find Another Country To Be Part Of, February 4, 2014
When I started reading this book, like everyone, I was sure that Casey Anthony was guilty and had escaped punishment by some legal sleight of hand. New I know better. Remember that old, old movie: Twelve Angry Men? That was fiction about a jury that was all set to convict a murder defendant, but one juror wanted everybody to think more carefully before sentencing a young man to death. In Presumed Guilty, the American public is the jury and only hears what information the police chooses to divulge via the all-too-compliant media. Over time, the authors reveal more details about the crime and air the dirty laundry of the very dysfunctional Anthony family. The portrait is drawn of the investigators and prosecutors who are way too eager to gain a conviction. Yet, in another infamous case, Florida very blatantly failed to convict and did not even want to charge. Justice in the state of Florida seems to be sporadic...an indication that Florida is to criminal justice in the new millennium what Mississippi was to civil rights back in the '50s and '60s.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2014 12:31 AM PDT

Mighty Fitz: The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Mighty Fitz: The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Price: $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars November 1975 memories, December 20, 2013
My daughter was born in the fall of 1975 and she had only been home from the hospital for a few days when we had the most gorgeous spell of warm, beautiful days. The first Friday in November was sunny with a high temp in the low 70s - a perfect day to take an infant out for an airing. Fast forward a few days to the next Tuesday, a cold, wet, rainy day when I shivered over a soggy copy of the St. Paul Dispatch and read that a big ore freighter was missing on Lake Superior. The family spent many Saturdays driving to Duluth in those days and naturally we often watched the big boats moving on the lake.

Having a famous Canadian artist record a ballad about it reinforced the memory. Hate that song...and always turn it off or skip over it when it plays. It must be because 29 lives were lost and 29 families were hurt by the need to get that last load of taconite for the year to the smelters in the East. Greedy, greedy

So what did in the Edmund Fitzgerald? Many things...and even today, 38 years after the fact there is still debate about the exact cause(s) of the sinking. Starting with the way the keel was laid and all the way to threading its way through the shoals. And don't forget the issue of deferred maintenance and the question of whether or not all 21 hatch covers were properly closed.

All in all a worthwhile read about one of the greatest mysteries of the Great Lakes,

Hard Work and a Good Deal
Hard Work and a Good Deal
Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Trip Through the Past, February 15, 2013
All the places in this state that were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps! Now I would like to revisit many of these sites and pay more attention to the construction.

Against Her Will: The Senseless Murder of Kelly Ann Tinyes
Against Her Will: The Senseless Murder of Kelly Ann Tinyes
by Ronald J. Watkins
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
30 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars The same points, over and over again..., February 12, 2013
I got this book free as part of my Amazon Prime trial membership and downloaded it to my new Kindle Fire. The only thing that the author did not choose to emphasize repetitiously was the steroid angle - that happened only once. Nobody read what got scanned in...it was amusing and irritating to have to stop and interpret phrases such as "she had known him for wars" (years!) and something happened "bemuse" something else had, rather than because, also the number of times that the scanner chose to change an "l" into a numeral 1. Paragraphs did not follow one logical subject; whenever I have to stop reading to figure out which person is represented by a pronoun, it's annoying. The animosity between the two families was simply astonishing, but one must presume that the small-town mores permitted such behavior. The author seems to lack appropriate subject material and merely repeated items time and time again in order to have a long enough book for publication. For example, the tragic nature of Kelley's death is illustrated in many different places without much variation, something that bored me. Despite that, the story is interesting enough to hold my interest throughout, so I decided that it merited a rating of 3.

Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)
Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should step on their old Kindle and crush it!, February 12, 2013
Not that being out of $89 is a pleasant experience. My first Kindle fell in a bathtub and drowned, my second one was crushed by my foot. I am resigned to losing this third Kindle to something, so I passed up the expensive case, the quick charger and the screen protector. It might terminate its existence by being eaten by a bear, because I want something small enough to take camping. So I did buy the less expensive case, just to have something to cushion the Fire against pressure. (It's not an Etch-A-Sketch that can be tossed into the bottom of a fully loaded toybox.)

Actually, when the Kindle first came out, I purchased one as a gift for my daughter. She doesn't get to use it much for her own pleasure, but the children love it. They use it to watch kids' movies and to play Angry Birds. My daughter recommends watching movies with it plugged in, because video and games drain the power out quickly. I watched a couple of videos, but had difficulty finding the volume control. I suspect that the sound quality improves dramatically if you listen with headphones, which are usually hanging on a nail in my computer room, never with me. I need to charge it daily, but I am reading something every day.

Because I'm really only interested in using it as an e-reader, I got a couple of books from my local library and subscribed to Readers Digest. Love the quality of the pictures, a quality that is not to be had on the original Kindle (I skipped the Paperwhite.) The RD on the Kindle Fire is a lot more interesting than on the old Kindle and even better than the print version (50 years of reading delight with that version). Leaving wireless on, one can click on all kinds of interactive spots and do Word Power right there - the answers erase when you leave the page. It's much easier to locate a particular chapter on the Kindle Fire, unlike its predecessors. To find the beginning of a chapter, select the Go To option and a menu pops up, offering the various chapters by name.

All in all, I am pleased. So, after the bear devours this one, I'd be glad to buy another Fire for Kindle #4.

Weber 2290 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie
Weber 2290 22-1/2-Inch Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie
Price: $149.99
8 used & new from $149.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy food every time, January 7, 2013
I've had my Weber round rotisserie unit for about 5 months now and I've done a couple of turkeys, Rock Cornish hens, a pork roast and a ham. My daughter tasted the ham and told her husband that they would have to find the (unused) rotisserie unit for their gas grill, so that they could grill their hams instead of baking them. I love not having to watch the cooking food to be on time to turn it over. The cornish hens sit further away from the flame so while the skin is still crispy, it's not burnt. Recently, I found a rotisserie basket at our local Menards and so am now experimenting with ribs. I can't wait to do vegetables.

Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History
Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a happy ending, December 14, 2012
Lots of suspense and intrigue. It's too bad that the hostage rescue didn't work, but at least these people did manage to evade capture. Usually, a book is much better than a movie, but I want to see how Ben Affleck shows certain key scenes, like the trek through the checkpoints at the airport, the walk from the American Embassy and the locals circling like buzzards trying to find any concealed American escapees.

In the Footsteps of Little Crow
In the Footsteps of Little Crow
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday? or 150 years ago?, October 6, 2012
Curt Brown is a reporter for the Minneapolis Star Tribune. This isn't his first 'hard cover' book, so to speak. I read his book about the great storm of 1905. (Please see So Terrible a Storm: A Tale of Fury on Lake Superior). As a home-grown Minnesota, I've read numerous tales about the tragic Sioux Uprising. Mr. Brown's is particularly graphic and vivid - you can feel the hunger and the heat, and sense the smoke of burning homes and crops. There are details included in this account that are missing from other sources.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3