Profile for David Dodd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Dodd RSS Feed

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10)
Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10)
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.99
239 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad? Sad is $8 x 1,880 = $15,040. Jordan, You didn't earn it, December 31, 2003
Robert Jordan is like a successful movie director that has forgotten how to edit himself. My favorite: "...if that were possible." I started counting how many times Jordan has written that phrase and then realized it was the only reason I was continuing to read. Everyone should stop reading this tedious series until Jordan stops writing (hopefully) or finishes it (not likely).

The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Book 1)
The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Book 1)
by Tad Williams
55 used & new from $5.21

1.0 out of 5 stars I Was Robbed! (spoilers), July 23, 2001
I finished reading Green Angel Tower (Part 2) last night. What a waste! Never have a read about such a bumbling, incompetent, irrelevent group of heroes in my life! Only Prince Josua's decisions affected events in any meaningful way. The battle for Sesuad'ra and Miriamele's bow shot at the end were the only instances where the heroes took the initiative and made a difference. Everyone else was dragged around by the swords. If it wasn't going to be them, the swords would have found someone else. Pathetic! About halfway through the last book, I realized I was witnessing the horrifying transformation of Star Wars into The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. If I had to read one more line about a sword-nick-here and a bumped-knee-there, I would have screamed. I'm surprised we didn't get a full account of Doctor Morgenes' paper cuts! But I'm sure Tad Williams thought about including them. I also posted this under Green Angel Tower, but want to stop anyone else from considering these books, which is why I posted it here. Stick with Jordan, even though he may never finish...

To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Book 3)
To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, Book 3)
by Tad Williams
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.35
235 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I Was Robbed! (spoilers), July 23, 2001
I finished reading Green Angel Tower last night. What a waste! Never have a read about such a bumbling, incompetent, irrelevent group of heroes in my life! Only Prince Josua's decisions affected events in any meaningful way. The battle for Sesuad'ra and Miriamele's bow shot at the end were the only instances where the heroes took the initiative and made a difference. Everyone else was dragged around by the swords. If it wasn't going to be them, the swords would have found someone else. Pathetic! About halfway through the last book, I realized I was witnessing the horrifying transformation of Star Wars into The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. If I had to read one more line about a sword-nick-here and a bumped-knee-there, I would have screamed. I'm surprised we didn't get a full account of Doctor Morgenes' paper cuts! But I'm sure Tad Williams thought about including them. I apologize to everyone for not having posted this critique earlier, but I'm a slow reader. Stick with Jordan, even though he may never finish...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2013 6:21 PM PDT

The Accidental Theorist: And Other Dispatches from the Dismal Science
The Accidental Theorist: And Other Dispatches from the Dismal Science
by Paul Krugman
Price: $12.46
172 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Read!, January 13, 2000
Paul Krugman has written a very entertaining book about the economics of public issues. And unlike other economic books written for the layman, The Accidental Theorist doesn't pull any punches. If a politician or another economic guru makes an absurd proposal, Mr. Krugman will let him or her know. I agree wholeheartedly with whomever said Paul Krugman is the Carl Sagan of economics. Just one note of caution: if you're a serious economics student looking for case studies, this isn't it.

The Economics of Public Issues
The Economics of Public Issues
by Roger LeRoy Miller
53 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but Limited, January 13, 2000
This is a must read for the layman who doesn't want to read Economics 101. Many politicians and well-intentioned citizens should realize what they're up against when they try to thwart the laws of economics, whether it's the minimum wage, ticket scalping, drugs or abortions. This book explains in clear terms why many laws to regulate these issues are doomed from the start. In addition, this book is a great companion for a macroeconomics course to promote class discussions. However, if you already fully understand the laws of supply and demand, then this book is little more than light reading on a plane, and probably not worth the price. Paul Krugman's, The Accidental Theorist, addresses many of the same issues, is a lot cheaper, and more fun to read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2008 4:23 PM PDT