Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for NY knitter > Reviews

Browse

NY knitter's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

NY knitter "NY knitter" RSS Feed (NYC)

Gathering Blue (Giver Quartet)
Gathering Blue (Giver Quartet)
by Lois Lowry
Price: $6.00
168 used & new from $1.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Novel!!! Kept my life going!, January 13, 2015
The Book , Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry, is the second book in the Newbery winning, The Giver quartet. Gathering Blue is rich with detail, it causes the reader to feel like he is "inside" the book or to "feel" what is in the book. An Example,"He went to a shelf above the table where he kept his tools and took down a piece of light-colored pine small enough to fit into the palm of his hand (Page 116-117.) Gathering Blue and The Giver both have lessons the author is trying to point out. Gathering Blue is trying to say that someone with a disability can still do big things. The Giver is saying that taking away hate and anger also takes away joy. Both books are based in communities with flaws. The Giver's community is governed well and has mass production of food and people, but lacks memory and emotion. The Gathering Blue community has lack of food and control.

This novel starts off with Kira, the dreadfully disabled young girl at birth, who lost her mother from sickness three days earlier. Kira finds Vandara, a tough young women who killed a bear bear-handed, and the other nasty mothers at her land. Vandara want use Kira's land to make a pen for the tykes (little kids.) Vandara takes the problem to the council of guardians, who gave Kira the title of weaver, because of her great abilities. Kira was given the task of repairing the singer's robe. One problem: Kira does not know the art of dying threads. Kira must learn from old Annabella, who lives deep in the woods. Kira is left to find out a peculiar mystery that can change her life. The plot of this novel is very gripping and brings the reader to the story world.

The details of this book are interesting because of the author's sense of natural surroundings. The author uses the "show not tell" method really well and makes the emotion stand out. The author explains the detail without getting off topic. One example of this, "Although thick trees shaded the path and they could hear rustling in the undergrowth and unfamiliar cries of forest birds, nothing seemed threatening" (Page 87.) This detailed sentence expresses a bunch of different ideas in one sentence, as in them being cautious and alert.

I would recommend this book because of the how to author creates her characters. My favorite character is Matt. He is a funny, overjoyed character with an accent. He is always making jokes and is always their to help. An example of this, "Me and Branchie, us is tough. We only look wee"(Page 86.)Matt changes and becomes less childish and more serious as the book progresses and the next book, Messenger, which Matt is the main character.

I would overall recommend this book to fans of well-written science fiction. Gathering Blue consists of enough detail, setting, and character detail and creativity that anyone would enjoy this book after reading The Giver. It is important to read these book in order because The Giver is the beginning of the saga of an long adventure and dangerous trades.

Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor Book 2)
Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor Book 2)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars a boring read, March 15, 2012
I have always been a kleypas fan but found this novel boring. Just skipped a whole lot of pages and found the magic part kind of annoying. I'm not sure I'll get the next one in this series.

KitchenAid KPWB100OB Pro Line Waffle Baker, Onyx Black
KitchenAid KPWB100OB Pro Line Waffle Baker, Onyx Black
Offered by always quality
Price: $199.99
8 used & new from $135.00

5.0 out of 5 stars great waffles!, February 12, 2012
I just purchased this waffle baker and I love it! It makes perfect waffles. 3.30-3.45 works well for golden brown, crispy waffles. It feels really sturdy is beautiful on the counter.

Knitting Classic Style: 35 Modern Designs Inspired by Fashion's Archives
Knitting Classic Style: 35 Modern Designs Inspired by Fashion's Archives
by Veronik Avery
Price: $27.50
76 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars great but complicated instructions, November 25, 2007
I love the patterns in the book - I'd love to make a few. I plunged into making Layered Skater's top - a lacy top using Kidsilk haze. It is knitted with circular knitting needles. I got all the way to the yoke, and having hell of time following directions. I wish the directions were more clear. I don't know if I can finish this project which is a shame since I knitted 2/3rds of it! Bummer.

Twinkle's Big City Knits: 31 Chunky-Chic Designs
Twinkle's Big City Knits: 31 Chunky-Chic Designs
by Wenlan Chia
68 used & new from $0.46

4.0 out of 5 stars love the designs, March 1, 2007
I love this book - the sweaters are just gorgeous. I don't really like bulky knits but from the design perspective, it's great. I agree that the sizes are definitely on the small size but luckily, I am a 32. I don't know why they didn't include larger sizes. I am small at 32 but there are some sizes that are 26 - that seems a little ridiculous unless that is for a child. The patterns and simply inspiring and really in trend.

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
by Joelle Hoverson
Price: $20.17
153 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, November 10, 2004
I absolutely love this book! It's rare for me to find a book where I like all the yarn represented but it's true here. It's filled with yarn such as Blue SKy alpaca, Rowan Kidsilk haze, Noro cash iroha. Photographs are beautiful and the projects are finished in lovely colors. The designs are modern and classic at the same time. I also love the fact that the author uses circular knitting as much as she can - no sewing. A very artistic approach to knitting! However, there are MISTAKES - take a look at the purlsoho website to download errata for the hourglass sweater, silk camisole and some others. Don't let this bother you!