Profile for Peter S. Wadhams DPM > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter S. Wadhams DPM "Wadmania" RSS Feed (Redondo Beach, CA)

Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics
Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics
by Jonathan Wilson
27 used & new from $2.43

5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole Story, August 6, 2009
This is simply an extraordinary tome. It provides a thorough, dispassionate, yet thoroughly engaging, history of the tactics of football. From the chaos of the fields of nineteenth century England to the modern day Premiership and Serie A, Mr. Wilson traces the development of the beautiful game in each different region with an understanding of how the regional culture created the style of play.
As an American, who played high school soccer in a 2-3-5 in the 1970's, to understand how and why that system went out of vogue in Europe in the 1920's (!) was an eye opener. Further, the implications for the state of the game in the United States and the glaring need for the development of a national "style", for instance a fusion of Latin and Western European tactics, is appallingly obvious.

A Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
A Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
8 used & new from $98.63

5.0 out of 5 stars An Extraordinary Aural Event, January 20, 2009
"The Lamb..." begins with the beautifully familiar piano riff at the top of the title cut, but as the song begins to build, suddenly there are strings and horns! How do you recreate Tony Banks' incredible manual dexterity and full, lush keyboard tracks? You don't! You replace them with an orchestra! I could wax enthusiastic track by track, but I will try to be brief.

First, the guitarist is obviously a classically trained musician because he recreates Steve Hackett riffs (when the attempt is made) much better than Mike Rutherford (or Daryl Steurmer) has ever been able. They have reinserted Peter Gabriel's lilting flute solos.

Where this album truely soars is in the "rewiring." For example, replacing keyboard parts with strings, winds and brass on "In the Cage." The first time I heard the solo from "Riding the Scree" (one of my favorites) on clarinet, I was stopped in my tacks, slack jawed!

There are so many surprises like this. If you have even taken time to read the reviews, this is an album I think you will love.

Now I just hope Genesis follow through with their origival reunion plan from 2006 -- all five members doing "The Lamb..." live on tour.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2009 12:30 PM PDT

LEGO Star Wars AT-TE Walker (7675)
LEGO Star Wars AT-TE Walker (7675)
Offered by BUYFROMTARP
Price: $249.18
22 used & new from $95.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Challenge, January 20, 2009
My son is a six-year-old LEGO prodigy. (I'm joking.) When he told Santa he wanted the AT-TE for Christmas, I decided to go ahead and get it. I hadn't read about it all that carefully. I wondered why Amazon had sent it in such a big box, then I opened the shipping box and discovered I had gotten him a 799 piece, age 9-14 monster. Though it took about ten days (maybe twelve to fifteen hours of work), my boy did it with a minimum of suggestions. My main job was hunting for pieces while he handled ALL the construction.

Now he playes with it daily, and the finished product is pretty resilient.

Christmas Songs
Christmas Songs
Price: $9.60
157 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A Torch Singer's Christmas, September 1, 2006
This review is from: Christmas Songs (Audio CD)
This is a pretty classic torch singer, with great pipes, singing Christmas songs. Put it on your CD with a few other Christmas albums you love, hit random and you'll never be disappointed when Krall's songs come up. When you just listen to the album by itself it becomes a little much...

Black Barrel
Black Barrel
Offered by ExpressMedia
Price: $16.80
7 used & new from $4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Rockin': Grown Up & No Excuses, April 13, 2000
This review is from: Black Barrel (Audio CD)
After I got this album (from Amazon, thank you) I woke up with one of these songs running through my head for, literally, three weeks. The "hooks" in these songs are monsters, but it is not "one trick" music -- it's not all hook.
I would compliment Messers Robertson and Wadhams on crafting tremendously compelling music AND lyrics. I wrote some of the lyrics to "Somedays Come" in the card I gave my wife on our last anniversary. The songs ring honest and true for a wide variety of relationsips in my life, and the lives of those around me.
These are songs written by adults -- fathers, husbands... The lyrics speak from experience. This is not the experience of the bulletproof youth who believe they own the world and can do no wrong. These are guys who I am led to believe have had victories and defeats, still remain confident yet humble, hopeful though touched by cynicism, and, undoubtably, imbued with a sense of humor.
If this were a major label release, with appropriate backing, i.e. tell the radio execs, "you have to take a few minutes and listen to this" I believe it would spawn four or five hit songs. Not top ten hits, like I suppose Mr. Wadhams had before, but there's nothing but pablum in the Top 10 now...