Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Profile for Richard - SW Michigan > Reviews

Browse

Richard - SW Mic...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard - SW Michigan "mandmcollector" RSS Feed

Telestial Passport Plus International SIM Card with $10.00 Credit for 190 countries

4.0 out of 5 stars Once Working it was Great, April 1, 2013
I purchased this SIM card to use on a trip I was taking to Europe which would have me in Belgium, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands. A single country SIM would have been less per call but would have required four SIM cards. After researching the different Telestial pricing plans (Passport, Passport Plus, etc.) I settled on the Passport Plus.

I got the card very quickly and inserted it into my unlocked iPhone 4. Everything worked great. I quickly got the text giving me the U.S. telephone number for my account. I did some quick trials and the voice and data both worked without a problem. I then went online and set up an account, registered the card, and set up an auto-recharge to keep things working while overseas.

Once I landed in Belgium I turned on my "regular" cell phone (iPhone 5 w/AT&T) and got a signal. I then turned on my "travel" phone with the Telestial SIM but got No Service. I didn't have time to play with it so I put the phone away, took care of my business, and when on to Italy. I tried the Telestial SIM in Italy and still got the No Service message. I tried manually selecting a carrier (it did find several carrier signals), but it still would not get service. Again, I didn't have time to play with it so I finished my business in Italy and moved on to the next country.

In the third country I still count not get service. I tried switching SIM cards between my iPhone 4 and 5 and my AT&T SIM worked in both phones and my Telestial SIM worked in neither phone. I finally had a chance to e-mail Telestial with my problem. Very quickly I got a reply from their Customer Service. I was asked a few questions about what I had tried and I responded. Again, I got a very quick reply from Customer Service. I was advised to reset my network settings (Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings). I did that and the phone automatically connected to a network and had a good signal. About 10 seconds later it lost the network and I again got the No Service message. I went back to manually selecting the carrier and once I did that it connected and worked great through the rest of the trip.

I would have given this 5 stars if the little instruction book included a troubleshooting tip to reset the network settings. If it had I would have been able to be up and running quicker. Aside from that, their Customer Service was great. Even over Easter weekend they responded very quickly and helpfully to my e-mails. The service worked great once I reset the network settings and I've been very happy with the Telestial Passport Plus since.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2013 8:20 AM PDT

SPIGEN SGP SGP09514 Leather Pouch Crumena Case for iPhone 5/5S - Retail Packaging - Vegetable Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect - A Little Snug, October 9, 2012
I really like the way this case looks and how little it adds to the size of the phone since I always carry my phone in my front pocket. I'm hoping the case will stretch out a little over time, but at first it's a tight fit. If you have to take the phone out in a hurry to answer a call it's a struggle.

All that said, if you want a slim case which will protect your phone and still let you enjoy the slim design of a naked iPhone 5, this is a great choice.

R310 2.7-inch 140 degrees Dual Lens dash board camera car dvr black box video recorder + gps logger
Offered by super shop
Price: $58.88
13 used & new from $54.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Little Unit, August 26, 2012
I picked it up from the post office Friday (it came with postage due?) I had a chance to skim through the booklet Friday night and then put it in the car Saturday before heading out on some errands. It went up very easily and staying put. My unit came up in English so there was no fumbling through another language to set it up. I was able to finish the set up without looking back at the manual. My only set up issue was confusing the front and back cameras. This was quickly noticed in the screen when everyting was upside down and quickly fixed.

After a lot of driving on Saturday I finally had a chance to pull the SD card and watch some of the video on Sunday. The required video player isn't the best but it works fine. It provides options to view either camera by itself or both at the same time. It lets you switch between MPH and KPH. It let's you turn on or off the mapping feature. Most importantly though it lets you save the file to your computer so that you can use it with other programs if you decide you want to and can use the AVI format it's in.

My experience was that the video was good. Not good enough to read road signs or liscense plate numbers, but otherwise clear. It is important to keep your windshield clean or glare will affect the image. I thought the rear-facing camera provided a good image as well. I'd prefer a camera with a zoom lens to provide a better view out of the rear window as opposed to inside the car, but it's still a good image. I haven't played with the volume a lot, but my first few attempts had very low audio.

The GPS and Google map feature worked very well. It provided accurate location and speed information. I can't imagine needing more mapping information than it provides. If you intend to use this as evidence in case of an accident, keep in mind that if you use the GPS feature it will capture your speed. As long as you're not speeding at the time of the accident the video will help you. If you like to speed though you might want to think about not capturing the GPS information.

It looks like it creates a fairly large file size. I'm using a 32GB class 6 card. The video recording smoothly and without any choppiness. It's very easy to start a new file while driving to make it easier to identify important files you wish to keep and to reduce file size. As long as you lock important video files before it over-rights them a 32GB card should cover a lot of driving.

The only thing that bothers me a little is that I drive more than one vehicle. If the camera is installed nicely with the wires run out of the way and out of site it's not quick or easy to switch it from one vehicle to another. But then again, at this price it's probably cheaper to buy a second kit than to try to track down a second GPS and Power cord that could be left in the second vehicle.

Overall, after one weekend with the product I'm very happy with what the product does and how it does it for the money.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 10:14 AM PST

SAMSUNG-Compatible 3ACTIVE® 3D Glasses for 2010 'C' Series 3D TVs.
SAMSUNG-Compatible 3ACTIVE® 3D Glasses for 2010 'C' Series 3D TVs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordering More, October 17, 2011
I tried this out figuring if I didn't like it I'd take advantage of Amazon's great return policy. Instead of returnig it, I'm ordering more.

As said by others, these work great for much less than the Samsung glasses. The hard case offers much greater protection than the soft "case" Samsung provides. I'm using mine with a 2010 50" plasma and I can't find a single thing wrong with the combination.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2011 3:46 PM PST

GOgroove SENSE High-Fidelity 30-Pin iPod / iPhone Alarm Clock Speaker Dock - With Remote

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with It, October 17, 2011
I purchased this on a special to keep in my bedroom. It replaces just a standard recharging dock I had been using. I don't use the alarm clock function, but I do use this a lot to play music from my iPhone4. The sound is very good for the price.

I am not able to get my iPhone4 to fit on the connector with my case on. To keep things simple I purchased a short connector extender which works great and lets me keep my case on and still use the product.

I periodically get a message that the product is not optimized for use with my iPhone, but it doesn't seem to create any problems. The remote is handy for adjusting the volume, but it's a bit limited in being able to do a lot of menu adjustments. This bothered me at first, but once I realized that if I'm close enough to read the menus I'm close enough to use my finger on the iPhone screen instead of the remote.

All things considered, I'm very happy with the quality and capabilities for the price.

LifeSmart Click and Go Selectable Dumbbells with Matching Stand (5 to 30 Pounds)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy with Set, October 17, 2011
This is a very nice set of adjustable dumbbells and stand. The weight adjustment is easy seems secure. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to very hard use (like repeated dropping), but the quality seems very good for moderate use. I have a full set of individual dumbbells I use for hard workouts, but this works great to keep handy in a bedroom closet for quick workouts.

If you don't need or want the stand, there are other adjustable dumbbells sets on Amazon which are less expensive and have a greater range of adjustment, but this is a very good buy for the complete dumbbell and stand set.

Braun Series 3 32B Replacement Parts, Foil Head Shaver
Braun Series 3 32B Replacement Parts, Foil Head Shaver
Price: $19.71
52 used & new from $14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works, October 17, 2011
What can you say about a replacement electric razor blade? It works or it doesn't. This one works as long as you're very careful and order the correct one. There are several different replacement Series that look like they are the correct one, just ready carefully and order the correct one.

Bluray Player External USB Laptop Cd/dvdrw Burner
Bluray Player External USB Laptop Cd/dvdrw Burner
Offered by Power-Optical
Price: $43.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, August 17, 2011
I don't know how long this product will last as it doesn't seem the most robust product I ever used, but for now it works great.

I got the unit last night and immediately connected it to my Acer 11.6" netbook with Windows 7. It recognized it right away. I inserted a standard DVD and it started playing without any problems.

Then, for the heck of it, I put in a Blu Ray disc and as expected, nothing happened because I did not have any video player installed which would play Blu Ray discs. I did a quick internet search for free players which claim to work. I downloaded and tried a couple but none worked. I removed those programs and found the best price I could on the least expensive paid software. I ended up buying WinDVD Pro from Corel for $39.99 with immediate download. I downloaded it, ran it to make sure it worked, and popped back in a Blu Ray disc. This time the system recognized it and the software began playing it.

Because I'm pushing the limits of a netbook here the response times are little on the slow side. There's a good bit of delay between the system recognizing the Blu Ray and when it begins playing, but I'm not in a hurry so the delay is OK with me as long as it works. And it worked great.

I have not tried writing anything to the drive yet and I don't really expect to do any writing in the near future. I mostly use USB drives to move files around and really just wanted this to avoid the extra work of converting Blu Ray movies to a hard drive file for travel viewing. I'll still do that when I'm really concerned about traveling as light as possible, but when the extra size/weight of bringing this drive along isn't a problem it will be coming with me.

I need to find a good way to travel with the drive well protected to extend the life of it, but as long as it keeps working like it did last night I'm very happy with this purchase.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Low-End but Adequate, August 17, 2011
Just got the tripod so I haven't had a chance to travel or really use it yet, but first impressions are not bad. It's definitely a low-end product that probably won't hold up well to abuse or hard use, but for what it is I think I works.

It's a compact, lightweight tripod with a 50% reach and 3-way head movement. I would not suggest using it for a full-size SLR or video camera, but for smaller digital camcorders and compact cameras it's pretty stable. It doesn't have the smoothest panning, but then again, that's not what this is intended for.

If you want a light-duty, compact, lightweight tripod for group photos, self-timer use, etc., you can't go wrong with this unit at this price. If you only get a few uses from it over a year it's not bad.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple - Quick - Works, August 26, 2010
I never liked speakerphones and always thought I could "deal" with talking and holding the phone. Finally decided to give in and bought this unit based on the price and other reviews. Got it - Opened the box and charged the battery - Turned it on and it just plain worked exactly as it was supposed to. The voice prompts were great. It connected quickly to my phone and it quickly reconnects when I get back into the car. The unit does a great job of turning itself off if you leave it on and forget it when you leave the car. The range of the unit is great. Good enough that I've been in a restaurant when my phone rings and it's still connected to the unit in the car. No problem though with my iPhone 4 to just select the phone to answer instead.

The unit volume is a little low. If there is a lot of highway noise I'd recommend switching the volume to the radio to add more volume. Easy to do with this unit and with the voice prompts.

Overall a really good product for the price. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't need the caller id display on the phone. The audio announcement this unit provides is enough for me.