Profile for P. Craig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Craig RSS Feed (Chicago)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35
SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35
Price: $17.10
90 used & new from $16.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Spy-size tiny but also very very slow, May 15, 2014
This drive is something out of a spy movie, with huge storage to boot. It's tiny, and sticks out just a few millimeters from the USB port. However this drive is hampered by the extremely slow speed at which you can access all of that capacity- Blackmagic Speed Test rated my 32GB drive as 4mb/s write and 25mb/s read. It takes literally hours to copy 20GB of data to the drive. For applications that require infrequent writing of new data, this is probably just fine. The read speed is usable for playing 720p h.264 video. But for frequent writes and especially as a backup drive, I do not recommend this drive. Mine is filled with movies, so it's a read-only application and does well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2014 9:55 AM PDT

German with Ease - New Edition - Book only (German Edition)
German with Ease - New Edition - Book only (German Edition)
by Hilde Schneider
27 used & new from $22.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 9, 2014
I spoke some German as a kid and this is helping me re-learn German in a conversational format. If you've tried some of the well-advertised language courses like I did, and are as frustrated as I am, give this a try. The other course taught me lots of vocabulary but not conversational German, so it was like learning discrete words in a vacuum. Assimil teaches you in a conversational, situational format. There are CDs/MP3s available for purchase from the company as well, and do help immensely. My only criticism is that only this first level is in English; Assimil is a French company and the advanced courses are all in French. Still, it's enough to give you a good start and speak useful, conversational German.

Britax B-Agile Stroller Travel Bag
Britax B-Agile Stroller Travel Bag
Price: $36.00
11 used & new from $36.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, essential for airline travel but two annoying issues, May 9, 2014
Purchased this to send our stroller as checked baggage, and for this purpose it works very well. The baggage handling systems and cargo bins of airliners are very dirty and this will keep your stroller clean and undamaged. The material is heavy nylon with a decent zipper, and the zipper opening goes deep down the sides so it's easy to get the stroller in the bag. Just two design issues prevent this from being perfect. First, if you're using a infant car seat with it the receiver clips must be removed to allow the zipper to close. I can see how this might protect the clips against rough handling however. The second issue is with the strap-it's sturdy but just a non-padded strap. Backpack-type straps would be nice since my arms are already carrying or pulling luggage. Wearing it messenger-bag style works but isn't too comfortable.

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 (Black) STDR2000100
Offered by ONE STOP SHOP
Price: Click here to see our price
45 used & new from $99.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, light, I believe UASP is supported on Mac, April 10, 2014
This drive is great, and an excellent travel companion to my Macbook Air. When reformatted to HFS+ it works fine with a Mac. On my 2013 Air, I noticed the system extension iousbattachedscsi.kext loads when this drive is connected-meaning it supports UASP. Read up on it and you'll see why this is a good thing-it's fast! Kudos to Seagate for supporting an emerging standard that makes a real difference.

Sony AGR1 Hand Grip for DSC-RX100 series (Black)
Sony AGR1 Hand Grip for DSC-RX100 series (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves grip tremendously, April 3, 2014
This accessory really improves the grip of this little camera, and for me at least makes one-handed operation more reliable. The adhesive is very durable.

[Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4
Offered by Inateck Online
Price: $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning for new Mac users-does not support UASP, April 3, 2014
I purchased this hoping to take advantage of UASP and its blazing speeds. I have another brand drive that is UASP and the speed difference compared to standard USB 3.0 is significant. This brand is also known to be expensive so I was hoping this enclosure would be a DIY version with the same performance. This enclosure is well made and packaged, and I like the use of the USB A-A cable as it seems more durable. However testing with two new Macs (one rMBP 13" and one 2013 Macbook Air) running OS X 10.9.2 I discovered that not only is UASP not supported (the extension iousbattachedscsi.kext is not loaded) but that this enclosure will only mount as a USB 2.0 device, showing as up to 480 mb/s in system profiler, with corresponding slow performance. I tried 2 different hard drives as well as a Sandisk SSD and in all cases it would not mount as UASP or even as USB 3.0, falling back to USB 2.0. I know for a fact these systems do support UASP, and can only conclude that this enclosure or its chipset has some issues at least with Macs.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 9:20 AM PDT

David Clark DC PRO-X Hybrid Electronic Noise-Cancelling Aviation Headset
David Clark DC PRO-X Hybrid Electronic Noise-Cancelling Aviation Headset
Offered by Gulf Coast Avionics Corp.
Price: $637.00
3 used & new from $637.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for quieter cockpits, January 8, 2014
This is a very comfortable and compact headset, but is suitable only for quieter cockpits. The Embraer ERJ/Legacy is too loud for this headset however.

Solo Classic Collection Rolling Catalog Case with Check-Fast Airport Security-Friendly Sleeve, Holds up to 17 Inch Laptop, Black (B151-4)
Price: $71.17
46 used & new from $63.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, January 8, 2014
The case itself is solid and well made. The frame is strong and the handle is comfortable to use. The non-rolling version of this bag is excellent and I had hoped the same for this version with wheels, but the problems are with the handle and wheels. The handle does not lock in the up position. There are some spring-loaded tabs that extend when the handle is up, but they easily give way and the handle collapses. This makes it impossible to push this case in front of you, as the handle will collapse. You must pull this case behind you. It also makes it impossible to use the handle as a place to hang your jacket or blazer. The wheels are simply hard plastic wheels on steel axles, and not skate-type wheels with proper bearings. As a result the rolling resistance is considerable even on smooth concrete, and on carpet this case is difficult to pull.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Bag
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Bag
Price: $27.95
16 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, very portable, October 18, 2013
Simply the best coffee I have ever made. Its principle of operation is very similar to the Clover system used at some Starbucks, and extracts the subtle flavors from the coffee just the same. This product is very portable, simple, and makes great coffee. For those of us who spend lots of time in hotels and on the road-get this!

Bialetti 6799 Moka Express 3-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker
Bialetti 6799 Moka Express 3-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker
Price: Click here to see our price
28 used & new from $17.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have now that I have tried it, September 29, 2013
I have been into espresso since college, and our kitchen is equipped with the excellent Saeco Vienna automatic espresso machine. I had heard of Moka pots, but never tried them. Last year on vacation in Italy we stayed at a B&B, and I loved the espresso we were served in the morning. I was surprised when I learned the espresso I loved so much was from a Moka pot, and our hostess was nice enough to show me how to use it. I ordered one when I got home, and use it regularly. While the Saeco machine is great, it's not practical to take on trips. I now find myself living in extended-stay hotels frequently for my job, and my Bialetti Moka pot happily cranks out awesome coffee every morning on the tiny two-burner stove in my room. The 3-cup size will make about half a cup of actual liquid, to which I usually add milk for a latte. Perfect for one person, or one at a time. Note that you should remove the moka pot from the stove as soon as coffee starts bubbling into the upper chamber, and wash it only with water when done. Ciao.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5