Profile for Jackie Newman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jackie Newman RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Melissa & Doug Suspend
Melissa & Doug Suspend
Offered by YOUR DEAL SOURCE, LLC
Price: $21.99
72 used & new from $13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustration!, December 26, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Suspend (Toy)
The game is not fun and simply frustrating. I tried playing with my daughter and she ended up in tears. We changed the rules to "two hands" and still, the thing collapsed on us. I tried building by myself after she gave up and still made little progress. This misses the sweet spot of challenging but not impossible. When adults like myself are frustrated, you know the game is too hard for kids. I regret buying this.

Foam Shoulder Rest for 1/4 Violin - Firm
Foam Shoulder Rest for 1/4 Violin - Firm
Offered by Johnson String Instrument
Price: $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, April 27, 2014
My daughter tried one shoulder rest after another and none worked for her until we found this one. Finally, her violin is stable on her shoulder and she can focus on fingerings and bowing.

The Mane Event (The Pride Series)
The Mane Event (The Pride Series)
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Crude with thin plot, April 27, 2014
The "plot" mainly seems to be there to link one sex scene to another. The world had such potential, but instead of developing characters, the author seems intent on trotting out one crude slang word after another. If the point is to demean the human body and sex drive, the author succeeded. I started skipping ahead trying to find the story... and finally gave up in disgust. The entire plot can be summarized thusly: Boy feels lust for one female, pursues her. She feels lust in return; they have sex. To keep justifying the sex, they occasionally emerge into a poorly developed world so they can think lustful thoughts about each other. This results in sex at the next opportunity. Repeat until the book ends.

Up From the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
Up From the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $5.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh. Predictable and bland, February 4, 2014
Too much of the book repeated character choices seen in past books. I guess the lessons were not learned the first time around. And the big plot twist? It was predictable from the prologue. The ending felt rushed, forced, and saccharine sweet. I'm disappointed in this last volume. Cat and Bones grew over the course of the series and regressed back to start for this one. I expected better from Frost for this last volume. But my the disappointment with the Vlad series, I guess my expectations should have been lower.

Disney's Mickey Ears Ice Cream Antenna Topper - Disney Parks Exclusive & Limited Availability
Offered by WDW Collectibles
Price: $7.90
3 used & new from $6.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor design, November 21, 2013
We got it at the parks because we love the ice cream and wanted this reminder. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to install. I mean REALLY REALLY difficult. And it didn't last as long as it should have for that reason.

Animal Planet Wooden Pet Ladder  Colors and styles may vary
Animal Planet Wooden Pet Ladder Colors and styles may vary
Offered by Britt & Jules
Price: $55.79
7 used & new from $39.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Steps are good, support is not., November 17, 2013
I got this about a week ago and am pleased with the look and fit. The steps themselves are sturdy. However, I'm going to be reinforcing the support structure so it lasts. I would not buy it to use as is for very long, because the support system is flimsy. Instead, it's saving me the hassle of building steps from scratch. Until I reinforce it, I will continue to check it daily to ensure the latches beneath are not coming loose. I recommend setting it up and leaving it up. Continually folding it flat for storage will just put wear and tear on the latches, which are the weakest point of the whole system.

As Twilight Falls
As Twilight Falls
by Amanda Ashley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
123 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Kidnapping and mind control are not romantic, August 25, 2013
Being held captive and mind controlled into responding is not romantic. Throwing in some Stockholm syndrome for a touch of "romance" is pathetic. This author can do a lot better.

This belongs in the horror section, not romance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2014 2:13 PM PST

Round Replacement Trampoline Net for 15 Ft. 3 Arch Enclosure System
Round Replacement Trampoline Net for 15 Ft. 3 Arch Enclosure System
Offered by Trampoline Pro
Price: $63.79
5 used & new from $55.20

1.0 out of 5 stars I'll be shocked it if lasts the season, April 6, 2013
I got this as a replacement net for our 4 year old trampoline. The old net was developing holes and the net from the original manufacturer was on backorder.

This net came with no directions.
Worst of alll, this net has no reinforced hem. There are tiny holes in the mesh where the springs go through to connect to the trampoline mat. The old net had slits in the reinforced hem that let the metal triangles on the mat edge go completely through. That way, there was no space between the hem of the net and the edge of the trampoline mat, and the springs never touched the net. This new net, with the tiny holes made that impossible. As a result, there is a net/mat gap at the edge of the mat. And the holes do not easily line up with the springs. I fought and fought to stretch this net into place. And after all that, it prevents the blue pad that covers the springs from lying flat. That's because the circumference of this net is several inches larger than the former net even though its the same size frame. Setting it up was a bear.

If the hem withstands the season, given the wear and tear the spring/clip connection will apply to the hem of the net, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Updated mid summer after 4 months of use: It will be going into the trash soon. The straps that, in theory, hold the net up have begun to give way. One is currently held in place with a handful of safety pins and some colorful words; it is completely torn away from the netting. Since there are only 6 straps across the top (instead of 9), there is no way to secure the net to the top center of the arch. This places extra strain on the 6 straps that are present. Worse, the straps slide down the vertical posts and I cannot count the times I've had to drag out the ladder to haul the net back into place. The "reinforcements" to the netting where the straps attach is clearly inadequate.

Red
Red
Offered by dallastexasmedia
Price: $39.99
13 used & new from $5.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed her previous 3 albums. This one seems bland and boring in comparison. There are some okay tracks, but none that make me reach for this cd on my daily commute. If fact, I find myself switching over to Speak Now or National Public Radio instead. The clever storytelling songs of past albums don't show up here. Rather you get a song that practically chants "stay" endlessly. Yawn. I know she can do better than this, as I have 3 albums to prove it. Hopefully her next album gets her back on track. This one? It may be selling well, but I don't think it's going to hold up to repeated listening as her past albums have done.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2013 10:22 AM PDT

LEGO® City Airport 3182
LEGO® City Airport 3182
Offered by Toys 'N' Tech
Price: $399.99
18 used & new from $199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego city airport review, October 14, 2012
This review is from: LEGO® City Airport 3182 (Toy)
Written by my 12 yr old son: The Lego Airport is a good set over all. However, I would not recommend it for younger kids as some pieces are fragile. The control tower is unrealistic as it is barely taller than the airport itself. The tower is also very challenging to put together. But it is a very good set for collectors and older kids.

My ratings for this set:

Little kids: 6.5/10 because it has a lot of space for mini figure play