Profile for Jadecat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 348

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jadecat RSS Feed (Lake Orion, MI United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Koryo Card Game
Koryo Card Game
Price: $15.23
45 used & new from $10.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what a card game should, not overly complicated, thought provoking and interesting artwork. It is family friendly., August 23, 2014
This review is from: Koryo Card Game (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Koryo clearly isn't your average game you will find in the store. I can see the game being a little hard to follow at first if you are new to card games beyond Uno or any of those other card games you find at your local big store. Still, it is worth the effort to keep playing as the depth and tactical-ness of it just get better as you go along. Kind of like riding a bike, once you start to understand the rules of slightly more complex games, the next game becomes easier to understand and figure out.

My teenage kids had no trouble grasping the game after a practice hand of it and they enjoyed it enough to play again. It is much more tactical with 2 players and gets a bit more random with 3 or 4. Still, it plays quickly (about 15 minutes) and doesn't bog down, so even if you fall behind by perhaps taking a calculated risk with your cards, the game won't last forever and you can try again.

There is a bit of shuffling for the game, and there are 63 cards, so card protectors are nice. I always hate it if one card gets a bend or something during game play. But the cards are of a decent, thick card stock, so careful play shouldn't hurt the cards.

The rule book is nice, it certainly does take a bit of concentration to read through it the first time and you will refer to it for the first few games. An invaluable website for all kinds of games is boardgamegeek.com. Thanks to them, I have way too many games and I am glad to see that this game is currently rated a 7.08/10, which is not shabby for those hard core games there.

Give the game a go, especially if you love that steam punk style, cards are gorgeous and game play will keep you coming back.

Timeline
Timeline
Price: $10.88
66 used & new from $9.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy rules, easy cleanup, no points to score, and you can actually learn something. Win/win kind of game., August 3, 2014
This review is from: Timeline (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Timeline is just an easy, educational and fun game. Rules are simple and you only have cards to play with. No keeping score, rolling dice or tokens to fiddle with. I first played the Diversity version with my 12 year old daughter and she thoroughly enjoyed it. So I purchased the Historical Events, and that went over very well also. I was given this version, Inventions, to review and it follows in the same path of the other 2 versions, just good, clean fun. Each version of the game includes about 109 cards, identical on the front and back except for a date that is printed on one side. If you decided to mix all the versions up, you can easily separate them again because the dates have different background colors. Blue for the inventions, Green for Diversity and Red for Historical events. There are even more versions to purchase than those 3. Personally, I favor the Historical Events as it is more interesting. I would rather my daughter know when Julius Caesar lived, than when the typewriter was invented. But still, they are all fun, and the games are cheap enough that you can get more than one.

Playing the games is a great before bedtime activity. Just sit on the floor, deal out the cards and start figuring out if your cards go to the left or right of the cards already played. Doesn't take up much space, and you should be able to complete a game in 5-10 minutes, depending on how tricky your cards are.

ZAQ Mini II Litemist Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser, White - (Battery or Micro Adapter Powered - not Included)
Offered by Voltage Converter Store
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a diffuser, yes everyone!, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Yeah, a cute little diffuser. Within the past year I have purchased 2 larger plug in diffusers, another ZAQ one and a Samyo. (The ZAQ one is much nicer too). This ZAQ Mini is about the size of a softball. At first I wasn't thrilled with the whole battery operation of it, but then it says that some cell phone charger adapters would work, and it really does. I was able to plug an adapter into the ZAQ and then into the USB port of computer, so pretty air all around me and my computer. What more could one want? It worked flawlessly, and the lights changing colors was a pleasant surprise. Of course if you don't want the lights, you can turn that function off. This unit does not hold a lot of water, so it clearly can't run as longer as the bigger units. So if you want one to run for several hours, get a different one, but this is nice for a bathroom or to just move around easily. The only thing I find vexing on this unit is removing the upper part to add water or wipe down. Yikes, it is hard to grip, fingers just can't grab a hold of it easily. There are certainly ways around it, you just don't want to tip it to remove in case the water inside goes down the wrong vent. Still, aromatherapy is awesome. I got a lot of nice blends from Edens Garden, they have them for sleep, for invigoration, for relaxation, for joy, peace, love, sensation, aphrodisiac (!). Really like them all and priced nice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 6:32 AM PDT

Five Star Hanging Locker Shelf, Red (72230)
Five Star Hanging Locker Shelf, Red (72230)
Price: $15.01
3 used & new from $15.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish this thing had come out earlier!!!, July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is long overdue in coming out. I also have put in those plastic locker shelves in my daughters skinny middle school locker, and way before the year is over, they somehow break and become useless. This hanging shelf is a big improvement. Books up higher is a much better option. The metal bars that hook over the shelf in the locker, yes you need a shelf in the locker!, they are strong and will not bend over the year. The width of the hanging shelf is about 5 inches, you can always squeeze it to make it smaller, so it should fit any locker. I think Five Star will make a killing on these things because they aren't wimpy and aren't overly expensive. Of course if schools made reasonable lockers, this wouldn't be necessary, but lockers these days need all the help for storage they can get.

Flying
Flying
by Megan Hart
Price: $11.82
59 used & new from $1.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Haven't ventured into this genre much at all, and this hasn't convinced me to stick around, June 30, 2014
This review is from: Flying (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually avoid any type of Harlequin romance related books, too soap opera-ish and dramatic for me. Still, the premise of Flying sounded intriguing, as many of us would like to disappear now and then for a weekend. Needless to say the book and storyline did not grab me. I actually put the book on hold 1/3 of the way through to read another book, and then came back to it. I didn't find the Stella character as someone I would root for, her choices to have gratuitous sex with strangers seemed almost pitiful and also dangerous to me. Or perhaps I am woefully behind the times. Her relationship with her son was odd, she kind of lost me when she decided she HAD to go out of town instead of stay with him for a particular weekend. She seemed a bit wrapped up in herself too much. The steamy scenes were okay, no other books I can compare them to.
I pretty much found it a decent story, it wasn't a book that I felt like I had to read another chapter to see what happened, it could wait until a later time. Needless to say, I will stick with other types of books I like better....maybe if I were younger though...

The Bees: A Novel
The Bees: A Novel
by Laline Paull
Price: $16.75
76 used & new from $6.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a unique story and perspective, does grab you, but a Hunger Games comparison?, June 28, 2014
This review is from: The Bees: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
An intriguing storyline and with such good reviews, I couldn't pass up the chance to read it. I did enjoy it, but it missed being a 5 star because I couldn't always form a mental picture of The Hive. That may be my fault, but I had a hard time envisioning all these rooms in the Hive and how all the inner chambers worked. Beehives just seem like a mass of bees crawling on top of eachother, so I admit I don't know much about beehives, and now they seem even more confusing. Plus, are bees really that cutthroat?? Who knew.

But as for the storyline and characters, that was very good. You rooted for Flora, despised the Sage and Hive police, and the book drew you in so you just had to read one more chapter. I found myself wanting to read the book, which indicates I liked it. I actually stopped another book halfway in it so that I could start this one. Not a good sign for the other book.

If you are into nature, find bees fascinating, then get this book ASAP. Hopefully it will make you change your perspective on the little buzzers. Heaven knows they are in enough trouble with all the pesticides out there. I also notice now that when I see a bunch of flowers, I look for bees on them, and imagine they are some of the brave foragers from a local hive. Almost makes me want to plant some more flowers for them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2014 7:35 PM PDT

PRIMAL PET FOODS 850180 Feline Beef/Salmon Nuggets for Pets, 3-Pound
PRIMAL PET FOODS 850180 Feline Beef/Salmon Nuggets for Pets, 3-Pound

3.0 out of 5 stars Bummed, ingredients good, but cats won't eat it, and they usually eat anything, June 3, 2014
I've got 4 cats and I try to feed them good food. They eat a variety of canned, dry, dehydrated, and raw. I figured they would have to love this, but 3 out of the 4 turned their noses up and the 4th ate it sparingly. I just gave her some more, and then within 5 minutes she threw up 3 times. Fun stuff! I can't knock the food, it should work, but it just doesn't. I did have success in the past with another flavor, chicken and salmon I think, but it was never loved by them. In contrast, Bravo makes 8 oz raw, frozen patties that are good for dogs and cats, and they all would scarf those up. Anyways, buy the sample pack first if you can, I am just happy that I have 3 dogs, and they will eat it up without vomiting.

Nexxus Titanium Plated Flat Iron, 1-Inch
Nexxus Titanium Plated Flat Iron, 1-Inch
Price: $75.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better irons in my collection, May 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having 2 daughters with wild hair, flat irons have been a part of our life for several years now. This one is one of the better irons. My 13 year old daughter who does her own hair, said she really liked this one and it has become her go to flat iron. I had been using a Rusk one with 1.5 inch plates, and I have to say it now feels clunky next to this Nexxus one. I am not overly awed with the digital display, and haven't figured out how to make it heat up to a higher degree than 345 when I turn it on. I find it a bit of a hassle to turn in on, wait for it to reach 345 and then I have to hit more buttons to make it go higher. Having the controls inside is not a problem for me, if you manage to repeatedly burn yourself turning it off, than perhaps you should find a safer way to straighten your hair. I generally set it to 374 to iron my hair, but I can never get it to look like the hair stylist does. The temp can go higher on it, but I just don't think it is the best thing for hair. It is nice looking, has a good fit and feel in your hand, and it seems to be easier to work into your hair. I was afraid the non coated iron parts would stick to my hair, but it doesn't do that all, slides just as smooth as all those ceramic coated ones out there.

Kyjen 2870 Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder Slow Feed Interactive Bloat Stop Dog Bowl, Large, Caribbean Blue Drop
Price: $10.62
19 used & new from $10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the look, size and usefulness of this "bowl", April 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great feeding tool at a great price. Not real fun to clean the slimy lickings off of it, but it is dishwasher safe. I don't really have dogs (3) that are gulpers, so this was more of a fun exercise thing for them. Plus I feed them a mixture of kibble, meat and water, and although that would clearly work in this bowl, it just gets messy. I like that it is a good size for large dogs, you could get their whole feedings in this bowl. Might be overkill for small dogs, but it would still work. I also think it is a great thing for cats, of which I have 4. They obviously can't stick their noses/tongues in far enough to get the food, but it makes them use their paws to fish the dry food out. With their un-busy lifestyle, they have plenty of time to fish kibble out of this bowl.

I would recommend this one over the other slow feeder, Northmate Interactive. That one almost looks painful to use.
And remember, you shouldn't free feed your dog, have scheduled feeding times for them at least twice a day.

Speedminton S65 Badminton Set
Speedminton S65 Badminton Set
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedminton is a blast! And counts as exercise., March 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Forget badminton. With speedminton, if you play it right, you will work up a sweat. The racquets are much more sturdier than badminton ones, but not as bulky as tennis racquets. I have spent many an hour playing with my kids and a neighbor. You can really whack the birdie with these racquets. A tennis court size playing field is about right, although you play with a net (imaginary one for me) that is higher. You usually loft the birdie up high instead of doing low shots. You will get some good exercise moving to hit the birdie and swinging with almost full force. So nice that you can play on grass, sand, cement, almost anywhere. I never play with a defined court, just do a lot of hitting back and forth. With the kids, we are lucky to get 10-15 hits in a row, with a good player, you can easily go 40-50 till someone makes a mistake. Can't recommend this game/sport enough. The birdies are much sturdier and heavier than badminton ones, they fly great and when you hit the sweet spot on the racquet, you know it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20