Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Alexson Lim > Reviews

Browse

Alexson Lim's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alexson Lim RSS Feed (Long Beach, CA)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Snug fit, but works like original, November 14, 2012
I recommend this to anyone with the new iphone/ipad. Spare wires don't hurt, especially at 1/3 the cost of Apple's OEM.
- The snug fit is alarming at first, but actually feels like a more sturdy connection than the original cable.
- Worked with a plethora of A/C adaptors, both mac and pc, and a car USB-interface.
- Charge and sync times unchanged.
- Wire profile and texture matches original.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2012 8:45 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars After 3 weeks of extensive use..., November 29, 2011
-4.5 stars-

I use these daily and have pretty much taken them everywhere: 6-hour amtrak ride to so-cal (from san luis obispo), 8-hour computer sessions, biking around campus, I even wear these to sleep sometime. So after 3 weeks, I feel I can finally provide an honest review:

Design
This is probably the biggest reason why I (and I would imagine most other people) bought these and not alternative brands like Grado or Sennheiser. These look and feel great. The glossy finish looks great and the material is easy to wipe clean. The way these fold up is interesting and something I haven't seen on other full-size and on-ear headphones. They fit nicely in the main compartment of my Case Logic NOXB-114 Corvus 14 to 15-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black).

Sound
Although these took some time to get used to, I find myself very satisfied with the sound. I listen to rock, hip hop and some pop music (my current favorites are Band of Horses, Vampire Weekend, and Foster the People). At first, they sound very bass-heavy, but the more time I spent listening to these on a flat equalizer, the more my ears began to adjust and appreciate the of sound the deeper lows with the moderate highs and mids. The earpads make a great connection with your ears, making passive noise cancellation pretty good when I'm in the lab or library. Some would say you can find alternative on-ears with better sound - like Grado Prestige Series SR225i Headphones - but again, I am satisfied with the Solo HD.

Construction and Durability
The construction of the Solo HD is definitely an improvement over the previous model (from the complaints I've seen). If you take care of your stuff (which you should, considering you're investing $180-200 in headphones), you shouldn't have a problem with these breaking. Just keep in mind they are primarily plastic and have an internal metal band for support, making them very bendable. These come with a nice case and sturdy, thick cords that do not tangle easily and firmly connect to your music device and the headset.

Comfort
The earpads on these are extremely soft. What I enjoy is the fact that these do not put too much pressure around your head. I have 8-12 hour sessions with these while designing on the computer, and my ears are comfortable for a solid 5-6 hours before feeling sore (from the fact that my eardrums need a break). I have the MEElectronics HT-21 Travel Lightweight Headphone with Swivel Cups, Adjustable Foldable Headband (Black) and although they are great for what you pay for, they start to feel uncomfortable after 2 hours. I also own the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones since 2007 (which are full-size headphones) and these make my head feel hot after 2-3 hours of listening. I'm not sure if my experience makes my opinion the most informed, but I do believe these headphones are one of the most comfortable out there.

Controltalk
With a 4th generation iPod Nano, all of the controltalk music functions work. I own the HTC Inspire 4G Android Phone (AT&T) without the expectation for any features to work. However, these do work if you press once to answer or make a call (to the most recent caller) and double-press to end a call (the volume controls did not work with the phone).

Conclusion
I bought these with the expectation to try these for a couple of weeks before deciding if they were worth it (Amazon has a great return policy). These aren't for everyone - many people find them over-priced and most audiophiles loathe Beats by Dre in general. But after 3 weeks of extensive use, I am definitely glad I bought these for their comfort, style, and quality. PLEASE buy from an authorized dealer to ensure you get an authentic headset. The only way to get the 1-year warranty from Monster is to buy from authorized resellers - like Amazon and not from the third party sellers on Amazon.com.

HTC Inspire 4G Android Phone, Black (AT&T)
HTC Inspire 4G Android Phone, Black (AT&T)
2 used & new from $38.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful phone, good price, March 4, 2011
2 weeks into use, I've got to say I'm very satisfied. This is a powerful phone for only $50-$100 at various retailers.

What's nice:
- Solid, high quality feel (and I actually like the fact that it has some weight).
- Beautiful U.I. with the most recent HTC Sense update.
- Maps is pre-cached, helps with navigation and in areas with bad reception (welcome to at&t!).
- Great hardware, I have not had any issues with lag or freezing. Pulse is the only app I've had to force-quit (twice).

My advice to get the most out of this device:
- Upgrade your data plan to $25/month for 2GB. I went through 140MB on the first day (downloading apps, customizing, and setting up the device).
- If you are having difficulty opening the battery door, get your fingernail right underneath the edge of the battery cover near the bottom of the volume rocker and pull away from device like you are trying to break it off (It pops-off rather than slide-off like the SD/SIM card cover). After the second time opening the battery door, it comes off pretty easily.
- If you're having "unsuccessful installations" of apps from the app market, a workaround is to go to settings>SD & phone storage > Unmount SD card. Then go back to the market and the app(s) should install. Go back to the same settings window to mount your SD card again.
- Download "Rockplayer Lite" for video playback - It plays nearly all formats (and the stock video player has issues playing back large and .avi files).
- Download "doubletwist" on your Mac or PC to sync your iTunes, photos, and videos (I have a Mac and have no issues syncing).
- Buy an extra, generic battery from eBay (I got one for only $3.37 and is "rated at 1600mAh". After using, it lasts about as long as the stock battery).
- Buy a Skinomi screen protector for $10 on Amazon. For touch-screens, it feels less intrusive than Zagg's Invisible-shields and offers the same protection.
- If you are looking for a case, you can find many options if you search Amazon and eBay for "HTC Desire HD Case" (the original, international model of this phone).

Notes:
- I usually get a full day's worth of charge on the battery with moderate use (I charge in the evenings, not overnight).
- The large screen makes typing on the on-screen keyboard great (I've owned 2 blackberry curves for 4 years prior to this device and was hesitant to try a phone without a physical keyboard).
- Using contacts/mail/talk/reader/voice from Google really helps this device shine in terms of functionality and ease of use.
- I didn't buy this phone expecting great "4G speeds" from at&t's HSPA+ network, and after using it, I haven't noticed any difference from 3G phones (go figure...).

***Update:***
Almost 2 months with the phone and still very happy with the device. I've had the chance to (unsuccessfully) root my phone and (successfully) sideload apps.

Here's few more things to get the most out of your device:
- Check Gizmodo for "The Best Apps" (updated every month)
- There are guides to install sideloaded apps (workaround AT&T's block, to install .apk files), apps from the Amazon App Store, and Swype - all are available on Android Central forums. Very easy to search for.
- Everything you need to root can be found just by searching for "Inspire 4G" on the xda-developers site.

Items of note:
- Save your battery: turn off auto-sync and limit the amount of widgets you use on your home screens.
- With auto-sync on hourly intervals and heavy messaging/internet browsing, I went through 480Mb without wifi over 1 week.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 3:54 PM PST