Profile for Aaron > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aaron RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse (H3S-00003)
Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse (H3S-00003)
Price: $22.49
94 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great so far, February 13, 2014
This was my first Bluetooth mouse. Top cover came off easy to insert the batteries. Very easy to set up in Windows 8. Just hit start, and start typing "blu" and you see Bluetooth Settings. From there you add the mouse. Worked perfect right away. I like the dedicated start button. I was worried I would trigger it accidentally a lot given the position, but its in the perfect place where my thumb doesn't accidentally hit it but I can access it easily. The middle scroll wheel has ticks in it which is a relief because another MS mouse of mine had a smooth scroll wheel and I hated that. All in all this is a solid mouse.

Nokia Lumia 521 (T-Mobile)
Nokia Lumia 521 (T-Mobile)
Offered by M5 COMMUNICATIONS
Price: $66.99
133 used & new from $46.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of smartphone for very little price, June 27, 2013
I bought this from Walmart for my father in law. Its great to see Amazon offering it now since its been tough to get at Walmart.

What do you get for such a low price?
Runs WP8 just as smooth as any of the high end phones.
Fits great in your pocket and feels great in the hand. For people that don't want a 5inch superphone, this size may be perfect for them.
Runs all of the Nokia exclusive apps like Drive, Maps, Music, etc...
Battery life seems to last a very long time and its removable in case you want to carry and extra one.

What are the drawbacks?
Only 8GB of internal memory: But you have the option to include an SD card which can store your maps and media.
No camera flash: However the pictures are surprisingly good for a 5mp camera. Easily beats out my old Focus and maybe even Lumia 900.
No Front Facing Camera: That could be a deal breaker for some. Personally, I've found that I never actually use my FFC.
No NFC (the tap to send thing): Again, I've found I never use it. Well I used it once on my 920 to transfer a picture just to try it out.
512MB of RAM: There are some games on the platform that require 1GB of RAM. However most games work with 512MB and I can't think of any non-game apps that require 1GB.
Screen: While I think the resolution works just fine on a 4inch screen, there is no denying that the LCD looks cheap when put next to the ClearBlack display of a Lumia 920.
No LTE: For me this is probably the biggest drawback. But you still get "4G" HSPA+.

Summary:
If you want to save money, this phone paired with no contract T-Mobile plans, is a great choice. Just compare spending $200 on an iPhone to lock yourself into a 2year contract at $80-100+ a month. Or you can get this for $130-150 and paired with $50 T-Mobile plan, or even the $30 Unlimited Data/Text plan offered through Walmart. You could be talking thousands of dollars over a 2 year period. Seriously, this phone does 99% what high end smartphones do for 30% the cost.

AS Rock FX Socket AM3 Plus NVIDIA GeForce 7025 A V GbE Micro ATX Motherboard N68C-GS FX
2 used & new from $110.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, February 21, 2013
I just (re)built a spare desktop with this MB yesterday. Put in an old Phenom II 945, two 2GB DDR3 1066 sticks, a Saphire AMD 4830 GPU, and various other old parts. Installation was easy enough, although after putting the heat-sink/fan I found it hard to reach the 4pin fan power connector. Upon booting I was amazed to not see a BIOS flash screen at all. This is a pro and a con, but mostly a pro. Its a small con because you have to be hitting DEL right away to get into BIOS. But its more a pro because its faster booting and that is great in the long term. Being a spare for me, lack of USB 3.0 isn't really an issue for this MB. After a couple of months of use I'll try to remember to come back and give this a 5 star if I haven't run into any more issues. In conclusion, this is a solid motherboard for a great price that has all the essentials for a decent computer.

TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch
Price: Click here to see our price
97 used & new from $42.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, WPS is hit and miss, February 5, 2013
First off, I did not install DD-WRT or Tomato or whatever its called. I don't really get the point of going through all that trouble. I did make sure to update the firmware to the latest version from the TP-Link website, which is a fairly straight forward process. I configured the 2.4 and 5GH bands to both use N only and WPA2 encryption.

Pros: Setting this router up was pretty easy and quick. I have it in my basement but the 2.4GHz signal is still strong enough that my Roku in our upstairs bedroom runs without problems. Performing speed tests around the house show that the router effectively delivers max internet bandwidth on the 2.4GH spectrum throughout our 3 level town house. The 5GH band doesn't extend much beyond one floor however, but from my understanding that is expected. I haven't done serious tests, but the Gigabit ports seem to perform very well. The real test was that I successfully hosted a LAN party with 10 computers hooked up via Ethernet, and a couple through wireless. Everything ran great.

Cons: I did try to hook up an external USB hard drive. The drive wasn't recognized but I believe its the drives fault because a spare USB thumb drive was easily recognized. I'm deducting 1 star because the WPS function is very hit and miss, probably more miss. This just means I have to manually type in the password on guests devices when they visit. Also, while the wireless range/strength seems very good, I can't claim its better than the Verizon router it replaced. In fact the Verizon router posted slightly better signal strength. I'd rather give it a 4.5 star, but I don't want to automatically give it 5 stars just because it works well.

Powerzone 380044 3 Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack
Powerzone 380044 3 Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack
Price: $149.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a lot better than my $30 Jack from WalMart, January 18, 2013
Previously I had a $30 cheapo jack from WalMart which was barely better than using the default crank jack in your car trunk compartment. I put this jack on my wishlist, as a "wish", but to my surprise, my wife actually got it for me for Christmas. I haven't had a job that needed it yet, but I did try it out real quick. Setup was easy except for one missing instruction. There is a cable thing that attaches from the base of the jack to the hole you put the long bar into. You have to remove that first. I figured I had to do this, but since it wasn't in the directions I tried for 10 minutes to cram the bar in with the cable still blocking it. Yes, I was stupid, I know, but the instructions could have listed that step. Anyways, once assembled the jack performs very well. I can get it under and lift my car in just a few seconds with almost no effort. The unit is almost 4 times the size of my cheapo jack, yet its not too heavy due to its aluminum construction. I'm not an expert mechanic or anything, but aside from a dedicated car lift, I can't see what would be better than this jack stand.

Laptop / Notebook Battery Replacement for HP EV06 (4400mAh)
Laptop / Notebook Battery Replacement for HP EV06 (4400mAh)
Offered by MetroDeal
Price: $18.04
7 used & new from $18.04

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for dv6t-2000, January 17, 2013
I probably shouldn't be giving this 5 stars without actually testing battery life. But for the money I paid, I'm just glad it fits and works with my HP dv6t-2000. If I notice terrible battery life, I'll update the review to a 4 star. Because essentially I just want a battery that works enough to let me move the laptop around without having to power it off.

Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Price: $7.46
42 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Lumia 920, December 19, 2012
It works and looks cool. Phones I have used it with are Lumia 920, Lumia 900, Focus Flash, Focus. I bought one for my car and one for my wifes car so that we always have a charging station if we need it.

The only con is that in my wifes Jeep it appears to remain on when the car is turned off. However it must not suck too much battery because her car hasn't died yet.

Brother Printer Wireless Monochrome Printer, Dark Grey (HL2280DW)
Brother Printer Wireless Monochrome Printer, Dark Grey (HL2280DW)
Price: $129.99
176 used & new from $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup and wireless works great, December 5, 2012
I've only had this printer for a short while, and I promise to update my review if problems arise over the long term.

Setup was pretty simple on my wife's Windows 7 laptop. I went with the included CD. My only complaint is that it took a long time to install the product suite. Also I think it may have installed its own PDF software, which I didn't need. But using this method let me hook the printer up to the WiFi. In fact I don't believe I even had to enter the WiFi password. Perhaps it got the value from the laptop which was already connected. Once setup was done, I was able to disconect the printer from the laptop and place it where I wanted. The laptop easily printed to the printer and had the option of printing in Duplex, which works great. The included software suite also lets you easily scan images from the printer wirelessly.

If you own several Windows 7/8 machines, I highly advise using the Homegroups feature. After installing the drivers onto my wife's laptop, all of my other Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines could automatically do basic printing to the printer by virtue of being on the same Homegroup. In fact, it even worked with my Surface tablet running Windows RT. But I say "basic printing" because I did notice that there was no way to select Duplex and obviously the software wasn't there to receive wireless scans. So if you need to do advanced features from a machine, you will still need to install the software suite onto that machine. But still, this is much more convenient than the old days of having to install the same drivers on every computer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2012 5:16 AM PST

Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS External DVD-Writer - Black
Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS External DVD-Writer - Black
Offered by Platinum Micro, Inc.
Price: $32.26
15 used & new from $15.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Used this to install W8 onto an Ultrabook, December 5, 2012
I had a DVD of Windows 8 but my new Ultrabook didn't have any optical drives. So I bought this product with that purpose in mind. I was worried when I saw it had a two pronged USB cable. The laptop only has two USB ports and they are on opposite sides, so plugging into two ports would have been impossible. Luckily it worked with just one port. Perhaps this is because my ports are USB 3.0 and are therefor able to provide more power than USB 2.0. In any case, the drive was plug and play and ran just fine for me. I'm just going to give this one a 4 start because I have not had enough to time to properly evaluate it over long term use. Also, I'm worried for people that may have to plug into two USB ports as the ends of the cable are too close together. It will only work if your ports are on the same side of your laptop. If sound is a concern to you, I can testify that this drive did get pretty loud, even for a mechanical optical drive.

KitchenAid Blender Pitcher polycarbonate kitchenaid blender jar fits KSB540 KSB560 KSB580
Offered by CulinaryParts
Price: $40.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Has lasted longer than original., November 14, 2012
I bought this to replace my original pitcher. Actually all I really needed was to replace the blades component since that is what actually broke. But I couldn't find a replacement for just that part so I bought this pitcher. What can I say? It works. It has lasted longer than the original as well. I mostly use it to make margaritas.

Page: 1 | 2