Profile for Mostly Harmless > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mostly Harmless RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Canon PowerShot G15 12MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black)
Canon PowerShot G15 12MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black)
Offered by PORTABLE GUY
Price: $419.99
30 used & new from $249.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera!, May 20, 2013
I have had this camera for about two weeks now (including 300+ pictures during a one-week vacation). I am very pleased with the G15 and recommend it.

As others have noted, the camera's case is very precisely constructed and appears to be quite rugged. The camera has a great feel in the hand, and part of this is due to the texture of the case (as well as thoughtful placement of controls).

While this camera is too large for a shirt pocket, it is still considerably smaller than a SLR; it will easily fit into a jacket pocket and will fit into the front pockets of many pants (it is more or less the size of a man's wallet). (The worst picture, by far, is the one you can't take because you don't have your camera with you!)

Image quality is very good. The 1.8 lens is fast and image capture is rapid (I will upload an image of a geyser - captured in one attempt).

The optical viewfinder is very good for situations in which bright light is shining directly onto the digital screen.

The battery life seems great - I captured around 300 images, with lots of reviewing by multiple people, on a single charge.

I probably won't use all of the modes and settings possible on the G15, but still, they are nice to have (especially aperture priority).

Recommended!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Travelpro Luggage Crew 9 24-Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter Bag
Travelpro Luggage Crew 9 24-Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter Bag
Price: $132.99 - $236.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great luggage!, May 20, 2013
My wife and I each own TravelPro Crew 8 20" roll-aboard bags and we recently purchased TravelPro Crew 9 24" bags for each of us, for longer trips (there is about 60% more space in the 24, compared to the 20).

Our experience with the Crew 8 is that they are very well constructed and very durable - we have used them for many, many airline trips, as well as some car trips, and they still look like new. While we have only made one trip with our new Crew 9 24" bags (an international flight, followed by a week of tour bus travel, with daily luggage transfers), these bags look like they will have the same great durability.

TravelPro appears to have resolved a problem that we experienced with the Crew 8's - these Crew 9's do not seem to have a propensity to fall from the upright position (which our Crew 8's do if there is too much weight in the outside pockets or the weight is too high in the bag).

The telescoping handle on the Crew 9 appears to be more rugged than that on the Crew 8. We have never experienced problems with the handle on our Crew 8's, but other reviewers have written that they experienced difficulty with the Crew 8 handle.

Another reviewer has expressed concern about the ruggedness of the zipper pulls. We have never had any problems with the pulls on our Crew 8's and the ones on the Crew 9 appear to be the same.

I have not used the suit hanger on the Crew 9 24", but it appears to be as well thought-out as any I have seen. (My own view is that no suit hanger is perfect; often, if the fabric is forgiving enough, separately rolling the jacket and pants of the suit gives results as good as a suit hanger.)

The only "wish" I had for this bag is color - it only comes in "titanium" (which would easily show dirt, I believe) or black (forcing resort to distinctive luggage tags, bright ribbons, or the like for quick spotting on the luggage carousel).

I highly recommend this bag!

New Balance Men's MX623 Training Tennis Shoe,Navy/White,14 B US
New Balance Men's MX623 Training Tennis Shoe,Navy/White,14 B US
Price: $46.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Good "tennis shoe", April 9, 2013
First, disclosure: I have owned many pairs of New Balance shoes, particularly the 99x series running shoes and have a positive opinion of the company and its products, so that may impact my view of these shoes.

One reason why I purchase New Balance athletic shoes is that NB has width sizing (I have very narrow feet - AA or even AAA in dress shoes).

I found these 623s to be very comfortable right out of the box (no break-in period at all); perhaps the most comfortable first wearing fit of any shoe I have ever owned. Undoubtedly, the availability of a narrow width contributed to that comfort.

I have these shoes for a little over a month. Thus far, the quality seems to be better than other 600 series shoes I have had from NB. (Like others, I have noted that the quality of the 600 series shoes is less than that of the 99x shoes I have owned.)

The 623s are great for casual wear and should be adequate for tennis or cross-training - the sole has good non-skid characteristics, the heel provides a snug fit and the shoe has stabilization features.

As noted by others, the shoes are short and you should order a half-size up (in my case, since I normally wear a 13, I ordered a 14 and it fits well).

Recommended! (But, since feet are different, YMMV!)

Sony Cyber-shot DSCW610 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver) (2012 Model)
Offered by Integrity Woman
Price: $129.95
16 used & new from $46.18

3.0 out of 5 stars OK camera if your expectations aren't too high, April 9, 2013
This winter, while traveling in South America, I fell, landing on, and "fatally" damaging, my Canon PowerShot SD780 IS. Not wanting to rely upon smartphone pictures for the remainder of the trip, I purchased another digital point and shoot - the Sony Cyber-shot DSCW610. I purchased the 610, as options were very limited in that location; also, as I had been forewarned, electronics prices in that location were high - higher than the MSRP in the U.S. and about 50% higher than prices at Amazon, so the 610, near the bottom of the price range for digital point and shoots, made sense in the circumstances.

Indeed, one of the strengths of the 610 is its low price point. Another strength is that it truly is "pocketable" - it comfortably fits in a shirt or pants pocket; the worst digital picture is the one you can't take because you don't have your camera with you!

As noted by others, the 610 has a plastic case (with only the appearance of brushed metal) and doesn't feel at all substantial. (As my fall on the Canon 780 proved, however, even a metal case will not stand up to a strong enough force.) The largest shortcoming of the 610 seems to be that the auto-focus works relatively slowly. Also, my experience has been that the AF doesn't seem to work well consistently - many of my shots with the 610 do not seem to be "crisp". (Reviewing the pictures I took with the Canon 780 prior to its destruction and the images captured with the Sony 610, I found that my "batting average" was definitely better with the Canon 780. I acknowledge that there is a substantial difference in the price of the two cameras.) While the controls on the 610, in general, are straight-forward and intuitive, the on / off switch and the shutter are both rectangles adjacent to one another on the top surface of the camera and sometimes, by feel only, I have to consider which is which (the shutter is slightly larger than the on / off and protrudes a very small amount from the camera top, whereas the on / off is very slightly recessed).

As other reviewers have noted, the computer connector on the Cyber-shot 610 is not a standard size, so don't lose the provided cable!

If price and size are important considerations, and if you are not too picky about your pictures, then the Sony Cyber-shot 610 may be a perfectly reasonable choice for you. If you have higher expectations, then you should consider other cameras.

Francona: The Red Sox Years
Francona: The Red Sox Years
by Terry Francona
Price: $18.73
166 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, but no startling revelations, April 9, 2013
This book is primarily of interest to members of "Red Sox Nation." Others, particularly those wanting to learn more about the life of major league ballplayers and managers, clubhouse dynamics, and the like, may also find Francona: The Red Sox Years interesting.

There are no startling revelations. The players who we assumed all along were Francona's favorites - Lester, Varitek, and, particularly, Pedroia, among others, are confirmed as Francona favorites. Manny Ramirez is confirmed to be the self-centered man-child that he has always appeared to be; the incident in which Ramirez assaulted Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick is described more or less as it appeared in the press at the time. Not surprisingly, Sox President Larry Lucchino is portrayed as the villain of the piece: focused on the financial bottom line and a bit of a back-stabber. The book also fails to shed any significant new light on Francona's departure as Sox manager, two days after the end of the 2011 season; Francona felt unsupported by ownership and, apparently, expressed privately to ownership what he said publicly at the time - that the players needed to hear a new voice.

Despite the fact that Francona and Dan Shaughnessy are listed as co-authors, the book is written in third person - Francona's direct comments are quoted. The assumption, however, is that opinions expressed without attribution are those of Francona. Those who are offended by profanity, be forewarned that "four-letter words" are ubiquitous in this book. This was a quick and enjoyable read.

MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband
MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband
Price: $11.45
30 used & new from $10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work "ideally" with nails, December 18, 2012
Like other MagnoGrip products, this wristband is well constructed. The magnet is strong and I can imagine that it is great for holding screws or small hardware and would be particularly helpful in limited working space. My experience, however is that, contrary to the manufacturer's product description appearing at Amazon ("ideal for holding nails . . . "), this wristband does not work ideally for nails; quite simply, if the band is placed on the wrist of the hand used to hammer, the impact of hammer on nail head exceeds the holding power of the magnet and nails on the band fall off; if the band is placed on the user's other wrist, it is not at all efficient, as then the hammer-holding hand must, while still holding the hammer, grasp a nail and pass it to the wristband-wearing hand for holding during nailing (in fairness to MagnoGrip, one of the secondary pictures at Amazon shows this less-than-ideal arrangement with the band, holding nails, on the non-dominant wrist). Again, a good product, depending upon the intended use and user expectations.

Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception
Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception
Price: $39.99
95 used & new from $24.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work!, October 30, 2011
We added a second HDTV to the household and decided to try an off-air antenna before connecting to the pre-existing cable. Purchased the Terk HDTVa and the Antenna Direct Clearstream 2. The Terk HDTVa did nothing - absolutely no difference in reception between the TV without an antenna and the reception with the Terk. By contrast, the Antenna Direct Clearstream 2 produced better-than-cable quality video. In fairness to the Terk, the transmitters in our area are at the limit of its stated reception - 40 to 45 miles; also the Clearstream is a somewhat more expensive antenna and was given about an 8 foot elevation advantage (attic) over the Terk. Still, the Terk was highly disappointing and I do not recommend it.

Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream Television Antenna
Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream Television Antenna
Offered by SolidSignal
Price: $79.99
6 used & new from $79.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Clear Picture, October 30, 2011
We live about 40 to 45 miles from each of the transmitters in our area. Mounting the Clearstream 2 in the attic, we got incredibly sharp, beautiful reception - better than our cable, really! Ultimately, we decided not to use the Clearstream and connected to our cable (the Clearstream was purchased for a second TV in the household), due to the limited number of channels available in our area. We also found that the Clearstream is somewhat directionally sensitive, so, had we decided to use it, we probably would have invested in a rotor. A very good product!

Ambient Weather WS-1171A Wireless Advanced Weather Station with Temperature, Dew Point, Barometer and Humidity
Price: $34.99
13 used & new from $28.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Great weather station for the price!, October 30, 2011
Unlike other reviewers, I found setup of this weather station very easy (interestingly, setting the time zone was the most difficult part for me). I have had the station for about three months now and have been pleased with its operation. The wireless outdoor sensor works well. It was particularly interesting to watch the pressure drop as Irene approached. For the price, I don't know what more one could want in a weather station. Recommended!

GA110HC-1A Casio G-Shock Limited Edition Blue and Purple Unisex Watch
GA110HC-1A Casio G-Shock Limited Edition Blue and Purple Unisex Watch
Offered by 1stShopUSA
Price: $85.02
58 used & new from $81.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Eye catching watch, October 30, 2011
This watch is very "eye catching" - not only does it have the purple face with bright blue accents, but the case and strap are "glossy", not "flat"; this may actually be objectionable for some - especially the strap. This is a very large watch - it would look out of place on most women and men with smaller wrists and does not easily slide under a long sleeve cuff; also, it is relatively heavy. The digital displays can be hard to see. Also, the light provides only minimal illumination. Being a Casio, I anticipate great accuracy (I have had it only a month, so have inadequate "data" to rate the accuracy of this particular model).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 3:40 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2