Profile for Pablo Diaz Gutierrez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pablo Diaz Gutierrez RSS Feed (http://www.ics.uci.edu/~pablo/books.html)

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Great audio, sucky alarm, January 12, 2013
The sound quality in this alarm clock is pretty good. Solid sound both for talk radio and music, with surprisingly strong low frequencies given the size of the speaker. However, the alarm is awful. Whether you choose radio or buzzer mode, it goes from very low volume to "please shoot me" deafening mode in a couple of seconds. Not exactly a pleasant wake up call. I wish you could select the volume level when you set the alarm.

ZonePerfect High Protein Nutrition Bars, Dark Chocolate Almond & Double Dark Chocolate (24 ct)
Offered by PHUGO Marketing LLC
Price: $33.95
4 used & new from $33.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, December 21, 2011
I've been grabbing one of these babies every morning for breakfast with coffee on the train. They taste great, they're nutritious, and they have a different texture from all other protein bars I've tried, what with those crunchy popped rice grains. Just enough calories to get me going in the morning, whether I'm doing my 7 mile bike ride to work or taking the shuttle from the train station.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Very large patches, December 21, 2011
It's hard to appreciate this by looking at the picture, but these patches are huge! They're larger than the largest ones that came in my previous multi-size box. Because of this, I think I'll be cutting them in half before using them, or else they'll probably end up with non-stuck corners when applied. Otherwise, good value for the money.

Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
by Guy Kawasaki
Price: $18.65
237 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful to catch disingenuous people, December 21, 2011
I attended Guy's talk when he came to my office (a large Silicon Valley company), and I thought he was a great speaker. The content, on the other hand, was nothing more than feel good mumbo jumbo and trickery. While this was a good approach to more esoteric topics like founding and funding startups, it misses the mark when applied to being likable. It was actually funny that you could see Guy applying his own technique during the talk (exaggerated eye smile, dress code, body language). More than properly demonstrating the art, it made him seem insincere. Since then, I've become a bit more cynical and wary of overly friendly people who are in a position to benefit from interacting with me. That's why I gave the book two stars instead of one. At least it's useful in helping to catch the smell of a hidden agenda.

iRobot 530 Roomba Vacuuming Robot, White
iRobot 530 Roomba Vacuuming Robot, White
6 used & new from $225.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, needs frequent untangling, April 10, 2010
I have improved my view on this Roomba after learning to properly service and untangle it every 2-3 uses. Removing hair from the roller is still too tough, but it can be done and hence I must give the product a couple more stars. I won't give it 5 stars because it's not smart enough to return to the base station unless it's a really small room, which limits its utility.

== PREVIOUS REVIEW ==
A robot vacuum is an awesome idea, and a great helping hand at home for a busy person like me. I started loving it right away, and collecting the dust ball in the container was a task I thoroughly enjoyed, thinking on the amount of work I was being saved. Unfortunately, not more than 2 weeks into my relationship with miss spinny, things went sour. I came home to find it in a corner with a red light blinking, asking to have the brushes cleaned. I did so, and after a full battery charge it restarted cleaning, only to stop a couple of minutes later with the same problem. Also, it emits this thumping sound every second or so, which according to the manufacturer is a way to get unstuck from carpets, thread and other obstructions. Well, the brushes are clean as can be and the thumping sound doesn't stop. I saw video reviews in youtube <[...]> where they describe the issue: Hair stuck in the bearings and gear train melt the gears away. Indeed, the edges of my Roomba's bearings are not perfect squares, but rather rounded ones now. And there's a suspicious clear goo around the that can only be the plastic wearing away.

As the guy in the linked video says, I can't recommend this device for carpets or homes with animals (or simply hosting people with long hair), since it'll break down soon and stop working, as it happened to me. I'll be returning mine soon and hoping that the alternative can handle the task, unlike this baby.

Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week
Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week
by Eric Harr
Price: $15.82
264 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent beginner's book, January 15, 2010
I read this book last year during my preparation for the 2009 Santa Cruz (formerly Sentinel) Olympic Triathlon. I was a strong sportsman about a decade ago (rugby, basketball), but I've been too busy ever since. Having started in endurance sport about a year ago, the triathlon was my second go, after the LA Marathon earlier the same year. In preparing for the marathon, I followed Hal Higdon's famous book, and I was enamored by it. I was expecting the same in this book, but it's not quite there yet. Although the author says that the book is suitable for both beginning and advanced athletes, the truth is that only entry level triathletes will really benefit from it. I miss more help on long term training plans, among other things.

Admittedly, triathlon is a much wider topic than marathon running (about 3x, actually), but I got the feeling that this book would only serve as the glue between 3 distinct books on swimming, running and cycling, with each one providing the details for each subsport. Even that would be fair game for me, but the book also lacks sufficient coverage of important topics like season planning, basic injury prevention and recovery. It's not a bad book, but it can be greatly improved in the next edition.

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (Princeton Science Library)
QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (Princeton Science Library)
by Richard P. Feynman
55 used & new from $3.20

5.0 out of 5 stars The work of an amazing teacher, October 29, 2009
I'm only half way in the 2nd chapter (out of 4), and Feynman's unique explanation of refraction is already well worth the price of this book. As others have noticed, this is truly a book for the nearly profane, but it can be equally enjoyed by the amateur physicist. The simplicity of the explanations, also often original as I have seen them, don't get in the way of further understanding. Like I've read elsewhere, there's nothing here to be 'unlearned' once you go into deeper understanding. To the contrary, if you are already familiar with some signal theory and wave functions, you'll be able to map the analogies to more formal terms, and see how Feynman works the audience, making this read all the more interesting.

I often like to give away books that I enjoy so that my friends can also share the pleasure. With this one, I'm buying an extra copy instead. I'm keeping mine.

Flight of the Conchords: Season 1
Flight of the Conchords: Season 1
DVD ~ Jemaine Clement
Price: $11.32
116 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, April 20, 2008
This show is hilarious, but also sweet and very clever. The characters are lovable, the stories are witty and the songs are not only funny, but also pretty catchy. I still catch myself humming "if that's what you're into". My only complaint is that the DVD doesn't have any extra. You get the same exact content if you pay for HBO and record the episodes.

Live One Summer Night
Live One Summer Night
Offered by lola's dream
Price: $11.08
47 used & new from $4.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than anything before, October 8, 2005
This review is from: Live One Summer Night (Audio CD)
As a Spanish guy with an always latent, recently exploded taste for flamenco, I must say this CD beats both "Friday Night in San Francisco" and "The Guitar Trio", better known internationally. Long beautiful songs that mix the best of two worlds: Traditional flamenco classics and mild Latin rhythms in a sonic twist that burst in a last minute of ecstasy and leaves you in awe with a fast beating heart at the end.

Python How to Program, 1/e
Python How to Program, 1/e
by Harvey M. Deitel
Price: $146.22
50 used & new from $12.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Better name it The Python Bible, May 20, 2005
Bibles, in the profane sense of the word, are huge books filled with clutter and not meaningful structure, which attempt to cover way more than they should. This is a clear example. It might be worth a quick look to a particular chapter, just to get a quick grasp of a particular area like XML, pygame, tkinter, etc. But definitely, this is not the book a beginner should use to learn the language, because as many said before, it seems to be a blind translation from their also crippled Java book. This reader, who cherished their C/C++ book couldn't be more dissappointed.