Profile for bernie > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 388

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bernie "xyzzy" RSS Feed (Arlington, Texas)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Delta Faucet 3564-MPU-DST Ashlyn Two Handle Widespread Lavatory Faucet, Chrome
Delta Faucet 3564-MPU-DST Ashlyn Two Handle Widespread Lavatory Faucet, Chrome
Price: $151.28
5 used & new from $151.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Svelte, May 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It was time for my old functional but no class facet to be replaced. I wanted something to make a statement. There is only one facet in the bathroom so I did not have to match a second. This critter actually matches the towel racks and other accoutrements.

It is easy to clean and I always like facets with handles instead of knobs as you can push one way with a dirty paw and the other way with a clean claw.

The Hidden
The Hidden
DVD ~ Kyle MacLachlan
9 used & new from $14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Tour L.A. of 1987, May 30, 2015
This review is from: The Hidden (DVD)
We already know the story form the beginning. A top detective Tom Beck (Michael Nouri) is usurped by the FBI to track down a mild mannered suspect that goes rouge and has a habit of being self-centered at the expense of others lives. Soon Tom starts to realize that there is more to the chase than he suspected. When FBI agent is pushed to reveal his story, Tom balks at the inference to E. T.

Will Tom come face to face with his nemesis or are we in for a twisted end.

It does not quite match the screen play of which I am still looking for a less expensive copy.

Lots of my favorite actors form the era. Kyle MacLachlan whom played Paul Atreides in the movie Dune (1984). And one of my favorite crazy people Claudia Christian whom played Hexina in the movie Hexed (1993.)

The movie was filmed all over L. A. in 1987. People may recognize all their favorite places.

Do not overlook all the extra DVD extras such as voice over commentary.

Music list:
"Hidden"
"Black Girl White Girl"
"Is There Anybody in There?"
"Say Goodbye"
"On Your Feet"
"Go down Fighting"
"Weapons of Love"
"Still in Hollywood"
"Your Haunted Head"
"While the Going's Good"
"You Make Me Feel so Young"
"Out Of Control (in My Car)"

The Incredible Shrinking Man [Regions 2 & 4]
The Incredible Shrinking Man [Regions 2 & 4]
DVD ~ William Schallert
Offered by OxfordshireEngland
Price: $7.98
13 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Incredible Shrinking Man, May 26, 2015
This movie is used as part of many documentaries. Now is a chance to see it in context. I may prove to be depressing on many levels.

"The strange almost unbelievable story of Robert Scott Carey began on a very ordinary summer day." As told by Robert Scott Carey.

While on vacation Scott Carey (Grant Williams) encounters a mysterious glowing cloud. Toss in a little DDT. And you have an environmental disaster. At least for Scott. Great Scot what is going to happen to him? We watch as Scott gets small minded.

There are a few scenes where Scott is translucent. 50's version of film trickery before CGI.

My cats watch the TV and look at me. They sit on my chest and smack their lips. I wonder what they are thinking.

My only solace is "so close the infinitesimal and the infinite but really the two ends of the same concept." To God there is no "Zero."

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) aka The Creeping Unknown [Blu-ray]
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) aka The Creeping Unknown [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Brian Donlevy
Offered by Dawn's Discount Movies
Price: $17.99
34 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars More Hammer - less horror, May 25, 2015
A space ship landing nose-down surprises some country folk.
Turns out that Professor Bernard Quatermass jumped the gun and sent a ship into space before the conservative agencies could stop him. Of course this means something has to go wrong. Sure enough three Astronauts wet up and one came back in less than perfect form. Looks like something extraterrestrial is intends to make munchies of Earths flora and fauna. Can Quatermass stop the creature before we become space-chow? And will Quatermass learn his lesson?

"The Creeping Unknown" (1956) was directed by Val Guest. Was based on the screen plays from a BBC TV serial 1953 BBC Television serial "The Quatermass Experiment". The voice-over jokes about this version compressing the first Episode of the serial down to one and a half minutes.

Hammer Replaced Reginald Tate with Brian Donlevy as Professor Bernard Quatermass. This made for a different type of character but did not distract from the story. Brian Donlevy was added for the U.S. audience appeal. In the next Hammer film "The Abatable Snowman" he used Forest Tucker. I kept staring at Lionel Jeffries, trying to remember where I saw him before. ("Call Me Bwana" 1963.)

I loved the Technology that they used from a fire engine that looked like it was out of "Fahrenheit 451." The gages in the space ship has speed, altitude, thrust, flux density, etc.

I have only seen the Blu-Ray Kino Lorber version which is in a 1:66:1 frame format. It has several DVD extras, including a voice over review.

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (2007) Audio CD
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (2007) Audio CD
4 used & new from $54.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting experiment (look up Rodger W. Young) on the net., May 24, 2015
As with any good sci-fi the story and descriptions of the latest gadgets are important; however this is just the window dressing or vehicle to carry a message or concept to you with out sounding too preachy.

Basically this book is not fascist like the movie. It suggests that people should be responsible for their actions and have a stake in what they make decisions on. Never did it say that these people were smarter or better, just that when you have a vested interest your decisions tend to work or you will pay.

I was intrigued in the process that Johnny Rico was going through in the story. The movie does not phase me as it looks like cartoon hype. But the book was too close to home. I hope my memory is flawed as I remember every one of the people types that he described. Actually I think with the volunteer Army today it is closer to the book than was Vietnam where conscripts looked on it this as slightly preferable to prison. I know that this story is not about the military but it is too real to be ignored as just the story.

You could have floored me when after watching the movie I found out there were no naked women in the book. Dizzy Flores must have had a great Swedish doctor. This could have been a genuine attempt to update the story; however it distracted from the original purpose.

Basically after school Johnny Rico is whisked into the military by peer pressure and to finds out if he is more than just the factory owner's son. While going through boot camp he learns of different cultures and the intricacies of military life. Naturally he makes mistakes and learns from others mistakes. As he grows he learns what make the world the way it is. I will not contrast this book with the movie because I think you enjoy the story more if you find out what happens as it unfolds.

The Joy of Hand Weaving
The Joy of Hand Weaving
by Osma Gallinger Tod
7 used & new from $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A tad dated but still functional, May 24, 2015
This book makes a good addition to anyone's weaving library. You can actually use this as a first book or extend your repertoire.

All the pictures, drafts, and diagrams are in black and white they still work but would have been better with the added dimension of color. 0.K. there is a small color section.)

Fort the brave there is a section on clothing. I however prefer flat square projects.

Deep Star Six
Deep Star Six
DVD ~ Greg Evigan
Price: $5.93
33 used & new from $2.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Many brave hearts are asleep in the deep, So beware! beware!, May 23, 2015
This review is from: Deep Star Six (DVD)
Loudly the bell in the old tower rings,
Bidding us list to the warning it brings. Sailor, take care! Sailor, take care!
Danger is near thee, beware! beware! beware! beware!
Many brave hearts are asleep in the deep, so beware! beware!
Many brave hearts are asleep in the deep, so beware! beware!

Written by Arthur J. Lamb and composed by Henry W. Petrie in 1897

A crew is setting up an underwater missile site. They are in a hury to meet a deadline and naturally cut a few corners that may come back and bite them.

Great fun in its day; but a tad hokey by today's standards. You won't be wasting your time watching anyway.

The Zimmermann Telegram: Intelligence, Diplomacy, and America's Entry into World War I
by Thomas Boghardt
Price: $22.80
59 used & new from $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Fewer but stronger words I always say, May 22, 2015
I came to learn about the Zimmerman Telegram in a sort of backward way; I learned about it in a German history class at school.

It was interesting but not until I saw that there was a Barbara Tuchman book (author of "The Guns of August") did I decide to dive in a little deeper.

You will be intrigued and find that even though the main subject of the book is the Zimmerman Telegram that it is the various people involved that makes the story come to life.

"The Americans were always calling upon the Munro doctrine as if it was some sort of covenant established by God, giving them rights over the rest of the hemisphere. Wilhelm believed that if God were going to play favorites He would choose Germany."

The Society of Mind
The Society of Mind
by Marvin L. Minsky

4.0 out of 5 stars This book tries to explain how the mind works, May 21, 2015
This review is from: The Society of Mind (Paperback)
Before one can understand artificial intelligence one should understand the real thing.

This book has lots of fin diagrams as it explained the complexities of what is not one whole comprehensive entity but the "society of the Mind."

It may be a tad dated but the concept is still solid.

And now for something a tad more dated:

Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics by Alfred Korzybski

Lexar JumpDrive P20 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - LJDP20-32GCRBNA
Lexar JumpDrive P20 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - LJDP20-32GCRBNA
Price: $22.99
5 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Svelte, May 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have used various Lexar jump drives. Most of them look cheap but efficient. This critter looks expensive. It has weight which tricks you into thinking you have something expensive in your pocket.

I have to admit that I am not taking advantage of all the possibilities this critter presents. I leave it lose in my pocket instead of on a keychain. I have not tried the inscription software.

I do realize a noticeable transfer speed not just on paper. And my 9,000 + reviews take up a fraction of the storage. I suspect you could put a major program on this device like a cad package.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20