Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele All-New Amazon Fire TV egg_2015 Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Grocery HTL
Profile for Fisherman Dan > Reviews

Fisherman Dan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Fisherman Dan RSS Feed (Richmond, VA)

Canon EF 25 II Extension Tube for EOS Digital Cameras
Canon EF 25 II Extension Tube for EOS Digital Cameras
Price: $134.00
15 used & new from $71.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative for close up work., October 4, 2010
I've been debating getting a macro lens for quite a while - mainly for taking close up shots of things to list for sale. Folks want to see details that you really can't capture without getting up close.

Like others have said, this is basically an empty ring that passes info from the lens to camera and vice versa. Although autofocus "works" it doesn't work great. The lens really has a dramatically reduced focusing distance. If you're not within the appropriate distance the autofocus doesn't stand a chance. So you move the camera until you're within the range of focus and then either autofocus or do it manually. Since the stuff I'm photographing isn't moving I just manually focus.

I was really surprised by how much versatility I could get from my 100-400 lens. Adjusting the aperture also had dramatic effect.

If you don't want to worry about keeping an exact distance between your subject and your camera then you'll probably want to consider a true macro lens. However, if you're willing to move your camera into focusing distance (dependent upon the focal length of your lens) - then this will give you some interesting flexibility for very little cost.

Fey 31005 Perfect Match Custom Fit Chrome Replacement Rear Bumper with Mounting Brackets
Offered by Everything-Aftermarket
Price: $306.14
24 used & new from $306.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked like a charm, October 4, 2010
I bought this to replace the bumper on my 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4. 13 years and it started to rust through. This item showed up in a well packaged box with all the hardware and brackets needed to install it. Really, the hardest part of the install was breaking loose the six rusted bolts from the old bumper to get it off the truck frame. Once that was done you just install the supplied backets on the new bumper using the old bumper as a visual guide and then mount the assembly back on the frame in the six bolt locations originally used. Looks just like new.

It's pretty heavy though. I was able to do it myself but a helper would have been handy.

Hopefully I'll get 13 more years out of this one too.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Full Frame DSLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Full Frame DSLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by BUYFULLHD
Price: $2,299.99
73 used & new from $890.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Upgraded - Glad I Did, March 5, 2010
I've been looking at the Canon 5D Mark II for a long time - since before it came out in late 2008. It's taken a while but I finally pulled the trigger.

My first Canon SLR was the EOS 650 - the autofocus SLR that "started it all". Then in early 2000's I got the Digital Rebel, then an XTi and quickly after that the Canon 40D.

I've liked all the digital SLR's I've used to date but only the 40D reminded me of the build quality and "heft" that my original 650 had. And although you get used to it, the 1.6 crop factor of the sensor size is really a big difference on the wide-angle side.

Over time I also upgraded my lenses to the 17-40 F4L, the 24-105 F4L, the 70-200 F2.8L and the 100-300 F4.5-5.6L - with IS in all but the 17-40.

I guess I'd call myself an "advanced amateur". My usual approach to photography is to compose a good shot and then crop later to a better composition to get my "keepers".

With the 40D and my outfit of lenses I can pretty much do it all - especially on the telephoto side. However, I noticed that when you crop significantly a 10.1MP image, the end result can have significantly reduced image quality.

So - I determined a little more megapixels to work with would be helpful.

Next, the 40D's max ISO is 1600 but at 800 the noise can be a bit of a distraction. The simple solution is to stay below 800 but that requires a flash or photos of stationary objects in darker settings.

So - I determined that something with better light sensitivity would be helpful.

I noticed that some of my lenses were sharper than others on the 40D. I sent the body to Canon with my 24-105 to get the focusing "matched" and the results were good. But it was a one-size fits all solution.

So - I determined that something that offered lens microadjustment would be helpful.

I watched and waited patiently for the "brouhaha" of enthusiam for the 5D MarkII to settle down as I'm not the sort of sucker that pays more than MSRP for anything. I knew my time would come, I'd get my 5DMarkII - even if my wife said no. Now the MSRP is $200 less!

Finally, along comes this blasted Canon 7D to totally ruin my plan. It solves my megapixel issue, it solves my ISO issue, it has lens microadjustment (as does the 50D) it even offers an advanced video capability and "new and improved" autofocusing system. And it's $800+ less expensive. What a quandary.... now what?

With much consternation and angst I debated over and over the 7D or 5DMII. On the one hand, on the other had - you know the drill. Is the 5DMII worth it?

I put my 17-40 lens on the 40D and then on my EOS650 and like I said - the difference is huge between a full frame and cropped sensor. I'm not a video-enthusiast and I'm not really sure what the big deal is about "24p" vs "30p" so that wasn't too important. I believe with autofocusing - "it's not the arrow, it's the indian" and unless something's out of wack your images should be focused or you're making a mistake.

So, I took the plunge and purchased the 5D Mark II.

It's awesome.

The look and feel is very EOS-like. Not too different than my 40D - probably a little better in fact. I like the Creative Auto mode a lot and the menu on the LCD is great.

The ISO range is totally worth it. I take shots routinely at 3200 and they look like 400 on the 40D (very minimal noise / graininess). When I use a flash - the results are amazing.

I microadjusted the camera for all the lenses I own, and as expected the settings for each were slightly different. Now my images are spot-on, unless I screw up (again - it's not the arrow, it's the indian).

To top it all off - Canon is coming out with a firmware update to add 24p (et al) to the 5DMark II.

The Live-view mode is much simpler than on the 40D and focusing is very easy.

The 21 Megapixels is way more than I really need but when I crop my images I get great results so I'm delighted there. I delete images I don't like so my storage constraints are limited.

Finally - the full-frame sensor gives me all the image my considerable lens investment can provide and offers me opportunity on the wide angle side that the 7D couldn't. It's a big deal and not to be discounted (although you can get an EFS 10-22 to make up for it on a cropped body).

I'm sure the 7D is an awesome camera too and I bet the autofocus system is an improvement. However - if you're like me, you've got great lenses, you've been patiently waiting for the hysteria to calm down, and you're ready to change camera bodies then I totally recommend going full frame and getting the 5D Mark II.

Canon TC-DC58C Tele Converter Lens for Canon A650IS, G7 & G9 Digital Cameras
Canon TC-DC58C Tele Converter Lens for Canon A650IS, G7 & G9 Digital Cameras
7 used & new from $38.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Strap this on and shoot the moon, July 11, 2008
I was a little skeptical when I purchased this lens for my G9. Partly because the camera is about the same size, if not smaller and also because I have a very capable DSLR with great lenses too.

In the end, I'm very happy with it. It's easy to put on and take off... just screws right onto the necessary converter. It looks a little funny connected to the camera but no more than the pros look with their 800MM lenses at the super bowl (just a much smaller scale).

You need to know that this basically just extends the focal lenth by 2X at the high end. It doesn't make the wide angle half as wide (like making a 35MM a 70mm). So at the wider angles it's like looking through a tunnel with the image in the center of a dark tube. But once you get toward the telephoto range you "zoom out" of the tunnel and get the full effect of the lens.

It works complaints and gives you a 400MM capability on the G9.

Stofen Omni-Bounce OM-EW for Canon 430EX flash diffuser
Stofen Omni-Bounce OM-EW for Canon 430EX flash diffuser
Offered by Wholesale Memory
Price: $12.49
14 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes the edge of flash shots, July 11, 2008
I like natural light shots best but sometimes you really need a flash to take a shot. However, a strong external flash like a Canon 430 EX or 580EX can make taking good medium to close range shots a challenge... redeye, lots of shadows, etc.

I tend to bounce flash most of the time and that helps to reduce the problems somewhat. But even with that, sometimes bounce flashing is impractical (like outside). I've often resorted to rubberbanding a tissue over the flash so I thought perhaps a diffuser would do the trick.

There are lots of options out there but I like the Sto-Fen diffuser since it's simple, inexpensive and small. It does a good job of softening and spreading the light without making you look like you should be shooting a wedding.

It couldn't be simpler - just slip it on and bounce the flash. The camera and flash take care of the rest.

Canon PowerShot G9 12.1MP Digital Camera with 6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom
Canon PowerShot G9 12.1MP Digital Camera with 6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom
31 used & new from $110.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Option when you don't want to carry your DSLR, July 11, 2008
I've got a nice Canon DSLR setup with L-series lenses, etc... the whole works. But a lot of times you just don't want to lug it all around, or even get it out just to take a couple of quick shots. I really wanted to get a good "point and shoot" but I didn;t want to compromise on images and say, "I wish I got my good camera out".

So I did a lot of searching and playing with various cameras and ultimately I selected the Canon G9 and here's why...

1. It has a huge LCD display so you can hold the camera away from you and still see what you're shooting at, even from odd angles. Checking photos after the shot is easy too without having to zoom in all the time.

2. It's fully automatic if you want to leave it that way or you can fully customize it with shutter-priority, aperture priority, fully manual... basically almost everything you can do with your DSLR. So you can manage depth of field, etc. with ease.

3. The ability to add on the telephoto lens and converter is great... effectively gives it a 400MM optical zoom. I haven't tried the wide lens since the camera lens is wide enough for me.

4. It's image stabilization works well... great for low light shots without a flash without compromising on image quality by using a higher ISO.

5. Finally - the ability to use an external flash is terrific. I already had the 580EX but wanted to get a 430EX as a "slave" - this gave me the reason to do so, as a 430EX looks much better on the G9 and works great. (The 580 works too but it's so much bigger.

Are there compromises with the G9? I suppose so but not too many. It's not the smallest camera out there. It fits in a jacket pocket but not a shirt pocket. Also, it would be if the G9 and it's Raw photos could be managed with Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. But having two sets of software for my Canon cameras isn't that big a deal.

In the end - I think it's a great little camera and with the add-ons of lenses and external flash - it gives you big camera benefits from a little camera package.

The Passion of the Christ (Definitive Edition)
The Passion of the Christ (Definitive Edition)
DVD ~ Jim Caviezel
Price: $6.59
129 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts things in perspective to be sure, March 27, 2008
I didn't catch this movie when it was in the theaters but have meant to see it for a long time. I finally did this past Easter season... Good Friday to be precise.

Those of the Roman Catholic faith would be familiar with the "sorrowful mysteries"...specifically the agony in the garden, scourging at the pillar, crowning with thorns, carrying of the cross and the crucifixion. It's one thing to imagine them and yet another to witness them in gruesome detail - as presented in this movie.

My wife and I reflected on the movie afterward and she found it's graphic intensity to be a bit much. It was hard to watch. That's what I found particulary poignant. Witnessing it in gorey detail on screen is one thing. Imagine actually being there for real. You can see why St. Peter denied Christ three times... wouldn't you?

Some non-Catholics don't understand the special role Mary has in our faith. Maybe it's lost on some but to me, her very significance in the eyes of God, and the Catholic tradition is underscored in this movie.

In any event, if you've ever wondered what "scourging at the pillar" really means or shrugged off the significance of Jesus's life, death and resurrection, this movie will provide some prospective.

I'd put it in the same category as "Saving Private Ryan". Not a movie I'd care to watch over and over but one that should certainly be watched when the topic of reducing Veterans rights is presented.

This movie should be seen by those who struggle with their own crosses and need a booster shot in their faith.

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx Waterproof Hiking GPS (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx Waterproof Hiking GPS (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Blue Sky Co.
9 used & new from $230.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything the occasional boater and frequent driver needs, March 22, 2007
This is the third Garmin GPSMAP 76 product I've owned. I started with the GPS Map 76 with 8MB RAM a few years ago. I found having a GPS was a great convenience but also a lot of fun. You never get lost and with downloaded details like points of interest you can easily find things like a specific restaurant or hotel in a city you've never been to. As an pleasure boater, this GPS has the Navaids preloaded so navigating from point to point on a big river is a breeze. Plus it floats so if you drop it overboard there's no issue.

However 8MB memory is not a lot so I upgraded a couple years later to the 76S to allow for more detailed maps to be loaded. With 24MB RAM there's enough memory to store details for about a 120 mile radius. When I needed to go somewhere new I'd down load that area instead. The 76S met my needs but I still thought a little more memory would be nice.

With the 76CSX you can have as much memory as you can fit into a micro SD card. I've got one with 1GB and have the detailed info for pretty much the entire East Coast and neighboring states downloaded. Adding the color screen is a plus so now Navaids are red and green, not just labeled such. And a great improvement is the autorouting capability where you just plug in your start and end points and it routes you there automatically with turn by turn directions just like on most websites. Get too far off course and it does it over again to get you where you want from where you are at that point. One attribute I really like is the screen colors automatically change when the sun goes down so during the day it's a light screened format and at night it automatically changes to a dark screen format... very cool. Plus - it still floats!

I love this new GPS and it's portability, large memory, preloaded marine Navaids, and autorouting cabilibilities make it a must-have for someone that likes to do a lot of things and where a dashboard mounted device won't work.