ARRAY(0xa50b8ccc)

Customer Reviews: 67

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

eightysicks86 RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Crucial m4 64GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT064M4SSD2
Crucial m4 64GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT064M4SSD2
Offered by Sunrise Nanotech
Price: $92.95
13 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast. Coming from 7200RPM Caviar Black (*UPDATED 4/15/12*), September 13, 2011
First I popped the drive in a spare SATA port, went into Windows 7 disk management and activated the disk. Then went to crucials site and followed instructions for updating the firmware. Then proceeded to install the OS.

Disconnected all my hard drives except for the ssd.(VERY IMPORTANT OR WINDOWS MIGHT NOT SEE THE DRIVE WHEN YOU GO TO REINSTALL THE OS) Installed win7 x64. Once my pc was back together again, it benched a 7.4 WEI. The ssd benched a 7.7. For some reason my gpu was the weakest link. I am running triple monitors though.

I notice a huge difference in the responsiveness of operating windows. Have not used many programs yet, but I can tell you that opening (most) programs and (ANY) windows application is instant. Open my computer, control panel, computer management, AMD CCC, etc, and it all opens intantly! No more waiting around! Saw huge improvement in itunes opening. It used to take a good 5-10 seconds for itunes to show up after clicking on it. Now it's about 1 second and BAM!

I will update when I start using my programs more.

pc specs:

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1333
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
10TB Western Digitals
Corsair 750TX PSU

Optimizing ssd for windows (found in a pdf on Corsair support forum. Search "optimize ssd boot drive")

Disable Hibernation - powercfg -h off (CMD prompt)
Disable/move pagefile to another physical drive
turn off indexing (windows search in "Services")
Adjust windows system restore to smallest size or disable if you don't want it
I also adjust the recycling bin to limit garbage at 500MB

-----UPDATE 9/15/11
Still good. PC is back to normal, everything installed. Ran crystaldiskmark for benchies:

Crucial m4 ssd
read (seq) 514.3 MB/s write 116.2 MB/s

old C drive
west dig 7500 rpm Caviar black 640gig
read 113 write 109

Iomega usb2 500 gig external
read 35 write 34

In case anyone is wondering, here is the bench for the ssd with system restore turned off:
read 515.3 write 115.3

You can see the pics in the product image.

***UPDATED 4/14/12***
Ran another crystalmark and performance remained unchanged, uploaded a snapshot to the product images.
Those snapshots and people talking about read rate around 300 mb/s either are not using AHCI or are using 3 gb/s Mobo ports. 64 gigs is not a lot of space. Even after almost a year of using this drive, I managed to keep my drive about 40% free. There are times when a program will spit data to the drive and all the sudden I'll see the drive at 95% full! Use the free program winDirStat. THIS PROGRAM IS GREAT!!!! It sorts your drive contents by size. This way you can locate where big chunks of data are on your SSD and relocate them.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2013 4:30 PM PDT

Alice: Madness Returns - Xbox 360
Alice: Madness Returns - Xbox 360
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $23.77
53 used & new from $16.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great especially if your a fan of the original!, June 22, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I don't know how I would feel about this game if I didn't love the original so much. I still have the original PC game and played it many times, never actually beat it though. I would pick it up from time to time, play for a little, put it down, and then would have to start from the beginning each time I picked it up again years later. The original is a cult classic for me, a sort of enigmatic attraction that I can't explain. It was way before its time visually speaking, and I always felt that it never really received the praise that it deserved. Anyway...

I looked forward to this game for about a year, ever since I heard that American was making a sequel. Madness Returns (IMO) is still very faithful to the feel of the original. I have played a good 3 hours into it so far. It just has this quality that appeals to me. I am more of a FPS shooter gamer and usually bypass "Action" or 3rd person view games altogether. I am also a sucker for visually oriented games such as this one. The story, dialog structure, and voices are totally captivating, but for me this games appeal is the eye candy and atmosphere. Not to mention the battles mechanics are very fun too.

AMR is creepy, action is solid, it is engrossing, challenging in parts, beautiful, and is just good old fun to play. If you are a fan of the 1st - pick it up! If you haven't played the first, I don't know what to tell you since my perspective is heavily altered by my love and nostalgia of the original.

If you buy it new you get the free download of the original Alice. If you get the game secondhand without the code in it, it will cost you a $9.99 DL from XBL. The original game requires the AMR disc in the machine. It is accessed through the main menu of AMR.

I only played 10 minutes of the original Alice, just to check it out. At first the quality during the intro movie was a bit iffy but once the game started I was very impressed at how good it looked considering it's a 10 year old port from the PC. I can't wait to finally finish it.

Mad Dog 357 Pure Ghost
Mad Dog 357 Pure Ghost
Offered by SAUCEWORLD
Price: $2.59
12 used & new from $2.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Taste - 10, Heat - 1, May 12, 2011
This review is from: Mad Dog 357 Pure Ghost (Grocery)
This is a very good tasting sauce to me. Sweet and tangy. Very similar to the Silver edition Mad Dog but nowhere near its heat intensity. I just put about 2 tablespoons on my ham sandwich. It is really very weak. It does state that it is a non-extract sauce, but a little more heat would have been welcomed. Either that or change the label from saying things like "Fear the Ghost", "The Ghost is gonna bite you". I will definitely get this again. Try their silver edition for a serous burn.

Mad Dog 357 Silver Collector's Edition with bullet Key Chain Hot Sauce, 5 Ounce
Mad Dog 357 Silver Collector's Edition with bullet Key Chain Hot Sauce, 5 Ounce
Offered by SAUCEWORLD
Price: $10.89
14 used & new from $10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the hottest and best tasting, May 4, 2011
One of the hottest extract sauces I have tried, not as hot as Da' Bomb Ground Zero, similar to Blair's Zakk Wylde (Berserker Shot to Hell). Hotter than Dave's. A size of a pea is all you need on a chip. A VERY sweet sauce, wish I could use more of it for more flavor. A small drop in your food and you will be able to taste it, the flavor does not get drowned out easily. 1 bottle will probably last you your entire life.

Dave's Ultimate Insanity Hot Sauce Hottest Sauce in the Universe
Dave's Ultimate Insanity Hot Sauce Hottest Sauce in the Universe
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $12.90
7 used & new from $6.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Good!, May 4, 2011
This is an extract sauce, meaning that it has been chemically engineered (refined over and over) to be hotter than eating an actual pepper. Hot sauces in the "Extract" category should only be tasted by dabbing a toothpick in it. Only a fool would drop some on a chip.

Yes this stuff is hot. I didn't really see much of a difference between this and his insanity sauce. Either the sauce looses its potency every time you take it out of the fridge or I have just gotten accustomed to it. When people get into hot sauce, Dave's is usually the talk of the town for a while until you discover hotter stuff. It's probably the most popular extract sauce. Some hottest sauces that I have tried and own are the 357 Mad Dog Silver Edition, Da' Bomb Ground Zero, Blair's Zakk Wylde (Berserker Shot to Hell). Dave's stuff is not as hot as these (To me), these sauces are a 10, Dave's is at a 6. Every time I make a trip to the store I pick up a newer one and usually find a new "Hottest sauce I've ever had". Next on the list is Satan's Blood and Smack my but, smack heard around the world.

My Fav best-tasting sauce would be The Hottest Fn Sauce, Tabasco brand Habanero (It's cheap, widely available, and tastes great with some burn).

Getting back to Dave's, I like and respect his sauce because of its roots and iconic heritage. It paved the way to all the Extract sauce we now have. But the taste of this, his insanity, and the ghost pepper sauces are not my fav. Try some of his other tamer sauce (hurtin Habanero, garlic, etc) for better flavor.

Rii Touch N7 Multimedia Keyboard with Adjustable DPI Touchpad (Black)
Rii Touch N7 Multimedia Keyboard with Adjustable DPI Touchpad (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, yes, YES!, March 25, 2011
I purchased the cheaper one (with the touchpad on the right, on Amazon $30ish) and immediately sent it back. Look for my review. Then I got this one. Wow, it just works.

I wanted a remote for my HTPC using windows 7 x64 and Windows Media Center. I got tired of bringing the mouse with me to the couch. I sit about 8 feet away from my pc and also use a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with that receiver right next to this one's.

Highlights: (The one I previously tried had none of these)

Comes with a removable battery, looks like a cell phone battery, suggesting that maybe you could replace it? Nothing was mentioned about that in the documentation.

Touch pad works awesome! You can drag your finger slowly or fast and it will move across my entire 40" tv with one swipe. The sensitivity of the touchpad is adjustable on the unit itself. I didn't need to calibrate it. It also has a center scroll option on the pad to aid in scrolling through web pages (like the right side of a laptop touchpad).

You can change the channel of the RF transmission in case it interferes with anything in your house!!!!!! HUGE!

It has an on/off button and will also auto-sleep in case you forget to turn it off.

The "E" button under the touchpad bring up your web browser, and the silver trim around that button works like up/down/L/R/ arrows. Very helpful when your scrolling through your list of movies. You can even start typing the name of the movie and it will go right to it (I use Media Browser to browse my movies).

The manual was also much better/helpful than the other model.

It worked without ANY delay/reception problems.

I also hooked it up to my xbox 360 and worked equally as well. Its nice to punch in the letter to redeem xbox points, instead of using the controller.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this to anyone. It does not have a laser pointer like the other one.

P.S. I will edit the post to include battery life when I use it more.

***UPDATE*** 6/22/11
Since I purchased it, I have only had to charge it once. I watch maybe 4 movies in a week, roughly, and have left it on a couple nights. Battery life is very good.

Sometimes it seems to lose the signal every now and then when waking from sleep. It will go into to sleep mode normally after about 10 minutes or so, like it should. The light on the top left goes to a yellow color. I would hit the lightbulb button on the top right and it would wake up and work (Light changed to green). Sometimes it doesn't come out of sleep and I have to hit the lightbulb button several times, and in rare instances I just turn it off and on (on the unit)and it connects. Still love it, and it will def raise some eyebrows when guests visit.

Favi Mini Keyboard (Black)
Favi Mini Keyboard (Black)
Offered by Hausbell
Price: $19.88
10 used & new from $12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars No Good, the bad reviews are true!, March 14, 2011
The range is terrible. Works within a couple feet but if I walk around in a 10 foot radius there are dead spots all over and the red flashing light starts blinking. If you disconnect the usb receiver and plug it back in it will work for a couple minutes, then the same thing happens. The mouse pad is terrible. Worse than any laptop. The pad is just too small. The movements are unresponsive and erratic and will take about 5 swipes to travel across your tv. Tried max mouse speed in pc control panel but it didn't help.

I do have a wireless mouse/keyboard but who doesn't have wireless stuff in their house? I use my pc with Windows media center 7 and I don't want to have to bring my mouse over to the couch every time. Couch is 4 feet away and this thing had trouble with connecting.

I'm going to try the other Rii device w/ blu tooth and the touch pad in the middle. Supposedly that touch pad is adjustable.

Didn't own enough to try out the battery life.

***UPDATE***
Go with the other one with the touchpad in the middle. (Superior Loftek Rii Touch N7 Mini Wireless Keyboard 2.4 Ghz Super Long Range (30m Max) Removable Battery Htpc Ipad with Connection Kits Full Qwerty Keyboard Adjustable Dpi Touchpad for Pc, Apple, Xbox360, Ps3)

Had it for 3 months now, love it. Check out my review of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2011 7:07 AM PDT

SANOXY® 5-in-1 Car Charger + Fm Transmitter / Holder Full Range Frequency Fm Transmitter Car Kit for Apple iPod (Black)
Offered by SPEED
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars You cannot beat this, February 14, 2011
Hands down, for $5-10 you cannot beat this. I use this in my Dodge Ram Rumble Bee 1500 p/u truck. It has a cig lighter right behind the column shifter. Being that the neck of this unit does come out a couple inches, It kept on hitting the shifter. The back of the unit has a hinge. Instead of having the neck swing down, I unscrewed it and made it so the neck goes up. I did have to twist the cig lighter insert around though. So now when it is plugged in the ipod is about 5" down from the cig lighter.

I have a 5th gen (U2 version) ipod and it fits in the clamp (with the ipod jacket on) snuggly. If you have a cellphone/any non-ipod mp3 player that uses the 1/8th jack, you can use the supplied cable to connect it to the unit so that it will work with the FM wireless transmitter.

FM wireless transmitter sound quality is ok. I use a tape cassette with the 1/8th jack into the headphone on the ipod and it sounds much better.

The unit will charge your ipod with the connected charger cable.

ipod charger cable must be plugged into the ipod for the remote to work. It has an LCD display on the top of the unit that digitally displays the radio station for the FM transmitter.
It also is the receiver for the remote.

This is really the only con I have found. You need to point the remote directly at the top of the unit, direct line of sight. You might need to press a couple times. If you cannot see the display on the top, then the remote will not work unless you hold it up in the air pointing down. Which will make you look silly. The remote has limited functionality, basically skip to the next track and volume up/down. The volume jumps are big too.

It's a bit of a PITA to unplug everything every time you get in & out of your car. And having the unit plugged in all the time might suggest (to anyone peering into your vehicle) that the ipod is stored inside your car. For trips it is a must have though, especially with the remote, and especially if your a "shuffle all" kind of person who hits "next track" all the time, like me.

Kikkerland Samurai Umbrella
Kikkerland Samurai Umbrella
Offered by GeeksHive, Inc.
Price: $34.66
29 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, A must have for sword fans., February 14, 2011
I wish the handle was rubber, it's like a hard plastic. Carbon Fiber spine, great quality, looks great, will hold up for a long time. Comes with a sheath so that you can sling it over your shoulder. While it's on there, the handle sticks up above your head. Like the other review said, it's sure to receive some strange looks from people when your walkin around with it. I work at a university and now I am second guessing it since it really does look like a sword when its in the sheath. A must have if you like katana's.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring [Blu-ray]
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Price: $7.99
84 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A review on the trilogy PICTURE QUALITY, December 1, 2010
If you read the reviews at hidefdigest and most of the reviews on here they will probably turn your mind about buying this. No, these aren't the extended editions, and yes I will buy the extended ones when they come out (eventually), making that my 4th time purchasing these movies. First the theatrical version dvd's, the extended dvd's, and the BR theatrical. It's the way it is, and if your impatient like me you will plunk down the coin. Being a big fan of movies these days is an expensive hobby.

Yes the quality of the first movie is not as great as the last 2. That does not mean it is bad though. I think the reviews are a bit harsh. It's not going to make to turn your head and recoil in disgust. It's just not up to the quality of other BR discs. The picture is soft at times and for me 90% of it looked like a regular DVD, with the other 10% being the eye-popping BR eye candy. Only on those certain sunlit scenes. For some reason it seems the detail is great when the camera is on Gimli. Like in a couple scenes when they are in the mines of Moria. You can really see the detail in his helmet. IMO, the sub-par quality did not hinder my enjoyment of the movie whatsoever, and it did not distract or call attention to itself. It just didn't have enough of those "Wow, look at that picture" moments.

The "2 Towers", much better. Here it is more of a 85/15, 85 being the eye-popping detail. As soon as I popped it in I said "Wow, this is how it is meant to look."

ROTK - soon.

I picked these up for $8 recently and they are worth it. At regular price of $15ish, skipping the first one and picking up the last 2 on BR would be a wise choice.

P.s. the DTS MA-HD ss, will definitely kick your butt. Most of my receivers' dynamic range compression options did nothing to lessen the range of loud explosions to soft talking. Bad for apt dwellers.

Sony KVL 40" 1080P (tv is in my review history)
ps3 slim
Pioneer vsx 1018 (also in reviews)
Klipsch Reference all around