Profile for W. G. Reed Jr. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. G. Reed Jr. "BinocFreeq" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)

Prayer
Prayer
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A thriller with a religious theme, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Prayer (Kindle Edition)
Interesting but much different than I was expecting. Despite its title, the book's religious element was not what I was looking for, especially having read most of Kerr's other books. Some, like me, might find the plot difficult to accept, but it's bound to hold their curiosity and ensure they finish it quickly.

December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World
December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $13.10

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but repetitive, March 2, 2014
A better job of editing would have made this a faster moving narrative. The author's decision to have one chapter for each day of the month is part of the problem, for even in December 1941, nothing of significance n

A Course In Exterior Ballistics: Ordnance Textbook (1921)
A Course In Exterior Ballistics: Ordnance Textbook (1921)
by Ordnance Department
Price: $18.09
12 used & new from $12.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn some ballistics, May 15, 2012
This is a modern print-on-demand reproduction of a brief U.S.M.A. text. The reprint suffers in quality from blurred photo-reproduction of some important figures and numbers.
The course itself is fairly accessible though it presumes a basic knowledge of the differential calculus. The reader would benefit from having an instructor to explain some concepts that were not clear, not to me, at least. Also, many more worked out examples of artillery fire problems and ballistics would have added greatly to the book's utility. The questions at chapter ends were particularly interesting and fun to solve (or try to) with a scientific pocket calculator. I groaned thinking about the cadets back in the 1920's and 30's without these nifty $10 electronic machines.

Canon 10x30 IS  Ultra-Compact Binoculars (Black)
Canon 10x30 IS Ultra-Compact Binoculars (Black)
Offered by Emmy Photo
Price: $399.99
26 used & new from $350.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A real surprise, October 20, 2000
I've been a binocular junkie for years. I've specialized in high end glasses, particularly Leitz, Swarovski and Hensoldt (when I could get them). Two years ago, in anticipation of a trip to Kenya where I would spend the days in a moving LandRover, I thought I'd try the (then new) Cannon 10x30 Image Stabilizers. I was just blown away! The optics are excellent and the weight is surprisingly light. But the image stabilizing feature is just fabulous. There is simply no wiggle when holding these binoculars (and I'm a big coffee drinker). While they won't compensate for big rolls, jumps and twists in a moving car, they eliminate all the vibration and result in much less eye fatigue. In my opinion, it's a case of technology having obsoleted a very fine product. Take my word, do not spend over $500 for fixed binoculars without first trying the image stabilized Cannons. It's a revelation.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 7:16 AM PDT