Profile for Scott Pointon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 496

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott Pointon "Former Marine, Librarian, Woodworker, Homebrewer" RSS Feed (Crest Hill, IL United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mr. Clean Liquid Muscle All Purpose Surface Cleaner Lemon 30 Fluid Ounce
Mr. Clean Liquid Muscle All Purpose Surface Cleaner Lemon 30 Fluid Ounce
Offered by Smile 'n Save
Price: $18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars It smells great and works well., June 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit up front that I am a sucker for lemon-scented kitchen cleaning products. I think that this cleaner has a wonderful scent that makes everything smell clean and fresh. I really like that it is concentrated, and that I can choose to add more or less of it to my water to get more or less "oomph" and aroma.

I have mainly used this to mix a solution to scrub my floors with, but I have also used it to make a weaker solution to clean counters, the refrigerator, etc. I would say that the cleaning power is less than that of the strongest pre-mixed spray bottle cleaners (like Fantastik, 409, etc) but it is pretty good nonetheless. As I said previously, because it is concentrated you can mix it stronger if you choose and I like that one bottle of this can be made into the equivalent of many many bottles of traditional cleaners.

I will be buying more of this when my bottle is empty!

Glad Zipper Quart Food Storage Bags, 256 Count
Glad Zipper Quart Food Storage Bags, 256 Count
Price: $17.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, June 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using these like mad for the last month and can say that they are great. The zipper lock is easy to operate and seals perfectly every time, even after opening and closing multiple times. This is unlike some of the cheaper brands out there that start to fail after one or two "zips". I also find the shape of these bags to be ideal. They are wider than I expected, making them better for storing round fruits or vegetables like onions, tomatoes, peaches, etc.

All in all a great product that works like it should.

Tide Plus Febreze Freshness HE Liquid Laundry Detergent, Sport Active Fresh , 92 Fl Oz
Price: $9.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, June 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife, stepdaughter and I have all been on an exercise / health kick this year, and thus we have a lot of sweaty work out gear that needs to be washed on a regular basis. Seeing the marketing claims for this product we gave this detergent a try to see if it could stand up to the challenge. I am happy to say that it does just what it advertises by removing those "lingering odors" that sometimes show up after a garment is washed. I believe this is a bacterial thing that occurs when a very sweaty garment is tossed into the hamper and not allowed to dry out in a reasonable amount of time. This detergent seems to cure that and gets all of our workout clothes smelling super fresh in one wash, despite any horrors the clothing had previously been subjected to. Highly recommended for households with athletes or those hitting the gym/treadmill regularly.

March High Temperature Pump for Brewing Home Brew
March High Temperature Pump for Brewing Home Brew
Offered by TESCO PUMPS
Price: $157.00
3 used & new from $157.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pump!, June 4, 2014
I built a three tier home brewing system and mounted this pump to move wort from the kettle through the counterflow chiller and then either back into the kettle (if I am recirculating) or into the fermenter (if I am chilling). I think the best two features of this pump are the fact that it is magnetically driven, so I can have the pump running but completely close the valve on the output side if needed (when I want to stop the flow temporarily) and the fact that the inlet port is on the bottom of the pump. By mounting the pump to my stand with the inlet opening facing down toward the floor, I can completely drain all of the liquid out of the pump at the end of my brew day. I have run a half dozen batches of beer through this pump and my new rig and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend this pump!

1/2" NPT 304 Stainless Steel Valve - Full Port 1000 WOG
1/2" NPT 304 Stainless Steel Valve - Full Port 1000 WOG
Offered by Bargain Home Brew
Price: $9.78
3 used & new from $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and it works very very well., June 4, 2014
I have three of these on my home brewing rig (one on the brew kettle, one on the pump, and one on the water side of the counter flow chiller). I was expecting to pay more, and did in fact see many competitor valves that cost twice a s much or more. These valves are good quality and a great value. I have run 5 batches through my new system and these valves are performing flawlessly. No leaks and they open and close smoothly. If you are in the market for valves, I highly recommend these!

Hydrometer - Triple Scale - Perfect for Beer and Wine - A Must-have for Your Home Brewing and Winemaking - Easy-to-read for Measuring Specific Gravity, Brix/balling, and Potential Alcohol
Offered by Brew Tapper
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but super delicate., June 4, 2014
I have been home brewing for 6 years, and in that time have brewed close to 140 batches of beer. I consider a good hydrometer to be an essential tool when making beer, and I have used several different hydrometers over the years.

I used this particular one only twice. The first time I used it was to take a gravity reading on a beer that had finished fermenting. I found the numbers easy to see and I really liked the color-coded scale on this unit. The second time I went to use this hydrometer, I used it to test the gravity of some wort I had just brewed and cooled to 68 degrees. In this situation I use my hydrometers with a sampling thief, which allows me to slide the hydrometer inside the sanitized thief, take a reading, and then return the wort to the fermenter. Unfortunately, when I slid this hydrometer into the thief as I had been doing with my cheap $6 models for years, the bottom of the hydrometer cracked and spilled the little lead weights out of the hydrometer tip ruining it forever.

So, overall I think this is a quality product with an intuitive and easy to read gravity scale. It is however extremely delicate on the bottom end. If you beware that downside you should enjoy this hydrometer a great deal. Happy brewing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 7:25 AM PDT

Pac-Kit 6155 493 Piece Steel Cabinet Industrial 3 Shelf First Aid Station with Wall Mount Slots and Handle, 17.5" Height x 13.5" Width x 6" Depth
Price: $99.12
16 used & new from $97.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good selection of products inside, April 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have some experience purchasing first aid cabinets similar to this one for public library buildings, but this particular one is being used in my home woodworking/workshop. I appreciate that the manufacturer not only included all of the ANSI Z308.1-2009 required items, but also included other stuff from the ANSI recommended list as well. I know that for me the (hopefully) most used items will be the various bandages, antiseptic sprays/wipes, and antibiotic ointments. I especially like the nice supply of fingertip bandages!

The cabinet itself is very heavy duty metal and looks like it could withstand a lot of the accidental abuse common in industrial/workshop areas.

I was able to easily mount this on my workshop wall, and seeing as how this cabinet is rated as a 75+ person station, I should be all set for years to come. Great cabinet, great assortment of supplies, all for a fair price. Recommended.

Belkin MIXIT Home Charger with 4-Foot 30-Pin Cable for iPhone 4/4S, iPad 3rd Gen and iPad 2 (2.1 AMP/10 Watt), White
Price: $30.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but works as advertised without issues., April 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this to charge my iPad, and on occasion, to charge my wife's iPhone. I have not had a single performance issue with this device. The charger and the cord are both sturdy and well made. The charge time seems to be in line with other chargers I have used, so no issues there. My only reason to rate this 4 out of 5 stars is that it is a bit more expensive than competitor products that tick all of the same boxes. Overall a great product though.

X-mini WE micro portable NFC Bluetooth smartphone capsule speaker, XAM17-GM-B
X-mini WE micro portable NFC Bluetooth smartphone capsule speaker, XAM17-GM-B
Price: $28.99
16 used & new from $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This little guy kicks butt!, April 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this little unit as an accessory/external speaker with my iPad and for that purpose it works wonderfully. My iPad has no trouble connecting via Bluetooth and after a few weeks of almost daily use I am very pleased with the battery life on the speaker. When recharging is necessary, I have found that it does not take very long to go from a low charge to fully charged (in an hour or so).

As for sound, I would say the quality is good and the volume is amazing. Seriously, this tiny little speaker can get pretty loud. The only issue I have with it is that if I boost the volume to its highest level, the sound does start to degrade a bit, but if I keep the sound level just a bit below max, the quality is as good as when it is set at lower levels.

Overall this is an ingenious little product and one that I know I will be using for years. Highly recommended and very much worth the asking price.

SterlingPro 8 Cup (1 liter, 34 oz) French Coffee Press-#1 With 2 BONUS Screen FREE(over $25 value)-Durable Coffee & Espresso Maker with Stainless Steel Plunger & Heat Resistant Glass--- Best shinning Chrome--Great Christmas & Birthday Gifts for Coffee Lover-Limited Quantity!!
Offered by SterlingPro
Price: $65.00
3 used & new from $28.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful to look at and makes a great cup of coffee!, April 23, 2014
FULL DISCLOSURE - I received a free sample unit for evaluation and am hereby providing an honest and unbiased review.

My wife and I are into good coffee, and over the past couple of years have started using french presses to get that fresh ground, superior coffee taste. The downsides of many French press units we have tried is that they don't do a good enough job of filtering out the grounds and thus they don't leave you with clear coffee. I'm here to confirm that his French coffee press makes a wonderful cup of coffee. The double stainless steel screen system really takes care of the grounds, and we have both been very happy with the cleanness of our pours. Adding to the allure of this press is it's beautiful appearance. The carafe is glass and silver metal that gives it a sort of classic French bistro look. Also, our unit came with an extra set of the filter screens, so that was a huge plus. Highly recommended!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20