Profile for Dana > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dana RSS Feed

Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid, 60 Chewable Tablets
Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid, 60 Chewable Tablets
Price: $4.99
18 used & new from $3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Most palatable hairball treatment I've come across, February 19, 2012
So I haven't been using this long enough to be certain of a difference in frequency of hacked-up hairballs, but in the week I've been using it there's been no hairballs or barfing. The week before that we had three. Not a statistically significant difference yet, but I'm optimistic!

Even if it's only moderately effective, I will keep using it solely because all three of my cats love it! I was worried by previous reviews about the size, batch inconsistencies, etc., but the bottle I got was great. The pills are really easy to break up or crush, but after a couple days I realized I didn't even need to! I just give it to them whole and they chew it up like it's the most delicious treat they've ever had.

I chose to try this product because one of my cats, the long-hair who needs it most, absolutely would not touch any food in which even a drop of the petroleum/malt-based goo had been mixed in. (I tried (Hartz Hairball Remedy Plus Paste for Cats and Kittens and Laxatone - 4.25 ounce - Tuna Flavor ) The other two were ambivalent about the goos and I had to mix it up in wet food every night, an extra step that I'm glad to do away with! Now I just toss 3 pills on the floor and they eat 'em right up. My super-picky boy will even meow and stand up on his hind legs to beg for it! Glad I finally found something they like.

I will be ordering this again, and will update review if I come across a bad lot as mentioned in previous reviews.

Premium Edge Dry Food for Adult Cats, Healthy Weight Reduction and Control Formula, Chicken Flavor, 18-Pound
Price: $29.69
6 used & new from $29.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Product Comparison - Premium wins on Ingredients, Analysis and Price!, February 18, 2012
I'm going to preface this review by saying that my kitties are not picky about food. We've made sure to expose them to a variety of dry and wet foods since they were very young, and they are usually willing to try new things. That being said, they loved this food and took to it with no problems at all. I mixed it 50/50 with their old food (a mid-range name brand), but I didn't even need to.

I compared the ingredients and guaranteed analysis in Premium Edge to our current dry food, Purina One Hairball and also Taste of the Wild which I was considering purchasing as well. I found the ingredients in Premium Edge much better than Purina and, in my opinion, even a smidge better than Taste of the Wild. For example, PE's first 4 ingredients are: Chicken, chicken meal, peas, egg product (also a good source of protein for kitties). ToW's first 4 ingredients are: Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat. Purina's are: Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, poultry by-product meal. No comparison there. I'd much rather feed my cats a dry food that at least has some "real" chicken in it, although chicken meal isn't as bad as some people think it is -- it's just ground up meat and other bits like bone and tissue (which they would eat in a wild or raw diet anyway!) Then there's the guaranteed analysis to consider. More protein is always better, since cats are obligate carnivores and would not eat carbs if they had their choice. PE wins with 45% protein, followed by Tow at 42% then Purina One with only 34%.

And finally price... Price per pound based on Amazon price: Premium Edge 18 lb. bag was $1.46/lb., ToW 15 lb. bag was $2.26/lb., and Purina One was $1.59/lb. for 16 lb. bag. So again, Premium Edge came out on top. This is what I will be buying from now on, until I finally bite the bullet and move my brood to a wet food only or a full-on raw food diet.

Tasty Bite Good Korma Simmer Sauce, Heat & Eat, 7-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6)
Tasty Bite Good Korma Simmer Sauce, Heat & Eat, 7-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Yum yum!, August 23, 2011
I absolutely could not find a korma sauce at my local grocery store, even though it has a good ethnic selection. Bought this and couldn't be happier! Bought the 6-pack two months ago and I have to buy another pack today. I'm the type of cook who has to fiddle with anything that comes out of a box, so I add salt, pepper, cumin and garam masala as the sauce is simmering. Most Indian sauces are yogurt or cream based, so I also add cream cheese to give it a creamier feel. I think the extra spices and the cream cheese make the sauce perfect, but it is yummy right out of the package with no modifications. I usually just eat the sauce over rice [try [ASIN:B00269WUTC Tilda Basmati Rice, 10-Pound Bag]] but have also added chicken while the sauce is simmering and that is good too. It's not the quality you would get at a restaurant, but that's not what I expected so I'm happy.

Tilda Basmati Rice, 11-Pound Bag
Tilda Basmati Rice, 11-Pound Bag
Price: $24.99
16 used & new from $14.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Delish!, August 23, 2011
This is delicious! Better than some rice I've ordered in fine Indian restaurants. The flavor is delightful and I love that my apartment smells like Indian food when I'm cooking it! It cooks pretty quickly, quicker than generic grocery store white or brown rice. I don't know if this means anything about it's quality, but it is nice that it is done so quickly. It cooks up to a soft, medium or long grain and is fluffy. I can't say enough about the taste, texture, smell, etc.

Now as for the price and having to buy it in a 10 lb bag... I was a bit concerned about buying the 10 pound bag as I normally buy a 1 lb. bag of rice and I'm only cooking for two adults. This rice was so yummy that we went through a lot at first. Rice is shelf-stable for a long time so with eating rice once a week, I expect this will last 5-6 months. Plus the bag is a very sturdy plastic with a zipper to reclose the bag and keep it fresh. Also has a convenient carrying handle for taking it in and out of the cabinet. Very thoughtful packaging. The price when I bought was $1.86 per lb. for the 10 lb. bag. At my local big chain grocery store, the cheapest basmati rice is $1.97/lb. for a 10 lb. bag. If you buy a smaller bag you'll be paying $3-5 per lb. So this rice is a good deal.

Overall, this rice is delicious, convenient and cheap!

Hartz Hairball Remedy Plus Paste for Cats and Kittens, 2.5 Oz.
Hartz Hairball Remedy Plus Paste for Cats and Kittens, 2.5 Oz.
Price: $3.87
21 used & new from $3.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed experience/performance, August 23, 2011
We have three cats, two short- and one long-haired. We got this specifically for the long-haired cat and he was the only one who REFUSES to eat the stuff. The other two like it OK, so 66% of our cats will willingly eat it. I will force feed the long-haired cat (by rubbing it on his paws or with a syringe) once a week or so and he hasn't had any hair balls. I tried mixing it into wet food and he won't touch it, even though he will normally eat food with other meds (e.g. lysine) in it. I'll use this hairball remedy until it's gone, but then I will look for another product that my long-hair thinks tastes better.

3M Indoor Window Insulator Kit, 5-Window
3M Indoor Window Insulator Kit, 5-Window
Price: $18.17
58 used & new from $12.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, good performance, August 23, 2011
We live in a 1950s-era apartment building, so even though the windows are newer we were getting a serious draft. We even had maintenance come inspect the window to see if a piece of the seal or something was missing, but they said it was just a "normal draft." It was really frustrating because our bed was up against the window with the draft and we couldn't really move the bed elsewhere in the room due to closet doors, etc. The cold coming in the window woke us up a couple times.

Ordered this product not expecting it to make a huge difference, but it really did. We no longer felt the wind coming through the window OR the cold. It's very thin plastic and less expensive than other options, but it did the job for us. I didn't even bother with the heat shrinking step of the install process. I just slapped the plastic and tape on the wall. Problem solved. Gave it a 4 because I don't think you could reuse it. We have cats who are pretty curious and they would lean up against it and/or try to climb it, so near springtime one of them busted through the plastic. Not too concerned about that 'cause when you have pets you expect a little wear and tear on your stuff. I'm happy with this product and have already bought another kit for next winter.

SKIP BO Card Game
SKIP BO Card Game
Price: $9.99
65 used & new from $4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, August 23, 2011
This review is from: SKIP BO Card Game (Toy)
I've been playing this game for 20 years. I loved it when I was a kid and I love it now. It's not just a game of chance, there is some strategy to it. You can change the number of cards in your "get rid of to win" pile to make the game shorter or longer. It works great with 2 people or more. Some cards games get dull when there's only 2 people playing, but this game is fine for just 2 people.