Profile for Scott Dunn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott Dunn "Leadership, Agile, and Strengths Evangelist" RSS Feed (Yorba Linda, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Scary Close: Dropping the Act and Finding True Intimacy
Scary Close: Dropping the Act and Finding True Intimacy
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A More Thoughtful, Deeper Miller, July 2, 2015
I have read most of Miller's books, but this latest has taken a wonderful, slower, deeper course, following the truths he discovered about story lines when writing A Million Miles. He's still an enjoyable, insightful and funny read on this book all about self and relationships. Highly recommend.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, in Both Ways. Stopped Working in 3 Months., December 27, 2012
Cheap is as cheap does. Stopped working within 3 months. I suppose one could order 4 of these to cover a year. The next one to replace it was genuine Apple. IMO, not worth the money saved. :-/

Bible
Bible
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars best bible reading app, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Bible (App)
maybe blueletter is better for study, but this app enabled me to read the entire Bible for for the first time, in a year, with one of their many reading plans. whether on my Kindle fire or the web, I can always quickly get to my next reading, as well as highlight, make notes and share.

The Home Schooling Father
The Home Schooling Father
by Michael P. Farris
96 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, but Not Landmark, January 2, 2011
Even if not homeschooling your kids, I think every father should read this. I was very, very convicted in regards to my ownership of my kid's education (especially spiritually), and leadership in my family. A very quick read. It lays out some great outlines and practical tips. I will say that the author's current job and career as a lawyer in education comes through strongly. I would have liked to have seen other well known or respected thought leaders or authors referenced or even mentioned. That might make the book more comprehensive and thorough.

Revolution
Revolution
by George Barna
Price: $15.21
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Possible to Grow Outside the Church Walls?, June 29, 2008
This review is from: Revolution (Hardcover)
Revolution was recommended to me by someone I respect, and I wouldn't have read it otherwise. Where I thought it would be a rah-rah, "just get out there and be different...somehow", all-fluff-no-stuff book, it was scarily different. I could never make the connection of how Barna, a Christian Gallup-type pollster, could put out a vision-casting, fiery call to the people, but it's because he _does_ see the numbers that lit the fire for him and this call. The statistics on pp 30 - 36 alone are worth the price of the book. I haven't been so convicted about the reality of my spiritual condition in many, many years. How much am I worshiping, serving, giving, witnessing, reading the bible, leading my family's spiritual growth? Do these activities have to be cordoned or the responsibility of the church. It's the same issue of parent who see the school system responsible for their child's education, rather than the parent responsible and the school as a vehicle and help to that goal. And the paradigm shift Barna begs we make, and the weight of most of the book, is that our focus is not that church is enough, but that Jesus is. Leaders I love and respect say "The church is the hope of the world," and in the past I repeated it. Not I see that Jesus is the hope of the world, and we make a difference for Him in every way _we_ can, not limited to every way that church can, for we ourselves _are_ the Church. If nothing else, read the book to see the reality of the abysmal state of the average Christian and the statistics of some phenomenal success and growth of Christian work occurring outside the traditional church walls.

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity
by WM. Paul Young
Price: $10.23
2811 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loss and Redemption, June 24, 2008
There's not adequate words to describe how powerful The Shack is. The new view on how we see and experience life, relationships, grief, faith, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit would be refreshing enough, but it's woven well through a emotional story that carries you through a transformational experience. I highly recommend this to Christians, seekers, and those trying to cope with loss. It walks one through all the difficult issues of faith, loss (despair, anger, resentment, forgiveness, hope), acceptance and love in such a careful and conversational way so as to bring the user along with the character's understanding and growth. The Shack is wonderful. It brought me to tears several times, changed the paradigm of my relationship with God and it changed me.

Agile Software Development with Scrum (Series in Agile Software Development)
Agile Software Development with Scrum (Series in Agile Software Development)
by Ken Schwaber
Price: $37.85
75 used & new from $4.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Probably Not the Best for You, June 18, 2008
ASDS is a very good book, but only for the few who want to be Scrum experts. The material is thorough, and not necessarily easy to get through, in part because the Schwaber and Beedle walk through every part of Scrum in detail, as well as cover situations that likely don't apply to most, and they even go through philosophical views that some may care little about. To be sure, there are gems in the book, and I learned a few important points, but I have been to ScrumMaster certification training, read two other agile books, and been mentored by a CSM/PMP. I feel the book only moved me from 80% comfort level with Scrum to 85%. If you are a consultant managing projects, or you want to teach, coach or train in this area, read the book. If you a internal project manager,product manager, or IT manager, I recommend you get Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (The Agile Software Development Series)and read the section on Scrum. It's simpler, cleaner, and the rest of the book gives good background to agile and options you may want to consider. If you are a team or development lead, or the senior developer, get Agile Project Management with Scrum (Microsoft Professional). It's an even easier read, focussed solely on Scrum and gives lots of enjoyable stories of real situations the author went through, good and bad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2009 9:39 AM PST

Sunsets & Sushi
Sunsets & Sushi
Offered by Collide Records
Price: $13.99
56 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Downtempo Worshop - Nice Job, Crowder!, October 25, 2006
This review is from: Sunsets & Sushi (Audio CD)
I love DCB, have Illuminate, Can You Hear Us and two Passion albums. As someone who also appreciates downtempo (think Moby, BBC Blue Room, or new wave turning 40), I thought this was fresh, new and still worship-full. I keep this on while working, cleaning the house, driving. Even my Third Day loving wife thinks its great. And the kids...well, they keep coming over to the stereo and turning up. At work, I leant it to our spike-haired, retro-black-glasses-wearing graphic designer and he loved it. Worship music to him had always been 'boring.' This CD is certainly not.

Bodytrends Fitness ResistanceTubes
Bodytrends Fitness ResistanceTubes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Simple Product, May 24, 2004
I've been looking for strength conditioning at home, and I've found it! I am somewhat muscular, so just doing pushups (used to do a 100\night) or lifting gallon water jugs doesn't do it, but this does.
If get this band (mine's the extra heavy) snug, I have to work to crank out 6-7 pushups! I've also found that I can get great curls out of it, and even some shoulder exercises. Afterwards I just coil it up and stow it in a tiny spot in my closet, totally out of the way.
Very happy with the product!

Cloudcuckooland
Cloudcuckooland
92 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Infectious pop with added depth and range, July 13, 1999
This review is from: Cloudcuckooland (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because of the song 'Pure,' immediately fell in love with 'All I Want,' and grew in appreciation of almost every song afterwards. There are songs full of energy, songs of reflection, and songs for sadder times.

Page: 1 | 2