Profile for Will > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Will RSS Feed

Lifetime 1558 XL Base Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System with Clear 52-Inch Square Shatter Guard Backboard
Price: $299.75
13 used & new from $275.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice system, very satisfied, July 16, 2011
We purchased this item, arrived on Wednesday in less than a week from Amazon. I spent 4-5 hours putting it together myself today and now that it is done and we've used it for a couple of hours I can say we are quite pleased with it. Very happy to have gone with a 52" backboard, I don't think you want any smaller but I also don't see the need to go any bigger than this. Some of the other reviews had complaints about the backboard either in shipping (scratches) or in vibration, but we don't have either of those issues. The backboard comes with a plastic peel off coating which protects during shipping. The backboard also has metal all around the outside so this provides sturdiness. I am quite happy with it it takes 15-20ft bank shots quite well. As to the height adjustment, this is very easy to do - even a kid can adjust the height from 7 1/2 feet to 10 feet with one hand. Very nice system in that regard. And yes I threw down a few dunks at 9' to see how it held up, very good stability although I don't think you want your 16yr old hanging off the rim for too long (the rim is spring loaded therefore flexible when dunking). A few other thoughts: putting it together will take some time, here are some tips: one person can put it together but you'll want to have plenty of lawn furniture and/or outside chair cushions to prop the pole and backboard up on as you are assembling. Lining up the holes on the small/large support bars with the pole is the hardest part. Also, you're going to want an electric drill, not a cordless, as drilling the 10 or so screw holes on the backboard and pole (2) was much easier with an electric drill. Last, be careful with the pole going into the base as there is only one way it can go (don't install it upside down like I did, had to take the wheels back off which is a pain). Also there is a part for the height adjustment which the instructions don't make really clear which side it should be on (put it on the back toward the base and away from the rim). Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and don't see the need to spend $900 on one of the more expensive Spalding models. As to tippyness, the unit is quite stable at all heights when filled with water, but we'll probably leave it on its lowest height when away as we live in a quite windy locale.