Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Ramirez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day
Profile for Paul O'Connor > Reviews

Browse

Paul O'Connor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 101

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul O'Connor RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Dawn of the Zeds - States of Siege TM #9 - Sci Fi Zombie Solitaire Boxed Board Game

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good solitaire game, May 19, 2015
This is a very complex game and the rules and map are a bit difficult to understand at first but it is well worth the effort. The number of options and decisions looks overwhelming but it isn't. The best way to learn the game is to take it in stages, starting with the simplest and working your way up to the highest level and longest lasting scenario.

Everything I've seen about the third edition of the game suggests it is going to be outstanding but they aren't there yet so you might as well buy and play this one to keep yourself entertained until the next version is ready.

Economy Super Spray Clean Amazing Shower Head 2.5 Gpm
Economy Super Spray Clean Amazing Shower Head 2.5 Gpm

5.0 out of 5 stars This shower head is amazing, May 19, 2015
I really cannot say enough good things about this shower head. I ran across a link to this shower head while I was looking at reviews for other shower heads that I didn't think would work. All of them had moving parts, lots of whiz-bang features, and high prices. This one is simple and will continue working long after the others have broken down.

The difference in water flow between what had been installed before and this shower head is almost unbelievable; it completely changed our level of satisfaction with our bathroom remodel project by itself.

Dawn of the Zeds expansion #1: The Director's Cut Clamshell
Dawn of the Zeds expansion #1: The Director's Cut Clamshell
Offered by Victory Point Games
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, April 12, 2015
A marvelous addition to an already very good game. Adds quite a few options for a very small price. Too bad it is out of print; but I expect the 3rd edition of Dawn of the Zeds to include all the best parts of this expansion.

Space Empires: Close Encounters Expansion
Space Empires: Close Encounters Expansion
Offered by AMA INC
Price: $46.66
22 used & new from $34.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The great got greater, April 12, 2015
The original Space Empires game did a nice job of giving the players a well-balanced well-designed war game experience but each side started off exactly the same. Close Encounters has changed that, now each side has an Empire Advantage that makes their race unique. Some of the advantages drastically change the how you play the game. Most advantages are not self-evident as the game starts so some detective work is in order. This is huge, but not everything.

The non-player alien races also have specialized technology and conquering them gives you more advantages. the awe-inspiring Titans (imagine facing a fleet of Death Stars, hope you brought extra ammo), ground combat, and crew experience have all vastly improved the gameplay while only moderately increasing the complexity of the game design.

Finally, there are more scenarios and they cover a wider variety of options. This is truly a massive upgrade to a game that was already very good.

Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Infantry Division
Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Infantry Division
Offered by AMA INC
Price: $47.36
7 used & new from $33.29

4.0 out of 5 stars The sum isn't quite as good as the parts, March 28, 2015
As another reviewer noted, this game is full of really interesting new mechanics and I had waited for quite a while to receive the game. The game's designer had created the brilliant Combat Commander series and I thought he could really do this new scale justice. I was not disappointed in the mechanics but the game just doesn't flow as smoothly as his other creations and feels a bit nit-picky with multiple die rolls required potentially required for every squad in the game.

I much prefer this game to such venerable predecessors as Panzer Blitz and other games from the late 60's to the early 80's but it didn't work as well as Combat Commander refashioned the Squad Leader series.

Ghost of a Rose
Ghost of a Rose
30 used & new from $2.24

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best?, February 5, 2015
This review is from: Ghost of a Rose (Audio CD)
This is a great album from my favorite group. The lyrics are haunting and the music is unforgettable. I am well on my way towards wearing out the CD.

Villainous Vikings - Exploration and Conquest Boxed Board Game
Villainous Vikings - Exploration and Conquest Boxed Board Game
Offered by Victory Point Games
Price: $36.99
5 used & new from $33.28

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected pleasure, February 5, 2015
This is a brilliant little gem of a game. It looks like a simple Euro game but it plays much more like a wargame. The level of decision making is far greater than you'd expect. The endgame disappoints a little bit because the battle of Ragnarok, while interesting and different, isn't weighted appropriately in the VP (Valhalla Points) award. You'll also need to keep the rules handy the first few games because there are a few fairly small nit-picky aspects to the game.

The game plays very fast (45-75 minutes), the artwork is appropriate and appealing, the component quality is good. Altogether, this is a winner from the "little game company that could."

Dykstra'S War
Dykstra'S War
by Jeffery D. Kooistra
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars This was well done and thoroughly enjoyed. Second, December 25, 2014
This book is a strange cross-section of different influences. First, it is basically a set of very enhanced short stories melded together. I had read the original stories in Analog and had wondered what happened in between the stories. This was well done and thoroughly enjoyed.

Second, it is a throwback to the grand old days of Sci-fi where the hero is an engineer or scientist and is wrestling with really big questions. Not so good as I have enjoyed the fact that Sci-Fi has matured beyond the always-right-but-ignored superhero main character.

Third, it adds a certain religious taste to Sci-Fi. I didn't hate it as much as other reviewers but I have to admit that a discussion or souls (or lack of them) in a hard sci-fi setting was a bit jarring. Fourth is a set of linked science fiction mysteries about the origin and nature of the aliens. This ties directly into the discussion of souls. I thought the evidence pointed in a particular direction and was a bit sad when the author took it in a totally different but reasonable direction. That's the breaks, the author did the work of writing the story and has the final say over the direction of the story.

Fifth, almost as jarring as the discussion of souls was the character development over the entire book. This doesn't normally happen this sub-genre but it was well handled and added quite a lot to my enjoyment of the story.

I'm a bit sad that this book appears to be the only one written by this author. Overall he did a good job and he deserved a chance to write something else.

Dell Tablet Keyboard - Mobile for Venue 11 Pro (5J36C)
Dell Tablet Keyboard - Mobile for Venue 11 Pro (5J36C)
Price: $109.99
36 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great addition to a truly great product, August 23, 2014
I love this keyboard! It turned my already great tablet into a very solid laptop replacement and allowed me to sell my desktop computer as well. The extra battery life is just great.

My single biggest concern about this keyboard is that I am pounding pretty hard on it and the touchpad and I do not yet know how well it will deal with the continual use.

As for the people who complain that it adds weight to an already hefty tablet; I say, "get over it." Don't think of this as an ultra-heavy tablet. Think of it as a really small and portable desktop with an almost unbelievable battery.

I REALLY love the lack of wires and clutter with this device.

Dell Venue 11 Pro Pro11i-2501BLK 10.8-Inch Tablet 2013 Model
Dell Venue 11 Pro Pro11i-2501BLK 10.8-Inch Tablet 2013 Model
Offered by Amazing Deals Daily
Price: $415.98
26 used & new from $179.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine machine., August 23, 2014
this review is for the Dell Venue Pro 11 (model 5130) with the Atom Z3770 (aka BayTrail, recently updated to Z3775) 2.4 GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 64GB.

Until recently, I had 3 devices. An Apple iPad2 (16 GB Wi-Fi only) for fun (it was a gift), a Windows 7 laptop for my mobile needs, and a traditional desktop as my main computer.

The problems I kept encountering were:
- I always seemed to need something that was on the other computer.
- I'm getting older and my vision isn't a good as it used to be. This was particularly troublesome with the iPad2
- My laptop is getting older and I needed to replace it before it died

After considerable hunting around, I settled on this tablet (which was a shock because I had totally dismissed the idea of a Windows 8.1 tablet earlier). It has replaced all of the other machines and made a big expensive computer desk obsolete.
- Because I only have one machine, I never have problems with needing something on another computer.
- The screen is small but the resolution is excellent. Because the device is so light and portable, I can have always have the screen at the ideal distance for me to see what is on the screen. Because the Windows 8.1 OS is so good at expanding things through a couple of gestures, I can expand things I want to see in greater detail with very little effort.
- I was extremely skeptical that a tablet chip with only 2 GB of RAM would meet my needs but the Windows 8.1 OS is excellent and I've only had a couple of minor problems

Failings:
- The onboard virtual keyboard is pretty awful for extended use (for which it was not designed). Get the attachable keyboard with the extra battery. It is awesome even if it makes the tablet heavier
- My original idea of using the dock for my big 22 inch monitor did not work. The issue is a kind-of-well-documented compatibility problem between VGA monitor adaptors (the dock only accepts HDMI and DisplayPort) and the dock. This is unfortunate (see below) but is not a deal breaker for me. It might be for you
- 64 GB of disk space is not adequate for the Steam games I was playing. You only have 30 GB of disk space after Windows 8.1 is loaded and X-Com alone requires 13 GB. I suspect that the video, sound, and processor would also have been lucky to handle X-Com. I don't need Steam games, I've got far too many ways to waste time without them, but other people might have other priorities.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11