Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Terrence Chay > Reviews

Browse

Terrence Chay's Profile

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terrence Chay "tychay" RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
J-Tech Digital Superspeed Usb 3.0 4-Port Hub Backward Compatible With Usb 2.0 With Usb 3.0 Cable
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $4.99
4 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, July 31, 2012
Plugged in, Powered up. USB 3.0 super-speed hub (4-port) shows in computer (2012 MBA) system report. However, no device (USB 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0) shows up when connected to the hub.

How hard can it be to make a hub?

Methinks Amazon's rating system is being gamed here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2012 4:07 PM PDT

Good Earth Lighting 12-Foot Rope Light, Clear
Good Earth Lighting 12-Foot Rope Light, Clear
Price: $9.99
20 used & new from $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive, unless by "good earth" they mean burn the earth to a cinder, July 7, 2011
Everyone states that this is LED rope lights. These are not. In particular, the 12 foot light I bought uses 23 watts, working out to two watts per foot. Incandescent lighting typically uses 3 watts per foot and all LED ropelights consistently use less than a watt/foot. Furthermore, the spacing on the lights much further than i've seen and much more than the advertising on the box and the photo would indicate. What they aren't showing you is the cord is MUCH thicker than the traditional rope lights so in the photos it looks like the lights are spaced much more closer than they really are.

If these are LED lights, they are the most inefficient LEDs ever manufactured. Two watts/foot with extremely spaced out bulbs? These are thicker and more inefficient than the rope lighting in a decorative light I purchased 10 years ago: before incadescent LED rope lights existed!

The icing on the cake was that by the time I got to install them, I missed the return window with Amazon. I never even opened the box until today. Waste of money no matter what the price, waste of resources, waste of power.

Good Earth my a--. Another Chinese-made b.s. product with deceptive American marketing.

VELCRO Brand - ONE-WRAP Cable Management, Thin Self-Gripping Cable Ties: Reusable, Light Duty - 8" x 1/2" Ties, 50 ct. - Black / Gray
Price: $4.99
75 used & new from $3.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Workhorse for years, June 5, 2011
I purchased these over a decade ago back when they sold them only in 10 packs (I bought three), and they've lasted for that time and still work today. Relative to those, these are a total steal in price. :-)

A few of these were in rotation for my daily travel bag's power supplies and such so don't worry about wearing them out. Granted they pick up lint and hair like nobody's business, but even now, when I've replaced most of their duties with CableBuddies, I still have need to cinch down cable BUNDLES in a few places and these do the job. And for that, the fancy "colored" ones don't serve half as good cable duty (you don't want to exactly draw attention to bundles).

Over the old velcro tape design that I used before that, these have a loop. The way you use it is to choose one "key" cable (or the end of a cable) and loop it around and threw the loop tightly. Then you wrap it around the bundle and velcro it down. Should for hundreds (or thousands) of adjustments.

So here is the low down. For 90% of what others suggest you buy these things for, you should get CableBuddies, if you can afford them. Remember CableBuddies bulk work to a little under $1 per, while these are a tenth the cost (then again, CableBuddies are made in the USA and have higher cost materials). On the other hand, how expensive are the devices and appliances you are bundling? Is $1/cable really going to set you back? But if you want to bundle cables or are on a tight budget, these are the best things going (if you are on a real tight budget, that you buy a roll of velcro tape and cut your own, I suggest getting out of the cabling business) . Also there are some things the CableBuddies are too small to chinch down and you are better off with these.

I think color is a personal thing, but if you are color coding, my thought is get something like a CableBuddy. And since most cabling is still black, these things will disappear. In situations where white cabling is involved, you will notice those are "single cable" situations (iMac/Powerbook, surround speaker wire, etc.). There are exceptions--my subwoofers are in my speaker set and the high end subwoofer cable is not black, XBOX seems to have a penchance for the color gray, etc.--but not enough to warrant actually getting any color other than what Henry Ford recommends (any color you want, as long as it is black).

For travel, other than power, look for retractable USB cables (MacAlly even makes one for the iPod).

I'd have given this 5 stars years ago, but since that time (cable buddies, cable boxes, retractable cabling), I feel its utility is diminishes it a star. Another star is because I think after a decade, they would have switched the the denser velcro design, so it won't pick up dust or carpet lint or hair. Some of my cable ties are little dust animals in their own right after years of service. :-)

Bluelounge CableBox White - Cable Management
Bluelounge CableBox White - Cable Management
Offered by BrandRack
Price: $26.40
25 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars White one may discolor with age, June 5, 2011
I purchased this a number of years ago, which I wrote about: [...]. It's just a box with two holes in it, but it actually works and has survived two moves. The device comes with a bunch of tie twists or zip ties (forgot which) which you can do yourself a favor and throw away (mine are still taped to the cablebox), and instead get a bunch of CableBuddies or velcro zip ties.

Use this in places where you cannot hide the cabling. For instance, companies sell clamp-on or screw-mount cableways (or you can DIY a pegboard) and almost all power supplies have screw mounts for wall or desk mounting so you probably should use those over these on office desks and plain tables. Also, avoid this if you have only a few electronics since companies like Belkin make designer power supplies for hiding cables and a good set of CableBuddies will allow you to shorten and organize a few cables

However in places like exposed TV mount setups, kitchen offices, and the like, the cablebox really comes in handy if you have a lot of electornics. The box is quite big and needs to be for it to work well. If it is too big for you then that area would have been better served with cable ties and cord organizers.

The CableBox is both simple and thoughful which, in my opinion, is the hallmark for good design. I am docking a star because my white one yellowed over a number of years due to sun exposure and heat (of the power supplies). I'm docking another star for the value--I'd personally pay more with a higher quality plastic, or the price of these should be less so you can buy tons. If it were made in the USA, I'd understand the premium. Also be aware that since I wrote my review, these are also available in more colors than black and white and also in smaller sizes (though see the limited utility above). So consider those before purchasing. I do recommend these and the Bluelounge brand, so don't let my three stars discourage you from making a purchase (even this one). You are better with one of these organizing cable clutter than without.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2015 3:48 PM PDT

Bluelounge CableBox - Black - Cable Management 15.6 X 5.7 inches
Bluelounge CableBox - Black - Cable Management 15.6 X 5.7 inches
Offered by BrandsWalk
Price: $23.51
26 used & new from $22.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple design that works, June 5, 2011
I purchased this a number of years ago, which I wrote about:[...]. It's just a box with two holes in it, but it actually works and has survived two moves. The device comes with a bunch of tie twists or zip ties (forgot which) which you can do yourself a favor and throw away (mine are still taped to the cablebox), and instead get a bunch of CableBuddies or velcro zip ties.

The reason you should get the black one is because the white one will discolor over a number of years due to sun exposure and heat (of the power supplies). The CableBox is both simple and thoughful which, in my opinion, is the hallmark for good design. I'm docking 1 star for the price--I'd personally pay more with a higher quality plastic, or the value of these things should be less so you can buy tons. If it were made in the USA, I'd understand. Also be aware that since I wrote my review, these things are also available in more colors than black and white. So consider those before purchasing.

Cable Buddy® 50-pack, Black - Cable Organizer Ties with Color ID Labels
Cable Buddy® 50-pack, Black - Cable Organizer Ties with Color ID Labels
Offered by Winning Goal Products, LLC
Price: $45.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Get these first, then other things, May 28, 2011
Before this I used velcro ties and a Brother labeler, sometimes I'd use the included twist ties and sometimes I use zip ties. What I do now is use these + a 1/2" Brother EZ labels. I lose the color-coding, but if that is your thing, you can always tape the color dots on top of the labels instead of using the handwritten ones. Also the 1/2" is slightly larger than the windows (3/8") and you should always print two lines so that the label choses a font small enough to fit the width. If the cables are common enough (USB, CAT-5/ethernet, co-ax-cable, stereo, etc.) it might be useful to use the second line to show the length of the cable or what the opposite end plug type is (male/female, mini/micro/USB-A, miniDVI/Display Port, etc.), .

The advantage of these over a labeler by itself is that you don't always have a surface to attach the labels. You end up creating little flags that are really annoying to use. Also here these are always in a place that is handy. Just remember to attach the cable buddies on the power outlet or computer side since that is where there are a lot of cables going in that is easily confused. Oftentimes, if I need to cinch things down a bit, I might drag the cablebuddy back a little bit and then wrap the extra stuff to drop in a box. It's not too hard.

The advantage of these over velcro ties is that you have built-in labeling and bungies don't pick up lint. After a number of uses, my velcro ties are kind of used up. Keep your old velco ties for tying together huge bundles of cables though.

The advantage of these over zip ties as they are reusable and they are labelable. Save the zip ties for permanent stuff (like tying down cables on your bicycle). They're also easy to undo and repurpose.

Finally you can leave them on even when the cable is fully extended and tuck the bungee away so these are simply labels. Granted at $1/cable they are not cheap labels, but they do. In my opinion if it's not worth spending $1 to identify them, it's probably not worth keeping the cable.

Negatives: It takes a little while to figure out how to use them so I'd check the website videos and practice on the first cable a bit. Large power cords are difficult to set up and sometimes are impossible of they are too thick, if the cables are thick, the bungee has limited utility to cinch things down or organize them. I'd use velcro ties for them in general.

Overall buy this pack because there are a lot more cables than you think (kitchen, hair dryier, power tools, iron, etc.) in addition to electronics. And, if you have some leftover, drop them in your toolchest. I purchased 55 and ran out of them just cabling my entertainment unit and my home networking. Still haven't even scratched my home office or the girlfriend's, or much of the other household tools. By the way, none of them broke once, nor did the bungee snap. Can't comment on the labels.

Swiss+Tech ST66676 Polished SS 6-in-1 Utility Key Multitool for Keychain for Auto, Camping, Hardware
Price: $7.50
22 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars If you remember it's there it's quite convenient, November 16, 2010
I've had one of these on my keychain for three years now. I actually lost one (took it off, used it, and left it somewhere), and I bought another one. It's that useful. The great thing is this really is as small as a housekey and has similarly flat profile, so it`s not much of a cost to have it on your chain. I can't say the same for my Leatherman (great tool, but really only for home).

The hard part is remembering you have this on your keychain. The next hardest part is how inconvenient to get this on and off the keychain. Good thing the blade isn't that sharp and that it`s tight enough that it's not going to fall off the keychain by accident! Last, I'd say is after using it to remember to put it back!

The most used attachment is the blade. I use it to open packages and other small jobs. After that, the bottle opener which works though it is hard to use (and is the reason I bought it in the first place, to replace a keychain bottle opener). I think though over time I've used almost every attachment once (except the hook thing which I don't know if it even counts as a tool) in order to go MacGuyver on things. I really don't think the screwdrivers look nearly as good as the tools I use so I wouldn't put much faith in them beyond an emergency.

I usually take this thing off my keys when I go air traveling, but sometimes I forget. I've never once been stopped yet, but I figure it may be related to how I have this placed relative to other keys which may be occluding things in the X-ray machine or just luck. The couple of times I accidentally dropped in my Leatherman I was caught (every time) and had to mail it home before continuing through security.

I wish the tooling on this were a bit better. There should be a law against using "Swiss" in names for stuff made in China. :-D If Leatherman made one of these, it would totally rock. Alas, I think most people are so cheap they would be turned off by the price.

KitchenAid KHB300ER Hand Blender, Empire Red
KitchenAid KHB300ER Hand Blender, Empire Red

5.0 out of 5 stars immersion blenders are a godsend. Get one, possibly this., November 16, 2010
My girlfriend will give me back this blender when I pry it form her cold, dead hands. Immersion blenders are so much better than normal ones for 90% of what you want to do. You can puree soups right in the pot without having to transfer it in batches to a regular blender. It quickly makes shakes so what becomes a rare treat can be a daily habit (esp. good for protein shakes), etc.

As for this one, I bought it based on the fact that it was universally recommended as being the best and has some insane power for a hand blender. I wanted a unique color, so I paid a little extra for the Red (Amazon.com didn't carry it at the time of purchase, so I purchased on Amazon via Chef's Catalog). BTW, blenders this powerful are corded, just FYI since the pictures don't show this. If you are used to anything battery operated, this one is much larger than you'd think. Luckily it's easy to disassemble and store in the included bag.

This model, unlike the other KitchenAid comes with some attachments because I thought what the heck--there really is no need for it, but if you do you can get rid of your electric whisker and food processor (in my case, I got rid of the food processing attachment on my stand mixer). The only problem we've had so far we had some trouble removing the chopping attachment after blending, but I think that will be okay as we use it more.

By the way, my stand mixer is a Delonghi, not a KitchenAid. So I didn't buy it for the brand.

I can't comment on durability. I've killed four blenders over my life, but I don't task this one nearly as hard as I did those. I assume that if it fails under regular use, I'll contact KitchenAid. I've had to that before with the blenders (different brand).

Monster Outlets To Go MP OTG300 LTOP 300 for Laptops 3 Outlets, 2 USB - Bubble Package
Offered by Fast Bargains
Price: $7.00
10 used & new from $3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great travel charger but with caveats, November 16, 2010
First of all, if you are looking for value, just get a triple cube grounding adapter. This is a power plug shaped lie a cube with three outlets on it. Super cheap, and for the size of one of these, you can drop two in your bag.

The construction of this one is great, and unlike the previous version includes two USB charging ports. No more putting your computer into this and your usb stuff into your computer. (Exception: I notice my iPad charging is super slow and sometimes doesn't work. I think the power rating on these USB ports is low. This isn't the end of the world because I carry an iPad charging battery and usually charge off that, but you don't). Also, the flip out power cable keeps it from getting snagged in your bag.

The caveats are simply the shape and practicality that you should consider before purchasing. For instance, When plugged into the lower unit of most wall outlets, there will be very little clearance for the one up top. When plugged into the upper unit, it will completely block the lower. If the power outlet is ground level (not common) theen it's an either-or thing: either face it one way and get 2 USB + 1 power or the othr way and get 2 power. If you are trying to get it outlet behind a nightstand (a common case in hotels), forget about going there. Instead bring a mini extension cable and plug this into that.

Having said that, this is in my travel bag. At night, all I need to do is find one outlet that works in the hotel and I can charge everything I own. At conferences, I can hijack an outlet another is using and still give them power, etc. Plus, it's stylish.

Of course, having said that, you probably should look for a triple cube. :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2011 3:44 AM PDT

Macally Retractable USB to 30 Pin Cable White ResyncCable
Macally Retractable USB to 30 Pin Cable White ResyncCable
Offered by XSforU
Price: $11.99
9 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars You should get one of these, November 15, 2010
The cable is actually string-like (vs. cable like), but it actually works and retracts nicely. Like most retractables, if you mess it up, it's pretty easy to shift the center back so it retracts evenly. Unlike most retractables, this is a very flat cable. It's no thicker than the connectors. Very good for packing!

It's white so it matches all that Apple stuff, and it has a low profile connector so it works with the iPad/iPhone 4 and other new devices/cases/related-crap-made for such devices.

These are so convenient for travel because the width of the iPod end being what it is makes most cables very fragile at that point--even my gajillion Apple-made iPod/iPhone cables are all fraying at the neck. Every. Single. One.

Not so with this. Drop it in your bag, as a travel iPod cable and leave the one that came with it as a home dock or something.

I dropped it a star because the extended length is really short. The whole thing is like 20" end-to-end while a regular cable that comes with your computer is almost twice that.

Page: 1 | 2