Profile for Elana Setton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elana Setton "EApt" RSS Feed (Thornhill, Ontario Canada)

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
by Sheryl Sandberg
Price: $15.02
323 used & new from $4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it! (But it's not perfect), March 23, 2013
This was a fun, interesting and very quick read for me. This may be a bit of a long review, but I wanted to note all the positive and negative points that I found throughout my reading:

The good:
I really like Sheryl (in that "I don't know this 'celebrity', but I feel like I like her anyways" kind of way). She seems personable, and exactly the kind of boss I'd love to work with - someone who wants and values VERY hardworking employees who are striving to build successful careers, but who also appreciates that people have lives outside of the office.

Her writing flows nicely, the pages turn quickly and you don't get bored reading this book.

The books was very thought-provoking for me. I felt totally inspired reading it....and yet I broke down in tears when I finished, as I also felt like I had a very tough road ahead, trying to 'balance' my personal and professional life. I recently passed up a huge career opportunity because I didn't think I could balance the new position with my family obligations, even though my spouse was so supportive. I've felt at peace with my decision, but reading this book made me wonder whether I hadn't made the wrong decision after all. That stung!

I like so many of the anecdotes that Sandberg employs throughout the book. They bring her ideas to life. I especially appreciated the portion of the book where she discussed mentorship. She really helped me learn what a real mentor/apprentice relationship should look like. After reading her book, I realize that I had unrealistic and unproductive ideas about how to land a great mentor and how to maximize the benefits of the relationships for both of us. What a great lesson to learn!

Lastly, I want to touch upon some of the criticism this book has been receiving. Many have noted that Sandberg is 'out of touch' with so many working women, who are too busy trying to make ends meet to really worry about some of the loftier goals she discusses in the book. I think that's a very unfair criticism. While it's true that many women would not find Sandberg's material relevant to their careers, there are hundreds of thousands of others who are in the same boat as Sandberg and who could benefit hugely from her advice. You can't please everyone when you're giving business advice. One book can't be used to advise the back room stock boy and the CEO at the same time. Just because lower-income, blue collar employees may not see themselves in the examples, doesn't mean the book is worthless. There are so many people who live the life she describes. What's wrong with having a book for us?!

The 'bad':
Ok, there's nothing really terrible about this book. I should probably call this section "the somewhat disappointing". If you're a Sandberg fan, as I am, you've likely watched many of her speeches on YouTube. If so, you'll find many (if not most) of the stories, ideas and examples have been taken directly from these speeches (sometimes word for word) and put in the book. If you haven't seen the videos of the speeches, then this won't be a problem for you, as it'll all be new stuff. But for many readers, I imagine they'll be a bit of a let down by how much of it is repetitive.

Am I glad I read this books? Yes. Was it as superb as I expected? No, unfortunately not. Would I recommend it? Yes, I would. In fact, I will likely read it again, as I've set up my own one-time book club with other professional women n my community who want to read and discuss the book. I think Sandberg's book will be an amazing platform from which to launch interesting discussions about how to improve our lives and careers. I look forward to reading the book again, drawing out interesting statistics and ideas, and discussing them with women like myself!

The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath
The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath
by Joseph I. Lieberman
134 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for Jew and non-Jew alike!, September 11, 2011
This is a great book for anyone interested in learning more about how observant Jews spend their Sabbath. It's also ideal for Jews, like me, who need a bit of a reminder about all the reasons we do so many of the ritual acts on the Sabbath.
Written in an easy, uplifting and conversational tone, this book was a quick and interesting read. I loved all the personal anecdotes Lieberman included, as they really helped illustrate why the Sabbath is so important to him.
Mostly, though, I appreciated Lieberman's philosophy about the Sabbath, its place in his life, and the manner in which he observes (or reasons he sometimes needs to violate the Sabbath for the good of his community).