Profile for Kate Fredericks > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 166

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kate Fredericks "Kate" RSS Feed (Maine, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Flu (A Novel of the Outbreak)
The Flu (A Novel of the Outbreak)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heavy, Sad, Beautiful Love Story, October 17, 2014
Before I picked up this book, I read all of the reviews. It amazes me how many people commented on how slowly it started. Some even downrated it because I guess they expected an End of the World blood fest or something. The truth is, this is one of the best books I have read by a new author, who, I think at the time, was self published.

Writing is a difficult profession. And Ms. Druga is a excellent writer. Anybody can put pen to paper (so to speak) and churn out a book well written with few literary mistakes. But it takes a gifted writer to rise above the perfection of the written word and weave a story full of wonderful characters, their personal stories and, ultimately, make you wish the story would never end. Jacqueline Druga wrote a beautiful story that, to me, over rode the horror of the flu epidemic that swirled around her characters.

I won't write much more about the story, because you need to read that for yourself. I loved Mick. I came to love Dylan. Her father, Tom. Her three boys, Dustin, Chris, and Tigger. I loved Patrick early on. I even came to respect Lars, a mysterious figure in the first half of the book. While this book is a love story in the classical man-woman sense, it was more of a love story of a sweet family and their struggle throughout the book over various issues. But Mick, he was my favorite. I wasn't sure about him for quite a while, but in the end, as the book was winding down on the projector in my head, Mick was a beautifully drawn character.

Very highly recommended. Graphic scenes of sickness and bad language definitely puts this book in the adult section. I would let an older teenager who is mature for their age read it. But it is definitely in my library of top books I have read. Not as good as Alas Babylon, which I have now read three times, but close! Excellent job Ms. Durga. now I'm going to read your woman's series of apocalyptic fiction, which I bought two months ago, and decided, after doing a little background digging, to read The Flu first, which I had put on my bookshelf many months ago (It might have been free?). It is so pleasant to read such above par fiction in my favorite genre! I highly recommend it and will remind you that all of the classics start out slow as it builds a good story and fleshes out great characters. Be patient and enjoy every minute of this wonderful story!

The Variables (Virulent Book 3)
The Variables (Virulent Book 3)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Trilogy Of Post Apocalyptic Storytelling, October 12, 2014
I love to read. Especially apocalyptic fiction. There is something interesting in the way each author tells the story of the end of the world (to me). I decided to review the three books in this trilogy altogether, because really, it is one seamless story. I fell so in love with these characters. (Shelbi, you need to stop watching TV and WRITE, girl! You have an amazing talent for true storytelling. AND, I think you need to finish this trilogy down the road maybe 50 years or so. only you know and love these characters well enough to write the future of Lucy, Grant, Darla, Ethan, Blair, and all the others I have come to love, too! Go for it!! You have a real storytelling gift rare in today's authors! JMHO). These books were true unabashed excellent stories with fleshed out characters, true heroes and really bad bad guys. Whatever, Ms. Wescott has the ability to make each character come to life. I call it the playing of a movie behind your eyes as you read, few people are that gifted. I suspect, like me, you don't have the belief in your own ability to write as well as you'd like, Shelbi. But here am I, a stranger never having met you, knowing little about you EXCEPT an incredible gift for storytelling and characters that spring to life from the written page.

Warning: minor spoilers ahead: Anyway, from the beginning, a virus is released into the atmosphere, most people died. Some were immune, some were inoculated against it because the megalomaniac who orchestrated the whole thing had a plan. Earth was being abused by humans, time to start over and let the earth heal. Not really spoilers, you will learn this quickly enough.

To me the true essence of this story is not about the end of the world as we know it, but the depth of characters, we meet and either love, hate or pity. I wanted to read this book fast, it was so exciting and so well written, but instead, I paced myself and took my time like savoring a fine wine. These characters will not soon be forgotten by me, like in so many other books I have read.

Would go on and on, but then it becomes redundant. It does have some squeamish moments in it, I encourage you to assess your child's or teenager's level of tolerance for such things, but there is little bad language. And a lot of love. Not love as in those books churned out about maidens in distress, but familial love. This doesn't portray perfect families. To me it portrays reality in most families. I definitely recommend this series, the only series written to my sadness by Shelbi Wescott. So much talent, Shelbi. I challenge you to write to follow up to this wonderful series because you know the story and characters best and only you can do it justice.

Get these books and read them. You don't have to be a fan of this genre to fall in love with it. I hope for much more from the author. She does have one new book out. She needs more!

BINGO Blitz - FREE Bingo + Slots
BINGO Blitz - FREE Bingo + Slots
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could give no stars, I would!!, October 11, 2014
If you decide to play this game, by the time you are halfway through, besides the constant glitches from the software, be prepared to start using your own money. If you are well off - have fun. If you are middle class, like me, you will spend your vacation fund. I spent nearly $1,000 - and the more I spent, the less items they gave me. I noticed, by the time I got to Cairo, I got EVERYTHING but one necessary item to close the room. If not for other people helping me, I would not have finished a room from Berlin on. So, here is my advice. SPEND NONE OF YOUR OWN MONEY!! They will try to "get" you by giving you what you need. It's run by an algorithm to track your spending habits and trick you into spending more and more money.

DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. IT WILL TRY TO GET YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY. Stick to Solitaire and other truly free games. Your checkbook will than you.

BINGO BLITZ IS THE WORST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE. STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow
Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit Ground Hog Day, a lot of Great Sci Fi, a Wonderful Teaming of Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise for an Excellent Movie, September 12, 2014
I'm not reviewing much any longer due to Amazon's complete lack of regard for their free marketing dept, but I had to give Edge of Tomorrow two thumbs up. Best movie I have seen in a long time. The first reviewer did the best job of describing what I loved about this movie, including thumbs down to the marketing of this gem. To see Tom Cruise at his best, a little swagger, a little hubris, a little humor, having a lot of fun again, like his earlier movies, was a gift. Emily Blunt played his opposite partner with precise perfection. I just can't find anything to complain about, and that says a lot! If you have time for just one movie in the coming weeks, I highly recommend Edge of Tomorrow. It's long, over two hours, but you will never feel it. In fact, it's one of those rare movies that could have gone on another 10 minutes for reasons you will understand at the end, and not complain. An action film with no agenda but be true to sci fi genre, do it very well, make you laugh, and just leave your problems behind for a while and be truly entertained. Oh, wait. I do have a complaint. Terrible marketing. Good thing there are random reviews by everyday people!

Star Trek: The Compendium [Blu-ray]
Star Trek: The Compendium [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Chris Pine
Price: $24.96
15 used & new from $19.71

5.0 out of 5 stars STAR TREK IN ALL ITS FORMS WAS A GIFT OF LOVE TO US FROM GENE RODDENBERRY...., July 12, 2014
This is,the one time in my life I don't care if I date myself. I have watched every Star Trek show/movie released since this new idea of a future that is full of hope and wonder, with a monster which gets the c##p kicked out of it as the human race was seen through the eyes of Gene Roddenberry as a compassionate, unpolitical, curious, and most of all, advanced through much work and the best minds humanity has to offer who just wanted to go out and meet other races, peacefully. It was a noble, encouraging, exciting time and Star Trek almost literally defined today's Science Fiction genre.

Forty-eight years of the best television ever offered, imho, and the last two are a low-rated double pack of the Two newest Star Trek movies. At the most, these two movies were not boring, they encompassed the humor and energy and kept to a specific message outlined above. At the worst, well, I thought they were very good. Then again, I watch for entertainment. I don't pick at every little detail because I can. And, I'd rather have these movies than no movies or shows at all, which, since JJ only made them to show Mr. Lucas he was up to the task of bringing the last three movies of Star Wars to the big screen and keep them true to the original dream.

So, that leaves us now with no one good enough to make any more Star Trek anything. Lighten up, people. So many of you gobbled up 50 Shades of Grey like it was Shakespeare! It was sex c##p next to the WORST Star trek movie or show, and more people know about it than Star Trek these days. What that says about society today I'll leave to all of you who know better.

I am afraid the Star Trek genre is slowing down. I truly hope we, the people, don't ever let it die.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 9:17 PM PDT

The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel
The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read For Some Biblical Horror, June 12, 2014
*** Some Spoilers - read review at your own peril!!!******

I now understand why this book and possibly his other books get such mixed reviews. Honestly, it was the comments about the Biblical ending that made me read it. Either this author does not know his Bible, or is possibly trying to reach a wider audience by making this Biblical apocalypse not even close to reality. Sort of like the Dean and Sam of Supernatural fame (a popular U.S. show going into its 9TH season here in 2014 - 2015) where they fiddle around with angels and demons and God in such a way that it isn't based on the Bible, but on man's own story peppered with Biblical similarities. Christianity isn't popular these days, in the U.S., anyway. I am a Bible believing Christian and have no issue with using the Bible as a story device (and in fact, am a big fan of Supernatural) as long as they leave the main player out of it, Jesus Christ, Who is the whole reason for the Bible and salvation. To me, leaving Him out just makes it a good story by people who either leave Him out due to respect or fear (as a Christian, I vote for fear :-).

The Final Winter wasn't a perfect book, besides the license taken in the non Biblical story, there were a few mistakes NOT attributable to differences in U.K. vs. U.S. English - just spelling errors and typos. I generally don't downrate if they don't overwhelm the story, and they didn't. I enjoyed it. Once I realized Mr. Wright was not going to demean my beliefs, I was able to settle in and read what turned out to be a cleverly decent story. Having watched Supernatural for so many years, it's pretty hard to scare me with Hell Hounds and a jovial Irish devil who could have been taken straight out of the show. Nevertheless, it had enough differences to keep me reading and I always love a good snowstorm! Four stars for an entertaining story. Could have been better written, and I did go between a three and four star - but when I do a 3.5 star (WHEN will they let us give the .5? There can be too vast a difference between whole numbers when rating a book. The professional reviewers get to use half stars!), I generally uprate because I know how authors struggle and how much difference that 1/2 star can mean. In the end, it was immensely entertaining. But, if you are a more innocent Christian, or do not like foul language and rape, I would say this is not a book for you. Most apocalyptic fiction is scary and can be difficult to read, which I believe is why it is categorized as horror. If you are squared away and don't take these things too seriously and just want some scary, good entertainment, this isn't a bad book. I would recommend it to the niche audience it was meant for. It does not disappoint.

TURN: Washington's Spies Season 1
TURN: Washington's Spies Season 1
DVD
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How does AMC do it?, June 3, 2014
As a television addict, who has even watched every show on the CW (and stopped after two or three on many), I think I know brilliance when I see it.

It took me four episodes of TURN to fully understand all of the characters, plot, relationships, and full intentions of those who conceived and brought the show to a nice spot on AMC. Normally, four episodes is my turn OFF point if I can’t put it together by then. But something about this show drew me in, regardless of my ADD-like need for faster plot building. By episode six, I was not only fully hooked, but was once again in awe that AMC somehow manages to outdo the networks when picking brilliant film to air on their network. The brilliance of TURN is everywhere. It rivals Penny Dreadful in set design and creating a believable time period. The cast is superb, even though there are few well-known actors involved. The fellow who plays Abraham (Jamie Bell) is top notch in every scene. The hideous Lt Simcoe (Samuel Roukin) is so wonderfully hateful, you almost feel sorry for the actor! But the main wonder of TURN is the story itself. The building of a rebel spy ring in the Brittish stronghold of the Revolutionary War throughout the northeastern states of Massachusetts and Connecticutt (and not quite so strong New York and New Jersey), plays like an excellently well thought out history book with the burden of making it interesting instead of sleep inducing. And it succeeds with amazing perfection.

AMC would be foolish to let this gem go. It has not yet been renewed for another season. The hard work is done! We have hung in there and we have caught the brass ring. You definitely have a winner here. I hope AMC has the patience to allow the audience to show their own intelligence and wonder at the story of those who often paid the ultimate price so we could live in a free country and watch this history play out in the almost decadent comfort of our living rooms on big screen, high-def televisions 270 or so years later. PLEASE renew this amazing film and be patient. Word of mouth is an amazing advertisement. Send it to other sites and let them show the first season with a lot of marketing from you. Put it on Prime here on Amazon. You will NOT regret it.

At any rate, thank you for the gift of giving us a peek into what it took to bring us to where we are today. I find it a very humbling experience!

US Fairytailes Mother of the Bride Formal Evening Dress #2731
US Fairytailes Mother of the Bride Formal Evening Dress #2731
Price: $159.99 - $163.98

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF U.S. FAIRYTALES IF YOU NEED TO RETURN THEIR DRESSES, May 30, 2014
I found three U.S. FAIRYTALES Mother of the Brides dresses that I really liked so I ordered them figuring I could return them if I didn't like them. I returned all three, unfortunately I had had an accident around the time they came in, so I was about 4 weeks in returning them. They were paid for up front at $184.98 And the 2nd two were bundled together and the date paid was $314.97 on April 8, 2014. I said it took me four weeks to return them. And I did so, paying over $20 per dress for postage EACH. That was early May. I also got three other dresses from other sellers at the same time with the same issues. Those refunds came within 10 days minus an average of $10.00 each, never clearly explained, also costing me $20 each in postage. Altogether, I am now out $150.00 WITHOUT The U.S. FAIRYTALES refund. I called Amazon two days ago and they sent FAIRYTALES two emails asking them what happened to my refunds. The next day, two refunds showed up on my card, one for $131.99 the other for $219.98. Add another fee never explained for $105.00 And $55.00 (approx - it's late and I am tired and crying). They held back $160.00 bringing my total out of pocket with NO product to show for it to $310.00!!!!!!! We are far from rich. The accident was very bad and I will be in physical rehab all summer (yes I did explain this to US FAIRYTALES).

I am here to warn all of you to NOT order from FAIRYTALES unless you are sure you will not be returning the dress. The others were quick to process the refunds and the majority of the money I was out of was postage and while it IS a lot of money, it by no means matches the ridiculous fees not explained by emails by FAIRYTALES. They do NOT do business in an above board manner.

As for Amazon, I will be calling your Customer Service tomorrow and will file an A to Z form against this company. My son is getting married on June 28. I will be rolled down the aisle in a wheelchair. I did find a wonderful dress for $50.00 at Lands End, no shipping charged. Amazon, think twice about continuing doing business with US FAIRYTALES as a secondary seller in the future based on my experience. I am out a small fortune due to a punishing return policy that only took place when I rattled their cages. This has been a sad and expensive venture for me and I just want peace in my life. I can also tell you this has dented my relationship with Amazon. I might turn to other vendors more in the future.

You all have been warned!!!!!!

Soft and Warm Microfiber Chenille Fingerless Gloves (Pink)
Soft and Warm Microfiber Chenille Fingerless Gloves (Pink)
Offered by Cambridge Select
Price: $12.72
3 used & new from $12.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Chenille Arm and Hand Warmers, April 3, 2014
UPDATE: 10/24/2014: They only had these in white for a while and I prefer black, so I recently bought two more in white. I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND these arm warmers. I tried two other companies and one gave me a rash I am still fighting. These toasty little beauties, though, are amazing. I just bought three more pairs in black at $20 each. Because I don't like being too warm, I keep my thermostat at 60 degrees in winter and pile on sweaters and blankets. I can always shed if I get too warm. Plus these sweet fingerless gloves with a perfect fit and softness not comparable to any of the others I bought, Keep me warm no matter what and I can still use all my tech devices. Still love them, still think you should not waste your money on any others!!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I happened upon these by tripping around just browsing through Amazon. Because of this very cold winter combined with ridiculously high heating prices (how DO the people who make money by pushing UP the price of heating fuel sleep at night?).

Anyway, I do a lot of computer work and my fingers would get like ice cubes. I ordered a pair because they were reasonable and pink. WOW!!! These little beauties are like heaters! No more frozen fingers. The best part was that once my fingers were warm, the rest of my body got warm, too!

I ordered 2 more sets and always have a pair handy. I will wash them up soon and put them away for next winter. You really should check them out. Without the material between the fingers, I could pretty much do anything I could do without them. Except I'm warmer.

Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring (Live)
Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring (Live)
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Relaxing Music, April 3, 2014
I encourage you to to find this group. There was a group of four women sometime in 2006 and 2007. I haven't done a lot of research, I have unearthed most of this group's Mp3 music, put it in a playlist I call Sleeping Mix because I have weird sleeping habits due to several auto-immune diseases.But listening to these ladies lilting, perfectly blended voices, is like listening to one long lullaby. They broke up sometime after that, and did their own albums. Same music, just one voice. They don't have trained or perfect voices, but they DO have emotion. This album - Jesus Of Man's Desiring, is recorded live and I had to take it off my sleeping mix, not because it wasn't good enough. On the contrary, this album may be their best work. But it's also loud. With a lot of clapping. However, I LOVE these women's music. And I have been involved in all sorts of music all my life. If you ever wonder what the angels in heaven will sound like when you get there, listen to these girls. I suspect they will sound a lot like them! They are the anti-pop culture singers. Which is exactly why I love them so much! I thank God He brought this sweet music into my life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17