Profile for asayanna > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

asayanna RSS Feed (World Traveller)

The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth)
The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth)
by Terry Goodkind
Price: $25.82
347 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A dip in the SOT saga, October 15, 2002
I picked up a copy of Wizards First Rule whilst having Coffee at a bookstore, read the first chapter and was hooked. Something in the imagery conjured up Goodkind in the first chapter just enthralled me and I've been a fan ever since.
I've read all the books in the series and in general have extremely high regard for Goodkind. Wizards First Rule was great. Thought that the last 200 pages were accelerated a bit too much. Stone of Tears was good and so was Blood of the Fold. These first three brought the characters and plot threads together quite successfully. Temple of the Winds was fairly good, however I thought that it dragged a bit. Soul of the Fire did too at the beginning, however it came together quite well at the end and led quite nicely into Faith of the Fallen, which I thought was excellent. No swash buckling stuff... focused on the nature of the relationship (bond) between Richard and Kahlan. Also explored how far Richard could be broken. Kinda very real world especially with regard to bonds between individuals.
In my humble interpretation of his work Goodkind focuses heavily on characterization and the relationship between Kahlan and Richard. He would devote an entire book, like I believe was done in Temple of the Winds, to make a specific statement about a character or of the nature of the relationship between Kahlan and Richard. He's generally quite effective in doing this, however in Temple of the Winds, the story tended to meander without an immediately obvious purpose. All in all though, he is very effective with his characterisation.
Pillars of Creation however is an oddity. Did Goodkind write this? What was it's purpose? Well there was a new character... explored very poorly... and I say that because the characterization, unlike the preceding volumes, was extremely truncated. There was a secondary character, who featured prominently at the beginning, then failed to make a significant impact through the book and finally made a spectacularly fizzled appearance in the last chapter. Richard... our central character... doesn't make an appearance (significant anyway) until the last couple of chapter. Everything was rushed, rushed, rushed! This book is a severe departure to Goodkind's usual careful characterisation.
In general the book was really short... it just lacked direction... and the plot was vague. I'm not certain what Goodkind was attempting to accomplish. The introduction of a new character is my only guess... but it's unlike Goodkind to rush things so!
The imagery that I found in the other books was missing... generally very flat. All in all... very disappointing.
Hey look... I loved the others... there was so much of great stuff there... and more great stuff that Goodkind can explore... I consider this a dip... nothing more (I hope!). I will be the first to buy his next book... Waiting in eager anticipation for the resumption of the real SOT.
-A fan.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2011 6:07 PM PDT