Profile for Mark > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 238

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark "MTF" RSS Feed (Waltham, MA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Headmaster's Wife
The Headmaster's Wife
by Thomas Christopher Greene
Price: $16.58
88 used & new from $6.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging at times, August 7, 2014
This review is from: The Headmaster's Wife (Hardcover)
This novel engaged me at the start. It begins as a first person narrative by the headmaster of a private school who becomes infatuated by a student. The novel moves from past to present in a good way, with the headmaster's years as a student a big part of the story (and a good part). Then it gets weird, and I almost quit. The second half switches to the headmaster's wife as narrator, which I liked more, but one key part of her life was something I just could not believe. No spoiler here. I almost quit again, but stayed with it, and I'm glad I did, because I loved the ending. This novel is about family and relations, and secondarily about school life. The good parts are very good, capturing lives over many years.

Skin Deep
Skin Deep
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A very engaging thriller, July 28, 2014
This review is from: Skin Deep (Kindle Edition)
This novel is a well written, quite engaging medical thriller. This is a good police mystery with characters I liked and believed, and good pacing made this a great summer beach read. Most thrillers bore me these days, but this kept my interest. I liked the new angle of a plastic surgeon in the midst of things. Some parts felt predictable, but were still fun. This is a solid 4.5 star mystery thriller. The end was un-put-down-able! I will certainly check out this author again.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: $8.36
500 used & new from $4.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but didn't grab me, July 14, 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
This book felt like such a quality novel, but it was too fairy-tale-ish for my adult tastes. I confess I stopped about a quarter of the way through the book, so it might have gotten better, but I had had enough. I listened to the audio-book, and there was a lot to like, but I just got tired waiting for this book about a young girl's survival in Nazi Germany to grab me.

The Coffin Dancer (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
The Coffin Dancer (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
by Jeffery Deaver
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
363 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars but I loved The Bone Collector so much, July 14, 2014
Solid mystery. This is a sequel to The Bone Collector in the Lincoln Rhyme series. I mostly avoid any series because the same formula usually bores me, but I loved The Bone Collector so much, I gave the second book a try. The Coffin Dancer was an enjoyable mystery, well written, with quadriplegic Lincoln Rhyme almost Sherlock Holmes-ish in his deductive abilities. Good criminals and fast pacing made this fun to read. That said, this was not as great as the first novel of the series, but good enough for me to check out another in the series in another year.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (Book 1)
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (Book 1)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: $8.44
1973 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple sweet story that slowly grew on me, June 27, 2014
The main character is a smart, somewhat naive, fat, and good African woman from Botswana. She uses inherited money to start a detective business, and figures it out on the go. There are many short stories from her new career in this book. The writing and characters are simple, and at first, I wondered what the bug fuss was about, but the novel slowly drew me in. I think that Mma Ramotswe is such a warm character that I found myself enjoying time spent with her. The little episodes often made me smile, but the main character was the glue that kept this together. I liked this novel.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 12.0, English
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 12.0, English
Price: $34.07
137 used & new from $22.99

1.0 out of 5 stars did not work, June 26, 2014
I would not complete the profile stage, and so the software never recognized my voice. It missed half my words when I tried to dictate. Maybe there is some tech support that can help. They do not make it easy to find.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies
Dragon NaturallySpeaking For Dummies
by Stephanie Diamond
Price: $18.88
56 used & new from $14.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get the program to work; the book did not help, June 26, 2014
I could not get the software to work. The book seemed helpful if I got past the early stage, but the trouble shooting section did not help me.

Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
by Richard Kluger
Price: $21.31
94 used & new from $5.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting legal drama; great civil rights history; 5+ stars, June 22, 2014
This book does an amazing job chronicling the legal battle to overturn the "separate but equal" Supreme Court ruling. Great personalities and great legal drama make this an amazing read. This was as compelling as the best legal fiction. It is such an interesting legal journey leading to Brown v. Boa5d of Education, and so well written. Thurgood Marshal is heroic! I cannot recommend a book higher.

The North Face El Rio II Men's Sandals - Black
The North Face El Rio II Men's Sandals - Black
Price: $46.50 - $55.00

2.0 out of 5 stars design flaw with straps, June 19, 2014
I loved the original North Face El Rio sandal, but the new model has such small straps and they barely fit over my foot. The velcro ends barely overlapped, which means they will lot stick as long, plus there is so much exposed velcro on the top of the sandal. It looks poor. I wear an 11.5 shoe. With the old model, a size 11 was almost too big! With the new model, the 11 is much too small. It's possible a size 12 would fit okay, but I expect there'd still be some exposed velcro on top. If you have a thin foot and get a larger size, this could be a great sandal for you. Just not for me.

by Daniel James Brown
Price: $10.20
83 used & new from $7.21

5.0 out of 5 stars 5+++ A great and powerful story!, June 12, 2014
This amazing book is the best sports biography I have ever read. It is as good as any biography, and one of the best books I have ever read. I knew little about crew before reading this, and still the story drew me in so completely that I was in tears more than once. Maybe two or three books have ever done that. This book captures the lives of the people involved, the times and places, and the incredible drama of the sport. This captures life in the Depression in the Pacific northwest. It captures the whole college crew experience at that time, and the portrait of the 1936 German Olympics was amazing. The men involved were true American heroes. The writing is perfect. Anyone with any interest in history, biography, or sports will love this.I think this might be the only book I recall that averaged 5 stars on Amazon. I can see why. I was so riveted by this that I even read every word of the acknowledgements.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20