Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Incog Nito > Reviews

Browse

Incog Nito's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Incog Nito "merrywalker2" RSS Feed (Eugene, OR United States)

The Witches of Karres
The Witches of Karres
by James Schmitz
34 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars "Edited"?? There was nothing wrong with the original story!, December 26, 2004
This review is from: The Witches of Karres (Hardcover)
Being a die-hard fan of the Witches of Karres, and having gone through a LOT to find copies of this out-of-print masterpiece so I could lend or give them to friends, I was very excited to see it re-released, and in hardback, at that!

Then I noticed the "edited by Eric Flint" part, and my enthusiasm vanished. I recently had the misfortune of reading the Wizard of Karres, Flint's attempt (with others) to create a sequel to the original Witches of Karres. I was underwhelmed by that effort, so much so that I won't waste a penny buying this "edited" version of a classic.

Another reviewer suggests that the original novel, published in 1966, is "dated" and so benefits from Flint's editing. I've reread the original at least once a year for years, and it has never seemed dated to me. It's written in the classic "Golden Age" or "pulp" style, but any attempt to change that would ruin the story, in my opinion.

The one good point is that with the release of this version, old paperbacks of the UNEDITED Witches of Karres are becoming available at more reasonable prices than previously. If you want a good read, take a pass on the edited version and find one of the old paperbacks. You'll be glad you did!

PLEASE NOTE: The vast majority of the reviews of this story were written BEFORE the release of this "edited" version and refer only to the original story, not this recent release.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2015 6:43 AM PST

The Wizard of Karres (Lackey, Mercedes)
The Wizard of Karres (Lackey, Mercedes)
by Mercedes Lackey
63 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, December 26, 2004
Like others who have reviewed the Wizard of Karres, I am a devout fan of the original story, the Witches of Karres.

But unlike most others who have reviewed this book, I was not pleasantly surprised. Nor can I recommend this book to anyone hoping for a continuation of the magic from the original story.

While there are a few scenes in which the characters seem like themselves, mostly they come across as poor two-dimensional recreations. Similarly, while there are some passages where Schmitz's delightful writing style is fairly well recreated, mostly it is only imitated, and in many places not particularly well.

Add to that the uneven pacing, the weak and complicated plotting, and the other problems mentioned in other reviews, and Wizard comes across as an attempt to cash in on the success of the original novel, rather than any kind of homage or honest attempt to revisit the characters. I'm astonished that Jim Baen, whose publishing instincts are generally sound, put this out with his colophon.

Partway through the book I almost stopped reading it, but I went ahead and finished it, hoping that it might yet redeem itself before the end. Unfortunately, instead of getting better, it got worse.

Between the "Karres Series" parentheticals and the speculation in the reviews here, I suspect there will be more atrocities published with "Karres" in the title. I won't be reading them, and wish I hadn't read this. As soon as I had finished it, I got out my original Witches of Karres and reread it (for the umpteenth time), largely to recover the delight I had in the characters and their preposterous situations. It worked... but it also showed even more clearly how Wizard fails to live up the Karres magic.

Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season
Tour of Duty - The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Terence Knox
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $5.99
47 used & new from $0.48

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not the same without the music...., May 23, 2004
As I feard, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that at long last Tour of Duty is being released on DVD. The bad news is that it's being released with that sappy intrumental soundtrack instead of the rollicking rock'n'roll soundtrack it originally had. *sigh* That's why I can't give this release more than three stars. The show is definately worth 5 stars, but this dvd set loses points for the soundtrack.
I'll probably still buy it, since Zeke Anderson as portrayed by Terry Knox is one of my favorite tv characters. And even without the classic soundtrack, the show is still very good. But for those of us who lived through that time, the songs used in the original soundtrack really brought it home.
I've heard they changed the soundtrack because of the royalty cost of using all those songs, but I'd gladly pay more to have them included. I just spent $100 on the second season of Voyager, and I wouldn't hesitate to spend that much for Tour of Duty with the original soundtrack.

The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl, Book 1)
The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl, Book 1)
by Eric Van Lustbader
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
85 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Routttine, Hummmdrum, Borrring...., September 11, 2002
At the outset, let me state that I am not a fan of the trend towards "multi-volume epics," for the simple fact that 99% of them either don't have enough story to support that treatment or the author isn't up to handling that format adequately. In some cases it's a bit of both, and that describes RING OF FIVE DRAGONS pretty well.
Others have already mentioned the book's primary shortcomings: Uneven pacing, inconsistant characterizations, routine (and even recognizable) mythology, deus ex machina revelations, plot holes, and a disturbing fascination with inter-species sex. Let me assure you that all these objections are valid, in spades, and then some.
In addition, this book contains several vivid descriptions of rapes, and particularly of a double rape and murder, and the disturbing way these scenes were handled added nothing to the plot (such as it is) and seemed entirely gratuitous.
As I write this, the second book in this "epic" is available, but I won't be buying it. Nothing in the first book entertained me or made me care what happens to these characters, so I won't waste my money...or my time... on the second.